• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Things to do in Sarria

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I wouldn't, but that's just me. There wasn't a great deal to do when I went through. You could maybe consider grabbing a bus up to Lugo and having a look around up there. That is worth a look and plenty of good things to see.

Also, If you have time on the day you head to Palas de Rei, check out the Iglesia de San Salvador de Vilar de Donas. It's located outside Palas de Rei, easily accesible from the camino route, before you get to Palas de Rei.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I wouldn't, but that's just me. There wasn't a great deal to do when I went through. You could maybe consider grabbing a bus up to Lugo and having a look around up there. That is worth a look and plenty of good things to see.

Also, If you have time on the day you head to Palas de Rei, check out the Iglesia de San Salvador de Vilar de Donas. It's located outside Palas de Rei, easily accesible from the camino route, before you get to Palas de Rei.

Thanks for the advice. I think I may just add another day maybe along the way.

If you are heading out to Finisterre, the church/chapel by the sea at Muxia is worth a look. It's where I went after my first year walking and just sat for about an hour thinking over my journey.

If you are a serious walker you could walk from one to the other. It's about 30km. Or I think you can get a bus between them.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If you are heading out to Finisterre, the church/chapel by the sea at Muxia is worth a look. It's where I went after my first year walking and just sat for about an hour thinking over my journey.

If you are a serious walker you could walk from one to the other. It's about 30km. Or I think you can get a bus between them.
Not sure how I’ll be feeling at that point, so I thought I’d play it safe with a bus day trip, but Muxia’s on my list too. 😁

If you are reasonably fit, the last 100km on the CF are not hard. The hardest part is the first day, going up that hill in the trees on the other side of the railway tracks. Which reminds me, when you leave Sarria in the morning, if it's dark, be aware of the railway line you have to cross. Trains do come blasting along it from time to time, so don't go full blown music through headphones until you get on the other side of it. ;)

If you are reasonably fit, the last 100km on the CF are not hard. The hardest part is the first day, going up that hill in the trees on the other side of the railway tracks. Which reminds me, when you leave Sarria in the morning, if it's dark, be aware of the railway line you have to cross. Trains do come blasting along it from time to time, so don't go full blown music through headphones until you get on the other side of it. ;)
Haha, duly noted!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If you're looking for a restful day (maybe getting over jet lag a bit?), Sarria isn't a bad place to be.

I enjoyed an afternoon and evening resting and wandering about. I remember the Panaderia Pallares - memorable for the bread and treats but also for their lovely museum: the Museo Etnografico del Pan which chronicles the history of this family run business (founded in 1876)

I visited the Romanesque Iglesia de San Salvador de Sarria where I got a stamp for my credential. The church is also close to the remains of the 15th century Fortaleza de Sarria, which I didn't visit.

I had dinner in a cafe near the Parque do Chanto - a pretty park with a river.

We had a lovely dinner in Sarria too...as you mentioned, in a small line of cafes looking over the pretty little creek. Pricey, but good.

The churches were pretty much closed when we left the next morning...had to hunt down a rather busy/ grumpy man at the last one before leaving town for our first sello

Tha
If you're looking for a restful day (maybe getting over jet lag a bit?), Sarria isn't a bad place to be.

I enjoyed an afternoon and evening resting and wandering about. I remember the Panaderia Pallares - memorable for the bread and treats but also for their lovely museum: the Museo Etnografico del Pan which chronicles the history of this family run business (founded in 1876)

I visited the Romanesque Iglesia de San Salvador de Sarria where I got a stamp for my credential. The church is also close to the remains of the 15th century Fortaleza de Sarria, which I didn't visit.

I had dinner in a cafe near the Parque do Chanto - a pretty park with a river.
Thank you for these suggestions, I will probably check them all out!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
While not my first choice I found Sarria to be a nice town. Places to eat. A supermercado. ATM machines and a outdoor shop if you need to buy anything you forgot. I got there early once, around noon. Was a beautiful day. Got a bed and then spent a couple hours sitting at an outside table at the bar at the top of the stairs on the Camino path, drinking a beer, eating and watching pilgrims walking up. Saw several that I'd met earlier on the journey.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am thinking of spending an extra day in Sarria before I start my Camino, but have not seen any threads on what Sarria is like or things to do there. Any thoughts or suggestions?
@Marie O'D ,
after walking from SJPP ,I felt my tank was empty after Triacastela and decide to stay extra day in Sarria, but in the morning I felt great and was ready to move and thought it was total waste of time and money , ( without regret though) in hindsight , I should have, could have, would have walked to Portomarin , but I did not. I did not find much in Sarria to do or see except load of pilgrims who were there to start their walk to Santiago .
My take on it.
Cheers !
Buen Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The Fortaleza is worth a look (imo). It's not actually open to be visited (2016), but it's not very difficult to get into it. There's just a tower with a staircase and some carvings to be photographed. I only spent 10 minutes there. The Mosteiro da Madalena is also worth a look.

Things to do in Sarria: start walking.

Isn't it great, you have found positive and negative responses in two shakes of a lamb's tail. Go with the positive ones - it is too far back in time for me to be of any use to you! Trust your instinct. Make a decision. And smile from the teeth out. That is a wonderful piece of advice I got a thousand years ago. Don't ask me to explain it. Just do it. It smooths many a path...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am thinking of spending an extra day in Sarria before I start my Camino, but have not seen any threads on what Sarria is like or things to do there. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Taxi to Samos, lunch in restaurant next to river, tour monastery, taxi back to Sarria.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We had an extra day in Sarria to go to Lugo. You can walk around the old city, especially around the top of the old city walls. We went to the cathedral service as well.

Last edited:
If you happen to be there on the right day, there was an open air pulpo fest in a parking lot near our alburge. It was great! Probably 10 huge tents from different seafood companies. Lots of octopus, lots of wine, lots of people enjoying themselves at long tables. It's over by 3 or 4 in the afternoon though. The location is called Campo da Feira, near the top of the hill and close to the Castelo de Sarria. I don't know how often it happens, but it looks like the space is kind of a weekly farmers market anyway.

Attachments

• IMG_2405.MOV
    33.1 MB
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I stumbled on a 'market', I think on a Saturday, during my last pass through Sarria, Wil be a must do/see next time I am in Sarria!!!

"Traditional fair and cattle market: held on the 6th, 20th and 27th of each month in the Campo da Feria, in the highest part of the town, next to the Camino de Santiago.

In addition to the flea market, exhibition and cattle market, you can also taste the octopus in the traditional stalls of the "pulpeiras".

From https://pensioncasadogallo.com/portfolio-item/campo-da-feira/

If you happen to be there on the right day, there was an open air pulpo fest in a parking lot near our alburge. It was great! Probably 10 huge tents from different seafood companies. Lots of octopus, lots of wine, lots of people enjoying themselves at long tables. It's over by 3 or 4 in the afternoon though. The location is called Campo da Feira, near the top of the hill and close to the Castelo de Sarria. I don't know how often it happens, but it looks like the space is kind of a weekly farmers market anyway.
I will definitely look for this, thanks for the tip!

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back