• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Thinking about walking Porto - Santiago this Dec/Jan 2019

Alan

Hi All!

I am a veteran pilgrim, however I've never walked anywhere in winter.

I am tempted to walk from Porto starting around 12/28/19 and walking - slowly at first - towards Santiago. I would likely need very short days (15km?) for the first two or three days of walking.

Would anyone know what type of weather I should expect at this time of year?

Also, would there be many albergues or hostels/pensiones along the Camin(h)o open during this time? I understand that the period just after Christmas through early January is likely the least populated time to visit the Camino.

Thank you for your help!
Alan

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I walked at beginning of January last year on coastal to caminha then along river to Valenca and on to sdec. I stayed albergues and a fair number of them were open though there was variety in heating and hot water. But some other accommodation was closed for the season. Gronze was useful to find what was open all year though there are no guarantees https://www.gronze.com/camino-portugues-costa#localidad-40
I got lucky with the weather with settled weather of sunshine but cold at night and ice/frost in morning But rain and wind are likely too.
As for a few short days you could walk out the river from Porto to matosinhos, then LaBruge (think albergue is open all year) then onto vila do conde or povoa-de-varzim.

Hi All!

I am a veteran pilgrim, however I've never walked anywhere in winter.

I am tempted to walk from Porto starting around 12/28/19 and walking - slowly at first - towards Santiago. I would likely need very short days (15km?) for the first two or three days of walking.

Also, would there be many albergues or hostels/pensiones along the Camin(h)o open during this time? I understand that the period just after Christmas through early January is likely the least populated time to visit the Camino.

Thank you for your help!
Alan
Hello bAlan,
I walked the Portuguese in Jan. 2011. No oproblems, 1 day of rain, no trouble finding albergues except for 1 monastery closed. a beautiful walk, not hard. enjoy. Ann

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I walked the Coastal in the second half of Jan this year. Not many people on the route, between 3 and 6 on a given stage for us. Central way might have more people and more infrastructure in winter as is more popuar. Weather was a mix. Great experience overall. I posted about it here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...r-those-who-consider-walking-in-winter.65099/ Bom Caminho! :)

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back