• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Things I worried about that did NOT merit worry...

How available is while wine?? Red wine makes me throwup, so will be avoiding it. Then again I have also heard there beer is pretty good too!!
Red wines can vary in different countries. IF you actually like red wine, but for whatever reason, it won't stay down (could be the sulphites), if you're open to trying a small taste of the vino tinto, you might in fact, find it agreeable. I rarely drink reds at home, but acquired a 'robust' taste for it. I also never drink beer at home, then discovered San Miguel!! Nothing quenched my thirst quite like the San Miguel.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We start walk on the 17th. I'll look for you guys!
I wish I could feel that confident. I leave on my first Camino, solo, in 7 weeks and must admit I'm starting to feel a bit nervous -- how DO I keep my pack weight down (it's going to be around 20 pounds with me taking only bare minimums), will I get lost?, will I be in any danger? and so on. But bottom line, I'm going!
I'm out about 9.5 weeks from my journey. I am also going solo. I get surges of adrenaline when I think about what i'm going to do. Kind of a fight or flight thing, I guess. I am going, come heck or high water!! Buen Camino

Last edited:
I'm out about 9.5 weeks from my journey. I am also going solo. I get surges or adrenaline when I think about what i'm going to do. Kind of a flight or fight thing, I guess. I am going, come heck or high water!! Buen Camino

I'm nine days out from departure, and I am once again wondering what I was thinking, ha ha! I love Camino Frances. This fall, W. Highland Way with the man, but NEXT spring, something else....maybe the whole CF again, OR VdlP? Something, something....!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks for this thread - its been very reassuring. I set off in 12 days and have been planning this for some time. I have occasionally woken in the middle of the night with "what if" and "what about" concerns but have tried to be philosophical and remember the words of my late father when he advised me "not to worry about things you have no control over". Good advice I think - after all, at this stage, all I can control is my plane ticket and my pack weight! Thanks again CaminoDebrita - perhaps we will meet up along the way. Peter.

Thanks for this thread - its been very reassuring. I set off in 12 days and have been planning this for some time. I have occasionally woken in the middle of the night with "what if" and "what about" concerns but have tried to be philosophical and remember the words of my late father when he advised me "not to worry about things you have no control over". Good advice I think - after all, at this stage, all I can control is my plane ticket and my pack weight! Thanks again CaminoDebrita - perhaps we will meet up along the way. Peter.
Very likely we may run into each other, although I will actually be setting off from Burgos, so if you are beginning at SJPP, less likely!

Your father's advice was excellent. When I remember my parents' words--or other people's words who have passed--I realize that they are visiting and comforting me. Take great heart in your father's words, as he gave them to you to help you, and in revisiting you, is blessing you tremendously.

Buen Camino!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I'm nine days out from departure, and I am once again wondering what I was thinking, ha ha! I love Camino Frances. This fall, W. Highland Way with the man, but NEXT spring, something else....maybe the whole CF again, OR VdlP? Something, something....!
I'll do the VdLP with you next April:D

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'll do the VdLP with you next April:D
Sounds like a plan! I am smiling. I'll be walking this Camino with a friend from this forum, and wishing I had more time so I could've been walking via de la Plata with another!

There were several gentlemen who carried their CPAP machines on Camino, and we were all very accommodating to them.

I would wager that the majority of us older folks are pretty well schooled up on this condition, but you are welcome to preach to our choir ;)

Incidentally, I just last night participated in a sleep study. It was a very rough night!
A rough night indeed, I remember mine well, the nurse woke me at 3.30am to end the study as she said my apnea was crazy. The mask & pump took about 6 months to get used to, but the difference in sleep quality is amazing. For those not familiar with CPAP pumps, the modern versions are virtually silent in operation so won’t trouble others in a bunk house. I’d hope for understanding when I go on the Frances later this year as not sure a pump IN the bed (top bunk) would be doable, so I’d be looking for a bottom bunk for the sake of having the pump on the floor:)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back