• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Things I worried about that did NOT merit worry...

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances SJPP to SdC Oct/Nov 2015
Frances Burgos toSdC March/April 2016
W. Highland Way August 2016
Camino Somewhere September 2017
After having walked the CF in entirety, and while preparing to walk it again, I am reminding myself of the things I worried about before, that I do NOT have to worry about this time.

1. Dogs
Yes, they are present. Most of them are delightful and friendly. Some of them are chained up and pathetic, but I was never bitten, although I know some pilgrims are.

2. Using Servicios
The bathroom exists wherever you are, really. If there isn't a tree, there's a bush. If there isn't a bush, there's a cafe. If there isn't a cafe, there's a place near the track or path. Other pilgrims are not going to stare at you--although if there are Spanish guys in cars, they will honk and yell. You won't die from being honked at. You might hasten to adjust, and do be careful in that haste!

3. Snoring at night
Others will snore. Some who comment on your snoring are offenders. If you can't get used to others' snoring, keep quiet about it lest you come across as an ogre.

4. Quiet and desolate stretches
I learned more about quieting my mind in these areas, and my senses were fully engaged. I love walking alone---will you?

Add to the list if you like!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Adding to the list:

* Finding a bed for the night. I was worried about this since I heard so much about the race for beds. However, it wasn't an issue for us. We stayed in a combo of albergues and hotels - and there are other options of Casa Rurals, Hostels, etc. Finding a bed seems to be mostly an issue in July and August for those who really want to stay in the municipal albergues.

* Getting lost. I'm pretty good at directions, so I wasn't really all that worried about it, but I did study maps quite a lot in the beginning, but after awhile, I just went West, following arrows and other pilgrims. The stretches of open country were the easiest. Cities were harder to navigate.

* Being judged if I didn't do it "right". If I took a taxi or a bus occasionally, stayed in hotels sometimes, used pack transport - would I be seen as a real pilgrim? Then I realized that it didn't matter to me if people chose to judge me for sleeping in a hotel or taking a taxi occasionally. Their judgement is entirely their own business, not mine. I'm on my journey, they are on their journey.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@CaminoDebrita I remember you were asking about stretches of dangerous traffic and whether you should be concerned. How did that work out?

Glad you asked!

Crossings:
I found that I looked both ways--and twice--before crossing the road, each and every time. You can't be lackadaisical about that, and there are some road crossings that merit checking and haste. You will know them when you see them.
Walking into Leon, if you go through the city, was not great for me. I was walking with a very tall guy from one of the Scandinavian countries who was not giving traffic its due respect. I parted ways with him, as I couldn't deal with his just striding into traffic in front of cars.

Downhills were another concern:
I decided that I would go very slowly. Going down into Zubiri was a tough descent; I was slow. Going downhill into Acebo was a tough descent; I went slow. In fact, all downhills were approached in the most slug-like fashion. I did not get hurt, didn't fall (slipped once, no problem), and let the kids race past me. I bandaged up their blisters later on.

HAH! love it....
Love it that you caught the humor there! Totally tongue in cheek, but I'm serious: I was constantly treating someone's blisters. And let me tell you: the best prevention to the blister is a sloooooooow movah! And that's me.

I saw a great piece of graffiti somewhere (I know: none of it is great, but...): Could I move any slower? Why, yes! I could.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
After having walked the CF in entirety, and while preparing to walk it again, I am reminding myself of the things I worried about before, that I do NOT have to worry about this time.

1. Dogs
Yes, they are present. Most of them are delightful and friendly. Some of them are chained up and pathetic, but I was never bitten, although I know some pilgrims are.

2. Using Servicios
The bathroom exists wherever you are, really. If there isn't a tree, there's a bush. If there isn't a bush, there's a cafe. If there isn't a cafe, there's a place near the track or path. Other pilgrims are not going to stare at you--although if there are Spanish guys in cars, they will honk and yell. You won't die from being honked at. You might hasten to adjust, and do be careful in that haste!

3. Snoring at night
Others will snore. Some who comment on your snoring are offenders. If you can't get used to others' snoring, keep quiet about it lest you come across as an ogre.

I learned more about quieting my mind in these areas, and my senses were fully engaged. I love walking alone---will you?

I worry about laying awake all night long, sleepless. I am not used to dormitory sleeping. I hear you are too tired to lay awake after walking all day. I have a good eye mask and ear plugs, plus Melatonin. I hope it will do the trick

I worry about laying awake all night long, sleepless. I am not used to dormitory sleeping. I hear you are too tired to lay awake after walking all day. I have a good eye mask and ear plugs, plus Melatonin. I hope it will do the trick
Relax. Put in earplugs and by 9.30 PM you will have entered conciousness state, getting prepared for next day adventure. You will really be too tired to be bothered, unless you encounter the snorer from Hell. He is out there, but he is rare. And the next day, if you see him, go to another albergue.

Relax. Put in earplugs and by 9.30 PM you will have entered conciousness state, getting prepared for next day adventure. You will really be too tired to be bothered, unless you encounter the snorer from Hell. He is out there, but he is rare. And the next day, if you see him, go to another albergue.

The loudest, most challenging SnoreMaster I encountered was a very overweight gentleman from the grand state of Texas.

His snore-worthy challenger was a petite S. American lady who could not have weighed more than 50 kilos, though! The tiniest little lady ramped it up to a crescendo that woke up the most stalwart of sleepers, me. I can sleep through just about anything.

NOTE: I said nothing, nada, zip to either person, as that would have been rude. On the other hand, a Spanish bicigrino actually touched me in the night to wake me up, to tell me that I was snoring. I was really irritated, especially as he had woken all of us up playing with his pack through the midnight hours.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
He, he.
I do not fear the snorers. What I hate is the (very) early risers: An old Scottish couple: He got up at 4.30 AM every morning with much noise, went to the kitchen and made tea, came back to the dormitory at 5 AM and shouted: "Tea is ready, dear!". The wife got up with even morie noise than her husband, and used her flashlight extensively. At 7.30, when everybody else was leaving, very tired, they were still in the kitchen, preparing their non-allergic breakfast (After tea, that is...), which they carried with them in their backpacks: 2 kgs each...

Not knowing Spanish - there was plenty of people who didn't speak any of the languages we knew. But we slowly figured it out and sometimes we were surprised by what we ordered, when it came. But we found many places to sleep, handled a medical clinic where Spanish was the only language (an injury that held us up for 6 days), bought stuff and in nearly every case people were patient or there was someone who was helpful, and we slowly learned enough Spanish to sort of get by.

I would note that the greatest surprise for us was the number of small kindnesses we encountered. And these put nearly all of our initial fears to rest.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
He, he.
I do not fear the snorers. What I hate is the (very) early risers: An old Scottish couple: He got up at 4.30 AM with much noise, went to the kitchen and made tea, came back to the dormitory at 5 AM and shouted: "Tea is ready, dear!". The wife got up with even morie noise than her husband, and used her flashlight extensively. At 7.30, when everybody else was leaving, very tired, they were still in the kitchen, preparing their non-allergic breakfast (After tea, that is...), which they carried with them in their backpacks: 2 kgs each...

Hate, she is a strongish word
reserved for early risers.
And that is why we use the word
for flashlights and boorish misers.

And here's the tale, my good lad,
of a youngster from South Korea.
He did something considered bad,
worse than traveller's diarrhea.

At first, he wanted in on a meal that we were cooking.
And in we let him, even though he hadn't pledged a euro.
After eating well and drinking well, the dishes he were forsooking,
But the worst came early in the wee hours, and had us all "furioso".

At half past four, is when it came to pass, a loud alarm.
We thought that someone had accidentally forgotten to turn it off.
Then snooze and screech, and repeat of each, so much headache and great harm
every fifteen minutes for every hour until 6 AM (ahem and cough).

Now here's the ending of this tale, and don't forget a word:
To set your alarm in an albergue is nothing short of absurd.
We didn't feel good or happy or rested for that whole day,
And the S. Korean lad--no more than 20--definitely heard what we had to say.

In an albergue, son, there is no "I" ---but only a "We" and "Us"--
and forgive this old gal of six and fifty if she seems to make a fuss.
But if you do that again, you may not see a friend to spend some time and cheer,
So you need to turn off the alarm, turn off the phone, and you owe us all---a beer.

Adding to the list....
It wasn't really a worry, rather a certainty and I was prepared for it: I would be completely and utterly alone for the 4 or 5 weeks I walked the Camino.

That was the CF. In July/August.

HAHAHA HAHAHA :D

A selection of Camino Jewellery

But if you do that again, you may not see a friend to spend some time and cheer,
So you need to turn off the alarm, turn off the phone, and you owe us all---a beer.
Fabulous!

Adding to the list:

* Finding a bed for the night. I was worried about this since I heard so much about the race for beds. However, it wasn't an issue for us. We stayed in a combo of albergues and hotels - and there are other options of Casa Rurals, Hostels, etc. Finding a bed seems to be mostly an issue in July and August for those who really want to stay in the municipal albergues.

* Getting lost. I'm pretty good at directions, so I wasn't really all that worried about it, but I did study maps quite a lot in the beginning, but after awhile, I just went West, following arrows and other pilgrims. The stretches of open country were the easiest. Cities were harder to navigate.

* Being judged if I didn't do it "right". If I took a taxi or a bus occasionally, stayed in hotels sometimes, used pack transport - would I be seen as a real pilgrim? Then I realized that it didn't matter to me if people chose to judge me for sleeping in a hotel or taking a taxi occasionally. Their judgement is entirely their own business, not mine. I'm on my journey, they are on their journey.
I just

Ha Ha. Loved it.

1. Dogs

2. Using Servicios

3. Snoring at night

Thanks for those insights. I had never thought about dogs. I too wondered (worried) about available toilet facilities and even the availability of TP. Apparently it's not the norm there to carry a small shovel to dispose of waste like I'm used to doing in most remote areas, and even read warnings of looking out for waste left by others whenever you want to stop "anywhere", sit down, or put your pack down. ICK!. Looking forward to the long quiet stretches and hoping for complete exhaustion at the end of the day.

I worry about not having enough time to do it justice. (July 5-August 8 is my timeline). I also worry about crowds (see aforementioned dates!!!)

Thanks for those insights. I had never thought about dogs. I too wondered (worried) about available toilet facilities and even the availability of TP. Apparently it's not the norm there to carry a small shovel to dispose of waste like I'm used to doing in most remote areas, and even read warnings of looking out for waste left by others whenever you want to stop "anywhere", sit down, or put your pack down. ICK!. Looking forward to the long quiet stretches and hoping for complete exhaustion at the end of the day.
My son and I carried a 17 gram titanium spade and small supply of TP; we only needed it once but were glad we had it. I assume you've already got your own working kit.

There are plenty of long stretches, but few quiet ones, especially the closer you get to Santiago. The camino tends to be a highly social place. If you want to walk alone, you'll probably need 1) to take a less traveled route, 2) adopt a manner which is friendly but not engaging when you pass others, or they pass you, 3) get early/late starts to avoid the waves, or 4) let it unfold organically and accept whatever it becomes.

I remember once reading that worrying was like praying for what you do not want. I guess it is part of the human condition and we humans do worry. If we could master the art of taking life as it comes, accepting what is and making the best of it, then there would be nothing to worry about :). Maybe that is part of the reason why we are on our journey.

@CaminoDebrita ... for me it was what DIDN'T I worry about!

Would I make, could I do the hills and mountains, would I get lost, would I hurt myself? I worried about dogs, animals, insects, communal showers, dorm sleeping, grinding my teeth in my sleep, bed bugs, strangers, crime, being alone, not liking it, no-one liking me, being sick... oh I could just go on and on :eek:

In the end, I managed to tip-toe past most dogs and only had one run after me... but a kind french man saw him off and I think he probably only wanted to play anyway (dog not the frenchman)! There was a 'cow' incident that possible provided me with one of my funniest camino memories ever. I've fallen over a couple of time but apart from a few cuts and bruises I survived. I loved the albergues, the cameraderie and I even managed in the bathrooms. I loved the mountains and thankfully not one of the things I worried about ever happened. :D

What I never really considered was how homesick I would feel and how much I missed my family. I cried a few times in quiet moments, just wishing I could be with them. In fact, I shortened my first camino and ended at Santiago rather than Finisterre because I just needed to be with them. Certainly the biggest lesson I learned was how much I depend on them. I didn't have a stable family as a child and I honestly didn't realised how much I need them around me. I brought my husband along on my second camino and for the VdlP he's joining me for 2 weeks in the middle. My youngest son is off to university soon and the camino is teaching me how to cope with that. :oops:

I also never ever ever thought I would become addicted to this!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Would I make, could I do the hills and mountains, would I get lost, would I hurt myself? I worried about dogs, animals, insects, communal showers, dorm sleeping, grinding my teeth in my sleep, bed bugs, strangers, crime, being alone, not liking it, no-one liking me, being sick... oh I could just go on and on :eek:

In the end, I managed to tip-toe past most dogs and only had one run after me... but a kind french man saw him off and I think he probably only wanted to play anyway (dog not the frenchman)! There was a 'cow' incident that possible provided me with one of my funniest camino memories ever. I've fallen over a couple of time but apart from a few cuts and bruises I survived. I loved the albergues, the cameraderie and I even managed in the bathrooms. I loved the mountains and thankfully not one of the things I worried about ever happened. :D

What I never really considered was how homesick I would feel and how much I missed my family. I cried a few times in quiet moments, just wishing I could be with them. In fact, I shortened my first camino and ended at Santiago rather than Finisterre because I just needed to be with them. Certainly the biggest lesson I learned was how much I depend on them. I didn't have a stable family as a child and I honestly didn't realised how much I need them around me. I brought my husband along on my second camino and for the VdlP he's joining me for 2 weeks in the middle. My youngest son is off to university soon and the camino is teaching me how to cope with that. :oops:

What a lovely post, thank you.
I can relate to your feelings about your youngest son leaving, it is only when my youngest daughter had left home for a year (she was at Uni) that I realised I was free to do the camino...

As for missing the family, same ! :rolleyes:

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Both Caminos I did were short versions, Leon to Santiago and Ponferrada to Santiago. Both had there challenges and absolutely wonderful moments I treasure. And bitten with the bug want to do all if Camino Frances. But missing my husband was a constant. He is not a walker but I am trying to convince him a slow walk/bus Camino while staying at Casa Rurals may be a compromise way to share this awesome experience. I think I have talked him into Sarria to Santiago. I may have to be satisfied with that but my hope is he will be bitten with this and want to do SJPP to Santiago. Wish me luck.
And everything I feared did not come to pass either. On the last Camino I got sick at the beginning and the end and survived. This thing teaches you resilience if nothing else but also taught me gratitude, appreciation and wonder.
Buen Camino all.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

I really enjoyed your thoughts, and I must tell you, can relate with most of your worries up above.

Before my first CF last year, I worried greatly about dogs....the cows did not bother me at all, as I have some cattle myself, and I understand "cow logic". It irritated me greatly when pilgrims would try to interrupt the flow of cattle walking down their road to a. graze b. get to the barn. That is the only time when I've felt concerned, and cattle will do what they must to get to point a or b. Why do people think it's funny or photo worthy to play with livestock? Don't do it....

In a young woman's posts of her trip videos a few months ago, one of them included some bad language, and the pilgrims were laughing, thinking it was funny, et cetera. Some pilgrims you will NOT want to like you. I know how that sounds, but I do mean it. Don't compromise your values to be with people who are offensive to your sensibilities. I know I'm incredibly idealistic, but for me, the CF was very special and hearing the "N" word on a video posted in our forum was really upsetting. I think I might be sounding like a friend of mine also on this site, and I am quite happy about that.

Missing family...I can completely relate with that. While our adult kids spend just a little time with us nowadays, I missed my husband tremendously. He and I have been together for fifteen years, and while some people remarked "helpfully" that maybe it would be good for me to experience time apart, we are exceptionally close and very good friends and working partners. My first marriage was a very lonely relationship, and I spent a number of years in a foreign land with little comfort or support, teaching myself a language, how to play chess online, watching movies, and struggling to figure it all out. The second time around, I found an amazing man I love spending time with. But not the Camino---he just isn't into it! C'est La Vie!

Best wishes on all. I enjoy your words,

I had some of the mentioned "worries" before we went on our Camino. All the worries were a waste of time, as our camino was "perfect" :) Now my only worry is whether we will be able to go back next year like we are planning. I am sure that worry is a waste of time also, because there is nothing (short of dying) that will stop me from walking again in 2017 :D

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am now feeling quite bored as I look forward to my next outing on the Camino as I have no fears to keep my little mind wondering. The planning was 3/4 of the fun after all! ;)

well... I can tell you that I have 200 days to go before I start the VdlP and my concerns for the CF were a breeze in comparison... my planning is in overdrive... every day I start a new list and then part way through the list I think... STOP... no plans... fabulous stuff :D

well... I can tell you that I have 200 days to go before I start the VdlP and my concerns for the CF were a breeze in comparison... my planning is in overdrive... every day I start a new list and then part way through the list I think... STOP... no plans... fabulous stuff :D

Guilty admission: I get my ticket, then pack mindfully. Beyond that, I haven't planned much for the trip I depart on--in 11 days. I am not worrying much, I am not planning---I know my start date, my first bed, and my final destination and flight home. Beyond that, nope.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Your post made me realize that I've been obsessively planning and then pulling in the reins in this same way. It also made me think that my first Camino is probably less than 200 days away, so now I've counted and it's -- 189!

Worried about your "pair a knees"?:D
No my knees are in good shape. I'm like Poe in Kung Fu Panda, stairs and hills are my nemesis. I struggled going from Pontedume to Betanzos a few years back. We are breaking our trek over the Pyrenees in to 2 stages but I still worry. I don't want to let my friend down. Buen Camino

The loudest, most challenging SnoreMaster I encountered was a very overweight gentleman from the grand state of Texas.

His snore-worthy challenger was a petite S. American lady who could not have weighed more than 50 kilos, though! The tiniest little lady ramped it up to a crescendo that woke up the most stalwart of sleepers, me. I can sleep through just about anything.

NOTE: I said nothing, nada, zip to either person, as that would have been rude. On the other hand, a Spanish bicigrino actually touched me in the night to wake me up, to tell me that I was snoring. I was really irritated, especially as he had woken all of us up playing with his pack through the midnight hours.
Actually the most offensive snorer I have come across is me. I often wake me up. We are leaving in 13 day for our Camino, and want to apologize in advance to those I may keep awake. This part of my life to me is embarrassing therefore I avoid sleeping public areas, but my budget is limited to public albergue or else I would not be able to afford the time off without income.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I had pretty much no worries before my first camino, last fall. I was certain that I had been called by God to do this, therefore there was nothing to worry about. I just didn't think it was my business to be concerned about what might happen. Eventually, I realized that my impression on other people might be a concern. As a senior lady (old maid?) accustomed to living alone, would I be a nuisance to others whose behaviour in albergues or on the camino irritated me? How well could I behave when exhausted or craving privacy, if others annoyed me? I certainly couldn't afford a private room. There were a couple of incidents which I regretted. You would have to ask my victims if I was a real pain in the ass. But it was all part of the experience for me. I want to be perfect (or to think I am) and communal living quickly disabuses one of this fantasy. I now suspect that this is one of the things that God had planned for me on my journey. Nonetheless, apologies to anyone whom I annoyed or offended. I shall be back on the camino again this fall, so have a careful look at my picture if you think you would rather detour around me.

???
hope you gave him a glare next morning? ;)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I had pretty much no worries before my first camino, last fall. I was certain that I had been called by God to do this, therefore there was nothing to worry about. I just didn't think it was my business to be concerned about what might happen. Eventually, I realized that my impression on other people might be a concern. As a senior lady (old maid?) accustomed to living alone, would I be a nuisance to others whose behaviour in albergues or on the camino irritated me? How well could I behave when exhausted or craving privacy, if others annoyed me? I certainly couldn't afford a private room. There were a couple of incidents which I regretted. You would have to ask my victims if I was a real pain in the ass. But it was all part of the experience for me. I want to be perfect (or to think I am) and communal living quickly disabuses one of this fantasy. I now suspect that this is one of the things that God had planned for me on my journey. Nonetheless, apologies to anyone whom I annoyed or offended. I shall be back on the camino again this fall, so have a careful look at my picture if you think you would rather detour around me.

I want to comment first to you, then to @J F Gregory .

First, meeting you and seeing you off as you walked away from me, up the mountain, provided me with a huge lift. It was so joyful....off you went! Victims you created? No. You may have educated some selfish younger people, but not at all.

J F Gregory, I know that the two people that enjoyed informing me that I snored (I am not a noisy snorer unless I am sick, and I was very ill for the first week) were actually pretty mean about it. Make sure that you try to get the furthest bunk away, and just get the best rest you can. As I said, I shared space with mostly people who snored or did some noisy thing that was hard to deal with. Pay a lot, be comfortable. Pay a little, deal with noise!

I'm on both of your sides! "Both Sides Now"

???

hope you gave him a glare next morning? ;)

The four gentlemen who overheard my motherly advice to him--the next morning--were very grateful. Essentially, I gave him the "we" versus "I" talk: YOU are not alone here. WE do not want to wake up to an alarm, especially on SNOOZE several times. What were you thinking?

And he took it in. At the end, I told him: "last night, you told me in these words that your mom used to call BS on your excuses. I am doing the same thing right now, calling BS on your reasoning that you are on a timeline. Don't let this happen again! We all need to be considerate of each other...."

Glad you asked!

Crossings:
I found that I looked both ways--and twice--before crossing the road, each and every time. You can't be lackadaisical about that, and there are some road crossings that merit checking and haste. You will know them when you see them.
Walking into Leon, if you go through the city, was not great for me. I was walking with a very tall guy from one of the Scandinavian countries who was not giving traffic its due respect. I parted ways with him, as I couldn't deal with his just striding into traffic in front of cars.

Downhills were another concern:
I decided that I would go very slowly. Going down into Zubiri was a tough descent; I was slow. Going downhill into Acebo was a tough descent; I went slow. In fact, all downhills were approached in the most slug-like fashion. I did not get hurt, didn't fall (slipped once, no problem), and let the kids race past me. I bandaged up their blisters later on.
Hey there Deb, another thing to take into consideration is sharing the Camino with very large farm tractors.
I wrote a comment several years ago about a guy I observed walking straight forward towards a fast moving large tractor on a narrow path, I think the pilgrim was expecting the farmer to slow down. The farmer did not slow down and the pilgrim missed being wiped out by inches and then turned around shaking his fist and middle finger at the farmer. I was about 100m behind and had safely stepped off the path and loved observing the smirk on the farmer's face.

Hey there Deb, another thing to take into consideration is sharing the Camino with very large farm tractors.
I wrote a comment several years ago about a guy I observed walking straight forward towards a fast moving large tractor on a narrow path, I think the pilgrim was expecting the farmer to slow down. The farmer did not slow down and the pilgrim missed being wiped out by inches and then turned around shaking his fist and middle finger at the farmer. I was about 100m behind and had safely stepped off the path and loved observing the smirk on the farmer's face.

What a story, Don! Honestly, we are farmers, and have a great deal of respect for the large equipment. It sounds like this particular farmer had it "up to here" with people playing "chicken" with him and his equipment. I actually asked a few pilgrims--especially in Galicia--to step off the path and not interfere with herding cattle. Cattle--especially those being tended and led--are mostly pretty docile, but why disturb the animal?

What a story, Don! Honestly, we are farmers, and have a great deal of respect for the large equipment. It sounds like this particular farmer had it "up to here" with people playing "chicken" with him and his equipment. I actually asked a few pilgrims--especially in Galicia--to step off the path and not interfere with herding cattle. Cattle--especially those being tended and led--are mostly pretty docile, but why disturb the animal?
Yep and Yep!

Speaking of walking among the herds. I would love to post a video I was recently sent about various Spanish town playing "chicken" with bulls tethered my a rope. The punishment these citizens take is astounding.

€60,-
Speaking of walking among the herds. I would love to post a video I was recently sent about various Spanish town playing "chicken" with bulls tethered my a rope. The punishment these citizens take is astounding.
DO IT!!

Okay, I will try but it is a long video and besides I'm into The Big Lebowski after last night's Repub debate. I need some humor in my life today
Oh, my gosh....yes. I was watching the carnage as well. No respect....no respect....it was atrocious, Don.

It never ceases to amaze me how many people out there think that the world revolves around them and can't muster the decency to step aside and let a farmer with his tractor, or a herd of cows, get by and be about their business. I would have loved to see the smirk on that farmer's face and given him a big thumbs-up. ;):D

It never ceases to amaze me how many people out there think that the world revolves around them and can't muster the decency to step aside and let a farmer with his tractor, or a herd of cows, get by and be about their business. I would have loved to see the smirk on that farmer's face and given him a big thumbs-up. ;):D
I did give him a thumbs up.

About the old Scottish couple (walking in short pants in the coldest spring in Spain in 20 years; 23 days: 2 days of snow and the rest was rain, partly sun the last day into Santiago...): after two unbearable nights with them; the next day, I stopped at 11 AM in a cafe; I saw them passing by, then I went to the nearaest albergue and stayed there, and never met them again until Santiago. But THAT is another story all together..

€60,-
I don't get the stupidity of suicide by farm machinery, but to do the pilgrims justice, there are doubtless many people on the camino who have no idea about rural life. Cows and farm machinery have never been part of their lives and they just don't perceive that there are certain ways to behave that are sensible, safe, and courteous to the locals, their animals and their machinery. I am more amazed when pilgrims are killed crossing the road. Large machines moving fast are likely to be hazardous to your health!

I don't get the stupidity of suicide by farm machinery, but to do the pilgrims justice, there are doubtless many people on the camino who have no idea about rural life. Cows and farm machinery have never been part of their lives and they just don't perceive that there are certain ways to behave that are sensible, safe, and courteous to the locals, their animals and their machinery. I am more amazed when pilgrims are killed crossing the road. Large machines moving fast are likely to be hazardous to your health!
Oh, you did it...you made me laugh out loud!

Not that it's a funny topic; the "suicide by farm machinery" line just tickled my funny bone!

Worst memory though: Sleeping in a VERY small room with 4 old French on the VdlP: They were all FULL of gas, to the extent that I was sure the air inside the room was green... Both sounds and smells made it a sleepless night... Luckily, I never saw them again!
Oh, I love the French!!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
... Cattle--especially those being tended and led--are mostly pretty docile, but why disturb the animal?
Tourists. Tourists taking pictures, documenting their vacation. We once had to tell a couple to stop pushing their small children (about 5 and 6 years old, we figured) to stand closer to the mother moose and her baby so they could get them all in the same photo. Wild moose, not "tame" cattle. Nothing surprises me anymore...

Not knowing Spanish - there was plenty of people who didn't speak any of the languages we knew. But we slowly figured it out and sometimes we were surprised by what we ordered, when it came. But we found many places to sleep, handled a medical clinic where Spanish was the only language (an injury that held us up for 6 days), bought stuff and in nearly every case people were patient or there was someone who was helpful, and we slowly learned enough Spanish to sort of get by.

I would note that the greatest surprise for us was the number of small kindnesses we encountered. And these put nearly all of our initial fears to rest.
Hi,
I am planning to walk from May 11 this year. Will there be many rainy days? you seem to have done in May/June?
What kind of shoes did you wear
Thank you
Jose

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

1. Dogs

2. Using Servicios

3. Snoring at night

I bought a Dogdazer on eBay as recommended in a recent post. I carry it in the small pocket on my pack's waist strap. Haven't had to use it yet, but there are a couple of very frisky dogs on my training circuit that I've always had to fend off with my walking poles. I'd hate to have to walk ?00 kms with a couple of stitches in my -ss.

Oh, my gosh....yes. I was watching the carnage as well. No respect....no respect....it was atrocious, Don.
I really enjoyed your thoughts, and I must tell you, can relate with most of your worries up above.

Before my first CF last year, I worried greatly about dogs....the cows did not bother me at all, as I have some cattle myself, and I understand "cow logic". It irritated me greatly when pilgrims would try to interrupt the flow of cattle walking down their road to a. graze b. get to the barn. That is the only time when I've felt concerned, and cattle will do what they must to get to point a or b. Why do people think it's funny or photo worthy to play with livestock? Don't do it....

In a young woman's posts of her trip videos a few months ago, one of them included some bad language, and the pilgrims were laughing, thinking it was funny, et cetera. Some pilgrims you will NOT want to like you. I know how that sounds, but I do mean it. Don't compromise your values to be with people who are offensive to your sensibilities. I know I'm incredibly idealistic, but for me, the CF was very special and hearing the "N" word on a video posted in our forum was really upsetting. I think I might be sounding like a friend of mine also on this site, and I am quite happy about that.

Missing family...I can completely relate with that. While our adult kids spend just a little time with us nowadays, I missed my husband tremendously. He and I have been together for fifteen years, and while some people remarked "helpfully" that maybe it would be good for me to experience time apart, we are exceptionally close and very good friends and working partners. My first marriage was a very lonely relationship, and I spent a number of years in a foreign land with little comfort or support, teaching myself a language, how to play chess online, watching movies, and struggling to figure it all out. The second time around, I found an amazing man I love spending time with. But not the Camino---he just isn't into it! C'est La Vie!

Best wishes on all. I enjoy your words,
Hi, I cannot emphasis enough how this thread on things NOT to worry about helped my wife Joan. I am 77 and she is 69, doing the Camino Frances in May. She is convinced now that we won't both die or get severely injured or end up sleeping in an alleyway! Anyway as we are discovering, the forum is helping us iron out all our worries.

We notice you are going to do the West Highland Way in August, may we offer any assistance to you, as we did it last year.

Hi, I cannot emphasis enough how this thread on things NOT to worry about helped my wife Joan. I am 77 and she is 69, doing the Camino Frances in May. She is convinced now that we won't both die or get severely injured or end up sleeping in an alleyway! Anyway as we are discovering, the forum is helping us iron out all our worries.

We notice you are going to do the West Highland Way in August, may we offer any assistance to you, as we did it last year.
I am so glad that this post has helped you! I was a little bit worried because about halfway down, I noticed that one lady said that she had not considered worrying about dogs yet, or something to that effect! I will send you a personal message with some questions and commentary about the W. Highland Way. Thank you so much.

Last edited:
Hi Deb, didn't know you were doing the WHW. I was planning on it, but have now changed my plan for the John Muir Way…..my ancestral home!

Hi Deb, didn't know you were doing the WHW. I was planning on it, but have now changed my plan for the John Muir Way…..my ancestral home!
I originally planned for the John Muir Way, but opted for the W. Highland way because it is an older, more established route, and seems more desolate. We will also be near the castle close to Fort Williams, which is my husband's ancestral castle!

I used headphones every night and listened to music on a loop. I had to. Ear plugs weren't enough for me. I had to sleep on my back using my headphones, but I did sleep. My Ipod saved my life!

I used headphones every night and listened to music on a loop. I had to. Ear plugs weren't enough for me. I had to sleep on my back using my headphones, but I did sleep. My Ipod saved my life!
My husband has discovered that I seem to snore a bit when using two earplugs. It must have something to do with pressure into the ears and eustacian tubes or something. Great!! Now i'm going to worried that I'm going to be the snorer people want to smack!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My husband has discovered that I seem to snore a bit when using two earplugs. It must have something to do with pressure into the ears and eustacian tubes or something. Great!! Now i'm going to worried that I'm going to be the snorer people want to smack!!
Don't worry about snoring! It's a fact of life on the Camino as sure as you'll red wine and bread served with every meal. As sure as having coffee con leche (spelling?) and of walking all day long. Honestly, it's a part of it. If someone thinks it's not going to happen every night, they are fooling themselves!!!

I'm another who says don't worry about snoring - either being a snorer or listening to snorers.

People who snore cannot, I repeat, cannot, help it. I would no more give them a hard time than I would if they were deaf or blind or otherwise disabled. Besides, as one old hospitalero told me, it is simply uncharitable to make someone feel bad about their snoring - everyone snores sometimes. Everyone.

For those who are worried about other people snoring - you will either get used to it, or use earplugs, or use earphones, or get a private room. That's the worst that can happen! But please be kind to people who do snore.

I am walking in June on the Portuguese route and i worry endlessly about snoring! not from them but me! My children have told me that I am a big snorer and i worry about keeping others awake. I will be carrying ear plugs for those around me and i won't even mind if you gently wake me up but please dont throw any shoes, boots, etc. That would make me angry.

I worry about getting over the Pyrenees. :)
We head off from SJPP 4th May and I have worried about the Pyrenees. I decided to walk to Valcarlos and stay the night and then onto Roncesvalles the next day. We fly into France from New Zealand on long haul flights and I thought I would do myself a favour and take the first two days at a slow pace.

Love it that you caught the humor there! Totally tongue in cheek, but I'm serious: I was constantly treating someone's blisters. And let me tell you: the best prevention to the blister is a sloooooooow movah! And that's me.

I saw a great piece of graffiti somewhere (I know: none of it is great, but...): Could I move any slower? Why, yes! I could.
l found the best solution for blisters is having boot/trainers that you have worn in VERY WELL (say 3 - 6 months of regular wear and thin ankle tights under your socks, tighten laces so your feet don't slip or slide into your shoes and tighten laces around the ankles.

I feel duty bound to ruin the very kind and generous tone of this thread and be a little bit pedantic. And boring.

Snoring is a health hazard for the snorer. It can be a strain on the heart and the snorer doesn't get anything like proper rest. I'm mystified by people who snore (sometimes for years, decades) and do nothing to stop it happening, who endanger their own health, and maybe annoy the hell out of family/partners. Many people snore because they're overweight and stop snoring after losing some weight. I'm a Grade A snorer and I will carry a small CPAP machine with me on my Camino Frances next month. Otherwise I'd be exhausted all the time, my blood pressure would go up and I'd be at increased risk of stroke/cardiac arrest, and too many very kind people would have to be patient with me. My snoring can be heard through walls and down corridors - once the guy in the house next door woke me by slamming something against the wall of my bedroom at 3am, perhaps I'm lucky I wasn't murdered. Full disclosure: I won't be staying at albergues, but I've heard of some people who use a CPAP machine while at albergues - carry it in their backpack. A CPAP machine is a computer-controlled air pump attached to a mask which stops people with serious sleep apnoea from snoring. Some are battery-powered (the CPAP machines, not the people, but you never know). An enormous number of people use them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I feel duty bound to ruin the very kind and generous tone of this thread and be a little bit pedantic. And boring.

Snoring is a health hazard for the snorer. It can be a strain on the heart and the snorer doesn't get anything like proper rest. I'm mystified by people who snore (sometimes for years, decades) and do nothing to stop it happening, who endanger their own health, and maybe annoy the hell out of family/partners. Many people snore because they're overweight and stop snoring after losing some weight. I'm a Grade A snorer and I will carry a small CPAP machine with me on my Camino Frances next month. Otherwise I'd be exhausted all the time, my blood pressure would go up and I'd be at increased risk of stroke/cardiac arrest, and too many very kind people would have to be patient with me. My snoring can be heard through walls and down corridors - once the guy in the house next door woke me by slamming something against the wall of my bedroom at 3am, perhaps I'm lucky I wasn't murdered. Disclaimer: I won't be staying at albergues, but I've heard of some people who use a CPAP machine while at albergues - carry it in their backpack. A CPAP machine is a computer-controlled air pump attached to a mask which stops people with serious sleep apnoea from snoring. Some are battery-powered (the CPAP machines, not the people, but you never know). An enormous number of people use them.
There were several gentlemen who carried their CPAP machines on Camino, and we were all very accommodating to them.

I would wager that the majority of us older folks are pretty well schooled up on this condition, but you are welcome to preach to our choir ;)

Incidentally, I just last night participated in a sleep study. It was a very rough night!

There were several gentlemen who carried their CPAP machines on Camino, and we were all very accommodating to them.

I would wager that the majority of us older folks are pretty well schooled up on this condition, but you are welcome to preach to our choir ;)

Incidentally, I just last night participated in a sleep study. It was a very rough night!
I had been snoring for 20+ years when I clamped my CPAP machine to the front of my head. Not young but not as old as I am now. People sometimes ask how I manage to stay "young at heart". I just tell them "Immaturity helps."

I hope your sleep study was productive. Mine wasn't very enjoyable. And I had to push and insist on having one. Having assessed the data, the doctor said "This is worse than I expected." Duh.

I do think that many (young-ish and perhaps even immature-ish) people (I know a few) are in denial about their snoring and don't realise what it can lead to. Besides noise, I mean.

Worst memory though: Sleeping in a VERY small room with 4 old French on the VdlP: They were all FULL of gas, to the extent that I was sure the air inside the room was green... Both sounds and smells made it a sleepless night... Luckily, I never saw them again!
Thats hillarious Alex I hope I don't encounter anyone that bad in September.
Buen Camino

Don't worry about snoring! It's a fact of life on the Camino as sure as you'll red wine and bread served with every meal. As sure as having coffee con leche (spelling?) and of walking all day long. Honestly, it's a part of it. If someone thinks it's not going to happen every night, they are fooling themselves!!!
How available is while wine?? Red wine makes me throwup, so will be avoiding it. Then again I have also heard there beer is pretty good too!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Guilty admission: I get my ticket, then pack mindfully. Beyond that, I haven't planned much for the trip I depart on--in 11 days. I am not worrying much, I am not planning---I know my start date, my first bed, and my final destination and flight home. Beyond that, nope.

I wish I could feel that confident. I leave on my first Camino, solo, in 7 weeks and must admit I'm starting to feel a bit nervous -- how DO I keep my pack weight down (it's going to be around 20 pounds with me taking only bare minimums), will I get lost?, will I be in any danger? and so on. But bottom line, I'm going!

I wish I could feel that confident. I leave on my first Camino, solo, in 7 weeks and must admit I'm starting to feel a bit nervous -- how DO I keep my pack weight down (it's going to be around 20 pounds with me taking only bare minimums), will I get lost?, will I be in any danger? and so on. But bottom line, I'm going!
I've got just over 5 months to go Dee and i'm stressing about a few things, including the packing side of things and keeping the weight down. But after reading this thread some of my worries have gone. But like you, the bottom line is I'm still going!!

1. Dogs

2. Using Servicios

3. Snoring at night

I worry about crossing the Pyrenees. I am reasonably fit, have done a lot of walking, not much hiking. I know it wouldn't be that bad, but somehow I do! Has anyone else felt this way.

Oh yes! my Joan is convinced we will suffer unknown problems. This is the girl who has carried a full camping backpack 30lbs in Scotland and across England.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You will really be too tired to be bothered, unless you encounter the snorer from Hell. He is out there, but he is rare. And the next day, if you see him, go to another albergue.
A passage from my Porto diary [on my web site!] "Dusk was falling, so we returned to the albergue, and all went to bed. Paco and I into the men's dorm, the girls into the other, separated by a 20 metre passageway.
At 10:30 Paco started to snore. I’d experienced snoring in previous albergues, but this was different. Paco would be silent for about fifteen seconds. Then a noise would erupt from his mouth, followed by what sounded like a shout. This went on for four hours.
The volume was such that the empty room actually vibrated at every exhalation that Paco made. Paco could snore for Spain, and I’m sure he held the gold Olympic medal for snoring. I tossed and turned, and tried to ignore it, but all to no avail. At 2:30 in the morning, I gathered my sleeping bag, and went into the girls’ dormitory.
“It’s only me.” I said in a loud whisper.
“Stay!” said Catarina. I had no intention of doing anything else……
[Catarina told me later that they had been warned about Paco! “We could hear him snoring through two closed doors and twenty metres of passage. There was a moment when we had a discussion about whether we should come and rescue you! But thought you might get the wrong idea.... ”]"

All part of the camino experience!
BUEN CAMINO! [without Paco!]

Woohoo we begin on May 4th, we may bump into you or be the snorers you dread to meet again LOL

Yes! I hope we do meet! I'll be the blondish older gal with the blue ULA backpack and the wide-brimmed hat! I'm stopping at Orisson on the 2nd then continuing into Roncevales (hopefully) the next day. But I'm also building in one day a week as a "zero day" for resting up or exploring a particularly interesting town, so I imagine you'll catch up with me sooner rather than later!

adding to worries:
I ALMOST booked The West Highland Way for this summer there my worry was:
After I walked "the perfect Camino" ( with my son, no blisters/injuries and perfect weather) will the second one be a let down? But the Camino won.....I'm still so drawn to it and just have to adjust my mindset and know it will be great once again but just different. :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

This is my second time on Camino Frances....

Your pack weight at 20# is NOT bare minimum!! There are things in that pack right now that you don't need, trust me!

You can achieve what you need at 16#, but that's still with some extras. Start a new post and list all your contents so that some old timers can help you figure out what to leave behind.

My only worry is that my upcoming Camino is not going to be as great as the last one . . .

I'm enjoying the thread.
Buen Camino to all !

How available is while wine?? Red wine makes me throwup, so will be avoiding it. Then again I have also heard there beer is pretty good too!!

'while' wine ? Did you have a couple of glasses already ??? lol
In my experience it will be readily available, so no worries !

Buen Camino !

Last edited:

€60,-
The whites are great but less popular so you may find yourself paying a few pennies more for a glass. Try the local vino blancos, some are almost cidery and fizzy but the Albarino and Vino Verde are terrific. Rosados are an alternative and very popular in Basque Country but remember they are made with red grapes. BTW, Some of the Spanish beers are the best in the world.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back