• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Think about this...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
How we handle our fears will determine where we go with the rest of our lives. - Judy Blume, author
I don't see this as a useful truism for me. The course of my life has been determined by a lot of luck and circumstances, as well as how I handle my loves, hopes, opportunities, misfortunes, fortunes, etc. Fears are there, too, I suppose, but they definitely don't predominate.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I’m thinking for me this is quite true. The meaning maybe to say most people make many life decisions based on some form of fear. Basically we may not reach our full potential because we allow fear to rule our decision making process ...I am guilty of this sometimes..but I get braver and more enlightened every day😊

Learning to recognize what the fear is, maybe this is the wisdom which allows me to grow stronger every day.

Some others are Fearless- they maybe are the very enlightened among us

From "Firefly"
A bloody excerpt.."you are what you do when it counts"
The only critic is the voice in our own head, which is echoing what our conscience is saying.
Shame,guilt anger and pride will surely follow unless there is the sociopathic bent to where nothing matters and this subject is moot.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
We have nothing to fear but fear itself - FDR
We have met the enemy and he is us - Walt Kelly
A lighthouse in a desert, brilliant but useless - Morgan Pyne (on Twitter)
😃
The original statement was "like a lighthouse in a bog" which is in use here since the '60's but I was afraid not many people would know what a bog is. Never heard of Morgan Pyne.

The original statement was "like a lighthouse in a bog" which is in use here since the '60's but I was afraid not many people would know what a bog is. Never heard of Morgan Pyne.
A bog is where The Hound of Baskerville lives, right?
Of course not - I have no idea who Morgan Pyne is either...but he has the quip on one of his Twitter posts :rolleyes:

Of course not - I have no idea who Morgan Pyne is either...but he has the quip on one of his Twitter posts :rolleyes:

A bog is where you find peat (not Pete 😁 ) where we cut turf for the fire, found in Ireland, Scotland and other parts of Europe, and many other parts of the world too I'm sure, (just covering myself here)

Ask FDR about this!!!:) (For those international pilgrim family members who may not be as familiar with American Presidents - Franklin D. Roosevelt)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
In NZ "the bog" it is a alternate name for the toilet (bathroom for North Americans).

I was having visions of this blinding light swinging around every 30 seconds as I was trying to sit quietly and read my newspaper! 🦄💐

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
F.E.A.R. is an acronym for False Evidence Appearing Real
To put things more seriously, Fear is real, and is there to keep us alive. The important thing is to distinguish between what we should be fearful of and take appropriate steps (giant nest of wasps in the back yard - they were definitely not my imagination) versus what we shouldn't fear (mouse in the cupboard - really its only a mouse).

“The only constant in life is change!”

No need to fear change,
life will change whatever we do.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
How we handle our fears will determine where we go with the rest of our lives. - Judy Blume, author

You never thought you'd be alone
This far down the line
And I know what's been on your mind
You're afraid it's all been wasted time

The Eagles

A selection of Camino Jewellery
One of the biggest dangers that we have in Canada right now is the number of people (in Alberta, largely aged between 20 and 29) who are not afraid of COVID-19, so see no point in taking precautions against it. I agree with the Judy Blume quote about how we handle our fears, but the current danger is both to and from those who do not fear or refuse to acknowledge fear, and, having acknowledged it, to take sensible precautions.

but the current danger is both to and from those who do not fear or refuse to acknowledge fear, and, having acknowledged it, to take sensible precautions.
I would change your wording to "who do not fear or refuse to acknowledge the danger"

I think that one can acknowledge the danger of the Coronavirus without being overly fearful of it.

One of the biggest dangers that we have in Canada right now is the number of people (in Alberta, largely aged between 20 and 29) who are not afraid of COVID-19, so see no point in taking precautions against it. I agree with the Judy Blume quote about how we handle our fears, but the current danger is both to and from those who do not fear or refuse to acknowledge fear, and, having acknowledged it, to take sensible precautions.
I read yesterday that Covid seems to be causing hair loss in many people - I think people would be more afraid of losing their hair than of getting sick. It might make them more likely to take precautions.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I would change your wording to "who do not fear or refuse to acknowledge the danger"

I think that one can acknowledge the danger of the Coronavirus without being overly fearful of it.
Well, I take fear to be a vital warning system for danger, although one cannot totally rely on it. I am afraid of heights, and of spiders, although I have known very little danger from either in my life. But I was somewhat surprised to find myself unphased by the close presence of a large bear on my last wilderness hike. I am reluctant to rely on the ability to recognise danger of the young people who are making the infection statistics rise in my province right now, and I would prefer that they return to the fear which kept them following safety precautions in the early stages of the pandemic. It is hard to continue to act as if one were in constant danger when all seems ordinary around us and we are no longer feeling afraid.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
This does not seem like a good message to help people cope with fears. Fear is an important emotion and should be respected and understood, not automatically denied!

Indeed, you are right. I guess this commonly quoted acronym is intended more for people who are irrationally fearful of things...

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
Hi there Can anyone tell me where on the Camino Frances there is a mural on a wall depicting “the three wise men”. I’ve admired it on several occasions, over the years, but I can’t remember where...
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Hoping someone will have some new ideas for me! I always bring a box to Spain to mail to my friends in Madrid. It has for years had the following items — boxes of Vanilla Chai tea bags, Dentyne...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back