Search 60,048 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

These missing persons posts....

Book your Bus ticket here

markmcilroy

Past OR future Camino
Camino Frances August/Sept 2016
Camino Frances Sept/October 2017
Le Puy to Conques May 2018
There have been a couple of missing persons postings on this site and on FaceBook lately. I can understand the reasons of photographs not being shown on this website however given that this website is used by many pilgrims I am wondering if under our individual profile section we could give our permission for a photograph of ourselves to be used on this website incase we go missing or an emergency situation arises or our family can't make contact with us. I wouldn't have an issue with a photograph of me be published to help locate me....just a thought.

Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.

C clearly

Staff member
Past OR future Camino
Most years since 2012
Interesting idea, and I sympathize with the worried families. However, I think that the policies, legalities and administration of such a system would make it very difficult for an organization such as this forum. For example: How long would qualify as missing? Who has the right to announce it? What wording and management would be required for the database of forum members, and the monitoring/ posting/ removing of reports? On finding the person, what are the proper procedures? It gets complicated!

The current situation at least allows for families to express their concern and alert people who are walking. What more than a few facts do we really need in order for the rest of us to keep an eye out for a person on the Camino, and ask them?

In virtually all cases, the "missing person" is the one who find themself and soon contacts family.

hel&scott

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
2004 St Jean - Santiago, 2008 &18 Seville - Finesterre, 2010 Ferrol - Lisbon, 2012 from Cartehenga.
A few years back I wrote a post bemoaning the large number of blanks on members profiles. I was surprised to hear that many people did not to post a photo due to fears over Internet security. But pleased that many took the effort to upload an image that they felt represented them, be it a shell, a tree or a turtle. It's a sad inditement of our age that we need to preserve our privacy as I kinda like to know who I am talking to, but even if it's not a friendly face then I still know I am getting sound advice from the woman behind the stained glass, or the guy in the helicopter.

If people do go missing on the Camino, or else where then police are provided with photos from family or passport etc and it is more appropriate that they distribute this infomation then this forum.

Xali1970

Planning the next one
Past OR future Camino
2016 Primitivo
2018 Pimitivo, VdlP
2022 Too Many
If my family doesn't hear from me for a few days/weeks, the likelihood that I'm not thinking of them while on the way or just don't want to / feel like contacting them is much higher than my going missing or having a severe accident.

Carrying ID, "In Case of Emergency" documents or a type of dogtag necklace on your person at all times so you can be identified in case of emergency is more helpful than having the family raising hue and cry because they haven't heard from you in some days.

Being required to keep contact or be contactable at all times by family and friends is a royal PIA, and detracts from whatever it is one is looking for while on the trail. This is Western Europe, and one of the most travelled areas on the continent, not the jungles of Africa - South America or Asia. People disappearing leaving no trace is really unlikely.

how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.
Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop

Jeff Crawley

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
A "Tourigrino" trip once Covid has passed, so 2023
A few years back I wrote a post bemoaning the large number of blanks on members profiles. I was surprised to hear that many people did not to post a photo due to fears over Internet security. But pleased that many took the effort to upload an image that they felt represented them, be it a shell, a tree or a turtle. It's a sad inditement of our age that we need to preserve our privacy as I kinda like to know who I am talking to, but even if it's not a friendly face then I still know I am getting sound advice from the woman behind the stained glass, or the guy in the helicopter.

If people do go missing on the Camino, or else where then police are provided with photos from family or passport etc and it is more appropriate that they distribute this infomation then this forum.
Sadly, I'm told I look just like my avatar - including the mask!

Jeff Crawley

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
A "Tourigrino" trip once Covid has passed, so 2023
There have been a couple of missing persons postings on this site and on FaceBook lately. I can understand the reasons of photographs not being shown on this website however given that this website is used by many pilgrims I am wondering if under our individual profile section we could give our permission for a photograph of ourselves to be used on this website incase we go missing or an emergency situation arises or our family can't make contact with us. I wouldn't have an issue with a photograph of me be published to help locate me....just a thought.
I'd have thought that the particular Band of Pilgrims that grace these pages are the least likely to go "off piste" without notification and, if they do, their families will know enough about their habits to know why.

A "mug shot" is the best way to identify somebody (he's old, bald, tall but stoops and carries a backpack isn't going to get you very far) but, as I was recently reminded, it ain't the way we do things on here.

Pocket guide that pack a punch
1.4 oz (40g) pocket guides with gems of wisdom to ponder during and after your Camino
Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store

Mfazio

Past OR future Camino
Frances 2021
If I posted a profile pic, you'd realise the favour I'm doing you by not doing so 😞
If loved ones want to know where you are it is simple to enable location services on your phone and apps to allow your family to see where you are. Find My IPhone is super simple. I also use “Life360” app. WhatsApp works independent of what data plan you are on for messaging.

I set up a WhatsApp group for my family and friends and would post a photo or 2 every few days as “proof of life”. Other than that not much else is needed, at least on Frances, since people and services are never that far away.

If your pilgrim wants to go off grid, please allow them to enjoy it, they have earned it.

DyanTX

DyanTX
Past OR future Camino
CF Sept 22 - Nov 3, 2016

Except if a picture of an item is posted instead of a photo, it is still not possible to know whether you are talking to male, female or other and the name used often doesn't lend any hint either. Does it matter? I don't know but I generally don't respond to a personal message unless I actually know who the person is on the other end. No photo. No response. Using a photo doesn't worry me at all.

TinaPEI

Past OR future Camino
Hopefully sometime....
I have children who worry about me and a simple solution is letting them see my location by Google Maps. I know that being disconnected is part of the Camino for many people, but I am happy to have an unintrusive way to assuage the concerns of my loved ones.
Oooh.... How to you share your location on google maps? I have a niece who would LOVE to follow along my journeys.

2022 Camino Guides
The 2022 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.

trecile

Staff member
Past OR future Camino
PAST - Francés, Norte, Salvador, Portuguese
Find My IPhone is super simple.
Location sharing on Google Maps is really easy, and can be used across platforms - iPhone, Android, etc.
Oooh.... How to you share your location on google maps? I have a niece who would LOVE to follow along my journeys.

Past OR future Camino
Perhaps some pilgrims don’t want to be followed/ tracked online. They want the independence
Very true, but I don't feel it a burden. It allows my loved ones to have peace of mind and is a small thing. I would assume that if you didn't want to be followed, you would tell your family so and they wouldn't worry if they didn't hear from you. The point is that if there is a change -- if someone who typically checks in stops doing so, then there is cause for concern.

Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store
Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.

WGroleau

Wandering Weirdo
Past OR future Camino
2015 & 2016 (partial)
I purchased a GPS device that used Iridium satellites to make my location available at any time (no cell towers needed, even in the middle of the ocean) to anyone I gave the password to. Garmin/DeLorme Explorer. I do believe there are similar devices from other manufacturers.

GregorMc

Past OR future Camino
Frances July/Aug 2011
Primitivo July/Aug 2022
I use Walkmeter from Abvio on my iPhone to track my walking stats etc. Start it in the morning, tell it when I’m done walking, and it automatically posts to my choice of Twitter/Facebook/email etc with my stats and a link with a map and more details. It has kept my friends and family informed of what I’m up to on my adventures since 2011. It’s useful for me too, sips battery, provides a daily ‘heartbeat’ but leaves me to my solitude and is pretty simple to use. Other apps are available too, YMMV 😀

mspath

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
From 2004 during my first caminos my husband and I communicated when necessary by land-line telephone; since 2008 I carried a smartphone which also served as camera+computer on which I wrote my daily blogs.

Since we both were then in our 70's whilst apart we texted each other good morning, briefly cited our daily plans, and texted again at day's end. Simple, swift and efficacious this helped keep each of us in the other's loop although physically we were often on different continents.

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 105 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads