• Update: The images and attachemnets are now back, we are generating new thumbnails.... (this takes time with 20 years of photos). I know the notification icon gives an error. That error should be gone within an hour or two. Sorry again! Ivar
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Thinking of a 'crowded-summer-camino-frances-backup-plan'

flippinkittin

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino francés, verano 2017
Hi!

So my plan is to walk from Oloron to SJPP, and then walk the camino frances. I am a bit concerned that the CF will be crowded and hot. So, for both of those reasons I was thinking that the camino norte might be a nice change of pace.

Any thoughts on the weather comparing the two regions? Number of peregrinos? Thanks!

-Katrina

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Depends on when you plan to walk. Avoid the Norte in August because there are not enough albergues to cope with the numbers, unless there has been a significant increase in the past few years.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
There were 17, 289 Compostelas issued last year to pilgrims on the Camino del Norte, about the same number as the last Holy Year in 2010. There were 176,075 for the Camino Frances, about 13,000 fewer than 2010. The infrastructure is adequate on the CF, but the CdN has not grown to accommodate the increasing numbers. The average growth rate on the CdN has been 12% the last few years.

If April 2017 is any indicator for the summer, crowds will be up on both.

As to the weather, it can be hot on both. Pick the one on which you think you will have the most fun. Crowds and weather will not be significantly different.

I read somewhere that the cost is significantly higher on the Norte, with less cafes/markets to buy food and/or supplies.

Thoughts about this?

Also, does anyone know whether is looks like a dry May/June this year?

Gracias!
Sue

Oloron to SJPP is great! Some tough stages, also.
Uhm....a note: I am a very slow walker, and in the Albergue Municipal at Mauleon I got the last bed. As far as I know, there are not reservations there.
Two pilgrims who arrived later had many problems to find a place, even hostals were completo. This was in late September.
Buen camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
As you plan to start in Oloron would suggest to walk up to Col du Somport and continue on the Camino Aragones to Puente de la Reina where you will join the Camino Frances . Fantastic route !
IMHO being this your first camino the Frances would be a better option than Camino del Norte....

I read somewhere that the cost is significantly higher on the Norte, with less cafes/markets to buy food and/or supplies.

Thoughts about this?

Also, does anyone know whether is looks like a dry May/June this year?

Gracias!
Sue
Sue, costs on the Norte can be higher because there are fewer Albergues and the coast is a popular holiday destination for Spaniards and other European nations. The pilgrim dedicated infrastructure does not exist in the way that it does along the Frances but people live there and pilgrims pass through. The local population still depend on their markets and tiendas and bars and cafes. The Norte passes through quite a few significant cities, industrial centres and significant fishing ports - probably more than the classic CF route (particularly when it comes to fishing ports :p). You will not find quite so many 'menu peregrinos' but many will suggest that that is no bad thing.

The weather? Ha; who knows. It has been a very dry winter for much of Maritime Europe. We are into near drought conditions in the UK. Galicia has severe drought conditions. There are forest fires in Asturias. Next month it might p*ss down. Nobody knows and even the professionals can only look at their climate models and scratch their heads. Take an umbrella - they make great sun-shades ;)

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Depends on when you plan to walk. Avoid the Norte in August because there are not enough albergues to cope with the numbers, unless there has been a significant increase in the past few years.
Well I walked in August last year and had absolutely no problem

Well I walked in August last year and had absolutely no problem
I am hoping to do at least part of it from second week in May and have been looking at the advice posted, my last venture on the Camino Portugues in 2013 sounds similar, nowhere near the amount of cafes or albergues, however, what we found were excellent and the people were the most generous and welcoming even though many of them had very little. The Camino Frances sounds too busy these days...

Most read last week in this forum

Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back