• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Things I fear

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustJack

Time of past OR future Camino
CF: May/June 2023
VDLP: April/May 2024
It's been over 2 years since I stumbled across the Camino for the first time. Since then I've been captivated, and have spent countless hours researching, planning, and thinking about it, not to mention scheming ways to get away from work and family obligations for such an extended period. Now, with my departure date 6 months away, I'm starting to feel the cold grip of reality, and with that the inevitable doubts and fears.

I FEAR:
  • Problems getting to SJPDP
  • Language problems
  • Sleeping in a room full of strangers
  • Being forced to use public toilets and showers for 7 weeks
  • Not meeting people along the way that I connect with
  • Not gaining any real insights into why I’ve become such a mental basket-case these past few years
  • Not finding someone at least vaguely interested in my story and why I'm walking
  • Discovering that the copious amounts of camino content I've absorbed from youtube and blogs has set unrealistic expectations, and set me up for disappointment
  • Disliking the food
  • Finding out I don’t enjoy walking long distances day after day
  • Not having fun
  • Disliking my fellow pilgrims
  • Finding out my fellow pilgrims are all much older or much younger than me
  • Missing my wife and daughter and wishing they were with me
  • Finding out my wife and daughter aren’t missing me nearly as much as I’m missing them
  • Feeling lonely
  • Missing the comforts of home
  • Feeling like it wasn’t worth all the difficulties involved with traveling to Spain for 7 weeks
  • Getting back to the real world after living in a camino bubble for almost 2 months
  • Finding out that going back to my job after this experience is intolerable if not inconceivable.
  • Wanting to repeat this experience over and over every year, much to the chagrin of my family who might prefer to go to a beach resort.
Thank you for coming to my TED Talk.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Jack ( this makes me smile … I hope that doesn’t add to your fears 😀).

I also don’t want to glibly say that you’re worried about nothing.
The first toe into an unknown is scary for us all. It’s hard to get across to you at this point in your thoughts., that most of these thoughts melt away once you’re into day 1 or 2.

I can only suggest that you ‘try’ to move your focus to the positive things that may happen. Sometimes it’s easier said than done.

Being prepared as you seem to be doing will relieve a lot of the nervousness.
Don’t be worried about age differences … most of the time we are all accepted as being the same. A pilgrim on camino.
The young and the old mix very well. People looking out for you in a way that doesn’t seem to happen at home.

Keep smiling and buen camino
Annie.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Not gaining any real insights into why I’ve become such a mental basket-case these past few years

Discovering that the copious amounts of camino content I've absorbed from youtube and blogs has set unrealistic expectations, and set me up for disappointment

This can be a real concern. I'd suggest that at this point you just focus on practicalities like your gear, getting to/from the Camino, phone plans, etc.
Please don't put pressure on the Camino to change your life. Just go and enjoy it!

You listed numerous points relating to potential negative scenarios, but the last 3 or 4 points you wrote give the vibe "what if I like it too much".
Even if you don't enjoy the experience at least you know and can move forward with life in a non pilgrim direction.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@JustJack -

I hear you. I empathize...and I am not personally good at this trait. :)

My professional background caused me to always have ready plans A through F, at least. BUT!!!...

I always knew that such plans could only integrate a) what I could control and b) those things outside of my control that I could anticipate.

So focus on planning things that you CAN control. It is going to be a short list if you are realistic.

Don't worry about things beyond your control. A wise person once remarked to the effect that worry is paying interest on trouble that may never occur.

Chances for your best possible Camino reside in your attitude. In the final analysis, that is the most important thing under your control.

Buen Camino!

B

It's been over 2 years since I stumbled across the Camino for the first time. Since then I've been captivated, and have spent countless hours researching, planning, and thinking about it, not to mention scheming ways to get away from work and family obligations for such an extended period. Now, with my departure date 6 months away, I'm starting to feel the cold grip of reality, and with that the inevitable doubts and fears.

I FEAR:
  • Language problems
  • Not gaining any real insights into why I’ve become such a mental basket-case these past few years
  • Not finding someone at least vaguely interested in my story and why I'm walking
  • Discovering that the copious amounts of camino content I've absorbed from youtube and blogs has set unrealistic expectations, and set me up for disappointment
  • Disliking the food
  • Not having fun
  • Finding out my wife and daughter aren’t missing me nearly as much as I’m missing them
  • Feeling lonely
  • Feeling like it wasn’t worth all the difficulties involved with traveling to Spain for 7 weeks
  • Getting back to the real world after living in a camino bubble for almost 2 months
  • Finding out that going back to my job after this experience is intolerable if not inconceivable.
  • Wanting to repeat this experience over and over every year, much to the chagrin of my family who might prefer to go to a beach resort.
  • Problems getting to SJPDP-Once in Madrid, train from Madrid to Pamplona, then bus from Pamplona to SJPP.
  • Language problems- Most camino guide books have a collection of commonly used phrases in Spanish. Study them. A great alternative is the app Google Translate. Learn to use it...it's actually quite simple.
  • Sleeping in a room full of strangers- You'll be too tired to care. Plus you can get private rooms.
  • Being forced to use public toilets and showers for 7 weeks. Strengthen you legs so you can "power squat"- LOL!
  • Not meeting people along the way that I connect with-I wouldn't go on a camino to connect with people. You don't have to go to Spain for that.
  • Not gaining any real insights into why I’ve become such a mental basket-case these past few years- If you can't figure that out where you are currently at, you'll probably wont figure that out in Spain.
  • Not finding someone at least vaguely interested in my story and why I'm walking-Most everyone is willing to listen to a fellow pilgrim's story.
  • Discovering that the copious amounts of camino content I've absorbed from youtube and blogs has set unrealistic expectations, and set me up for disappointment- People do tend to share the "highlights" of their trips. It's like a photo album. Go with the mindset of expecting the unexpected. 30+ days in Spain will provide plenty of ups and downs. Hopefully more ups than downs.
  • Disliking the food-Everything tastes great when you're starving. Hiking 12-15 miles a day will work up a hearty appetite.
  • Finding out I don’t enjoy walking long distances day after day- You can take some zero or nearo days, take a cab or bus, or cut your trip short.
  • Not having fun- If you enjoy the outdoors, you'll have fun.
  • Disliking my fellow pilgrims-Not gonna lie, YOU WILL bump into some pretentious a-holes, but you'll find some that are ok. People are people...the camino can't change that.
  • Finding out my fellow pilgrims are all much older or much younger than me-I was 49 when I did my Camino. There was a good balance of older and younger that I was.
  • Missing my wife and daughter and wishing they were with me-It's gonna happen. The views, the walk, the heat, the aches, the blisters, the towns, the churches, the fellow pilgrims, the bars, the meals will keep you busy.
  • Finding out my wife and daughter aren’t missing me nearly as much as I’m missing them-Then don't go.
  • Feeling lonely-See my reply to the two bullets above this one.
  • Missing the comforts of home- This can happen, especially if you're "too civilized". As comfortable as my life is, I always make sure not to get "too comfortable". Learned this from my father and after going through Hurricane Andrew.
  • Feeling like it wasn’t worth all the difficulties involved with traveling to Spain for 7 weeks- Quit the camino and change up your visit.
  • Getting back to the real world after living in a camino bubble for almost 2 months- You'll be ready for the real world after being away for such a long while.
  • Finding out that going back to my job after this experience is intolerable if not inconceivable.-Having to pay bills will make your intolerable/inconceivable job doable.
  • Wanting to repeat this experience over and over every year, much to the chagrin of my family who might prefer to go to a beach resort.- I had an amazing first camino experience, but I wouldn't want to do it every year. I have summers off, I can afford to spend 2 months every year in Spain and I won't do it. There's too much to see in this beautiful world and it's not all in Spain.

Last edited:
Don't worry about things beyond your control. A wise person once remarked to the effect that worry is paying interest on trouble that may never occur.
So true, but often is easier said than done.
I have shared this before on the forum..."Worry is like a rocking chair going nowhere".

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Feeling like it wasn’t worth all the difficulties involved with traveling to Spain for 7 weeks- Quit the camino and change up your visit.
I had no idea if I would like walking long distances day after day, so I decided on a plan B - go hang out on beach in Spain.

The Camino isn't for everyone. If you decide it's not for you, you don't have to finish it. Furthermore, there is nothing wrong with you if you discover that the Camino is not your thing.

Last edited:
All of those things seem fairly likely to happen, to some degree, so you might as well just accept that instead of fearing it. You could make a similar list about almost any endeavour/trip/vacation/hobby you undertook. For that matter, you could create an equally alarming list about deciding NOT to go.

Your expectations of a transformative experience are unrealistic. Better to just look forward to an experience that has good and bad, but will likely have a net positive effect on your life.

Don't let perfection be the enemy of the good.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Lots of practical and pragmatic advice here! We will do our first Camino Frances from O’Cebreiro next year and we have a mix of excitement, trepidation and a somewhat puzzling feeling of peace about it. No-one said it would be easy! Someone recently sent me a quote “Not every day is a good day, but there is something good in every day”. Wishing you a safe and wonderful experience. Vai bene. Buon Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

I FEAR:
  • Language problems
  • Disliking the food
  • Not having fun
  • Feeling lonely
Your trip is a long way off and it is natural to worry about all sorts! Just part of the process! It’s ok to worry too! Hopefully as the trip becomes closer, you will be able to focus on the practicalities rather than the more abstract. But there will be ups and downs. Don’t expect too much, At it most basic It a genteel slow repetitive walk across towns, cities and countryside in a highly developed country, with great bars and food. It’s not Everest. Just normal everyday folks, young and old. Manage expectations. I enjoyed doing the Camino. It was a cracking 4 weeks, that I look back as a great memory, but no more than that. A good old walk and a bit of ‘time out’. And that is fine and I have filed it away as such! And I want to do another one, a different one. For some it is life changing and that’s great too of course! I hope it’s what you want it to be!

"I've had a lot of worries in my life, most of which
never happened" -Mark Twain

Last edited by a moderator:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

I FEAR:
  • Language problems
  • Disliking the food
  • Not having fun
  • Feeling lonely
Fears or concerns? If you genuinely fear some of the things you list then I feel you need a deeper level of help than you'll find here - and I'm not being glib either. I'm particularly thinking of the way you describe yourself as a "mental basket case". Fears and phobias can cause untold damage to mental health and shouldn't be dismissed lightly.

If, on the other hand, they are just concerns that you have then there is an active chapter of the Canadian Company of Pilgrims in Victoria who can guide you on your way:

Canadian Company of Pilgrims/Facebook

Canadian Company of Pilgrims website

Either way I wish you a Buen Camino - it's a blast!

Just to address one of the fears:
Now, with my departure date 6 months away
I FEAR:
  • Language problems
You can learn a lot of Spanish in six months, and you already have a huge passive vocabulary in Spanish without even knowing it (e.g. you can already understand the Spanish words universidad, televisión, volumen, rápido and thousands of others without having ever studied the language, given the Latin influence in English).

Try Notes in Spanish Inspired Beginners or search threads here where people give recommendations for the many excellent resources available for Spanish.

If you find resources/methods that you enjoy, language learning can be fun as well as extremely useful. If not speaking any Spanish is a genuine fear, there’s no real excuse for not making an effort. With the time you have, you can go beyond learning a few words/phrases and really get into the language. If you don’t know where to start with language learning in general, watch videos by polyglots such as this one by Steve Kaufman for inspiration.

¡Buena suerte!

For the language, you may want to check out duolingo. It is free.
I understand you concern about walking distances. Many years ago when my husband and I rode across the US I had the same fear. I put together a spreadsheet with short, medium and long miles for each day, and we built in some rest days. It was helpful to see the various options.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

I FEAR:
  • Language problems
  • Disliking the food
  • Not having fun
  • Feeling lonely
Perhaps it might help if you make such an intensive list of all the things you might like when walking a Camino and concentrate on that

I'm starting to feel the cold grip of reality, and with that the inevitable doubts and fears.
Those doubts and fears are not necessarily inevitable, and certainly not worth feeding. Go back and read posts 8 and 18, both offering wise and grounded advice.

have spent countless hours researching, planning, and thinking about it,
Planning is useful to a point, but not if it's a defense against feeling anxious about what's coming. That's a positive feedback loop that only goes to more anxiety,

Just deal with what's in front of you. Here and now. The rest will take care of itself.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

I FEAR:
  • Language problems
  • Disliking the food
  • Not having fun
  • Feeling lonely
All legitmate concerns; however, JUMP IN WITH BOTH FEET!! The last one on the list, oh yeah!!

I like this quote," the more you overthink,the less you will understand." The daily unexpected events and happenings of camino life is exactly what I like about it. It's one of the few times in my life where living in the moment is the most challenging and fulfilling.

Pre-Camino fears are so common, especially for women walking alone about safety. At least you don't fit into that category! I did.

Let me tell you a story: Before my second Camino experience, on the train to Pamplona I met a older man like you with so many doubts and fears. He was apprehensive about the entire experience: his capabilities, the family he left behind, etc. I assured him he'd be fine. We separated quickly as I was re-starting in Pamplona and he was going to Roncesvalles. I didn't see him again until Belorado. It was one of those magical happenstances of the Camino. It was my last night that year as I had to head home early. I chose an Albergue at random and opened the door to enter and......there he was! We were tickled to see each other again after so many miles. And how he had changed! He was happy, strong, confident, and had made many friends along the way. He had conquered his fears in spite of many hardships. He was a changed man.

The Camino is not a destination. It's a journey. And it's not always easy. That's a given and something that can take some people by surprise. There will be days you wonder why you are walking. There will be days you are lonely. But there will also be days you connect with unexpected friends and days you find the miles pass easily as you grow stronger.

For the next 6 months I suggest you avoid Camino movies, travelogues from people who have done the Camino, YouTubes, and even photos of the places you will see in person. They will only set you up for expectations which may or may not be met. In my humble view, the beauty of the Camino is the unexpected and the strength you find in yourself by yourself.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
For the next 6 months I suggest you avoid Camino movies, travelogues from people who have done the Camino, YouTubes, and even photos of the places you will see in person.
Avoid them full stop.
They are what has made you anxious, @JustJack, not the actual camino. You'll meet that in real time, boots on the ground. All the rest is thinking, imagining, and dreadcasting.

My first Camino is six months away also and I share a number of your fears. Most of mine center around the simple ability to do it. But I think all these fears are totally normal and will sort themselves out as we go. I am just focusing on being a prepared as I can be and letting everything else just happen as it does and crossing bridges if/when I get to them (literally and figuratively).

I FEAR:
  • Language problems
  • Disliking the food
  • Not having fun
  • Feeling lonely
Great post - it made me smile as well. Looking forward to the post-Camino TED talk. :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Me too! To all of the above. Except I speak Spanish and Portuguese, so if I am walking with you I will gladly help you communicate.

If you are leaving in May, fly Toronto to Bordeaux and take the train St-Jean-Pied-de Port. Regular Bus service from the Airport to the train station.

I FEAR:
  • Language problems
  • Disliking the food
  • Not having fun
  • Feeling lonely
I know what you mean! For me, even after many many Caminos, I still share many of these same fears and doubts every time I go— it’s only natural to wonder what the heck I’m doing, hardly anyone understands it, and there’s always that huge unknown factor of not knowing what to expect or what I’m going to learn about myself. I have a friend who, upon arrival in Spain, before even beginning the Camino, turned around and went home. To this day she says she has no regrets, she did what she needed to do to take care of herself in that moment. Everyone’s experience is different and unique to each individual.
My strategy for managing a lot of the worrisome stuff is, once I have my basic plan set— and the basic info I need to get started when I get off the plane— I make a point to unplug from all the forums, etc. for a month or 2 prior to my departure. I stop reading about the experiences of others because their experience won’t be what mine will be. Plus, this helps empty my brain of expectations and go with a more open mind and heart. For me, having no expectations, or as few expectations as possible, makes it so that I simply accept what’s happening in a given moment and just deal with whatever it is. I think I must have about 11 Compostelas now and every journey has always been an adventure full of pleasant surprises, never any of the negative stuff I might fret over in advance. Sure, there can be challenges— but they are always something that can be remedied. “Real life” is of course different when I get home. And I believe this is one of the factors that motivates people to start planning their next Camino right away. And despite all the time spent doing Caminos, I still manage to spend time having fun with my grown children and grandchildren. My spouse actually appreciates me more because he knows what 6 weeks without me is like… so sometimes (but not always) I take him or my daughter with me too. They have now become Camino aficionados too, lol!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

I FEAR:
  • Language problems
  • Disliking the food
  • Not having fun
  • Feeling lonely
JustJack... I understand. Change your point of view, from fear to excitement! redefine your word fear and replace it with nervous and excited about this journey. Sit in that excitement. but change the word from fear to excited. everytime the word pops up in your head? swap it out, see if that changes your concerns into a nervous adventure!

I FEAR:
Since I seem to be taking these one at a time, here goes:

On our first camino (Francés), my wife (41 at the time) and I (37 at the time) found this to be the case. This is anecdotal but it seemed most pilgrims we saw/met were either in their early-mid 20s or retirement age. At first we thought we might still be cool enough to hang out with the young crowd, but eventually we realised that we enjoyed the company of the older folks more. I found they had more life experience, were able to talk about a wider variety of topics etc. So I wouldn't worry about this - be open to all the pilgrims you meet and you'll find your niche, wherever that may be.

Since I seem to be taking these one at a time, here goes:

On our first camino (Francés), my wife (41 at the time) and I (37 at the time) found this to be the case. This is anecdotal but it seemed most pilgrims we saw/met were either in their early-mid 20s or retirement age. At first we thought we might still be cool enough to hang out with the young crowd, but eventually we realised that we enjoyed the company of the older folks more. I found they had more life experience, were able to talk about a wider variety of topics etc. So I wouldn't worry about this - be open to all the pilgrims you meet and you'll find your niche, wherever that may be.
People in your age group are often too busy with children and careers to take the time off necessary for a Camino.
An exception seems to be teachers in the summer months.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Maybe this is over simplifying, but you will figure it out. Especially on the CF there usually always someone else around who can help you figure it out, if a solution doesn't seem immediately clear. I don't really agree that you should try to stay away from information about your upcoming walk. There will be things that you'll want to know about before you arrive. For example, you may want to know what time the trains, bus, etc. leave from certain cities so you can get to your starting point. You may want to know if there is a holiday or a transportation strike coinciding with your arrival. You may want to know what the weather forecast is for your first few days. You may want to know if places that you intend to stay in the first few days take only cash or whether they accept plastic. Maybe make sure you know where an ATM is (what towns) so you can get cash if needed. Believe it or not, we met a pilgrim our first day who had rushed to start his Camino with absolutely no euros. He did not have money to pay for his first night's bed or meal and the albergue did not take credit cards. We loaned him some cash and he paid us back a few days later.

I think these are all reasonable things to ponder and research in advance. As for the catastropic thinking, such as what if....I don't like the food, people, etc. those are outside of your control. Maybe just focus on the logistics of the beginning of the journey and wait and see about the rest.

My guess is that some of the things that you fear will in fact happen, at which point they won't be fears any longer but real challenges that you must -- and will -- figure out how to deal with. None of those challenges will kill you, and many of them will leave you wiser, stronger and better prepared for whatever fate hands you next. And if you really can't bear the camino experience, nobody says you have to finish!

I FEAR:
  • Language problems
  • Disliking the food
  • Not having fun
  • Feeling lonely
Yup. You will likely feel and think all those things and more. Each day. Several times each day.

"Remember that the minute you take your first step into the life of your dreams, the first to greet you there will be fear.

Nod. Keep walking."

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It sounds like you have done your research. Be kind to yourself! Be aware of your fears but don’t let them control you - focus on going with an open, positive mind. Don’t let the destination overwhelm you, instead focus on the journey. Plan accordingly and realistically as to what you think you can handle on any given day. The guidebooks are very helpful but the stages are just a suggestion - we loved staying in smaller towns in between and enjoying the local culture. There is always help available; the Camino does provide. Get used to walking long distances, not just now and then but for days in succession. Wear comfortable shoes, pack light. You will do fine. The Camino is rich in experiences: challenge, peace, friendship, loneliness, joy, learning. Before we went we shared some of the same fears but in the end it was one of our best life experiences. Buen Camino and may you enjoy great weather!!

I FEAR:
  • Language problems
  • Disliking the food
  • Not having fun
  • Feeling lonely
What do I know?
None of these 'fears' came up on my radar screen and pale into insignificance to my main and most dreadful/terrifying of all my fears . . . the fear of myself.

. I don't really agree that you should try to stay away from information about your upcoming walk. There will be things that you'll want to know about before you arrive. For example, you may want to know what time the trains, bus, etc. leave from certain cities so you can get to your starting point. You may want to know if there is a holiday or a transportation strike coinciding with your arrival. You may want to know what the weather forecast is for your first few days. You may want to know if places that you intend to stay in the first few days take only cash or whether they accept plastic. Maybe make sure you know where an ATM is (what towns) so you can get cash if needed.
All of what you mention are what I consider "practicalities" and that's the kind of knowledge that can help make a Camino go smoother.

However, reading too many books and watching too many videos about other pilgrims' experiences can create unrealistic expectations about the Camino. I think that it's best to go with good planning, but without the influence of someone else's experience to measure your own experience against.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Maybe this is over simplifying, but you will figure it out.
Actually it's not an over-simplification at all, just common sense.

It's not a hike in the wilderness.
Pilgrims are basically a kind bunch, regardless of age.
"The Pyrenees" are just a big hill where the Camino Frances crosses them.
Spain is an extremely civilized country where you can get anything you need.
One day in, you'll wonder what you were so darn worried about.

Last edited:
All of what you mention are what I consider "practicalities" and that's the kind of knowledge that can help make a Camino go smoother.

However, reading too many books and watching too many videos about other pilgrims' experiences can create unrealistic expectations about the Camino. I think that it's best to go with good planning, but without the influence of someone else's experience to measure your own experience against.
I really like reading Camino books and watching Camino movies, but then again, I don't try to superimpose those things on my Camino experiences. I also like to read the Forum and read about people's experiences. I think it is up to each individual's frame of mind. It might make some people feel insecure about their upcoming adventure, but for me it is entertaining and enjoyable.

This can be a real concern. I'd suggest that at this point you just focus on practicalities like your gear, getting to/from the Camino, phone plans, etc.
Please don't put pressure on the Camino to change your life. Just go and enjoy it!
Experiencing the sense of achievement will pale all of that into insignificance and your positive list at the other end will leave you shaking your head.

I really like reading Camino books and watching Camino movies, but then again, I don't try to superimpose those things on my Camino experiences
I think that it's different if you read the books and watch the movies after you have been on the Camino at least once.

Hi Jack! (not a good thing to say if your flying:))

Many people talk themselves out of walking because of the unknown. (i nearly did as my walk go closer but i thought don't go won't know so i went )
The unknown is the fun bit; there isn't much you cant sort out with common sense!

Don't worry about the stuff you can't change like the weather, flight delays etc..
Like Trecile said deal with al the practical things you can control that will centre your thoughts.
You will be fine and meet loads of good people.
since joining the forum i have collected (copied lots of sayings) to inspire me to walk.
Here's one a bit cheesy i know.
Sometimes it’s okay to take a leap of faith on humanity and yourself. It might be one of the best decisions you ever make".

Just Jack just go!

Buen Camino
Woody

Last edited:
A wealth of good advice in this thread, I love it. And, as has been pointed out, your last "fear" suggests that you fear a positive outcome. So I, like so many others here, say, "go for it."
I am reminded of a favorite quote from the book "My Oxford Year" by Julia Whelan:
If you don't open yourself up, how can you be surprised by life?
And if you're not surprised, then what is the bloody point?
Buen Camino,
--james--

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I appreciate the many supportive comments. I should have been a bit more clear in my post that these "fears" certainly aren't debilitating. And for the most part I welcome most of them as an integral part of the journey.

Interestingly, I was going to follow up with a list of things that I'm looking forward to, but it turns out the two lists are remarkably similar. So perhaps a bit of subtext to my original list would provide more context.

I FEAR (with subtext):
    • Getting to SJPDP is surprisingly difficult, in that there's no easy direct route. But it is what it is, and millions before me have managed and so shall I.
  • Language problems
    • I have my Duolingo app (just need to actually use it), so hopefully I'll have a grasp of the most basics of the language. Calling on the phone for a reservation might be beyond the scope of what I'll be able to do, but I'll manage.
    • Of course I could opt for private rooms or hotels, but for me staying in albergues is part of the experience, and I wouldn't miss it.
    • yeah this part sucks, as I really like having a clean modern private bathroom. I'll just have to suck it up and get used to it.
    • This is a carry over from my regular life, so nothing new. Fingers crossed I get lucky and meet some great people.
    • I shouldn't use terms like this so lightly. I'm exaggerating. But the past couple years of no travel have taken a toll, as has a job that I'm losing passion for, so a break from it all will be welcome.
    • My list of reasons for walking is a long one, and discussing it with a stranger to get some objective feedback is something I'd love to experience. Fingers crossed that happens.
    • This is a real possibility, but I'm doing my best to keep my expectations in check.
  • Disliking the food
    • I'm really looking forward to Spanish food, but less so the (reportedly) bland and repetitive pilgrim dinners. I'm also not a fan of canned tuna, and not looking forward to having my lovely fresh salads sullied by its presence. But I'm totally looking forward to the coffee and the fresh-squeezed orange juice!
    • This would be more of a surprise than a fear I guess, as I do love walking and hiking. I've never done it day after day though, so we'll see.
  • Not having fun
    • I expect I'll have good times and bad times, as it should be. And I'm pretty sure I'll have all sorts of fun. That said, this isn't "holiday" for me. I take lots of holidays. This is an opportunity for me to come to terms with some issues that have been around since my childhood.
    • I suspect there will be some of this. Any time there's a large segment of people there are going to be some that are disagreeable. Such is life.
    • A reality of the camino, and not a serious concern.
    • This is a real concern, especially as it pertains to my daughter. I've never been away from her for more than a few days, so it's going to be tough. But worth it ultimately, so I'll just grin and bear it.
    • This is in some ways a hope, not a fear. I don't want to have to worry about how they are doing back home. But it's also just being realistic. When you're away from home traveling, time moves differently. A week into my camino I know I'll feel like I've been away for a month. But for them it's been just another regular week of work/school, so the impact to them will be far less.
  • Feeling lonely
    • A definite possibility. I've experienced this in the past when traveling alone. But again, this isn't a holiday for me, and if there are some hardships then so be it.
    • For sure this will happen. But it's the price you pay when you travel. I'm used to it.
    • I can't imagine this fear will become a reality, but of course it's possible. I'm hopeful that within a day or two of the camino I'll put this one to rest.
    • This is a true fear, and one of my biggest. After looking forward to this adventure for so long it's going to be really hard when it's over. Yes I know I can simply start planning my next camino, but in the meantime I have to get my head back in the real world. But that's life, and I'm grateful to have the opportunity to opt out of the real world for 7 weeks.
    • A real possibility, due to the aforementioned loss of passion for my job. With luck I'll think of a new direction while I'm walking, and won't need to return to the same job.
    • I expect this to be a reality. I've already started suggesting the whole family walk a shorter camino the following year. With luck my wife will fall in love with it, and we can plan yearly caminos together.

This process of listing my fears/hopes/concerns is really cathartic :). So glad to have a forum like this, as it's difficult to convey these points to friends and family that have no knowledge of or interest in the camino. The fears are real, but as I said I feel they are integral to the overall experience, so I welcome them and I'm embracing them. (or doing my best to)

My list of reasons for walking is a long one, and discussing it with a stranger to get some objective feedback is something I'd love to experience. Fingers crossed that happens.
Why not list them here on the forum? Or if you haven't already you can join your local chapter of Canadian Company of Pilgrims.
I'm also not a fan of canned tuna, and not looking forward to having my lovely fresh salads sullied by its presence.
Just ask for your salad sin atún.
This is a real concern, especially as it pertains to my daughter. I've never been away from her for more than a few days, so it's going to be tough. But worth it ultimately, so I'll just grin and bear it.
You can always video chat with your daughter. Are you getting her involved in your journey? You can order this large map from the Forum store, and she can follow along. A blog on Find Penguins automatically generates a map as you go, so friends and family can follow you across Spain.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

I FEAR:
  • Language problems
  • Disliking the food
  • Not having fun
  • Feeling lonely
The last 3 may be your only real problem! Trust me I had all the same fears and the result....the best experience of my life (and I was 71 when I walked the whole way!

Why not list them here on the forum? Or if you haven't already you can join your local chapter of Canadian Company of Pilgrims.

Ha ha - my "list" would be more of a book. Perhaps a tome. It's a very long story that would require a long time to tell. Not conducive to a web forum unfortunately.

Just ask for your salad sin atún.

Thank you! My Duolingo app doesn't cover this.

You can always video chat with your daughter.

I'm going to attempt to limit my contact with home to occasional text messages, as I don't want to be dwelling too much on what's happening at home. I'm really hoping to disconnect to a certain extent (but we'll see how that goes). For my sisters who want to follow along I'll do a daily post on Facebook, and my wife and daughter can follow along there as well.

I FEAR:
  • Language problems
  • Disliking the food
  • Not having fun
  • Feeling lonely
Just go back to bed Jack

Hey Jack!

We are kindred souls. Thank you for helping me write a little about some of my recent experience on the Camino Frances. You could not have given me a better writing prompt!

“I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.”

Frank Herbert, Dune

On 10 Sept 2022 I walked up to this mojon just outside of Belorado, and it struck real fear in my heart! Real FEAR. I know. False Emotions Appearing Real. Blisters. Arthritis. Swollen ankle. We were not even yet on the Meseta and the physicality of my fully-completely-planned Camino was beating me down. The Way was playing with my mind junk as a cat plays with a mouse.

IMG_3615.jpg

I saw this mojon, stopped, and took this picture to remember my first encounter will real fear and doubt on the Camino. I am a 59-year-old male, with years of a sedentary lifestyle due to breaking my ankle, who had given up on camino-like adventures. I was carrying a 20-pound backpack, committed to making the journey all the way to Santiago de Compostela, on foot, never shipping my pack forward, never taking a taxi or bus. I came on this pilgrimage to walk it, to live it.

I came expecting to figure a few things out about myself and think about how I would live the rest of my life. If suffering was to be my lot, then suffering I was ready to endure. I came on this pilgrimage to have a transformational experience. I like to say, I made a "Pilgrim's Wager." I thought I had no illusions. I recognized that it would be hard at times. I've done many "hard" things in my life. Many scary things. Night diving. Sleeping alone overnight in bear country. The Air Force Survival School. And etc.,

I had read Shannon Wallis' wonderful book titled, “WE The Change.” I highlighted the following passage where Shannon describes resting midway in a hotel and her husband visits her, pours her a bath, and listens to all her complaining about aches, pains, and the travails of the Camino. Here is what he said to her.
“What were you thinking? It wouldn’t be a pilgrimage if it weren’t challenging." (Shannon Wallis, WE the Change)
I come from a philosophical approach to life that says you can never over-prepare. I was a boy scout. What can I say? I've learned over the years that it is not so much about the preparation but rather how you deal with the setbacks. At some point it's, "Ready or not, here we go!" And there really is a cold place for timid souls...

But there I was, fearing. The blasted milestones or as they should be called, kilometer-stones are called mojones. The evil language lords gave multiple meanings to their Spanish words... Mojon always meant something very different to me, brings up images of large floaties in outhouses. Not in Spain. They love these signposts. They put stones on them like cairns. Most of the mojones in Castillo y Leon have the Castillo crossed out. The Camino is a living and breathing romp through history and culture.

I recognized in my fear that 554,6 Kilometers was not how far we had walked. None of these kilometer-stones tell you how much you have accomplished. They don't mark the distance traveled. They tell you how far you have left to go. So, I learned quickly to do a little mental math at each mojon. 800-554 = 246. Ok, super, Lance, now you need to celebrate what you've accomplished already, so far! Don't let yourself get caught up in the massive gap between where you are and where you're going. Easier said than done.

That sign in front of me outside of Belorado indicated we had walked more than twice as far as necessary to get from Sarria to Santiago.... which is all that is needed for the Compostela. This means, if we had started in Sarria we would have already walked there and back again. But, we were going from Saint Jean to Santiago. In reality, we were doing well. My fears were irrational, right? I'm sorry, but 554K is still a long way to go, and that day it really scared me!

What do you do? Take another step. Walk on. I continued my thought experiment... because, on the Camino, you have all the time you want for as much thought experimentation as you desire.

1. What's my worst-case scenario? I'll have to catch a couple of buses or taxis? It will take me longer? Maybe I'll have to jump forward to Sarria and give all of our aloted time to walk just the last 100K, maybe 5-10k per day? With all those fresh, clean partying pilgrims? Should I bike across the Meseta or skip it altogether, like many were already planning to do? Could I live with that? What was MY Camino supposed to be like? Blah! Mind junk!

2. What's THE most likely scenario? Couldn't I take better care of my blisters? How about using ice packs every night on my ankle? I know I'm not supposed to be taking ibuprofen, but what if popped a Spanish 400mg pill at breakfast and lunch? So what if it takes me an extra rest day or two to get to Santiago?

3. What's the best-case scenario? What do I need to do to make that happen? One step at a time, brother. One setback at a time. One workaround after another. Ok, where's my next cafe...and a tortilla so I can take that bloody, horse-pill-sized, ibuprofen.

A lot of people will say to not plan too much. I say plan all you want. Tell God your plans, I've heard others say that if you want to hear God laugh, tell him your plans. Well, something like that. Do you think God likes it when we tease him?

I'll say this, no plan survives first contact with the Camino. So plan all you want. Plan as much as you need to, whatever it takes to get you to step across that threshold and go do it. Make a Pilgirm's Wager. Because in the end, you can't plan a Camino, you can only live a Camino. Viva!

Viva La Meseta! Viva getting that "Buen Camino," from the old man walking with his blind man's cane in the middle of the road, between Mansilla de las Mulas and Reliegos. Viva that old man walking in the wrong direction! Viva the hippy Albergue in Reliegos with the best homegrown tomatoes... ever. Viva Sor Theresa, in that little Ermita leaving Rabe de las Calzadas, who grabs your hands so hard that you can still feel her bony fingers as she will not let you go until she gives you her pilgrim's blessing. Viva! Viva the timing and location of these blessings. Maybe its what gets you to Santiago. Likely. Viva las 2nd breakfasts, and 3rd cafes-con-leches. Viva? Why? Because you can. Because you are alive. Viva your Camino amigos buying rounds of 1906s! Viva la lluvia, y navigando rivers of cow-mierda up and over O'Cebreiro and down through Samos. Viva how the only two days of rain on your whole darn Camino became the most peaceful, magical part of the journey. Viva placing your hands on the ancient fig trees, oaks, olive, pecan, and chestnuts that have witnessed thousands, if not millions of weary peregrinos making their way to the end of the world. Viva the one-person bar and Albergue operators. Viva the rude pilgrims who showed you how to give hospitality to receive hospitality. Viva, the hospitalero, who advises you to never forget to look back to where you've come from. Viva breathing in the most beautiful sunrises and then turning around and walking because you have 21k left to go that day. Viva the crunch, crunch, metronomic crunch of step after step on the rock path of the Meseta. Viva La Meseta! Viva the slow, agonizing descent for kilometers and kilometers into Molinaseca, needing to stop in Molinaseca, but not wanting to stop because you have a reservation in Ponferrada. Viva, writing in your journal that next time you will stay in Molinaseca. There will be a next time? Viva the candle-lit "menus del dia" and getting to dine with a couple of retired Spanish brothers living their dream of walking through Galicia together. Viva when one of the brothers exclaims, "Pero, que bajo de mierda en Galicia!" Viva the multiple times you will hug Camino friends again and again believing you'll never see them again. Viva the sound of bagpipes walking into the plaza. Viva still not knowing what you want to do with the rest of your life. But Viva, understanding, a little better, how you will live whatever it is.

Viva!

If fear is the mind-killer, let me suggest a little faith.

If it's any consolation, there are millions of us who have lived it.

Viva La Meseta!

Viva! Your Camino.

Viva.

Congratulations on scheduling your Camino! Between now and then....BREATHE!!!
You will figure it all out between now and when you arrive in Santiago. You may find sleeping in a room with 20 strangers completely comfortable after a couple of nights, you may decide that you need a private room, you will only know that after you get there. You will meet people you connect with, some of them might become long term friends. You will meet people who are not your favourite flavour and find people who find you are not their favourite flavour. You will figure out which foods you like and are available in most places you stop for a meal.
It will be okay. It will be great. It will be miserable. You will be happy. You will be sad. You will be uncomfortable. You will be in some degree of pain.

Camino is difficult and easier than you think it will be. It is a paradox in all ways.

Breathe. Breathe. Breathe.

Walk as much as you can between now and then. Test all your gear in all sorts of weather. Find hills to walk up and down (with your loaded pack). Learn to walk with trekking poles. Pick up a light, firm ball and learn to foam roll to massage out shin splints, sore feet and hip muscles. Learn a few Spanish phrases: Buenos días, Por Favor, Gracias, Adiós, Café con Leche, Cerveza, Vino Tinto :D and have a translation app on your phone.

Buen Camino, Peregrino!!!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

I FEAR:
  • Language problems
  • Disliking the food
  • Not having fun
  • Feeling lonely
It is a good thing to identify your fears. I am wondering also about invitations. When you look at this list, are there new ways of holding all that, invitations. Happy journeying. Your camino has begun.

I FEAR:
  • Language problems
  • Disliking the food
  • Not having fun
  • Feeling lonely
My answer would be , put all your negativity you have behind you , go and enjoy you be surprised how much you will want to return ..it is an easy route to follow just follow the signs , you be surprised by the amount of a warm welcome you will receive and time will just fly by .. I walked half of it on my own earlier in the year , the other times I was joined by others , some were old enough to be my grandchildren ... there bound to be the odd pilgrim whom you will not get on with , but the majority will welcome you round the table to have a drink or lunch with just invite yourself , also you find others who want to be left on their own to do the camino their way ..don't worry not knowing the language I got by without any issues .. I have the bug to go back not yet decided on a date , most likely be a last minute decision..enjoy and Buen Camino

I don't have answers to your fears. I don't really think answers are necessary. You will have fears. Go anyways. Practice your courage.

If you have difficulties proceeding while carrying your fears, you probably need more motivation. Maybe make a list of hopes to help motivate you. Just recognize that the hopes won't all come true, just like the fears won't.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

I FEAR:
  • Language problems
  • Disliking the food
  • Not having fun
  • Feeling lonely
Just do it.

Don't be too rigid in your approach to the Camino. There is no one right way to do it. You may start out with an idea of how you want to do the Camino, such as minimal contact with family, staying in albergues, etc., but you may find that you can incorporate some of that into your Camino and have a positive experience. Don't over think it and make too many rules for yourself!

@dougfitz wrote this in another thread. Be prepared for things to change along the way.
That also means being prepared for the nature of my pilgrimage to change along the way, something I probably didn't appreciate that much when I first walked the Camino Navarro and Camino Frances. I didn't know that this would happen most when I reached Sarria, when a mass of mainly local Spanish pilgrims join the route, and it was disrupting for a day or two. When I next walked a longer route in Spain, I was mentally prepared for that, and to make it a part of my pilgrimage.

I FEAR:
  • Language problems
  • Disliking the food
  • Not having fun
  • Feeling lonely
Don’t think too much, just do it.

• Problems getting to SJPDP-Once in Madrid, train from Madrid to Pamplona, then bus from Pamplona to SJPP.
  • Language problems- Most camino guide books have a collection of commonly used phrases in Spanish. Study them. A great alternative is the app Google Translate. Learn to use it...it's actually quite simple.
  • Sleeping in a room full of strangers- You'll be too tired to care. Plus you can get private rooms.
  • Being forced to use public toilets and showers for 7 weeks. Strengthen you legs so you can "power squat"- LOL!
  • Not meeting people along the way that I connect with-I wouldn't go on a camino to connect with people. You don't have to go to Spain for that.
  • Not gaining any real insights into why I’ve become such a mental basket-case these past few years- If you can't figure that out where you are currently at, you'll probably wont figure that out in Spain.
  • Not finding someone at least vaguely interested in my story and why I'm walking-Most everyone is willing to listen to a fellow pilgrim's story.
  • Discovering that the copious amounts of camino content I've absorbed from youtube and blogs has set unrealistic expectations, and set me up for disappointment- People do tend to share the "highlights" of their trips. It's like a photo album. Go with the mindset of expecting the unexpected. 30+ days in Spain will provide plenty of ups and downs. Hopefully more ups than downs.
  • Disliking the food-Everything tastes great when you're starving. Hiking 12-15 miles a day will work up a hearty appetite.
  • Finding out I don’t enjoy walking long distances day after day- You can take some zero or nearo days, take a cab or bus, or cut your trip short.
  • Not having fun- If you enjoy the outdoors, you'll have fun.
  • Disliking my fellow pilgrims-Not gonna lie, YOU WILL bump into some pretentious a-holes, but you'll find some that are ok. People are people...the camino can't change that.
  • Finding out my fellow pilgrims are all much older or much younger than me-I was 49 when I did my Camino. There was a good balance of older and younger that I was.
  • Missing my wife and daughter and wishing they were with me-It's gonna happen. The views, the walk, the heat, the aches, the blisters, the towns, the churches, the fellow pilgrims, the bars, the meals will keep you busy.
  • Finding out my wife and daughter aren’t missing me nearly as much as I’m missing them-Then don't go.
  • Feeling lonely-See my reply to the two bullets above this one.
  • Missing the comforts of home- This can happen, especially if you're "too civilized". As comfortable as my life is, I always make sure not to get "too comfortable". Learned this from my father and after going through Hurricane Andrew.
  • Feeling like it wasn’t worth all the difficulties involved with traveling to Spain for 7 weeks- Quit the camino and change up your visit.
  • Getting back to the real world after living in a camino bubble for almost 2 months- You'll be ready for the real world after being away for such a long while.
  • Finding out that going back to my job after this experience is intolerable if not inconceivable.-Having to pay bills will make your intolerable/inconceivable job doable.
  • Wanting to repeat this experience over and over every year, much to the chagrin of my family who might prefer to go to a beach resort.- I had an amazing first camino experience, but I wouldn't want to do it every year. I have summers off, I can afford to spend 2 months every year in Spain and I won't do it. There's too much to see in this beautiful world and it's not all in Spain.
What he said.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My list of reasons for walking is a long one, and discussing it with a stranger to get some objective feedback is something I'd love to experience. Fingers crossed that happens.
Undoubtedly! One of the joys of the camino is that conversations can get real pretty quickly, if you want to go there.

This is a true fear, and one of my biggest. After looking forward to this adventure for so long it's going to be really hard when it's over. Yes I know I can simply start planning my next camino, but in the meantime I have to get my head back in the real world. But that's life, and I'm grateful to have the opportunity to opt out of the real world for 7 weeks.
Who knows? Maybe maybe not. Perhaps you'll be ready to go home and integrate into daily life what you've seen and known along the way.

You may start out with an idea of how you want to do the Camino, such as minimal contact with family
Some people like the camino as a retreat, with the simplicity that comes with distance from devices - as well as space from home life. If this is you, @JustJack, don't feel pressured to be constantly connected. It's really worth doing.

Some people like the camino as a retreat, with the simplicity that comes with distance from devices - as well as space from home life. If this is you, @JustJack, don't feel pressured to be constantly connected. It's really worth doing.
I wasn't trying to convince him to do it one way or another, but to be flexible in his approach.

I FEAR:
Fly, Bus, train or by foot?
  • Language problems
most Spaniards can understand a certain amount of english, some do pretty well and many are capable of speaking multiple languages!
Yes, that's part of the game! You can avoid by using more private rooms in albergues. But is more expensive.
Yes and no. Never used a "public" toilet. Used the toilets and showers in the albergues. And guess what? They were clean!
Some solitude will appear and you will have company. The Camino will give you what you need, not what you wish.
Sometimes the insights will need time to settle! I needed 2 years to get that.
That's none of their business! You will find interesting people to talk to and if they are interested in you, they will just ask. You will walk your Camino and they will walk theirs.
Just be sure that you will walk your Camino, and only yours.
  • Disliking the food
You will discover an amazing variety of food. I was invited to taste pulpo and like many seafood, it is not my kind of preferred food. I had no difficulties to find something to eat, even in the smallest hamlets.
Then you just end your journey where you are, get to one of the better known touristical spots and enjoy your stay! Nothing to wonder about.
  • Not having fun
You will have fun! It was one of the best experiences in my life.
They will come and they will go.
So what? Get used to it. I crossed the Alps last year and the group consists of a dozend people between age 18 and 63. We had so much fun that we will meet again in 2023 in the Dolomites!
That will happen. For sure. Shows that you are human like all other pilgrims.
They will.
  • Feeling lonely
You bet that this will happen! But it will change. Maybe change you, your mindest and your attitude.
I shouted and cursed many times. Nothing to be ashamed of or to give up. For me, the Caminos are a journey of mind and will.
Maybe this will happen. Maybe not. I will do a Camino Portuguese on spring break 2023. I separated from my wife, divorce will follow, I will change my job soon and will move in February 2023. All can happen or nothing can happen.

Best advice I got: do not overplan! Just be in the moment!

Have fun and BC
Roland

I wasn't trying to convince him to do it one way or another, but to be flexible in his approach.
Agree entirely!
Sorry, @trecile, I could have been clearer. I wasn't directly replying to your post, just thinking of peer pressure and how it's become commoner than ever to stay connected with everything on the camino - which is a loss of something precious, I think.

I FEAR:
  • Language problems
  • Disliking the food
  • Not having fun
  • Feeling lonely
Thank you for this list which saves us the trouble of making our own. This is not a sarcastic comment. It is literally true. There are upwards of 250000 of us a year who walk the camino and every single one of us is concerned to some extent about every single one of those 21 points. But guess what? Many of us go back and do it again, and again. I suspect you will too (nobody does the camino twice. Once maybe, but not twice: three four, maybe twenty or more, but never just twice). Some of your fears may even be justified, but being frightened of something doesn't stop us doing it. You will be OK. Do me (and yourself) a personal favour and say this to yourself once a day "It will be OK". And it probably will be. Buen camino.

Hey Jack!

We are kindred souls. Thank you for helping me write a little about some of my recent experience on the Camino Frances. You could not have given me a better writing prompt!

“I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.”

Frank Herbert, Dune

On 10 Sept 2022 I walked up to this mojon just outside of Belorado, and it struck real fear in my heart! Real FEAR. I know. False Emotions Appearing Real. Blisters. Arthritis. Swollen ankle. We were not even yet on the Meseta and the physicality of my fully-completely-planned Camino was beating me down. The Way was playing with my mind junk as a cat plays with a mouse.

View attachment 136941

I saw this mojon, stopped, and took this picture to remember my first encounter will real fear and doubt on the Camino. I am a 59-year-old male, with years of a sedentary lifestyle due to breaking my ankle, who had given up on camino-like adventures. I was carrying a 20-pound backpack, committed to making the journey all the way to Santiago de Compostela, on foot, never shipping my pack forward, never taking a taxi or bus. I came on this pilgrimage to walk it, to live it.

I came expecting to figure a few things out about myself and think about how I would live the rest of my life. If suffering was to be my lot, then suffering I was ready to endure. I came on this pilgrimage to have a transformational experience. I like to say, I made a "Pilgrim's Wager." I thought I had no illusions. I recognized that it would be hard at times. I've done many "hard" things in my life. Many scary things. Night diving. Sleeping alone overnight in bear country. The Air Force Survival School. And etc.,

I had read Shannon Wallis' wonderful book titled, “WE The Change.” I highlighted the following passage where Shannon describes resting midway in a hotel and her husband visits her, pours her a bath, and listens to all her complaining about aches, pains, and the travails of the Camino. Here is what he said to her.

I come from a philosophical approach to life that says you can never over-prepare. I was a boy scout. What can I say? I've learned over the years that it is not so much about the preparation but rather how you deal with the setbacks. At some point it's, "Ready or not, here we go!" And there really is a cold place for timid souls...

But there I was, fearing. The blasted milestones or as they should be called, kilometer-stones are called mojones. The evil language lords gave multiple meanings to their Spanish words... Mojon always meant something very different to me, brings up images of large floaties in outhouses. Not in Spain. They love these signposts. They put stones on them like cairns. Most of the mojones in Castillo y Leon have the Castillo crossed out. The Camino is a living and breathing romp through history and culture.

I recognized in my fear that 554,6 Kilometers was not how far we had walked. None of these kilometer-stones tell you how much you have accomplished. They don't mark the distance traveled. They tell you how far you have left to go. So, I learned quickly to do a little mental math at each mojon. 800-554 = 246. Ok, super, Lance, now you need to celebrate what you've accomplished already, so far! Don't let yourself get caught up in the massive gap between where you are and where you're going. Easier said than done.

That sign in front of me outside of Belorado indicated we had walked more than twice as far as necessary to get from Sarria to Santiago.... which is all that is needed for the Compostela. This means, if we had started in Sarria we would have already walked there and back again. But, we were going from Saint Jean to Santiago. In reality, we were doing well. My fears were irrational, right? I'm sorry, but 554K is still a long way to go, and that day it really scared me!

What do you do? Take another step. Walk on. I continued my thought experiment... because, on the Camino, you have all the time you want for as much thought experimentation as you desire.

1. What's my worst-case scenario? I'll have to catch a couple of buses or taxis? It will take me longer? Maybe I'll have to jump forward to Sarria and give all of our aloted time to walk just the last 100K, maybe 5-10k per day? With all those fresh, clean partying pilgrims? Should I bike across the Meseta or skip it altogether, like many were already planning to do? Could I live with that? What was MY Camino supposed to be like? Blah! Mind junk!

2. What's THE most likely scenario? Couldn't I take better care of my blisters? How about using ice packs every night on my ankle? I know I'm not supposed to be taking ibuprofen, but what if popped a Spanish 400mg pill at breakfast and lunch? So what if it takes me an extra rest day or two to get to Santiago?

3. What's the best-case scenario? What do I need to do to make that happen? One step at a time, brother. One setback at a time. One workaround after another. Ok, where's my next cafe...and a tortilla so I can take that bloody, horse-pill-sized, ibuprofen.

A lot of people will say to not plan too much. I say plan all you want. Tell God your plans, I've heard others say that if you want to hear God laugh, tell him your plans. Well, something like that. Do you think God likes it when we tease him?

I'll say this, no plan survives first contact with the Camino. So plan all you want. Plan as much as you need to, whatever it takes to get you to step across that threshold and go do it. Make a Pilgirm's Wager. Because in the end, you can't plan a Camino, you can only live a Camino. Viva!

Viva La Meseta! Viva getting that "Buen Camino," from the old man walking with his blind man's cane in the middle of the road, between Mansilla de las Mulas and Reliegos. Viva that old man walking in the wrong direction! Viva the hippy Albergue in Reliegos with the best homegrown tomatoes... ever. Viva Sor Theresa, in that little Ermita leaving Rabe de las Calzadas, who grabs your hands so hard that you can still feel her bony fingers as she will not let you go until she gives you her pilgrim's blessing. Viva! Viva the timing and location of these blessings. Maybe its what gets you to Santiago. Likely. Viva las 2nd breakfasts, and 3rd cafes-con-leches. Viva? Why? Because you can. Because you are alive. Viva your Camino amigos buying rounds of 1906s! Viva la lluvia, y navigando rivers of cow-mierda up and over O'Cebreiro and down through Samos. Viva how the only two days of rain on your whole darn Camino became the most peaceful, magical part of the journey. Viva placing your hands on the ancient fig trees, oaks, olive, pecan, and chestnuts that have witnessed thousands, if not millions of weary peregrinos making their way to the end of the world. Viva the one-person bar and Albergue operators. Viva the rude pilgrims who showed you how to give hospitality to receive hospitality. Viva, the hospitalero, who advises you to never forget to look back to where you've come from. Viva breathing in the most beautiful sunrises and then turning around and walking because you have 21k left to go that day. Viva the crunch, crunch, metronomic crunch of step after step on the rock path of the Meseta. Viva La Meseta! Viva the slow, agonizing descent for kilometers and kilometers into Molinaseca, needing to stop in Molinaseca, but not wanting to stop because you have a reservation in Ponferrada. Viva, writing in your journal that next time you will stay in Molinaseca. There will be a next time? Viva the candle-lit "menus del dia" and getting to dine with a couple of retired Spanish brothers living their dream of walking through Galicia together. Viva when one of the brothers exclaims, "Pero, que bajo de mierda en Galicia!" Viva the multiple times you will hug Camino friends again and again believing you'll never see them again. Viva the sound of bagpipes walking into the plaza. Viva still not knowing what you want to do with the rest of your life. But Viva, understanding, a little better, how you will live whatever it is.

Viva!

If fear is the mind-killer, let me suggest a little faith.

If it's any consolation, there are millions of us who have lived it.

Viva La Meseta!

Viva! Your Camino.

Viva.
Wow...and my favorite fear quote, too.
Whoever you are, please write more. Or point me to your works.

I FEAR:
  • Language problems
  • Disliking the food
  • Not having fun
  • Feeling lonely
I'am also leaving in 6 months, fly out of Vancouver to Madrid May 15th. I have been planning since 2020 and had pretty well had all the concerns you had plus doing it solo. Never attempted something like this myself. All excited before I went to bed at night thinking about walking the camino meeting new friends then wake up in the morning and have self doubts and wondering if I should do it or not. But reading comments on this forum about how many people have done it solo and had the experience of a life time helped me move forward with my plan to go. So last month while walking the dog I said to myself quit putting it off, so when I got home, jumped on the computer and booked a flight. I felt a little elated when I seen my confirmed flight on the computer screen. I thought, I did it, I'am going. I'am still a little worried and nervous but in a good way. If you go maybe I'll see you on "The Way". Buen Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Indeed we m
I'am also leaving in 6 months, fly out of Vancouver to Madrid May 15th. I have been planning since 2020 and had pretty well had all the concerns you had plus doing it solo. Never attempted something like this myself. All excited before I went to bed at night thinking about walking the camino meeting new friends then wake up in the morning and have self doubts and wondering if I should do it or not. But reading comments on this forum about how many people have done it solo and had the experience of a life time helped me move forward with my plan to go. So last month while walking the dog I said to myself quit putting it off, so when I got home, jumped on the computer and booked a flight. I felt a little elated when I seen my confirmed flight on the computer screen. I thought, I did it, I'am going. I'am still a little worried and nervous but in a good way. If you go maybe I'll see you on "The Way". Buen Camino

We may indeed cross paths! It would be great to reference this thread if we do run into each other somewhere in Spain. Buen Camino

Hi Jack,
I can relate to your thoughts and trepidation for your up and coming Camino. Next May will be my first walk to Santiago from SJDPP and after several years of planning and absorbing countless books, Youtube videos and Camino based facebook observations on the matter, I am, like you also apprehensive. So you are not on your own. I guess you have just got to ask yourself. Why do I want to do this? What will I get out of it and will the positives out number the negatives. I do not know how old you are Jack and to be honest I am not really bothered. I am 66. Retired. Had a full and rewarding life. But there's something inside me that wants me to tear myself away from normality, just for 5 weeks. Even at my age I want to learn more about me. What makes me tick. This is the perfect way to do it and if I can come away from the whole adventure and learn anything new about myself, good or bad, thats a bonus! Buen Camino.

“Not every day is a good day, but there is something good in every day”.
That is so true. During my walk (May-June 2022) as it was mentioned numerous times on this board at the time I got hit with a pretty brutal heat wave. Any so-much as a sprinkle of anything remotely resembling rain was a welcomed break. then I crossed into Galicia.....
... and it rained for like 9 days non-stop....
...and somewhere in the middle of this deluge I would walk out in the morning and started noticing that "you know, there IS beauty in the rain". Definitely added to an experience

IMHO, at the end, its what YOU get out of it and how YOU approach it. We can always do negative .... perhaps we should strive to just the opposite

Never fear (another famous quote and maybe someone already said it above - "we have nothing to fear but fear itself") take a deep breath and just put one foot in front of another ... it will all turn out OK

Buen Camino! 👍

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

I FEAR:
  • Language problems
  • Disliking the food
  • Not having fun
  • Feeling lonely
You are overthinking this. Better yet, abandon yourself to the Camino and let the experience unfold and embrace it ... the fears will dissipate. If a woman nearly 72 yrs old can do it solo, so can you; I wanted to do it alone and yet I did not lack company, there are some wonderful people on basically the same journey. Trust in yourself🙏

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back