• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Things I wish I'd known before my first Camino...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes. Huge. It is so big I had to get a special case for it from the same company. I bought it from Amazon and I wish I could tell you more about it but I am clueless. I just told my son I needed a much bigger battery for New Zealand and he did all the work finding it and put it on my phone.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
H

Hi Chacharm, not a reply, a question, I have few questions about Camino Frances, don't know where to ask, I hope you don't mind.
I will like to know if I can purchase some electrolytes e.g. Gatorade Poweraid in the Camino? 28 days for me to arrive to SJPDP.

The most popular and widly available electrolyte drink is Aquarius.
It comes in orange and limon/lime. It is delicious.
It is available in various sizes...cans, 1/2 liter and full liter.
Stores, bars, gas stations.

The most popular and widly available electrolyte drink is Aquarius.
It comes in orange and limon/lime. It is delicious.
It is available in various sizes...cans, 1/2 liter and full liter.
Stores, bars, gas stations.
Grayland is right, Aquarius is available everywhere, but you can get 1.5 l for the price of a can or even tiny bottle if you stock up at the grocery store. Also comes in a sugar free version, they call it "Aquarius Libre" but more difficult to find, usually only in cities or larger towns. What I bring a effervescent tablets. Light to carry, always handy, much less expensive in the end, and helps mask the taste of water which at times can be a bit unpleasant. Some brands even have caffein in the tablets, perfect for the last afternoon push before getting to the albergue.

In no particular order:

Getting to SJPP isn't as hard or as scary as I thought.

Finding an albuergue isn't hard or scary either.

Getting the credencial and having it stamped is not difficult AT ALL. Get a decent dry bag that is easy to get into to keep it in. Keep your actual passport handy too. A lot of albuergues wanted to see mine (WHY??).

Carrying a lunch and a snack the first two days is a really, really good idea.

I am miserable without enough water.

The rain in Spain is mostly in the Pyrenees and Galicia.

I don't like grilled Pulpo.

I didn't need to pack deodorant, a pillow, 3 changes of clothes, a head lamp, a silk liner, a Bierley guide, potassium, can opener, or bar soap.
A couple of extra zip lock baggies will come in really handy.

The things I used every day were the most important things:
clean socks and underwear, walking poles, warm jacket, rain coat and gloves, buff, tissues, smart phone with camera, flashlight, kindle app and music with ear buds and blister treatment and prevention stuff.

Take a cab into Pamplona, Leon and Burgos. I hate walking on cement - particularly in traffic.

When the weather is nice and I am sick of long sleeved tech shirts I can buy a T shirt just about anywhere.

If my pack is too heavy I can just send it ahead with Jacotrans.

Whatever the difficulty is, whining won't change it. Just keep walking!

Walking poles look ridiculously similar. Mark yours up with stickers or something.
You can wrap a little duct tape around them for just in case.
I am headed into León today and this list is spot on!!

I am glad you shared this before I left.

cheers amiga!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.