• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Thermal baths news

J Willhaus

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2016, 2022, 2023, 2024, planned 2025
El gobierno ourensano, preocupado por el mal uso de las termas - http://www.lavozdegalicia.es/notici...ocupado-mal-uso-termas/0003_202203O9C1991.htm

A few weeks ago there was some discussion about the thermal pools. Some have been closed and newly reopened. Others have new rules. I had been following some articles about that and here is the latest one.

Mods, please relocate if this is not in the right thread or route.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Indeed it is:) I contacted the Tourism office in Ourense last month inquiring about their thermal baths and this is what I posted on the Thermal Baths thread:

Tourism Office responded almost immediately. They tell me that the public As Burgas thermal pools are closed, only the Terma Outariz is open and the link is included. They do require a mask - even in the thermal waters; you can also see their schedule and they do charge 5.70€ for 2 hours - which includes the time spent in the dressing room. Here is their email:

Buenos dĂ­as,

En estos momentos la Piscina de las Burgas esta cerrda al baño.

Hay una terma abierta en estos momentos que es la terma de pago de Outariz (www.termasoutariz.com). Todas las termas gratuitas están cerradas. Hay un cambio de la norma que las regula y estas deben adaptarse a la nueva ley. Aun no disponemos de una fecha de reapertura.

Atentamente,

---
Oficina Municipal de Turismo de Ourense
ConcellerĂ­a de Turismo

Concello de Ourense
Telf: (0034) 988 366 064
turismo@ourense.es

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Translation of the article from my Google Browser:

After two years with all the Ourense hot springs closed, the City Council celebrated the reopening of two pools in the Outariz area on February 25 . The municipal government will analyze whether the requirements established in the new regional law are met there in order to continue adapting the rest of the facilities to that regulation. This work is underway, but the Councilor for Tourism and Thermalism, Flora Moure , expressed her concern about the misuse that some people are making of the pools that were opened fifteen days ago.

The opposition groups took advantage of the fact that an area meeting was held this Tuesday to ask the mayor about the plans for the reopening of the rest of the pools and that was when Moure reported the situation. "We are encountering problems because there are people who do not respect the noon closure," explains the councilor, who recalls that now the hot springs cannot be used freely and the established hours must be respected ( from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. and from 4:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. ).

The new regional law on recreational use of thermal spaces , which came into force last year, establishes a strict control of the quality of the water and for this it is required that there be a surveillance service to control capacity . The Council of Ourense has hired a company to carry out these tasks and it is common for the workers in charge of ensuring the proper use of the pools to find bathers in them when they return to work at four in the afternoon. "We are very concerned," says Flora Moure, who recalls that the regional law is very strict with regard to the hygienic conditions of the water and incorrect use could alter them.

In this sense, the Councilor for Thermalism explains that systematic analyzes are being carried out and advances that the Council of Ourense is working together with the Xunta de Galicia on an "experimental" project to determine exactly how and how often to analyze the quality of the water. Flora Moure explains that the regulatory development of the regional law is still pending and the City Council will work hand in hand with the Galician government for this. “They want us to see how we are adapting and it is necessary that, among all, we adjust it”, specifies the Councilor for Thermalism.

No dates for the other pools

Taking advantage of the celebration of the area meeting this Tuesday, the opposition groups asked for specific deadlines for the reopening of the rest of the pools. "At the moment, until the regulations can be met in all the facilities, they cannot be opened," summarizes Flora Moure. To reopen the missing hot springs in the Outariz area, a well must be built to increase the available flow, since the law requires the continuous renewal of water.

According to him, the municipal government goes step by step with each installation. For example, Moure explains that in A Chavasqueira a project is pending authorization by the Miño-Sil Hydrographic Confederation that includes the adaptation of the public pools to the new legislation as well as the rehabilitation of the payment pools, which burned in the year 2019.

On the other hand, with regard to the thermal pool of As Burgas , the reform planned by the Council of Ourense already has permission from Heritage. An investment of 576,500 euros is planned and it is an "ambitious project", in the words of Moure, who explains that various arrangements are planned in the glass as well as the renovation of the locker room area.

An award-winning end-of-degree project proposes some covered pools in Muíño da Veiga​

The Muíño da Veiga hot springs are very close to the Miño River and, when it rises in volume, they frequently flood. To solve this problem, Rubén González Martínez designed a project that would channel the water from Burga do Muíño to a nearby area but at a higher level to prevent flooding. He is a student at the Faculty of Sciences of Ourense and his idea was reflected in a final degree project that has recently been awarded in the Campus Auga Scientific Research, Transfer and Dissemination Awards .

Rubén González (Ourense, 1996) explains that the project envisages three new pools that, in addition to being sheltered from the rising flow of the Miño, would have a cover to be able to use them more comfortably throughout the year, even with rain. According to his calculations, the complete construction of the baths (including the channeling of the water and the installation room to cool it) would cost 427,700.96 euros. González would like his proposal to reach the City Council in case it can be useful. "We are very lucky to have a resource like the thermal spring in Ourense and many times we don't value it enough ," says the young man, who explains that the campus "takes raptors from other cities and gets snuggled up with what we have."

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...
After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from AlmerĂ­a. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back