• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Things I lost on the Camino

jeffnd

Time of past OR future Camino
March/April 2014
I lost the following items while walking the Camino this March and April:

One Cabela's XPG RGB II head lamp. I accidentally left this at the albergue in Carrión de los Condes. By the time I realized I had forgotten it, it was too late to go back. This is a very nice head light and I suspect the only one like it in all of Spain. It could give out 4 different colors of lights and various intensities. It also has a strobe function. I would like this returned. If you happened to pick it up, please send me a private message.

2 Wool Wigwam socks and 1 sock liner. I brought 4 pairs of socks, 2 gray and black and 2 brown. I lost one black sock and one white sock, so I had one mis-matched pair. I also lost one white sock liner. These you may keep.

1 3 euro cent coin. Now, people tell me I'm crazy and that no such coin exists. But I know I had one. I received it at the airport in Paris. I remember it because there's an old saying, "Queerer than a 3 dollar bill." This is not a slur against gay people, it comes from a time when queer meant strange. Anyway, I wanted to post a picture of it on facebook, but I forgot about it for a couple of days and couldn't find it. During a conversation about the Euro, I brought up the 3 euro cent coin and everyone just said that I was insane. If you found this, you may keep it, but please send me a picture.

2 hours of sleep. I arrived in Europe on March 6th. Daylight savings began that Sunday, so I set my clock ahead and wondered why I was the only one up at 7 am. Later when I mentioned daylight savings to my friends, they again gave me that same crazy look as when I mentioned the 3 euro cent coin. So I set the clocks on my devices and watch back to normal time. However, a few weeks later, I was surprised to find myself being kicked out of an albergue at an unusually early hour. Apparently Spain does do daylight savings, they just did it 3 week later then the US. I feel as though these 2 hours of sleep were taken from me and I'd really like them back.

What about you? What did you lose?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My temper - when my son refused for the second time to pin his socks to his pack the way I had showed him and I had to walk back UP the hill from Campomanes to look for said socks (one handknit hiking sock and one liner sock - not even an entire pair)
I found them!

Last edited:
I lost a pair of huge black knickers (I do mean Huge ie Bridget Jones type) - not once, but twice! (first and third Camino).

I lost 3 toenails during the Via de la Plata, and just one during the Primitivo.

I also lost the will to continue - usually every time it rained...

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yehhh. The barber in Muxia told me that with the new hear cut, I lost 10 years. I want them back.

One Cabela's XPG RGB II head lamp. I accidentally left this at the albergue in Carrión de los Condes. By the time I realized I had forgotten it, it was too late to go back. This is a very nice head light and I suspect the only one like it in all of Spain. It could give out 4 different colors of lights and various intensities. It also has a strobe function. I would like this returned. If you happened to pick it up, please send me a private message.

2 Wool Wigwam socks and 1 sock liner. I brought 4 pairs of socks, 2 gray and black and 2 brown. I lost one black sock and one white sock, so I had one mis-matched pair. I also lost one white sock liner. These you may keep.

1 3 euro cent coin. Now, people tell me I'm crazy and that no such coin exists. But I know I had one. I received it at the airport in Paris. I remember it because there's an old saying, "Queerer than a 3 dollar bill." This is not a slur against gay people, it comes from a time when queer meant strange. Anyway, I wanted to post a picture of it on facebook, but I forgot about it for a couple of days and couldn't find it. During a conversation about the Euro, I brought up the 3 euro cent coin and everyone just said that I was insane. If you found this, you may keep it, but please send me a picture.

2 hours of sleep. I arrived in Europe on March 6th. Daylight savings began that Sunday, so I set my clock ahead and wondered why I was the only one up at 7 am. Later when I mentioned daylight savings to my friends, they again gave me that same crazy look as when I mentioned the 3 euro cent coin. So I set the clocks on my devices and watch back to normal time. However, a few weeks later, I was surprised to find myself being kicked out of an albergue at an unusually early hour. Apparently Spain does do daylight savings, they just did it 3 week later then the US. I feel as though these 2 hours of sleep were taken from me and I'd really like them back.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My North American / European adaptor plug in SJPP - through no effort on my part, this was returned to me four months later.

My treasured gloves and liners on a very cold and windy day in Leon (replaced for a few days by socks, and more permanently by warm fuzzy ones in Astorga - seen in my avatar). I tend to beat myself up for days when I lose an item, but with much relief I also lost that tendency when I accepted that, given the economic situation in Spain and the biting wind that day, I probably, and hopefully, made someone very happy.

Last edited:
I lost a paunch I'd had for some time and found a scruffy white beard.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
A hat and towel at Miraz,a merino neck gaiter at a water tap just before Itero de Vega, one sock liner somewhere between Porto and Sdc, a merino baselayer on a first day at Parentis em Bom, my clothes line and pegs somewhere between Ibos and Sanguesa. Lost my way a few times,amongst those was going into Burgos and leaving it, still dont know how i did it on the way in. Lost my footing once at L'isle- Jourdain after realising that I had walked about 3km more than I should have, went into a strop and fell over( instant cause and effect), much to the amusement of a group of schoolkids.

Lost my sense of humour when I tried to relieve myself in heavy rain whilst wearing rucksack and poncho on a steep slope descending down to Roncesvalles. Ended up looking like a beetle on its back.... Actually, I had to laugh!

Hmmm...

I lost much of my predjudice and anger.

I gained much tolerance, forthcoming, and more friendliness and openness towards people I don't know. There is something good in everone, I have found out. I have surprised myself in that respect.

I also gained much inner peace and comfort.

Thank you, Camino.

Lost my sense of humour when I tried to relieve myself in heavy rain whilst wearing rucksack and poncho on a steep slope descending down to Roncesvalles. Ended up looking like a beetle on its back.... Actually, I had to laugh!
I am still laughing. Thank you.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I lost a pair of expensive Revo sunglasses when I stopped to inspect my one and only blister that appeared on day 13 after gloating to my friends that I was the only one of us that hadn't had a blister, just the day before. I also lost a very good friend's email address which I've regretted losing ever since. However, I did find some of the kilo's that were lost by some of the previous posters, I found them in the ice creams, chocolates, churros and cakes that I needed to buy for energy each day.

It does seem funny now. I bet it wasn't quite so funny at the time.

I lost my forum buff, I hung it up to dry at a cafe in the rain this September some where after Leon where you have to cross the road to get to the place. I am still mad at myself as I also broke my glasses and lost my sun glasses,but its my forum buff I miss.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Lost an irreplaceable tube of Lustrecream shampoo. Left it in a shower somewhere. They stopped making it about the time I lost it. It had a lovely personality; useful and glamorous at the same time. RIP - sadly missed.

Lost a twisted elastic travel clothesline. It left me in the Albergue in Santa Domingo. Initially the parting was painful but there are plenty more where it came from. Hope it is enjoying a new relationship with another pilgrim.

Lost a lot of inhibitions. Sleeping in a mixed dorm and sharing bathrooms with strangers does that.

Lost my lifelong aversion to exercise but found a wonderful working body to replace it. Brilliant swope. A keeper.

Lost my obsession with being productive. Probably need to find that; here I am again sitting in a cafe and watching the world go by.

Found an obsession. Don't think that needs explanation!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Lost an irreplaceable tube of Lustrecream shampoo. Left it in a shower somewhere. They stopped making it about the time I lost it. It had a lovely personality; useful and glamorous at the same time. RIP - sadly missed.

Lost a twisted elastic travel clothesline. It left me in the Albergue in Santa Domingo. Initially the parting was painful but there are plenty more where it came from. Hope it is enjoying a new relationship with another pilgrim. Lost my lifelong aversion to exercise but found a wonderful working body to replace it. Brilliant swope. A keeper. Lost my obsession with being productive. Probably need to find that; here I am again sitting in a cafe and watching the world go by.

Hi Jill - So why are you sitting in a cafe in Sydney this lovely sunny spring morning - get your coffee to go and go sit in the sun in the park. As for the shampoo - I am sure that Spanish women will help next time; as for the clothesline - hopefully it sprang back and attacked the "non-pilgrim" who borrowed it. Cheers.

I lost my microfiber towel on the clothesline in Sarria. Could've been swiped, but just as likely forgotten. I discovered it gone the next day in Portomarin. I went to a local store and bought a new one. Due to my weak Spanish, I could only ask "Tiene usted...?" and move my arms as if I was drying my back with a towel. My brother and sister howled when they saw my dance. It worked though. The clerk asked "Microfibre?"

"Si."

Turns out, Spanish for towel is toalla. Duh.

I think I lost a t-shirt, but that was nothing compared to what I found. I found a freedom that I hadn't felt since being a teenager. No spouse, house, or job to think about, just one foot in front of the other. I'm still trying to incorporate that way of thinking more into my daily life.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
@Saint Mike II outside cafe following a hike up a hill, with sticks and small pack - it was in the sun then, but we seem to have lost that now. Think it is just hiding.

The shampoo has been replaced any times with Spanish products - but nothing will replace my beloved Lustre-Creme. image.jpg

Neat thread. I too lost kilos, or for me, pounds, a few of which caught another flight home and rejoined me a few months later. But along with a couple of useless pieces of clothing, I lost my intolerance (or at least a good chunk of it) for annoying people, things and situations. I think I need to reword this - I think I found tolerance for those things which used to annoy me. I just don't worry so much about things now, and try to convey this to my husband and daughter. I do still worry (obsess?) about when I can return though, and am very intolerant of the probable two year time span that is going to take to go back. Reading the above posts, we seem to leave behind weight and "stuff" but carry home a lot of priceless intangibles. And they weigh so much less!

I lost a pair of huge black knickers (I do mean Huge ie Bridget Jones type) - not once, but twice! (first and third Camino).

I lost 3 toenails during the Via de la Plata, and just one during the Primitivo.

I also lost the will to continue - usually every time it rained...
I also lost the will to continue - when walking through the fly invested huge perimeter of Burgos Airport - from which no plane took off or landed the entire time I trudged along. But I found it waiting in Burgos Catedral.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Well the sun has definitely gone hiding this even - 15 mm (about 3/4 of an inch) of at times very heavy rain in the last 2 hours with more expected. So no walking or bike riding tonight or tomorrow. Cheers

I lost the need to be pushing forward all the time and the driving force of finding a ticket for inner peace and comfort. That filling I am not in hurry to find. Throughout the walk in the French Way, I find the opportunity to really quiz and question my self on where I come from, and where I am going. through these test and self analysis I found the simplicity of reaching the Inner voice that is in constant contact with my inner peace, and that is, the driven force that is driving me for more. Irun, I have you under my radar. Buen Camino and peace to all.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I lost about 10 kilos of body weight each time I walked the Camino.
As far as material items combined on two Caminos? Physical property? A bunch of stuff, either lost or "donated". Two pairs of pants. Two shirts. A fleece jacket. A leather belt. About 4-5 pairs of socks and 4-5 pairs of underwear. One pair of flip-flops. I think that's it...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Well the sun has definitely gone hiding this even - 15 mm (about 3/4 of an inch) of at times very heavy rain in the last 2 hours with more expected. So no walking or bike riding tonight or tomorrow. Cheers

200mm overnight at Narooma, just south of us!

De colores

Bogong (Tuross Head)

@Saint Mike II outside cafe following a hike up a hill, with sticks and small pack - it was in the sun then, but we seem to have lost that now. Think it is just hiding.

The shampoo has been replaced any times with Spanish products - but nothing will replace my beloved Lustre-Creme. View attachment 14395[/QUOT

My very expensive 50 SPF hat in Leon, which I replaced with a very cheap but now beloved hat in Ponferrada that has a cool yellow arrow on it. At the the Santiago Airport Ryan Air checkin I gave my Swiss Army Knife to a passenger in line. I forgot it was in my belt. Turns out he wasn't going to Barcelona!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Lost a pair of pants in Pamplona. Left them over the bathroom door. Lost a backpack I was using at night. It tucked in to a 2x2" pouch. Frustrating to lose what little I had.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

just home a week now and am sure i lost some worry lines replaced by laughter lines ,,even the days we got soaked to the skin so bad that our boots could not hold another drop of water,, we found something to admire or laugh about every single day ..found ?? some wonderful kind people that smile and and are genuinely happy to see you when you shuffle into town .and the surprise that my sis and i walked every day together for 6 weeks without wanting to kill each other :D

Camera, adapter, reading glasses, many torches, lots of kilos, my mind....
Heading back to do it all again from Madrid . 6/11/14
Terrified of leaving from madrid.
November. Have no idea what to pack

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Terrified of leaving from madrid.
November. Have no idea what to pack
Greetings I lost a small wooden bead rosary in Astroga. I went for a pizza in a restaurant with an Italian name when I went to get my money to pay I guess that's when the rosary fell out. Did not realize till next morning when I was on the road. Would I have stayed and waited for the restaurant to open later on probably yes. It was special and had touch the walls of the room where Francisco Marto dies ,Fatima.

I lost/left an elastic clothes line in Portomarin. Our clothes were removed from the dryer after a French group decided they would take over our remaining drying time (grrrr) so I had to hang it on the end of the bed. That night we also lost a few hours sleep due to another group drinking too much vino. Not a good day.

I lost the equivalent of my husband's backpack weight and he lost the equivalent of mine. I am glad we packed heavy :).

I lost my sense of time. I lost (well it quit working) my watch, a running garmin I was planning on using at the Amsterdam Marathon 2 weeks after, and my cell phone, which I unintentionally threw in a river. I gained a few unwelcome blisters in exchange. Not a fair trade.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
2nd time around...
Lost: that callous shell around my heart that just developed over the last year- good riddance!! Oh and one pair of knickers (not even a good story to go along with that, they're just gone.)
Found: ability to trust again, be confident again, and just possibly to love again!
To use my new favorite quote by our own @simply B on another thread: "'Not to criticize, but I think the Beatles missed the mark. Love is not all you need. Love is really all there is.'"

I was distressed to lose my ipod at the beach at Galizano, near Guemes, but that's life. I had loaded lots of Eleanor Wachtel's interviews with writers and the Ottoman History podcasts, and dozens of episodes from the Desert Island discs backlog, but all to no avail. I had to rely on the music in my head, and still made it over the hills of Asturias in one piece.

Twice lost our 15 month olds stuffed border collie and once lost one of his babyKeen shoes. All three times walked back multiple kilometers to find the item. I guess that doesn't quite count as "lost" but walking BACKWARDs certainly is deflating, and memorable (every peregrino who passes you wants to know why you are walking the wrong way).

Great example of parenting waveprof. Or is it just that your child has large capacity lungs? :)
He didn't throw a fit. But you can't take a 15 month old for 800 kilometers with only 2 toys and then say "tough luck" when they lose the one that looks like their real dog at home. That's just cruel. And as for the baby keens, we packed light. He had the baby keens and he had a pair of fancy sandles for going out to dinner some evenings (dress clothes sound silly on Camino, but not for a baby. Spaniards are only slightly shocked to see a baby on camino, but they are HORRIFIED to see ANY baby not dressed like the King of England). If he lost that practical shoe we were in trouble.

That said, toys did become a problem because every peregrino and Spaniard we met seemed to want to give him a "camino" gift. It was touching......but heavy. He was gifted (and I'm sure I'm leaving things out): a stuffed rescue dog by a woman running a bar, a miniature walking stick from a shopclerk in O'Cebreiro, a christmas stuffed bear from an albuergue owner in Fromista, a miniature lobster pot from a store clerk in the Basque region (to quote the store clerk, "every child needs one, you know bang bang"), three different extra fancy pilgrim's shells from store clerks who, despite him already having had a scallop shell, felt he needed a "more authentic" one, more candy and chips than I can count, on one occasion a beer (I assume it was meant for us to drink?), free milk about everywhere he went, a bent piece of camino art from a hawker outside Santiago, fresh made bread from the nuns in OCebreiro, and (most touching) a peregrino who had lost her saint james necklace given her by her mother found one almost exactly like it on the trail the same day, she felt it was a "sign", but also felt she should gift it forward to the baby peregrino--she did so in tears.

well i also lost a book in SJPD, left it in the albergue!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I really love this site. A lot of humor also.
I lost my sunglasses but I used the mochilataxi to bring it to another village. Very accurate

Lost my Fit Bit (pedometer) in the mountains just before San Diego de Ortega. When putting my backpack in a locker at the Bugos Cathedral, it fell out onto the floor! Where was it? I haven't a clue...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Lost my Brierley guidebook in Trinidad de Arre. My walking companion of the previous few days saw it later in the evening on the garden table where I'd been sitting and picked it up, thinking he would give it to me in the morning. I set out on my own, early the next morning so did not see him. He carried the book for a couple of days and didn't think he'd see me again, so he wrote my name and city in it with the inscription "Perhaps the camino will take it back to her" and left it in the albergue in Puente La Reina. Two weeks after I returned home I received a call from the receptionist at my workplace with the message that someone had called to let me know that she had my camino guidebook. The caller said she had found my book in Puente La Reina and had seen the inscription with my name. By coincidence she was from the same city so she thought she would use the book for the rest of the camino and try to return it to me when she returned home. She googled my name and found it connected to the company I work for. We arranged to meet for coffee and when she walked into the cafe, we realized we had met! We had chatted at coffee stops a few times during the final week of the camino. I even asked to look at her guidebook a couple of times, not realizing I was looking at my own book! This particular Brierley book means a lot to me. It had it's own camino with someone else but found me again.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Lost my Fit Bit (pedometer) in the mountains just before San Diego de Ortega. When putting my backpack in a locker at the Bugos Cathedral, it fell out onto the floor! Where was it? I haven't a clue...
Something similar happened to me in Triana. I "lost" my hearing aid. Along with the hospitalero we search high and low with no success. That night when putting my glasses into their case I found it in there!

Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Lost my Brierley guidebook in Trinidad de Arre. My walking companion of the previous few days saw it later in the evening on the garden table where I'd been sitting and picked it up, thinking he would give it to me in the morning. I set out on my own, early the next morning so did not see him. He carried the book for a couple of days and didn't think he'd see me again, so he wrote my name and city in it with the inscription "Perhaps the camino will take it back to her" and left it in the albergue in Puente La Reina. Two weeks after I returned home I received a call from the receptionist at my workplace with the message that someone had called to let me know that she had my camino guidebook. The caller said she had found my book in Puente La Reina and had seen the inscription with my name. By coincidence she was from the same city so she thought she would use the book for the rest of the camino and try to return it to me when she returned home. She googled my name and found it connected to the company I work for. We arranged to meet for coffee and when she walked into the cafe, we realized we had met! We had chatted at coffee stops a few times during the final week of the camino. I even asked to look at her guidebook a couple of times, not realizing I was looking at my own book! This particular Brierley book means a lot to me. It had it's own camino with someone else but found me again.

Great story!

Something similar happened to me in Tiana. I "lost" my hearing aid. Along with the hospitalero we search high and low with no success. That night when putting my glasses into their case I found it in there!

I did something similar with my Swiss Army knife. There is a small pocket on the front of my camera bag and for some reason I had stuck it in there instead of in my pocket one morning. For about a week I was without it.

Along the walk at various places, I lost 12 kilos (and that is not counting the overly heavy pack I carried) - pity the kilos found me again back home. I also lost the bags to hold my raincoat and silk sleeping bag liner and one of a pair of gloves (newly bought in Carrion de los Condes). On completion of my walk I flew to Brussels to make my way to Holland and left behind a small plastic medallion (Immaculate Medallion of the Blessed Virgin) given to me by the proprietor of the cafe in Rabe de las Calzades, said to offer protection to pilgrims on their way to Santiago. I accept that maybe the medalion had done its job of protecting me along the way, but did it have take my Akubra hat as well. Whoever found it stuffed along the seat on the plane where I left it, I hope it brings them as much joy and protection as it did me.

I left some kilos behind too.

Unfortunately. .....these were found and returned to me when I got home. o_O

I got mine back too . . . . . with interest. :(

Also lost some of my impatience with others. Hope to lose more on my next Camino.

I lost my microfiber towel on the clothesline in Sarria. Could've been swiped, but just as likely forgotten. I discovered it gone the next day in Portomarin. I went to a local store and bought a new one. Due to my weak Spanish, I could only ask "Tiene usted...?" and move my arms as if I was drying my back with a towel. My brother and sister howled when they saw my dance. It worked though. The clerk asked "Microfibre?"

"Si."

Turns out, Spanish for towel is toalla. Duh.
I left my microfibre towel behind somewhere near Logroño and learned that my lightweight t-shirt from Decathlon dried me better, so I didn't buy another towel. I then left one of these shirts behind 3 times in different places because I always hung it up to dry on the foot of my bed and forgot about it. Each time a kind pilgrim caught up with me and returned it. I leave early because I am a slow walker so others always catch up.
Keep up the Spanish lessons.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back