• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Thinking about starting in Astorga...

Salida1048

Hi there, first time asking questions...this will be my fourth Camino, two on this route, one up from Sevilla, I need some new input. Please...
I'm hoping to talk a friend into joining me, we'll only be able to use 'around' two weeks of time on this camino, that understood I'm thinking we'll start in Astorga. The first day is fine, I don't think we'll get too beat up walking to Rabanal, but that next day, the way it is perscribed in most of the write ups, is probably just too many k's, I think it was something like thirty some odd kilometers to Ponferrada, and honestly, I can't recall that place !?
So, my question, atleast this day, is does anyone know of a town in between these two, Rabanal and Ponferrada, where there is either a refuge, or hotel ? I mean something like actually 'in between', meaning I wouldn't want to start off in Rabanal, walk four miles, then stop. I'd like to walk perhaps twelve miles or such. I realize this isn't up to me, but for the first week it would be nice to allow our legs to get in tune.
Input Please.
Thanks, Happy New Years, Harry

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hello Harry,

Welcome to the forum and Happy New Year!

I walked the Camino Francés in both 2007 and 2008. From Rabanal you can stay in O Acebo which is perhaps not quite as far as you would like( about 17 km), but the approach to it it is an arduous section of the Camino...one of the most difficult in my opinion. There are 3 or four places there, but I recommend the Albergue Paroquial - at the end of the town on the left - where we were treated to complementary paella (not the norm, just the norm for the hospitalero!), saw the most beautiful sunset and got to see "O Acebo". It was a great stop.

If not there, you can go on a bit more (20km) to Riegos de Ambrós which also has a nice albergue and a good restaurant with a pilgrim menu. The setting around the church is gorgeous and the town is preciosa. The next town is Molinaseca... so take your pick!

Buen Camino,

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Try planning your walk using the Godesalco website planner.

http://www.godesalco.com/plan

* How to use the http://www.godesalco.com/plan website to plan your daily schedule:
Once connected to the site (you might have to click on English) click on the route you are doing – Camino de Santiago for the Camino Frances.
Scroll down and click on the circle ◙ to the left of the town where you are starting, eg: Astorga
Scroll down to the town where you will finish, Santiago, and click on the right circle. ◙
You can write your name in the space provided at the bottom of the page.
Then click on SEND THIS FORM.
In the new page, the mileage between each village and town will be displayed. Click on each place where you would like to stay. If you are planning on walking 20km per day, click on the town closest to the 20km distance displayed to the left of the town. Eg: Astorga is ticked. Click on Rabanal del Camino and 20,4km will be displayed.
Then click on Molinaseca and 24.8km will be displayed.
Continue choosing your overnight stops until you have reached Santiago.
Enter the date you will start your pilgrimage in the space provided.
Click on SEND THIS FORM The next window will offer you different documents to download with your daily schedule, profile of the route etc.
I always prefer a spreadsheet with all the info printed on it: Spreadsheet with your stages plan and data. It will even give you sunrise and sunset as well as lunar illumination.

I did a quick plan and walking under 25km each day gave a 12 day itinerary. You should manage comfortably with 2 weeks.
Good luck with your plans.

If you go to the top of the page just under the map and look at "pictures from the various stages here" and then look at stage 23 perhaps you will be reminded of that part of the camino. I can certainly recommend Molinaseca but that may be a little too far for your second day.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
you Pilgrims are doing me justice, know that I certainly appreciate all of this input.
Now, Fingers Crossed that I can get my friend to walk with me...
So let me work on that as well as some of the other longer stages in this section, although my memory serves me that once in Galithia, there's so much to enjoy the time flies...
Cheers, and the Happiest and Healthy New Years, Harry
Thanks !!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi, Harry.

After Rabanal, there's albergues in Foncebadon. two or three on summer, just one (the private one) in winter. Then (after Manjarin) a good place to stop in El Acebo. And of course, Molinaseca, with the two albergues, the public and the private, ran both by Alfredo. So, many options.

Several options, so you can choose your best.

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.