• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

things to do in Muxia

markaitken

I'll be in Muxia for about 5 days - partly due to a weekend festivo on the 12th Sept and then to mooch around the area. Does anyone have any tips on local interest, walks, etc?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If seafood isn't your thing, it's not mine, though I did eat some spectacular seafood in Muxia, go to La Sirena, and have the Raxo. It's the best I've ever tasted, and the woman that cooks it is just an adorable old lady. They have spectacular seafood too, try the Pesebres (I think that's what they're called) They look quite obscene, but are pretty good.

Take some time to sit on the rocks in front of the church. Stare out at the ocean and just marvel at how far you've come. Then take some time in the church. Look at all of the boats and say a prayer for those who have been lost at sea.

I loved being in Muxia, though I got to go with a real Muxian native who I met on the camino. You get to experience so much more when you're with one of the "native sons"

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Raxo - it looks like it is pork tripe and takes several days to prepare:

INGREDIENTS

1 Raxo (in the north called the tape) Plenty of olive oil, etc. Garlic, peppercorn, oregano, parsley, salt, etc.

Since the dawn of history man has tried to find ways to preserve food that during periods of plenty left over to dispose of them in qualifying.

Today thanks to refrigerators and freezers barely remember those principles which were valid until some decades ago and which gave rise to culinary treats such as sausage, ham, anchovies, smoked fish, etc. This is one of those recipes before they came to our shores the miraculous paprika, which saved many killings but also wiped out many traditional flavors.

Implementation:

1. Cleaning: The Raxo must be clean, with a little fat alreredor but maybe half a centimeter thick. With a bar mechadora are introduced inside an inch of depth a raw garlic clove with two or three balls of pepper, the operation is repeated across the surface every four or five fingers away from each other. In a mortar or a blender is put oregano, black pepper, salt, garlic and parsley, it forms a paste and smeared it all Raxo surface care to cover well, then put on a burlap and allowed to stand in place cool and dry for a couple of nights.

2. After two days in which the active ingredients of the marinade and have fulfilled their function disinfectant, antiparasitic, antioxidant, bactericidal, fungicidal and all those things, yes, completely natural, then it comes to his cooking. To do this we will have a large skillet where we will put plenty of oil and fry the marinated meat as it was.

Goose Barnacle or Percebe

Percebes are barnacles! They look like a gooseneck clam and Spaniards love to eat them. The most common way to prepare them is to boil them for 5 minutes in salted water and serve them hot and fresh.

Walking the hill that overlooks the town is a must. It gives the best impression of the place.
Ate fantastic sardines and salad and bread not far along from the bus pick up point at the harbour. 7 euros between 2, a real feast! At Radeix (?) La Marina on a corner with benches out the front.

Enjoy a drink in Casa La Lorena
Wonderful bar with a great lady . Lornea born in germany who speaks very good english .
She is an artist and has lived in Muxia for 35 yrs.
She has maps of great walks amonght the mountains where food is served.
The walk to Muxia from Santiago was a highlight.
We had previously walked to Finasterre fron St. J Pied De Port in 07 but it is now getting very crowded.
Muxia is the heart of Spain. Enjoy.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
If you can, go to see the 12th century church in Moraime. And if you are VERY quiet, right across from the entrance, and on a little "lip" just up the hill a bit, you might just see a little family of hares who are incredibly unafraid of people.
Go to Praia das Reis. The most beautiful beach in Galicia.
Go and say Hello to Amador the little man in the Bar Pedra de Barca. Ask him to show you his photo with the king and queen.
Go to Camariñas and up to the lighthouse at Cabo Villan. Very friendly lady there who will give you the tour.
Get up early and watch the fishing boats go out from the pier.
If you have transportation, don't miss Cabo Touriñan. What is there? Absolutely Nothing! aaah.
If you can, walk in the Finisterre direction; you will get to the famous stepping stones across the Ria Castro. They have built a bridge alongside: "But the pilgrims, they don't use it," said one lady.
My Gallego wasn't up to explainng the strange ways of pilgrims...
Do enjoy. Muxía is a TREASURE.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, At this stage looks like we are going to finish in SdC on Friday, our flight home is only Monday night. The weather forecast doesnt look to be promising - showers over the whole weekend...
Hi all We are walking the reverse Camino from Muxia to Santiago via Fisterra. Any tips or information to help us on our way?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back