• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Think Portuguese Coastal this Fall

Jami Gray

Camino <3
Time of past OR future Camino
I’m considering walking the camino Portuguese Coastal way this fall (August/September). most economical rout to get from Indiana or Chicago to ? i know rome2rio.com, i just thought perhaps someone had already done some research! #caminointheblood

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Can't help you on the economic side Porto/Lisboa are not high traffic destinations from America. You will probably find that flying into Madrid/Seville may save some money but arriving to either destination will require much time changing buses or trains and frustration to finally arrive. On the coastal route beware!!! Come luchtime in just about every coastal village you pass there will be a small restaurant or even just a little old avó by the path as you pass through with a charcoal grill and the freshest sardines you ever ate attracting not only pilgrims but any and all who walk by, the smell is enchanting, the taste is marvelous, and the green wine perfect - it will ruin your walking itinerary for sure!

Mods - would it be possible to move this one over to the Portuguese Camino sections? Thanks

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Jami - I'm walking from Porto to Oia in late August. I've got fare alerts set on Hipmunk from ATL to OPO, and have no doubt they'll go down to a point I'm comfortable with ($750-800). Actually, last time I went from Tallahassee (closer for me than ATL) to Santiago for $750. My point is, set fare alerts for Chicago and Indy, and keep an eye on them. I don't anticipate the prices to go down until June or July. Last time I waited several months and finally got my ticket in late July for an October 13th departure. Patience. :)

Jami, I am coming from Indiana and planning to walk Lisbon to Santiago late September thru most of October, with segments on the coastal route. The best fares I've found (using google flights and other searches) are from Boston to Lisbon, with several choices at around $500 round trip. Still figuring out how to get to Boston. (Apologies if this thread should have been moved to another spot, as Saint Mike II requested!)

I’m considering walking the camino Portuguese Coastal way this fall (August/September). most economical rout to get from Indiana or Chicago to ? i know rome2rio.com, i just thought perhaps someone had already done some research! #caminointheblood

I notice someone mentioned going from Boston - good idea. Lots of Portuguese have settled in the Boston area so there are likely to be good flights. TAP is the Portuguese airline and might have a special that would work for you. So maybe Chicago-Boston-Lisbon?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I see the above threads are from last year. We just booked to go mid Sept 2019. TAP had flights from Toronto to Porto for under $CAD 600 which would be pretty cheap in $US! You just have to get to Toronto! TAP, Air Canada and Air Transat (the latter two are Canadian airlines) fly direct to Porto from Toronto. In the end we got Air Canada flights for about $CAD 800 or about $US 600.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi fellow pilgrims! I have walked 1450km over several years on the Camino Frances alone, without planning much. This year is going to be very different! I have convinced my mom to come with me. I...
I’m seeing a lot of discussion on FB about the route out of Vigo. People are recommending taking a new bike path that starts at the Ascensor Halo and ends at Chapela because the official route is...
Hi, arrived in Porto today starting the coastal camino on Friday! I just found out the hostel I am staying at does not allow pack pick up. Im walking to vila cha 1st day and physically I cannot...
So I’d been given to understand in my pre-Camino research that one could just ask for a copo de agua (glass of water) which is basically tap water on the house. Since arriving in Portugal a few...
Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back