• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Thiefs on Camino Francés - warning

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés June 2013
Hola peregrinos! I am the owner of the Caminoteca shop in Pamplona. Some days ago professional thiefs have stolen a pair of Teva sandals from our shop. This is not a big news because sfefts occasionally happened already during the years in the shop. What makes this theft a shocking and a very sad story, that it was commited by a pilgrim family with two kids:-(( The whole theft was recorded by 3 cameras so we are 100% sure that they have stolen the sandals (actually the woman from the family has taken the sandals the 3 other members covered her). I attach pictures of the 4 person. If you see them on the Camino Francés, please make extra attention of your belongings (now they have to be somewhere between Logrono and Burgos). They are reported at the local police here in Pamplona so if you let me know here in this thread where are they actually I can inform the police here to help them in the case...

Sorry for the bad news, I wish you guys a beautiful and safe camino

(Photos deleted by Ivar: These people might be thieves, but until they are convicted for this, I feel uncomfortable having their photos posted her).

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks for telling.
I write from the albergue Luz de Frómista. If they pass through here it will be within three or four days. I will pass the news to the Castrojeriz albergues, they are all our friends, and excellent albergues, extremely interested in the safety of the Camino and the pilgrims, and to the Espíritu Santo in Carrión, also good friends, and in the Municipal in Calzadilla de la Cueza, they almost certainly stop there.
If I see them, I will make sure to see (their) your Tevas, and if you want, I will tell you and call the Civil Guard. You can locate my phone through Google, count on us.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you for taking time to post this. A good reminder to stay vigilant. It’s easy to get lax about safety of backpack/personal belongings on the Camino and believing that everyone has positive intentions.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I cannot get over the fact they took their children shoplifting. If caught there should be an extra charge of aiding and abetting a minor to steal (or similar), with a hefty penalty that is more than the theft charge.

What are these parents thinking!?

Davey

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Sorry to hear that @Istvan_Pamplona and what goes around comes back around. Excellent footage and you have good foresight to bring this to this forums attention, expect they will be caught and hope your reimbursed for your loss when they are brought to justice. A professional shop lifter would've been aware of position of camera's and operated alone or with one accomplish, it's likely that this family are opportunitist and sadly retailers may not be the only ones on receiving end of their misguided intentions, Albergues and pilgrims be vigilant and look forward to reading update advising that they've been reprimanded in the not too distant future, unless their locals posing as pilgrim family or will bus to another destination on a different Camino 🤠

Hola peregrinos! I am the owner of the Caminoteca shop in Pamplona. Some days ago professional thiefs have stolen a pair of Teva sandals from our shop. This is not a big news because sfefts occasionally happened already during the years in the shop. What makes this theft a shocking and a very sad story, that it was commited by a pilgrim family with two kids:-(( The whole theft was recorded by 3 cameras so we are 100% sure that they have stolen the sandals (actually the woman from the family has taken the sandals the 3 other members covered her). I attach pictures of the 4 person. If you see them on the Camino Francés, please make extra attention of your belongings (now they have to be somewhere between Logrono and Burgos). They are reported at the local police here in Pamplona so if you let me know here in this thread where are they actually I can inform the police here to help them in the case...

(Photos deleted by Ivar: These people might be thieves, but until they are convicted for this, I feel uncomfortable having their photos posted her).
Ivar, you´re right!, I have not thought about that, I edit my post also...
In fact, when I wrote months ago about thieves on the Camino, I said I didn't put the photos for the same reason, because they were suspicious but not condemned.

Last edited:

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Istvan, Caminoteca was the first place I visited when I arrived in Pamplona in 2013 to start my first Camino. I have walked five times now, and I’ll walk again in December this year, but my feet joined the Way at your door and I’ve often wanted to thank you.
I’m sorry this happened in your lovely store.

Hola peregrinos,

Before I made the post and I attached the photos, I asked the chief of the local police station here in Pamplona, that because of the data protection regulations and personal rights issues can I post the photos on the internet of these persons? He told me YES, because I made an offical denunciaton, the police is searching for them. But on the other way I completely understand the issue of Ivar, he doesn't want to risk his site and it is OK.

Anyway if anyone needs the photos, just drop me your e-mail and I send them

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Istavan - sorry for your loss.

I have shopped in Caminoteca in Pamplona. It’s a good shop with a wide range at reasonable prices.

Last edited:
We often see posts about pilgrims having items or money stolen and we condemn the one who does it. So like earlier replies I condemn this family. They give us all a bad name. The photos are very clear. Cheers

I disagree Mike. They don’t give you, I or random others a bad name. Sadly there are thieves in all parts of society. They are to be condemned, but I don't feel responsible for them nor tainted by their actions.

Your condemnation is to be applauded.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Istvan, Caminoteca was the first place I visited when I arrived in Pamplona in 2013 to start my first Camino. I have walked five times now, and I’ll walk again in December this year, but my feet joined the Way at your door and I’ve often wanted to thank you.
I’m sorry this happened in your lovely store.
Me too! I love your shop! I was there for the second time last year. Every time I'm in Pamplona, I come and buy something from you, be it a hair clip or a shell necklace.. :) Sorry this happened to you, great you had some clear footage (I assume the police have got this now).

Why would the Camino be any different than anywhere else in the world?. Pilgrims are not a special breed, they are just like anyone else.

Sounds a bit vigilante to me some of the posts. It's also a bit self defeating "Thieves on the Camino" is not a great advert for the Camino. Just report it to the local police and don't make a mountain out of a mole hill!.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

A sad day for pilgrims. Let's hope Karna will prevail.....!

Very sad story as I just crawled into my bed in Divina Pastora in Burgos. Will keep watch and alert my walking mates,
NancyLee

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Members are reminded that we discourage the publishing of private email addresses on a public forum. Please use the private message function which will avoid sharing your private email address with the entire internet!

For the particular circumstances of this particular thread I have not deleted the published private email addresses but members are of course at liberty to do so in their own posts.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Members are reminded that we discourage the publishing of private email addresses on a public forum. Please use the private message function which will avoid sharing your private email address with the entire internet!

For the particular circumstances of this particular thread I have not deleted the published private email addresses but members are of course at liberty to do so in their own posts.
Sorry!

Thank you for taking time to post this. A good reminder to stay vigilant. It’s easy to get lax about safety of backpack/personal belongings on the Camino and believing that everyone has positive intentions.

Agree!

While we all want Our Camino to be a space of tranquility and peace....we do need to balance our journey keeping our home instincts alert. Always protect your valuables....Otherwise, “mom and the kids” may walk off with more than your Sandals!

I pray that they were in desperate need of those and saw that as the only solution.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I pray that they were in desperate need of those and saw that as the only solution.
Yes, because a pair of Teva sandals would be so helpful in feeding one's family, lol.
Desperate need of narcotics, etc maybe and have a long lineage of thieving in the bloodline.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
So sorry to hear this and shocking that it was a family. I believe in Karma and eventually their bad deeds will come back to bite them. 👿🥺

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back