• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

They walk from Mexico to Canada and pick up every piece of trash along the way

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
On behalf of Rebekah and the Ditch Pigs, past and present...I welcome them to the Camino Frances, or any other route, or segment of a route, for that matter. Their assistance, if offered eventually, will be very appreciated. Leaving trash along the Camino is something that I continue to not understand.

Perhaps it was growing up during the first Earth Day campaigns of the very polluted 1960s and 1970s in North America. It sort of started with Rachel Carson’s New York Times bestseller novel Silent Spring in 1962. Then we had a growing consciousness that the environment was really messed up. It looked, smelled, and even tasted bad. When you can see and taste the air you breathe, it is bad.

Grassroots efforts developed to try to clean up local dumping areas and localized polluted places. That was my early introduction to being a Ditch Pig I suppose...

Finally, we had the indoctrination (in a good sense) provided by the regular Public Service adverts on TV. They showed actor "Iron Eyes Cody" (actually a Sicilian/Italian-American who made quite a living portraying native Americans in film over his very long career) lamenting the state of "his" environment. It was a brilliant production and well played.

See Iron Eyes Cody information here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Eyes_Cody

I was a teenager at that time. But the entire effect was profound and life changing. Most everyone in my generation stopped littering and starting picking stuff up. That habit continues to this day. THAT is why I just do not understand how too many pilgrims can fail to pack it out...:eek:

Just as an FYI, if you are interested, here is the iconic TV ad in color:

As we only had three black & white channels on our TV at home at the time, I only ever saw this advert in grey tones. To my surprise, the actual ad was in color...go figure...after all these years!:rolleyes:

I hope this helps.

Hello everyone.
The past spring I made the Appalachian Trail (Only half, from Amicalola GA to Harpers Ferry WV) All the trash was carried in bags until we could find some small town where we could leave it.
In 1,700 km of trail I did not see trash thrown.
I live in Zizur Mayor, and I walk often along the Camino between Pamplona and Puente la Reina. I always carry a bag to pick up trash from the Camino, THERE IS ALOT OF TRASH ALWAYS.
I feel ashamed of how little we take care of it.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...
We just returned home from watching our second total solar eclipse here in the U.S. in 7 years. Our next is in 20 years. We have become hooked on the magical, mystical, moving unique experience...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back