• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

There's a lot more here than meets the eye.

Time of past OR future Camino
Yearly and Various 2014-2019
Via Monastica 2022
In another thread, I just posted a photo of a hermitage near Villafranca Montes de Oca that most people walk by without much inspection. (Well, OK. I speak for myself, TBH.)
IMG_7515.JPG
But it turns out to be very old and very interesting:

It just goes to show that if you have an interest in something that you might encounter on the camino it pays to do a little digging beforehand, so that you don't just shrug and walk on by. Because there are lots of places like this.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
In another thread, I just posted a photo of a hermitage near Villafranca Montes de Oca that most people walk by without much inspection. (Well, OK. I speak for myself, TBH.)
View attachment 132318
But it turns out to be very old and very interesting:

It just goes to show that if you have an interest in something that you might encounter on the camino it pays to do a little digging beforehand, so that you don't just shrug and walk on by. Because there are lots of places like this.
very nice article. with links to a search engine to becerro with transcriptions!!! 🤪

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I don't follow? (Sorry, a bit dense...)
when they are talking about the oldest mentiones of the monastery in the documents, the second document date links to a page with the digital becerro de san millan de la cogolla with scanned pages, transcriptions (if you switch to latin) and translations. from there, you can search the entire becerro. (it takes a while to load new searches and the map doesn't work for me :-(.)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
That is so far over my head it is no wonder I had no idea, @caminka.
OMG.
OK. I am turning this machine off now, lest I do irreparable harm to mine or anyone else's productivity!
:oops:;)
don't feel down, medieval crazy here. :p I just love that beautiful and amazing art.

right now I am doing some research for our national museum in connection with an exhibition coming up next year and I am reaquainting myself with web pages with scanned illuminations (and manuscripts), table paintings, frescoes, objects... from middle ages. to my surprise, some have been taken down since I was there pre-covid.

my problem is that I have difficulty remaining focused on the themes I need to search for because there's sooo much amazing stuff on there. it's a rabbit hole, it really is.

if you are interested, here are some:

- imareal for austrian, slovenian, czech, hungarian and german art (it works in german)
- larsdatter for themed pages with links to all kinds of stuff like occupations, tools, animals, clothing...
- british library's digitalised illuminated manuscripts
- netherland's national library's digitalised illuminated manuscripts
- french public libraries' collections of illuminated manuscripts
- 800 illuminated manuscripts and more manuscripts from france and england
- metropolitan museum of art collections online

I'll stop now...

Is that what this is too? (on the way into Nerja)

View attachment 132332

I've always wondered.
no, this is a reconstruction of a shepherd's hut, I believe. possibly on/near the spot where Roland fought Ferragut. nothing to do with any monastery as far as I know.

similar huts appear in similar conditions (dry summer lands) in France, for example.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Not seeing things----The picture below is a rock with Pictographs located on the Primitivo. It is located about two meters off the path with a large historical sign describing it. When I showed the picture to others that day and posted the Picture on other Camino sites, no one recalled ever noticing it as they walked next to it! I still do not see any footprint pictographs.

Attachments

• pictograph 2.jpg
    pictograph 2.jpg
    397.2 KB · Views: 121
It only goes to show that one can spend.... IDK... 5 years walking Camino Frances and probably still don't hit everything
Looking back at my Pilgrimage and re-living the days I cannot believe how much stuff I "missed" - some no more but mere couple of feet away....
(At least I saw the archeological dig of Castro de Castromaior)

Attachments

• 20220621_073500.jpg
    20220621_073500.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 69
  • 20220621_074723.jpg
    20220621_074723.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 48
  • 20220621_074801.jpg
    20220621_074801.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 43
  • 20220621_074817.jpg
    20220621_074817.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 90
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Not seeing things----The picture below is a rock with Pictographs located on the Primitivo. It is located about two meters off the path with a large historical sign describing it. When I showed the picture to others that day and posted the Picture on other Camino sites, no one recalled ever noticing it as they walked next to it! I still do not see any footprint pictographs.
the problem with pictographs is that you usually need to be versed in seeing them. they can be covered in lichen, for example, or worn out by rain and wind. you also need to try to see them from different angles because light falling onto a pictographs from a different position may reveal it.

I remember going to a rock with pictographs off the camino on the way to cee with another pilgrim. we walked around, did squats, stretches, almost upside-downs, but neither could see them.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I haven't. Pathetic, but for some reason I always miss the turnoff.
I think the camino used to go further down the slope when I was there like, 15 years ago. this year I remember thinking 'huh, this goes a bit more up then I remember' and then there was the split, clearly marked with an info board. lots of pilgrims did the detour even in windy and rainy conditions.
the castro is literally above the camino now.

the problem with pictographs is that you usually need to be versed in seeing them. they can be covered in lichen, for example, or worn out by rain and wind. you also need to try to see them from different angles because light falling onto a pictographs from a different position may reveal it.

I remember going to a rock with pictographs off the camino on the way to cee with another pilgrim. we walked around, did squats, stretches, almost upside-downs, but neither could see them.
this is the pictograph sign and another view of the rock

Attachments

• pictograph 1.jpg
    pictograph 1.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 33
  • pictograph 3.jpg
    pictograph 3.jpg
    443.3 KB · Views: 46
A selection of Camino Jewellery

Yes, it is really sad that people have the whole world of knowledge at their fingertips, but don't bother to use it.

-Paul

I took another look at your first photo and encircled what I think might be two footprints.

View attachment 132469
You might be right! I stood there for quite a while and could not see any footprints. That evening I showed the pictures to other hikers staying in the albergue and not a single person had even noticed the BIG sign and the rock!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yes, it is really sad that people have the whole world of knowledge at their fingertips, but don't bother to use it.
Not sure which is more sad: that, or the opposite, i.e., the people that believe (and repost) all the complete nonsense we also have at our fingertips.

In addition to VN's original photo, I was very curious about this picture I took; off in the distance on the Frances not far after leaving Belorado, but I never researched it...anyone know details about it?
Screenshot_20220910-132324~2.png

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
In addition to VN's original photo, I was very curious about this picture I took; off in the distance on the Frances not far after leaving Belorado, but I never researched it...anyone know details about it?
View attachment 132650
Ah!! Too late now! A perfect example of why one should not pre-book and just let the Camino lead you to places. The site is in Tosantos....and the nearby albergue is an incredible experience. There is also a public Albergue next door to the "monastery" albergue. Stayed there on my first Camio Frances, but did not stay there on second walk as I was walking the Camino Frances with a Protestant minister who HATES Catholics and refused to stay in a place with "Monks"/ "Brothers".

My experience? After the Communal meal where EVERYONE cooks or cleans, we all sat down together. We were told that in 21 days we would be in Santiago and if we wished, we could write a note explaining why we wished for the prayers of other pilgrims over the next 21 days.

We each were also told to draw a previous request written by a pilgrim the previous day. Each person drew a paper written in their language and was to then tell everyone why a prayer was requested.

My Request? "I am walking the Camino for my brother and his best friend. My brother killed himself and his best friend. Our families are heart broken. Please Pray for my brother and his friend".

Very humbling! You don't get these experiences staying in hotels.

This is also one of the places where they refuse to allow you to get a taxi for your pack. As you are told, "Jesus carried a cross for YOU. Carry a pack for HIM."

Ah!! Too late now! A perfect example of why one should not pre-book and just let the Camino lead you to places
My photo is from my very first camino when I did not book any lodgings beyond my first day in SJPdP and my final vacay days on the coast.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back