• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Thigh chafing

animamundi

Hi all

In my training for my camino I have realised that thigh chafing may be a bigger problem for me than blistered feet!

Does anyone have any suggestions how I can avoid or reduce this problem?

A strange question perhaps, but one that I hope someone has an answer for!

Thanks in advance...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Of course you can also use vaseline between your toes to prevent blisters, so it has many uses, which means you won't have to carry two items.

The vaseline infused with aloe vera is good as it acts as a natural antiseptic.

(this sounds like I have shares in vaseline - I really don't)

I've always had great luck with a product called Balmex. It's made for babies (diaper rash) but does wonders for adults' chafing.

Steve S

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am getting some men's boxer briefs. Not the cotton type but the synthetic type. It breathes annd prevents thighs rubbing and chafing. My hiking friend has used them on the AT and swears by them. I personally have not used them. THe idea of using vaseline makes me think it will be messy.
With Love
Lillian

The main problem with Vaseline is that it WILL mark your clothes. There's something on the market called 'Body Glide' that works in much the same way, reduces friction so you don't chafe. It's not cheap, but definitely worth a look in my opinion. You don't get the greasy stains that you get with Vaseline and it works just as well.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
animamundi said:
Hi all

In my training for my camino I have realised that thigh chafing may be a bigger problem for me than blistered feet!

Does anyone have any suggestions how I can avoid or reduce this problem?

A strange question perhaps, but one that I hope someone has an answer for!

Thanks in advance...

I believe what causes thigh upper chaffing is the friction from each leg in the meaty, upper thigh area as it passes alongside the other with multiple steps, compounded by the salt residue (salt crystals are sharp?) left upon each thigh from the evaporating sweat. It seems to affect some usually in the hotter months. I have had it on a relatively few occasions but it was so bad I could only barely limp along bow-legged. I solved the problem, not with greasy, slippery ointments but with my underwear selection. Choose the tighter fitting models with a minimum of 3" legs. Then it is the slippery, tight fitting material of each leg rubbing against each other, rather than bare, salty skin.

One choice is Underarmor, one of the first 2 choices here, in BLACK!
http://www.underarmour.com/ProductFullL ... ll_id=1114

That would be for males

For women, they are called "boy shorts":

http://www.underarmour.com/ProductFullL ... ll_id=2114

Color also in BLACK!

And you only need two of them as well. You wear one. At the albergue, you shower, wash the one you wore that day and put on your second, clean ones.

I used "Savlon antiseptic skin healing cream" for both my thighs and my toes/heals and had no problems whatsoever (especially as I am a newbie!) Also I used ladies pantie liners in my shorts to absorb any sweat running down my back - again worked great!
Don 8)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
On my recent Camino I saw some men and women wearing cycling shorts type exercise shorts under normal shorts.

Not exactly a fashion look but it works.

Mercury

Chafing on hips

Apologies for this is slightly off-topic reply. I was surprised to get bad chafing where the waistband of my pack (7 kg only) rubbed on my hipbone in front.

I am a rather thin individual, so perhaps the lack of flesh over the bone caused the chafing.

Anyway, plaster over the area solved the problem.

Regards

Bob M

Re: Chafing on hips

BobM said:
Apologies for this is slightly off-topic reply. I was surprised to get bad chafing where the waistband of my pack (7 kg only) rubbed on my hipbone in front.

I am a rather thin individual, so perhaps the lack of flesh over the bone caused the chafing.

Anyway, plaster over the area solved the problem.

Regards

Bob M

The term 'hip' belt is a misnomer. One's pack should ride just above one's protruding hip bone (iliac crest) and rest upon it-never around it. Move the 'hip' belt higher, as in over your navel and covering it, which is a quick guide as to where it should be. One's 'hip' belt transfers the load of one's pack upon the torso and supports all its weight there

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I found that wearing "boxer briefs" limited thigh chaffing tremendously. I did find, however, enormous discomfort from my nipples chaffing. Any advice on that one or is it par for the course?

cheap greasy moisturizer

I have never tried vaseline but i have found that cheap greasy moisturizer have always done the job.

I dont know about it marking clothes either but i have never had a problem...but im a guy so probably wouldnt even notice :D

My husband had serious chafing issues. A pharmacist recommended baby diaper rash ointment for morning application, reapplying when he changed his socks, and once again when going to sleep and it healed his wounds in a day and prevented any further chafing issues. The diaper rash ointment is much smoother and lighter than other moisturizers such as vaseline. And is smells pleasant too.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Compeed make some kind of stick or cream that has silicone in it I think. It's used by joggers. Ask at the Pharmacy in the UK, I never saw it in Spain.

Sportslick and Hydropel are both excellent products that work to prevent blisters or thigh chafing. Remember, though, if you are getting a blister, the lubricant must be completely removed if you want Compeed or some other bandage to adhere.

Cornstarch works really well too!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Compeed and Johnson & Johnson lubricant:

Band-Aid markets the lubricant stick in the U.S. Look on the Compeed rack in Spain.

Attachments

• Band-Aid-Active-Flex-Blister_16A8577A.jpg
    Band-Aid-Active-Flex-Blister_16A8577A.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 2,663
I experienced this problem myself on two Caminos. It is very unpleasant and got to the point of bleeding at one stage. I tried talc, but this requires a lot of reapplications which can be tricky and I found it to be only moderately effective.
During my second Camino which began with a month in France, I came across a fantastic pilgrim who was using a French product called NOK CREME ANTI-FROTTEMENTS (or NOK anti-friction creme) for her feet http://www.asepta.com/pages/fr/aki_sport.htm
I honestly can say that this stuff saved me. It is very, very effective and requires one application per day (two tops on long days). Even on already pretty aggravated areas it was great. After a few days the problem was gone completely. It is also very good as preventative care for foot blisters, just apply on hot spots.
However, I am pretty sure it is only readily available in France (at nearly every pharmacy) so it is worth picking up a tube or two in St. Jean if you know you will have this problem. It is even worth getting one tube just in case as I said it helps with blister prevention. I had a smallish 26-liter pack so I am not one to carry a lot of stuff and still this was an essential.
I hope this helps someone.

Buen Camino,
James

A product called BODYGLIDE, a non-greasy anti-friction skin application that prevents blisters and chafing, is available in Canada and the US in running and some sport stores. It or a comparable product may also be available in other parts of the world. This can serve as an alternative to using greasy Vasolene, particularly for upper body and inner thigh areas.

While in a runing store check out some of the clothing too. Manufacturing technology advances now allow production of a variety of lightweight quick drying clothing and footware that effectively protect against all sort of weather conditions. Elements incorporated in some of the clothing design also often serve to reduce chafing.

As a side note, when some of these clothing advances where first introduced there was a problem in that the material that was used absorbed and retained odor. This made it unpleasant for persons to wear and even more unpleasant for those around them. Through further advancements in material design this no longer seems a problem.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
BodyGlide -- what is in it? Their own website does not list ingredients; the triumph of advertising over candor. However, pharmacy sites often have policies requiring that they list ingredients. Here they are for BodyGlide:

Active Ingredients: Allantoin (Comfrey Root) (Skin Protectant)

Inactive Ingredients: Aloe Vera (Aloe Barbadensis) Extract, C18 36 Acid Triglyceride, Capric/Caprylic Stearic Triglyceride, Tribehenin, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E)

Allantoin is present in botanical extracts of the comfrey plant and urine from cows and most mammals. Chemically synthesized bulk allantoin is nature-identical, safe, non-toxic, compatible with cosmetic raw materials and meets CTFA and JSCI requirements. Over 10,000 patents reference allantoin. Manufacturers cite several beneficial effects for allantoin as an active ingredient in over-the-counter cosmetics: a moisturizing and keratolytic effect, increasing the water content of the extracellular matrix and enhancing the desquamation of upper layers of dead skin cells, increasing the smoothness of the skin; promoting cell proliferation and wound healing; and a soothing, anti-irritant, and skin protectant effect by forming complexes with irritant and sensitizing agents. A study published in 2009 reported the treatment of pruritus in mild-to-moderate atopic dermatitis with a topical non-steroidal agent containing Allantoin.

It is frequently present in toothpaste, mouthwash, and other oral hygiene products, in shampoos, lipsticks, anti-acne products, sun care products, and clarifying lotions, various cosmetic lotions and creams, and other cosmetic and pharmaceutical products.
An educated guess would be that it does nothing for friction, but makes your skin feel a bit better after it is chafed.

Talc, silicone, and petrolatum all lubricate and reduce friction. If you want to ease the chafing, pick one! And, no, Skin So Soft by Avon is not an effective mosquito repellant. Another triumph of advertising, this time over science.

if you know the pain of chafed and blistered thighs
you will get a pair of UnderArmour type BoxerJocks
they also help keep your tackle where it should be
i walked with a XXL Large Spanish dude
who looked like he was straddling the railway tracks when he walked
he was in agony
so experiment as much as you will
and when youre done
get the boxerjocks

My recommendation of BODYGLIDE comes with much experience as a long distance marathon runner who like most distance runners have had tons of experience with blisters, chafing, bleeding nipples, etc. Whatever is in the ingredients of this stuff --- it's not just some marketing gimmick, it works!!! Try it.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
jameswberk said:
NOK CREME ANTI-FROTTEMENTS (or NOK anti-friction creme) http://www.asepta.com/pages/fr/aki_sport.htm
It is very, very effective and requires one application per day (two tops on long days)
However, I am pretty sure it is only readily available in France

I vouch for that.
I tried them all and NOK is the best!

Available in Canada at MEC.

Smooth,
Jean-Marc

Walking in hot weather (or sometimes in very wet weather in over trousers) I get chaffed inner thighs and upper inner arms (the wobbly bits :oops: ). After a bit of experimenting I've found that the Compeed stick (looks like a mini stick of deodorant) is the thing that works best for me on those bits and it's also easy and discrete to reapply en route. Though I use vaseline on my feet it just didn't seem to do the trick for my other bits for some reason so it's a case of trying stuff out and sticking to what works for you.
I'm just wondering, as it's mentioned in the context of marathon running, is nipple chaffing (this was a new one for me and made me count my blessings) generally a result of speed? If so I have yet another reason to be thankful for my slow pace :lol:

I also recommend BODYGLIDE. I use this on my feet and never had blisters. I use it around my waist, thighs, and shoulders for the backpack straps and never any chafing. Not greasy, doesn't stain clothes, and no odor. Great stuff. I would not walk/hike without it.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
This is really great! I am starting my first camino in 3 weeks and was wondering what kind and brand of underwear for women to avoid chaffing?

This is really great! I am starting my first camino in 3 weeks and was wondering what kind and brand of underwear for women to avoid chaffing?
All I can say on this matter is if there isdry fit underwear you should get it. I got chaffing from my underwear day one because I wore cotton shorts and they didn't stop the sweat like a dry fit pair would. Luckily once I banished the cotton shorts to the bottom of the bag and wore dry fit every other day I was fine but it would have been nicer to not have had this issue in the first place.
Hope someone gives you an answer.
Rita

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I wear synthetic boxerbriefs normally but still had some discomfort while running. I got sports underwear that is basically the same but a bit longer and with unobtrusive seams. Their work a treat.

BodyGlide -- what is in it? Their own website does not list ingredients; the triumph of advertising over candor. However, pharmacy sites often have policies requiring that they list ingredients. Here they are for BodyGlide:

Active Ingredients: Allantoin (Comfrey Root) (Skin Protectant)

Inactive Ingredients: Aloe Vera (Aloe Barbadensis) Extract, C18 36 Acid Triglyceride, Capric/Caprylic Stearic Triglyceride, Tribehenin, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E)

An educated guess would be that it does nothing for friction, but makes your skin feel a bit better after it is chafed.

Talc, silicone, and petrolatum all lubricate and reduce friction. If you want to ease the chafing, pick one! And, no, Skin So Soft by Avon is not an effective mosquito repellant. Another triumph of advertising, this time over science.

Falcon: I have used glide when running marathons and for walking the camino. It works and it doesn't stain like Vaseline or diaper rash cream. All the runners I know use it to prevent blisters and nipple rash. I have used it for my feet on three caminos (first one I used Vaseline). On my recent camino, I had chafing on the inside of my knees from a seam in my new hiking pants (and I had gained some weight-so fat knees:)) and used the glide...it worked great -stopped the chafing and pain immediately. I also like it because it comes in a roll up tube (like stick deodorant) so easy to apply without getting your hands greasy.

I've used the Band-Aid brand and it does tend to cause stains, FWIW. I hope Body Glide is better in that respect.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Pro- shoeld plus used in hospitals for bedpains is great for feet. I still prefer running shorts of some sort with skirts.

I used cavilon spray....Waterproof breathable barrier spray used to prevent moisture lesions and pressure sores in hospitals...available over the counter in uk and Spainish chemist.....sprayed on heels and toes ....didn't have blisters.

Most read last week in this forum

I'm about a 6 weeks away from beginning the French Camino. Depending on how I feel when I get to St. Jean, I will either take a train back to Portugal, or continue on to Santiago. In the...
Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back