• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Thinking of an alternate ending on Invierno after starting on Portuguese at Coimbrá

F

Former member 91017

I leave for Portugal in just under 3 weeks, and I have 25 days in which to make it to SdC and then back to Lisbon to fly home. I suppose that gives me 23 days of walking time.

If the weather turns sour when I reach Tui, I am thinking of heading by bus or train up to Ponferrada to walk the Invierno from there, but I'm not sure I have enough time...

Suggestions from more experienced walkers about this idea?

I've walked the CF twice, but this is my first Portuguese walk, and I'm headed out in the "off season", hoping to have some flexible and viable alternates in case of really crap weather.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The train to Ponderrada stops in Monforte de Lemos as well if you are short of days to finish from Ponferrada.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Monforte de Lemos is the “Sarria” equivalent of the Invierno (as Tui is for the Portugués).

Starting from there will give you a compostela and give you a good taste of the Invierno, but you would miss some of the most glorious parts. I know that probably can’t be helped.

There are a couple of suggestions on another thread about which section to “skip” — https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...rtation-along-the-invierno.58387/#post-670816

Where are you planning to start on the Portugués?

Monforte de Lemos is the “Sarria” equivalent of the Invierno (as Tui is for the Portugués).

Starting from there will give you a compostela and give you a good taste of the Invierno, but you would miss some of the most glorious parts. I know that probably can’t be helped.

There are a couple of suggestions on another thread about which section to “skip” — https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...rtation-along-the-invierno.58387/#post-670816

Where are you planning to start on the Portugués?

Thank you. I am starting from Coimbra on the 6th of Nov. I have roughly 3 ideas for how to finish, depending on weather... my optimal walk is Coimbra to Caminha, then up the river to Tui, and north from there to SdC. But if it's warm, I could stay on the coastal all the way up. And if I'm really missing the east-to-west infrastructure and the weather is crappy, then I'll head for the Invierno.
I have to be back in Lisbon by the 28th of Nov. for my flight home in the early morning of the 29th.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If the weather does turn sour then the Camino in the Galicia area which is least likely to be affected by extremes of weather in Autumn/Winter will be the Portugues route , jump to any other route then you will be dealing with higher altitudes, the colder air and the possible snow that comes with it.

If the weather does turn sour then the Camino in the Galicia area which is least likely to be affected by extremes of weather in Autumn/Winter will be the Portugues route , jump to any other route then you will be dealing with higher altitudes, the colder air and the possible snow that comes with it.

I don't mind the colder air and snow so much as I mind driving rain and high winds. For some reason, I am more likely to develop a lung infection in the damp than in the snow. My pack should be versatile enough as my layers change very little from Sept. to April in a world that reaches -40C...

I don't mind the colder air and snow so much as I mind driving rain and high winds. For some reason, I am more likely to develop a lung infection in the damp than in the snow. My pack should be versatile enough as my layers change very little from Sept. to April in a world that reaches -40C...
Hi,
Just a couple of thoughts. I live in Galicia, and I have walked both the Portuguese from Lisbon and the invierno. If the reason you would switch to the invierno is to escape the weather it probably won't work. If is raining from Tui to Santiago chances are it will be raining from Monforte to Santiago. I would go so far as to say the weather could be worse on the invierno. In green Galicia rain is expected everywhere and at all times... Now if you want to see fewer people then that would be a reason to change to the invierno from the Portuguese. That said both walks I love so really you can't go wrong. Good luck!!
Buen camino,
MaryEllen

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back