• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Thieves at large on camino

sandels

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2019
Pilgrims beware of thieves. Two men traveling along the Camino seen today in Burgos. They were in Los Arcos a few days ago, and they stole many cell phones and hundreds of euros from pilgrims’ rooms in the middle of the night. These thieves are walking the Camino with us. The tourist office in Logrono has their photos but is not sharing with the albergues. Police have been notified. Please beware and take caution with your valuables.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Mobile phones sitting unattended while they are charged must present easy pickings for thieves in albergues.
If pilgrims brought power packs they could charge them and later they could be used to power up the phones.
They don't cost much compared to the price of a phone. It could be money well spent.

Mobile phones sitting unattended while they are charged must present easy pickings for thieves in albergues.
If pilgrims brought power packs they could charge them and later they could be used to power up the phones.
They don't cost much compared to the price of a phone. It could be money well spent.
I have a power pack for emergencies, but usually I can charge my phone in my bunk with me. I use a 10 foot/3 meter charging cable, and am almost always able to reach an outlet from my bunk.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
That's my Plan!!!

Friday 1 June at Roncesvalles, more than 5 people lost money and passports. The thieves check in as pilgrims, steal stuff at night and disappear before wake up time. Keep your valuables close to your body at all times, under the pillow at night is not close enough! From hospitalera at Roncesvalles albergue.

Why aren't they sharing the photos with the Albergues? It would make sense to share so people can be on the look out.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Why aren't they sharing the photos with the Albergues? It would make sense to share so people can be on the look out.
I’m sure I know people who would tell me that it hasn’t been proven that these people are thieves; it is ‘alleged’ that they are thieves. One can open oneself to libel charges if one maligns someone just on suspicion. Where is @Kanga when we need her.

Friday 1 June at Roncesvalles, more than 5 people lost money and passports. The thieves check in as pilgrims, steal stuff at night and disappear before wake up time. Keep your valuables close to your body at all times, under the pillow at night is not close enough! From hospitalera at Roncesvalles albergue.
The albergue in Roncesvalles has lockers with locks and keys for each pilgrim. Why aren't they being used??

Data protection, they probably have not got consent from the alleged criminals, if they shared these pictures they would've reaching the law.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
With regards to thieves, I have been robbed during a monastery retreat! And Thieves along the camino as most of us know are nothing new! We usually stay in a private room or accommodation and we still keep valuables on us or in a locked Locker or even a safe if the accommodation has one. When we stay in a shared room accommodation I never, ever leave my valuables separate. They are always attached to me and I use a plastic bag while we are in the shower to cover valuables.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back