• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Thinking about a backpacking quilt...

jrm

Hi all,

Instead of buying a sleeping bag (of which I have a few), I'm thinking of picking up a backpacking quilt. I've found a place that offers different temperature ratings and has quite a few options for size and weight. I'm thinking that something in the 40 degree range would be most flexible for sleeping indoors (and outdoors if I had to)... and the quilts come in a few ounces under a pound. So, that's nice.

However, quilts are generally used like a blanket and rely on the sleeper using a pad of some sort under them. I won't be taking a sleeping pad on the Frances, so that may mean sleeping directly on the albergue mattress without a barrier while laying the quilt over me. I'm hoping the quilt is wide enough to wrap around me completely, but realize it may not unless I order something much wider. So.. two questions:

1.Does anyone here use a backpacking quilt rather than a sleeping bag?
2. Do the albergues generally provide somekind of top-sheet to the mattresses?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hello,
A couple of years ago I cut the zipper and hood off my down sleeping bag and have used it as a quilt ever since.
I love it!

There IS a sheet under you in most albergues, but many pilgrims have slept on it - they are not washed each day.
I'd suggest a piece of silk or other featherweight fabric beneath you if you're worried.
Fact is, most people have had a shower before they get into bed.. not all, but most.
Some places will offer you a paper sheet.

When I was on the Camino Frances, most Albergues and Refugios had switched to the disposable paper sheets, so I was given a little plastic bag with a "sheet" and "pillow case" when I was given a bed. YMMV especially if you stay not in the Xunta's or more standard pilgrim accommodations, but the sheets we got were not used before.

I too am considering a quilt to pair with my liner, because I do not like to get cold, but I also want the flexibility of using or not using it. My sleeping bag is really, all in nice and warm, but if the weather is summer Camino weather... I was uncomfortable most nights unless I unzipped the whole thing!

I will be researching quilts, so far my favorite is from Therm-a-Rest: http://www.rei.com/product/867239/therm-a-rest-auriga-down-blanket expensive but nice!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
A sleeping bag gives you both options - unzipped - a quilt, zipped up a bag. A quilt only gives you one. Just food for thought, SY

When I was on the Camino Frances, most Albergues and Refugios had switched to the disposable paper sheets, so I was given a little plastic bag with a "sheet" and "pillow case" when I was given a bed. YMMV especially if you stay not in the Xunta's or more standard pilgrim accommodations, but the sheets we got were not used before.

I too am considering a quilt to pair with my liner, because I do not like to get cold, but I also want the flexibility of using or not using it. My sleeping bag is really, all in nice and warm, but if the weather is summer Camino weather... I was uncomfortable most nights unless I unzipped the whole thing!

I will be researching quilts, so far my favorite is from Therm-a-Rest: http://www.rei.com/product/867239/therm-a-rest-auriga-down-blanket expensive but nice!

nice! That looks like a pretty sweet quilt. If you're looking at quilts, I've been checking out this one: http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/revelation/

They have other options as well, but I'm pretty stoked that you can get something below a pound! Thanks for the headsup on the sheets and such. I'm not sure where we'll be staying... heck, I'm not even sure what the difference is between a Xunta and more standard pilgrim accommodations. More research is in order ;) But it does seem that a quilt will give me the best of all worlds if I can figure it out.

A sleeping bag gives you both options - unzipped - a quilt, zipped up a bag. A quilt only gives you one. Just food for thought, SY

True, however, I've decided that I need my sleeping situation to be as light as possible in order to make some room for some heavy pack additions. I was looking at a bag that weighed in under a pound, but it only has a 1/3rd length zipper in order to save weight. So, at that weight I lose the ability to fully open my sleeping bag to vent... my quest for ultralight is definitely putting me in a bind ;)

Have you looked at the Sea to Summit Traveler? It's 4-1/2 oz more than the Auriga, but quite a bit less expensive:

http://www.rei.com/product/866775/sea-to-summit-traveller-tr-i-sleeping-bag#tab-specs

EDIT Forgot to mention that it has a full side zipper on one side and drawstring bottom, so lots of ways to open it up. Oh, and I was looking at the fill weight of the Auriga, not the total weight, so this is lighter, too.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Have you looked at the Sea to Summit Traveler? It's 4-1/2 oz more than the Auriga, but quite a bit less expensive:

http://www.rei.com/product/866775/sea-to-summit-traveller-tr-i-sleeping-bag#tab-specs

EDIT Forgot to mention that it has a full side zipper on one side and drawstring bottom, so lots of ways to open it up. Oh, and I was looking at the fill weight of the Auriga, not the total weight, so this is lighter, too.

I had seen the traveler, which looked pretty nice. Its on the short list!

I've got a great very lightweight quilt from Enlightened equiptment. I love it. If its "cold" i can zip the toebox and button up the rest to the top and use it like an actual sleepinbag and if its to warm to use like a sleepingbag it folds out completely to a very large blanket. I really love the use of a quilt in the albergues. I even love the quilt more then i love my lightweigt down mummy sleepingbag, and i really love that sleepingbag....

I've got a great very lightweight quilt from Enlightened equiptment. I love it. If its "cold" i can zip the toebox and button up the rest to the top and use it like an actual sleepinbag and if its to warm to use like a sleepingbag it folds out completely to a very large blanket. I really love the use of a quilt in the albergues. I even love the quilt more then i love my lightweigt down mummy sleepingbag, and i really love that sleepingbag....

Awesome. Which one do you have dutch? Do you find that even though the quilt is basically a "backless sleeping bag", you can still wrap up in it pretty good?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi all,

Instead of buying a sleeping bag (of which I have a few), I'm thinking of picking up a backpacking quilt. I've found a place that offers different temperature ratings and has quite a few options for size and weight. I'm thinking that something in the 40 degree range would be most flexible for sleeping indoors (and outdoors if I had to)... and the quilts come in a few ounces under a pound. So, that's nice.

However, quilts are generally used like a blanket and rely on the sleeper using a pad of some sort under them. I won't be taking a sleeping pad on the Frances, so that may mean sleeping directly on the albergue mattress without a barrier while laying the quilt over me. I'm hoping the quilt is wide enough to wrap around me completely, but realize it may not unless I order something much wider. So.. two questions:

I didn't use a quilt, the Snugpak Jungle Blanket might work for you.

Albergue mattresses are usually covered with a fitted cover, some albergues will hand you a disposable fitted cover.

Awesome. Which one do you have dutch? Do you find that even though the quilt is basically a "backless sleeping bag", you can still wrap up in it pretty good?
I'm just gonna cut and past from my order.
Revelation Pro Down Type: 900 HyperDry Goose Down, Temperature: 50°F, Length: Long, Width: Wide

And i had them add a few small custom made wishes to it, but in basic thats the one i have.
It is really big enough to wrap myself up in just fine. On the website you can see the inch sizes that go along with the terms "short, regular long" ect.
I was first tempted to go down one size (weightwise) on length and width, but i had the same 'issue" you just asked me, can i wrap myself into it, so just to be sure i upped a size on lenght and width without any regrets. I love it.

I didn't use a quilt, the Snugpak Jungle Blanket might work for you.

Albergue mattresses are usually covered with a fitted cover, some albergues will hand you a disposable fitted cover.

Hmm, this was not my experience when I walked the CF in Sept this year from SJPP to Santiago. First albergue that I stayed at - Larosana overflow - had blue plastic mattress covers and NO sheets of any kind. Same at several other places too. First time I came across a disposable sheet was at Leon. Fortunately I had a silk sleeping bag liner and a large silk scarf which I used as a pillow case. Even so, I still managed to slip off the liner and the plastic was very unpleasant to sleep on top of.

Next time I walk, I would love to be prepared and already have my own disposable sheet and pillow. They are very light and last for several nights. Even when there were sheets on the bed, I found them slightly distasteful as I never knew how clean they were. Same with the blankets, which was why I used my own sleeping bag when it was cooler.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hmm, this was not my experience when I walked the CF in Sept this year from SJPP to Santiago. First albergue that I stayed at - Larosana overflow - had blue plastic mattress covers and NO sheets of any kind. Same at several other places too. First time I came across a disposable sheet was at Leon. Fortunately I had a silk sleeping bag liner and a large silk scarf which I used as a pillow case. Even so, I still managed to slip off the liner and the plastic was very unpleasant to sleep on top of.

Next time I walk, I would love to be prepared and already have my own disposable sheet and pillow. They are very light and last for several nights. Even when there were sheets on the bed, I found them slightly distasteful as I never knew how clean they were. Same with the blankets, which was why I used my own sleeping bag when it was cooler.

Sometimes they hand 'm out when checking in, sometimes you have to ask for it, sometimes you have to pay for it, sometimes they just dont have 'm, but indeed, to say that the disposable sheet and pillowcase is a standard in every albergue, no.

Thanks. I think I might give a quilt a shot. I'm gonna take some measurements so I know what i'm getting into, but it sounds like a very light/flexible option for me!

Thanks. I think I might give a quilt a shot. I'm gonna take some measurements so I know what i'm getting into, but it sounds like a very light/flexible option for me!
Try it out at home on a bare mattress and you will soon know if it is comfortable for you. That's the way I learned that silk liners, so popular wih many, just don't do it for me. I switched to a Columbia Omni sleep sak and loved it. It's a very personal choice and you sure don't want to learn the hard way that it was the wrong one for you.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Has anyone used the Sea to Summit Traveler bag? It looks great. Comes with a compression bag and packs up very small.

I just ordered an Enlighted Equipment quilt, but for backpacking the John Muir Trail this year. For walking the Camino this last summer (July to August), it would have been needless weight. I just took a Coolmax sleeping bag liner (sprayed with Permethrin), and half the nights, slept on top of the liner because even that was too hot (pilgrims stacked in bunk beds generate lots of body heat in small stuffy rooms with inadequate ventilation). Only cold one night (Roncevalles, because they have no blankets).

Hi all,

Hi
We have a backpacking quilt from a company called jacks r us. We use it on top of our sleeping bags while camping in very cold weather, it will cover us both. It also has velcro fastening along the side and bottom so can be used as a sleeping bag too. It is very light and lovely and warm.
All the best Nic

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.