• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Thiefs about on camino del norte

Tamargrace

Time of past OR future Camino
None yet
A few phones have gone missing in albergues....

Please remember too keep ALL valuable possessions on you at ALL times.

Its not worth the risk...

Sorry dont mean to bring you all down its just easy to forget that there are thieving people out there.

Wishing you all a lovely time and buen camino xxx

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You cannot walk away from valuables on ANY of the routes, any more than you could set your phone down in a subway or bus station in any large city and expect to come back and find it. The Camino doesn't have a magical "no thief" spell on it... pilgrims have always been there for the picking, and still are. It's up to the pilgrims to take care of their belongings, just as they would at home.

Funny, four weeks into our walk and this has not been our experience. Not that it couldn’t happen, but it just hasn’t. Phones are left charging, packs open, etc. I know as we approach Sarria and more shirt hikers, this will change, but I think it’s unfair to frighten folks into thinking that thievery is a daily experience here.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Sorry dont mean to bring you all down its just easy to forget that there are thieving people out there.

I thank you for posting this. I do not find it unfair in any way, shape or form. Sometimes we can become too complacent and this gentle reminder can save someone lots of grief...

Thank you for the heads up. To all caminantes currently on the camino, please do NOT let routine become routine. Protect your valuables and your non-valuables too. Good luck, y no pares de caminar.

Thanks for the reminder to watch our valuables, but it's not always easy to stay near the outlet/s when charging phones at the albergues. The best experiences of course are when each bunk has its own power outlet, but many are not in convenient locations to keep an eye on our phones while charging. I've usually charged mine overnight, but guess I'll not be doing that in the future.
The rest of my valuables stay with me at all times, secure in my waist pack, and they become my bed partner when sleeping.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Funny, four weeks into our walk and this has not been our experience. Not that it couldn’t happen, but it just hasn’t. Phones are left charging, packs open, etc. I know as we approach Sarria and more shirt hikers, this will change, but I think it’s unfair to frighten folks into thinking that thievery is a daily experience here.
Glad to hear you have not experienced or known a pilgrim that has, but honestly thievery is a daily occurrence I am sure, everyday, somewhere on the Camino.
I don't think it is unfair to reinforce common sense precautions pilgrims should take concerning valuables. I don't think it is meant to frighten anybody. Besides, who out there actually believes that there is not thievery (or worse) on the Camino?

The best experiences of course are when each bunk has its own power outlet, but many are not in convenient locations to keep an eye on our phones while charging. I've usually charged mine overnight, but guess I'll not be doing that in the future.
I have a 10 foot long charging cable, which is usually long enough to get from the outlet to my bed. Don't worry, I don't leave it criss crossing the floor to trip unwary pilgrims. If I absolutely can't reach the outlet with my cable I charge my phone from the small back up battery pack that I carry with me.

Thanks, @trecile, for your ideas. I do carry a small battery back up, but they also need charging eventually. My phone cord is only 3-4 ft long, but maybe I should reconsider purchasing a ten foot cord...it could be "worth it's (extra) weight in gold". :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
When I must stay in a public or semi-public albergue, my practice is to put everything valuable in a one gallon (3 liter) ziplock bag. Included are my national passport, pilgrim credencial, cash, credit cards, and cell (mobile) phone. This waterproof bag can go into a shower, bathroom, and eventually, in my sleeping bag liner, under the covers or my pillow with me.

NEVER leave any of these near-irreplaceable items in your rucksack or not in your direct control at all times while in public accommodation. To do so, is to invite mischief...

Protecting those items is key to successful completion of any Camino. While a cost and inconvenience, everything else is literally replaceable. Loss of the protected items, any of them, could either seriously dampen my motivation, or curtail my Camino.

Be prepared...and always....always have a Plan B. A viable Plan B might be to keep some identify documents, one credit card and some cash hidden separately. A second, 1-liter or 1-quart ziplock bag is good for this.

Last edited:

Common sense is a rule of thumb. Thks for the advise

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.