• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Things to see/things to do

YasminVdC

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Leon to Compostela (September 2015)
Camino SJP to Burgos (July 2017)
Hello fellow pelgrims!

I will be leaving for my first camino from Leon to Santiago on the first of September!
These last weeks I've been planning my route, the albergues, my gear, ...
And since that is now all ready to go, I've been thinking on how to fill my time along the way.

So for all you veteran pelgrims: what are things that I MUST experience along the way (from Leon to Santiago). Which churches should I visit? Which sites should I see? Which restaurants should I try?
Let loose the tourist inside all of us, and please do tell me all the beautiful things I will see/hear/smell along the camino!
I am a complete rookie, so I know NOTHING. So even when you think: "She probably knows that already", well no :p I don't, so please share!
Also, which traditions shouldn't I forget?

Thank you all very much as always for helping everyone on this lovely forum!

Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Leon Cathedral. Also, one of the museums supposedly has the Holy Grail, but I forget which one!

The giant bridge in Hospital de Órbigo. (Also, I recommend the Albergue Verde)

Don't forget to bring a stone for the Cruz de Ferro.

The Templar castle in Ponferrada.

In Villafranca del Bierzo, look for Albergue Vve Fenix.

If you want to avoid the rush in Sarria, there is a very nice, modern pension in Pintin, which is about 4 miles before Sarria, where you can get a room for under 40 euros. http://casacines.com

Melide is famous for octopus or polpo if you're interested in stuff like that.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, I'm sure others will have great suggestions!

Hello fellow pelgrims!

I will be leaving for my first camino from Leon to Santiago on the first of September!
And since that is now all ready to go, I've been thinking on how to fill my time along the way.

So for all you veteran pelgrims: what are things that I MUST experience along the way (from Leon to Santiago). Which churches should I visit? Which sites should I see? Which restaurants should I try?
Let loose the tourist inside all of us, and please do tell me all the beautiful things I will see/hear/smell along the camino!
I am a complete rookie, so I know NOTHING. So even when you think: "She probably knows that already", well no :p I don't, so please share!

Buen Camino!
Buen Camino Yasmin,just let the Camino wash over you and show you it's sights and sounds as surprises rather than from a prelisted set of targets.You do not need anything other than your feet,your eyes and your ears to find the magic of the Camino.May your God guide your footsteps and keep you safe.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Buen Camino Yasmin,just let the Camino wash over you and show you it's sights and sounds as surprises rather than from a prelisted set of targets.You do not need anything other than your feet,your eyes and your ears to find the magic of the Camino.May your God guide your footsteps and keep you safe.

I agree with that up to a point. There are things on the Camino I would have missed if someone hadn't told me about them, and I would have been very disappointed.

I got a similar response when I asked a similar question. I get aggravated with it. We are not always looking to preplan a "set of targets" however if all I do is walk the exact trail then I will miss, yes miss, many great and wonderful opportunities that others that have gone before me are aware of. I get the camino experience but I also travel to see and do things along the way. If you come to where I live and I tell you to just stick to the highway and let the beauty of the island wash over you you are going to miss out on a great deal of amazing opportunities. People ask because we actually want to know.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I got a similar response when I asked a similar question. I get aggravated with it. We are not always looking to preplan a "set of targets" however if all I do is walk the exact trail then I will miss, yes miss, many great and wonderful opportunities that others that have gone before me are aware of. I get the camino experience but I also travel to see and do things along the way. If you come to where I live and I tell you to just stick to the highway and let the beauty of the island wash over you you are going to miss out on a great deal of amazing opportunities. People ask because we actually want to know.
Sorry if I upset you,you seem annoyed.I hope you enjoy your Camino next month.God Bless.

Sorry if I upset you,you seem annoyed.I hope you enjoy your Camino next month.God Bless.
No, not upset in the least. Annoyed, yes. It's not just this post, its many. When some one has a legitimate question and the answers of "just let the Camino lead" come flooding in ... its not helpful.

No, not upset in the least. Annoyed, yes. It's not just this post, its many. When some one has a legitimate question and the answers of "just let the Camino lead" come flooding in ... its not helpful.
Causing annoyance or being unhelpful has never been my intention and I'm sorry you see it as such.I would rather withdraw than repeat.Bye all.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Maybe once you have walked you will see where those giving you an answer you don't like are coming from. The Camino is a very different experiece than a regular, and letting go is part of it. Just follow arrows to ermitas, chapels, in larger towns go to the tourism office and get a map. Guides also tell you about the areas you will walk by. I am always floored people walk by gems because they requore a 100 m. detour, but that's different from having a list of to-dos.

I was abdolutely entranced by the Cathedral in Burgos. For me it was worth the trip to Spain on its own.
Another highlight, also in Burgos, was the Museum of Human Evolution.
Regds
Gerard

In León go visit the basilica de San Isadoro - holy grail reference from previous poster - and beautifully preserved frescoes in the cloisters. see the Gaudi buildings in both Leon and Astorga. Do NOT miss the chocolate museum in Astorga! Spend a day in the stained glass of Leon's cathedral. Ponferrada Knights Templar castle and illuminated manuscripts. In Villafranca del bierzo I stayed in the most amazing luxury at las Donas and a MOST excellent breakfast is included. OCebreiro had an amazing time in a touristy way and the BEST caldo gallegos ! nooks and crannies all along your path - enjoy!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I was abdolutely entranced by the Cathedral in Burgos. For me it was worth the trip to Spain on its own.
Another highlight, also in Burgos, was the Museum of Human Evolution.
Regds
Gerard
And then again you get an idiot like me who doesn't read the post properly before jumping in with an unhelpful reply.
My suggestions were for sights in Burgos when you clearly state you are starting in Leon.
My apologies.

Last edited:
The path from Leon to Molinaseca is probably the part of el Camino that I like the most (not underestimating others, I mean) so I’ll try give you some other highlights of that part in case they’re useful:

-Leon: Apart from the Cathedral , try to visit the wonderful “Panteon de los Reyes” at San Isidoro Church. Wonderful medieval paintings in the walls, with a not common medieval calendar painted there.

-Leon: The Façade of the Parador De San Marcos, which was constructed as a Pilgrim’s Hospital. Also the statue of the resting pilgrim, just in front of it.

-As you leave Leon there’s a small hill in which there are some houses that look like a Hobbitt town. Very nice to see (They even have a bar called “Tierra Media”- “Middle Earth”)

-The façade of the Santuario De La Virgen del Camino. Modern but very interesting.

-The bridge at Puente de Orbigo. If you can, go down to the esplanade to see it from below.

- Stop to rest at the Crucero de Santo Toribio, at the entrance of Astorga. Nice views of the city and of the mountain you’ll have to climb next days..

- At Astorga don’t miss the cathedral and the Gaudi’s Palace. In the Gaudi’s Palace is the Camino Museum, well worth to visit. It contains the original of the Cruz de Ferro, that you’ll see in two days more.

- Leaving Astorga you have the option to see Castrillo de los Polvazares, a beautiful town tipical of the area. It’s a small detour but it deserves. From Castrillo you can rejoin easily the official path.

- Bar Cowboy at El Ganso. Good place to rest and…different.

-When you’re reaching Rabanal you’ll cross a small forest. There’s a fence to your right full of small wooden crosses made by pilgrims like you with the small branches they find on the spot. Make and leave your’s, if you feel like.

- I love the sights from Foncebadón. Nice place to sleep too. And has a wonderful and amazing medieval restaurant (not very expensive) called “La taberna de Gaia”. In it’s back, you can see the first “Palloza” you’ll find (Pallozas are traditional Galician circular stone buildings)

-As you leave Foncebadon to reach the Cruz de Ferro, turn back to have magnificent views of the mountain you have climbed since you left Astorga.

- First sights of La Cruz de Ferro as you climb from Foncebadon. You can spot it almost one kilometer ahead, standing tall over the tree tops. Wonderful Picture.

- Don’t forget your stone to leave at the Cruz de Ferro. Read something about that tradition to understand it. It’s a very touching place (if you don’t find it full of tourist’s buses)

-Stop and spend some time at the Refugio de Manjarín, as you leave the Cruz de Ferro. A nice place to see.

- The most outstanding views can be seen as you finish the climb after Manjarin and begin to enter the Bierzo region, approaching Ponferrada. You're almost one kilometer above the valleys you see below..

- As you leave El Acebo, in your descent to Molinaseca, you’ll find a beautiful memorial to a pilgrim called Heinrich Krausse, who died here. It’s a bike that seems to go direct to heaven. Nice and touching.

- Enjoy the views in the descent to Molinaseca, which by the way is one of the most beautiful towns in the whole Camino.

- And in Ponferrada, don’t miss the Templar castle. Big and well preserved.

Hope it helps, I've just had a very pleasent time remembering all those places...
....I wish I was there...

Actually, the audio guide at the Leon cathedral is well worth the money. It explains what is so extraordinary about its construction, the physics of it and how it was saved.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Look out for the wildlife - its wonderful! We saw so many beatiful birds.
I enjoyed the compline at the parish church in Rabanal - worth a visit.
The Gaudi palace in Astorga is also worth the entrance fee.
There was a beautiful church in Cacabelos which the Camino route passes - worth a visit. The curator also gave us directions to a place to stay for the night.
There are many wonderful sights for you to enjoy and also a great number of cafes and bars on yhe way that you should enjoy too.
Buen Camino

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Some of the little stone churches in Galicia are really beautiful. Very simple (no gold leaf!), very old (some of them 9th/10th Century), I found some of these more moving than the grander places with all their intricate stonework and gold (although I loved those too). A few that come to mind right on the Camino are of course O Cebreiro, another just leaving Palas de Rei, one at the top of the hill in Melide, and another I think just on the other side of Melide, where a very enthusiastic young man was standing at the door offering sellos and a plate of cookies and calling to peregrinos to visit the church! I'm sorry I don't remember their names, but there are many others too.

Hello fellow pelgrims!

Buen Camino!

in galicia:
cebreiro cheese in o cebreiro
crepes in fonfria if the crepe lady is there
fried baby trouts anywhere around sarria
magadalene convent in sarria
samos is ok, but i like the walk throgh san xil better
gin tonic on themalecon in sarria
barbadelo church in barbaelo
any ribeira scara wine (reds aren't bad) as you're walking through the region
orujo in portomarin (make sure its the 'moonshine' stuff)
san nicolás church in portomarín
castro at castromaior (worth the short detour)
vilar de donas, a must (detour again)
ant bar and ant stamp at portos
furelos church in furelos
octopus in melide
splurge and stay at least one night in a pazo on the camino
tetilla cheese in arzúa
peregrina beer at the bar in calle
albariño white wine all the way
buen camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
crepes in fonfria if the crepe lady is there
It's wonderful being reminded of all the delights along the Camino. If I recall correctly, Fonfría is a tiny little village. There's the main road running along the front of the establishments and another one along the back of the establishments, the latter with delightful evidence of cows. If you are looking for the crepe lady, she appeared to us along this back road. I mention this because later we ran into someone who was disappointed not to have seen the crepe lady; it turned out this someone had gone through Fonfría on the 'front' road. The crepes are 'donativo' and if you are not quick with your offering, you will be reminded! :)

So, this thread was about the super incredible places not to be missed and we have a list of 20, 40, 60+ places? Sounds like one might be better off just walking and making one's own discoveries as those of us listing have done to come up,with these suggestions.

OMG!!! Crepe lady in Fonfria - totally forgot that gem!! Thank you for that reminder!! Not to be missed

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Cathedral and bishops palace in Astorga, monastery in Sarria, church in Portomarin, San Marco Albergue in Palai de Rei and church next door, small village outside of Melide with a church on the right. I just can't remember the name. It has a crucifix with one of Jesus' arms hanging at his side. Very moving.
Have a wonderful journey and please share your discoveries with us when you return.
Buen Camino

Hello fellow pelgrims!

Buen Camino!

Hi Yasmin,

Unfortunately I cannot give you any advice on what to see or things to do on the way,sorry. Just wanted to say that I will be starting my Camino from Leon to Santiago 1st of September too. Well I actually arrive to Leon on 1st of September so will be leaving the next morning. :) But we still might meet each other.

Buen Camino!

Hello fellow pelgrims!

Buen Camino!

How to fill your time:

There is the matter of walking 20 - 30 km per day.

Eating

and lets not underestimate the simple joy of sleeping

Leon to Santiago ... things to experience:

The wind from the mountains as you leave Astorga

The cold at cruz de ferro

The snow at O Cebreiro

The rain in Galicia, followed by the sun, followed by the rain ... etc

The dizzy heights on the bridge into Portomarin

The taste of a bocadillo frances at Palas de Rei

The whiff of truck exhaust at Pedrouzo

The view of the cathedral as you approach Santiago

The skirl of the pipes as you approach the cathedral

The sense at the end ... if thats all there is then lets keep walking

Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello fellow pelgrims!

Buen Camino!
Shower, change clothes, wash clothes, nap, eat, blog, make new friends, meet old friends, sleep, listen to people snore and try to go back to sleep, wake up, and repeat with variations. Otherwise follow your heart and follow your feet. Ask about the hidden treasures that are out there.
When walking the English route a few years ago we were invited to visit a private by invitation only art school. While walking the Portuguese route last year we walking into a town getting ready for a festival. It was great. It's your camino. Go have fun, rediscover you faith, or yourself. Buen Camino

Happy Trails

Cathedral and bishops palace in Astorga, monastery in Sarria, church in Portomarin, San Marco Albergue in Palai de Rei and church next door, small village outside of Melide with a church on the right. I just can't remember the name. It has a crucifix with one of Jesus' arms hanging at his side. Very moving.
Have a wonderful journey and please share your discoveries with us when you return.
Buen Camino
That would be Furelos - amazing crucifix!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back