A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Thieves at large on camino

0 Euro Camino Bank Note

sandels

Camino(s) past & future
May 2019
Pilgrims beware of thieves. Two men traveling along the Camino seen today in Burgos. They were in Los Arcos a few days ago, and they stole many cell phones and hundreds of euros from pilgrims’ rooms in the middle of the night. These thieves are walking the Camino with us. The tourist office in Logrono has their photos but is not sharing with the albergues. Police have been notified. Please beware and take caution with your valuables.

maruska89

Mary C.
Camino(s) past & future
Porto to SdC-Sept 2017
Camino Frances-(April 2019)
Thats so upsetting! I was there in Los Arcos a month ago when they also stole a bunch of phones, money etc. Luckily I wasn't staying at the municipal that time. I sure hope they catch them soon!

Stephen

Camino(s) past & future
Twice walked from St Jean to Estella and once from Sarria to Santiago. Maybe someday I'll find the time to do the entire walk.
I've found the time. Just completed SJPP to Santiago. 25 Aug to 1st Oct, 2016.
And now the Portuguese from Lisbon.
Mobile phones sitting unattended while they are charged must present easy pickings for thieves in albergues.
If pilgrims brought power packs they could charge them and later they could be used to power up the phones.
They don't cost much compared to the price of a phone. It could be money well spent.

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
SJPDP-Finisterre X 2 - 2016 & 2017, El Norte - Irun to Vilalba 2018
Mobile phones sitting unattended while they are charged must present easy pickings for thieves in albergues.
If pilgrims brought power packs they could charge them and later they could be used to power up the phones.
They don't cost much compared to the price of a phone. It could be money well spent.
I have a power pack for emergencies, but usually I can charge my phone in my bunk with me. I use a 10 foot/3 meter charging cable, and am almost always able to reach an outlet from my bunk.

SuGardner

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances - June/July 2013. Walking again June/July 2015
That's my Plan!!!

Camino(s) past & future
9-17: CF-SdC
4-18: SdC - Fisterra
9-18: Hosp Rvalles
4-19: Via Agusta
6-19: Hosp Rvalles
4-20: VdlP
Friday 1 June at Roncesvalles, more than 5 people lost money and passports. The thieves check in as pilgrims, steal stuff at night and disappear before wake up time. Keep your valuables close to your body at all times, under the pillow at night is not close enough! From hospitalera at Roncesvalles albergue.

Catie O

Camino(s) past & future
Camino de Santiago (2020; 2021)
Why aren't they sharing the photos with the Albergues? It would make sense to share so people can be on the look out.

Icacos

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2013)
Why aren't they sharing the photos with the Albergues? It would make sense to share so people can be on the look out.
I’m sure I know people who would tell me that it hasn’t been proven that these people are thieves; it is ‘alleged’ that they are thieves. One can open oneself to libel charges if one maligns someone just on suspicion. Where is @Kanga when we need her.

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
SJPDP-Finisterre X 2 - 2016 & 2017, El Norte - Irun to Vilalba 2018
Friday 1 June at Roncesvalles, more than 5 people lost money and passports. The thieves check in as pilgrims, steal stuff at night and disappear before wake up time. Keep your valuables close to your body at all times, under the pillow at night is not close enough! From hospitalera at Roncesvalles albergue.
The albergue in Roncesvalles has lockers with locks and keys for each pilgrim. Why aren't they being used??

Telboyo

Camino(s) past & future
I intend to leave the UK the day Before Brexit and walkMarch -April 2019 Camino Frances
Data protection, they probably have not got consent from the alleged criminals, if they shared these pictures they would've reaching the law.

Marbe2

Camino(s) past & future
2015 SJPD to Burgos
2017 Leon to Santiago
Pamplona to Santiago Mar. 2018
Burgos - SCDC (Oct 18)
With regards to thieves, I have been robbed during a monastery retreat! And Thieves along the camino as most of us know are nothing new! We usually stay in a private room or accommodation and we still keep valuables on us or in a locked Locker or even a safe if the accommodation has one. When we stay in a shared room accommodation I never, ever leave my valuables separate. They are always attached to me and I use a plastic bag while we are in the shower to cover valuables.

Thread starter OLDER threads on this topic Forum Replies Date
sillydoll Camino Crime Watch 10
C Camino Crime Watch 5

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 6 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 43 4.0%
  • April

Votes: 165 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 265 24.4%