• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Things to pass the time?

Jeeves

Time of past OR future Camino
August 2018
Hey,

We are currently half way through the Frances route. I know we all have our own ways to pass the time whilst walking. Would anyone like to share theirs?
Buen Camino 🙂

Last edited by a moderator:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
The topic is interesting :) When walking, I tend to drift in and out of my own thoughts, I pray and meditate, and sometimes engage in short bursts of chitchat. I do crave being with my own senses and introspection when I walk, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great question and something tells me your bored and fishing for inspiration to pass the time 😉 apart from listening to nature and the sound of my own voice and others I loved the sound of the earth, grass and crunch of loose chippings under foot in symphony with my breathing and ding from my staff hitting the trail like a mesmeric metronome 🤠

I know we all have our own ways to pass the time whilst walking
Well, if I can just be present with each step without trying to distract myself, that's plenty.

The time knows how to pass well enough without us trying to do its job for it. And fortunately the camino is a super opportunity for less doing and more simply being.

Last edited:
What do I do to pass the time, whilst walking a thousand year old Christian Pilgrimage? 🤔
I do many things that we are not allowed to discuss here........ ;);) Rule #2.

Other than that, I just soak up my surroundings, enjoy the company of those that I meet, and think........a lot!

Often I'll play some music, and Yes I put my ear buds in! The Music that I play will be some of my favourites that enhance the emotional and spiritual experience for me......

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Geez... I guess my freedom of speech standards are much broader than yours because I can't find anything remotely in collision with Rule 2 in the posts before yours.

Or was it just a general reminder/warning?
Look at the little note in the bottom right of the first post. Post was edited. No need to worry, free speech is alive and well on the forum.

Geez... I guess my freedom of speech standards are much broader than yours because I can't find anything remotely in collision with Rule 2 in the posts before yours.

Or was it just a general reminder/warning?

The moderators removed a link in the OP which, apart from the written content in that link, also contained an image which can be viewed as an inherently political statement, and is controversial. The written content was not an issue, and I can see why Jeeves thought it useful for his/her post. :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Whatever takes my fancy. If I'm alone and not inspired by the surroundings I'll listen to podcasts/music/audiobooks.

One of the surpirse successes of my last Camino was an old car game we used to play called The Elephant Packed His Trunk (though I'm sure it goes under a dozen different names". The basic premise being that the first person will say "the elephant packed his trunk and in it he put an apple (or anything else beginning with A)" the next person will then say "the elephant packed his trunk and in it he put an apple and a banjo" and so on and so on until you get to Z. The twist that made this game particularly fun on the camino was that I was walking with people of various nationalities Danes, Dutch, Italians etc. and so it was a great way of learning a few words in those other languages. At least I thought it was, can't remember any of them now 😩 damn my stunted British language skills.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
on't understand the question
As I understood it, it's what to do when the walking gets boring.
The counter-question is what's wrong with boredom? Why do we so need to be entertained all the time? Learning how to tolerate boredom is undervalued, and there are plenty of times on the Camino when you can polish that skill. When it finally comes, the quietness of simple contentment is a huge gift after being addicted to constant stimulation.

I try to pay attention to things that I might not have paid attention to. Like how the light looks on a building, blade of grass, the path. I look for unusual things like bugs, flowers, plants that I don't know. Often this requires a stop and a closer look.

I also sing stupid songs, like folk songs from the countries of the folks I am walking with. I only listen to music when I am really tired and cranky, to lift my mood. Mostly, I like the emptiness in my head. Although my internal chatter never seems to cease! :rolleyes: I try to empty the head, but it is most stubborn!!

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
WW1 marching songs can be useful - especially It's a Long Way to Tipperary (substitute your day's destination!)
That is one of my favorite songs to walk to:) We took some old "Trivia Pursuit" cards that kept us entertained for a while and then passed them on.

The counter-question is what's wrong with boredom? Why do we so need to be entertained all the time? Learning how to tolerate boredom is undervalued, and there are plenty of times on the Camino when you can polish that skill. When it finally comes, the quietness of simple contentment is a huge gift after being addicted to constant stimulation.
What's boredom???
Never experienced it in my life as I remember...
;)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks for all of your replies. We've just reached half way of the Frances route and we enjoyed some new approaches from your suggestions today 🙂

Personally I like to vary my time depending on how I feel and the situation. Sometimes I ask a "Camino question of the day" to keep conversation or thoughts fresh. Below is a different link with some questions if anyone is interested.

PS I originally posted another page with similar questions on it. However as the page was so big I didn't notice it had a potentially politcally sensitive and ambiguous photo on it. I understand and am happy about that page being deleted and this link is better anyway. I hope this one is okay 🤞🏻🙂

As you know, VN, I am not exactly a zen person. But on the camino, I am able to spend 8 hours walking without speaking, and without really thinking about much of anything in a structured way. But time flies, gratitude flows through me, I soak in the gorgeous scenery, and at the end of the day, my head feels like it’s screwed on correctly. But I don’t think that’s boredom. Boredom for me is something like sitting in the dentist’s chair having left my glasses and phone at home so there is nothing for me to read or listen to, waiting for the the novacaine to take effect. Maybe that’s when I need to find the simple contentment, but I cannot imagine ever feeling contentment in one of my least favorite places in the world. 😄

But time flies, gratitude flows through me, I soak in the gorgeous scenery, and at the end of the day, my head feels like it’s screwed on correctly.
That's definitely not boredom. That's being in the flow...and you say you're not 'Zen?'
Maybe that’s when I need to find the simple contentment, but I cannot imagine ever feeling contentment in one of my least favorite places in the world. 😄
Ah, the higher practice.
The camino is too easy for you, Laurie. ;) 😊

(I love your definition of boredom, btw. Perfect!🤣)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I never feel the need for something to pass the time doing while walking the Camino because I associate the concept of passing the time with boredom. Of just going through the motions or I don't want to be there. Like when I was a child and on a long road trip with my parents. The poor souls had to come up with things for my brother and I to do (besides bickering and fighting lol) while sitting in the back seat. So they would come up with ways for us to pass the time more positively.
My time is passed while walking the Camino by walking across Spain and everything associated with that.

Hey,

We are currently half way through the Frances route. I know we all have our own ways to pass the time whilst walking. Would anyone like to share theirs?
Buen Camino 🙂
I walked the Camino Frances, from SJPP to Santiago, for the first time this year. I was never bored, but sometimes the noise of traffic drowned out the sounds of nature. At those times, I would put my earphones in and listen to music on my phone. Sometimes I would even enjoy my own 'Camino Karaoke'! and on a few occasions, accompanied it with a spot of (walking) pole dancing. Apologies to any peregrinos who may have witnessed my 'singing', but you know the saying - 'dance like no one is watching', etc.

I walked the Camino Frances, from SJPP to Santiago, for the first time this year. I was never bored, but sometimes the noise of traffic drowned out the sounds of nature. At those times, I would put my earphones in and listen to music on my phone. Sometimes I would even enjoy my own 'Camino Karaoke'! and on a few occasions, accompanied it with a spot of (walking) pole dancing. Apologies to any peregrinos who may have witnessed my 'singing', but you know the saying - 'dance like no one is watching', etc.
Ha ha I love a bit of singing and dancing too 🕺🎤🎶🧘‍♂️🧘‍♂️🚶‍♂️🚶‍♂️☀️

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I agree. I really enjoy the quiet times on the camino. However I also enjoy some variety and balance this time with other activities. This magnifies and makes me appreciate the quiet and stillness even more.

I hear these things often but I don't understand 'bored', I don't understand 'how to pass the time'.

What is this 'boredom'??

louis-ck-boredom.jpg

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hey,

Buen Camino 🙂

I count my teeth with the tip of my tongue. Sometimes starting with top ones, sometimes starting with the bottom ones, because I'm that type of guy you can't predict.

With each passing year and each passing camino, the counting time becomes less and less and I must eat softer and softer food.

Buen (long-time munching) Camino

I have been thinking about the predicament of needing to pass the time whilst walking the Camino and in a light-bulb moment the answer came to me!

Take a small dvd player and a copy of The Way, with Martin Sheen, then, when you get bored walking the Camino you can pass the time and be entertained by watching actors walking the Camino as you walk the Camino - there, sorted ;).

Pass time whilst walking? Walking is passing time. I just think, watch, listen, feel and smell. And enjoy :)

After arrivel though... I have to admit I get bored quite often in the long afternoons. Especially when the weather demands arriving before 2pm. After a shower, clothes wash and lunch I don't quite know what to do next. Most of the time there is not much to see or do in those tiny, sleepy Camino villages. No, no siesta, that would keep me awake during the night. I used to write blog posts, but my tablet died. So most of the time I just sit down on a terrace with a beer and a book (if I carry one). Waiting for the moment to be allowed to go to bed.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Pass time whilst walking? Walking is passing time. I just think, watch, listen, feel and smell. And enjoy :)

After arrivel though... I have to admit I get bored quite often in the long afternoons. Especially when the weather demands arriving before 2pm. After a shower, clothes wash and lunch I don't quite know what to do next. Most of the time there is not much to see or do in those tiny, sleepy Camino villages. No, no siesta, that would keep me awake during the night. I used to write blog posts, but my tablet died. So most of the time I just sit down on a terrace with a beer and a book (if I carry one). Waiting for the moment to be allowed to go to bed.

It is an odd interlude isn't it - from checking in, laundry done, to waiting for the evening meal - I wonder ... a Frisbee might be a great thing to carry - light, packable, can be used as a plate! - and fun to play with - who wouldn't get involved in a Frisbee game? :D .

I like to tune into the natural world. Try and identify all the bird song and calls I hear. See how many different types of butterfly I can identify each day, try and name the wild flowers....

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have been thinking about the predicament of needing to pass the time whilst walking the Camino and in a light-bulb moment the answer came to me!

Take a small dvd player and a copy of The Way, with Martin Sheen, then, when you get bored walking the Camino you can pass the time and be entertained by watching actors walking the Camino as you walk the Camino - there, sorted ;).
Better still, watch the film multiple times; learn all the parts and act out the drama as you proceed.
Amuse fellow pilgrims along the road as you dive into the river; let your rucksack be stolen and strike up a glancing acquaintance with a Roma family; get drunk and arrested and then entertain your friends with a night at the nearest Parador (BTW you don't get luxury bathrobes in the Leon Parador - trust me on that one!) . . .

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hacky sack looks cool! or - take three and learn to juggle?

There are two positions for filling the afternoon interlude; one is by oneself, the other is with others
So -
Download Spanish lessons onto phone and learn Spanish?
Take penny whistle and learn to play?
Take a game of Jacks (also called knucklebones) - play it with others?
Learn basic massage and offer it free to others?
Learn basic first aid and offer it free to others?
Take a set of bagpipes and ... errmm ... maybe not ;)

Hey,

Buen Camino 🙂
I don’t actually understand. Pass the time while walking? While walking, I am walking. Sometimes struggling, sometimes singing, sometimes thinking of people i know and for whom I pray, but generally: walking, looking, listening, times flies amidst all that. Tomorrow, I might have something else to add as I will walk a short day. I will let you know!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Whatever I do...I am not allowed to say. Lol kinky no freedom of speech. try picking up trash if you see it!

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
In the mornings were my quiet/walking meditation time. No headphones, music etc. after lunch was when I needed motivation or a bit of distraction so I would listen to podcasts or some music. Not everyday but my afternoons was when energy flagged and everything started hurting. Towards the end of the Camino, I worked in an afternoon caña and was like wow, I should have done this from the get-go. Made walking so much easier. 🍻

U R not having us on, I hope ?

Hey,

Buen Camino 🙂
When I am walking through any kind of natural landscape I have a good feeling. In the parts where man made industrial detritus dominates my senses I have some trouble. I have found myself engaging with overlooked and under appreciated parts of the Camino like the gravel under foot. How literally out of place it is having been mined somewhere else and crushed to a useful but generic shape. So I appreciate an individual piece and imagine the original rock it came from and how it formed and the unique place it had on the planet in geologic history.🙂

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back