• For 2024 Pilgrims: ā‚¬50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Thinking of buying Sony DSC-RX100 VI or Canon G5 X Mark II camera

Level Neville

Time of past OR future Camino
walk in 2020
Would like bring my 60D with 10-18 wide & 17-50 F2.8 lens, but begining to feel its impractical. Alternative to buy Sony DSC-RX100 VI or Canon G5 X Mark II camera. I like to get the best quality photos, the nearest I would get with my 60D. Has anyone done any Youtube vidoes of there Camino using either of these compact cameras ? Would appreciate a link.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

ā‚¬83,-
Neville

Iā€™m fascinated by photographic enthusiastsā€™ attention to detail and their ability to make comparisons between complex technology which would leave the non-enthusiast both baffled and reliant on their phone camera.
Iā€™m certain that there will be someone along with an experience-based comment shortly- there would be on anything from geology to space-travel, but might you not get better advice on a photographic forum?

D

Haven't used either of those, but understand your concerns.

I tend to shoot video rather than stills. At work I use Canon XA 30's. And an Olympus 4/3 which is great.

For years I toyed with the idea of a compact like the RX100. (but no good for video as no mic input) In the end, I use my phone! I can't justify carrying the camera.

I run 2 YouTube channels (Business related) and mainly use the XA30 and the EMD5. But I'll often shoot on my phone too. Galaxy S8. I just make sure to use an external mic (Rode SmartLav+) and mini gorilla pod. Both are tiny and weigh hardly anything.

(On Camino I just use the S8, Lav mic and pod)
(Though the video in my signature link is old, and was shot on a Samsung Note 3 with no external mic or pod)

But if you are really into photography, I get it. Both the Sony and the Canon get great reviews.
These guys do good 'detailed' reviews. Don't think they have done the Canon though. So See below.
The Sony:

The Canon:

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Neville

Iā€™m fascinated by photographic enthusiastsā€™ attention to detail and their ability to make comparisons between complex technology which would leave the non-enthusiast both baffled and reliant on their phone camera.
Iā€™m certain that there will be someone along with an experience-based comment shortly- there would be on anything from geology to space-travel, but might you not get better advice on a photographic forum?

D

No No. Not at all :eek:

Like ALL things Camino, camera requirements are somewhat unique :cool:

Being a photographer (Canon shooter) and a three time Camino walker I really would suggest the new IPhone 11Pro. Three lenses, great video and a navigation device.

I have a Canon G5 and love it - there is the ability to use automatic settings, and all the manual possibilites I need. The 20x zoom is great to have too.
It's not the II, though.
On my last camino I have to admit that for the first time I'm enjoying a phone's capabilities more than those of the camera. I have a mid-range Samsung and it takes wonderful photos, with a wide-angle lens that the camera doesn't have.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Would like bring my 60D with 10-18 wide & 17-50 F2.8 lens, but begining to feel its impractical. Alternative to buy Sony DSC-RX100 VI or Canon G5 X Mark II camera. I like to get the best quality photos, the nearest I would get with my 60D. Has anyone done any Youtube vidoes of there Camino using either of these compact cameras ? Would appreciate a link.
Check out EfrĆ©n GĆ³nzalez YouTube channel. He's using some smart tech and good camera gear on his vlog series Camino PortuguĆ©s. I'm sure if you message him he'll let you know what kit he uses, plus you can see the quality by watching his vlogs.

Check out EfrĆ©n GĆ³nzalez YouTube channel. He's using some smart tech and good camera gear on his vlog series Camino PortuguĆ©s. I'm sure if you message him he'll let you know what kit he uses, plus you can see the quality by watching his vlogs.
Efren usually makes a pre-Camino equipment video so it might be all there on his channel already.

Efren usually makes a pre-Camino equipment video so it might be all there on his channel already.
I found this information from one of the videos, from links given in the information page:
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV full frame SLR camera body.
Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L III USM lens
Tiffen 82mm variable ND filter.
Rode VideoMic Pro camera shotgun Condenser mic (but on more recent caminos he's also been using stereo Lavalier mic with Tascam Dr-40X)
Then he has the drone, chargers, tripod, etc. It's a lot of extra weight to carry, plus it's very expensive gear. If it gets wet then it could cause expensive damage to the equipment.
I've seen some great vlogs on YouTube just filmed on mobile phones, not even latest generation phones. Ok, a selfie stick, mini-tripod and some extra stabilisation might be all the extras you need.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). Iā€™m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

ā“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.