• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Thinking of davebugg...

martin1ws

Time of past OR future Camino
2018; (2020); 2021; 2022; 2023
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I had not seen @davebugg’s last post on the forum (I have been a bit distracted lately), so I am glad that you linked to it, @martin1ws. I think that though Dave may have written the most eloquent description of forum burn-out, and though his triggers may be different, he is surely not unique in coming to that point. When I find myself getting close to that line, I take refuge in my beloved PM circle of forum friends with whom I can rant, release, and agonize. Having those very personal connections on an internet forum has been a totally unexpected benefit for me, and a great source of friendship.

So, Dave, if you do decide to come back, know that you have a ready-made circle of friends here who may have gravitated to you because of your amazing encyclopedic knowledge of shoes, boots, and gear generally, but who would love to offer you the support and friendship that spontaneously arises among those who share the camino bond. Buen camino, Laurie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I had not seen @davebugg’s last post on the forum (I have been a bit distracted lately), so I am glad that you linked to it, @martin1ws. I think that though Dave may have written the most eloquent description of forum burn-out, and though his triggers may be different, he is surely not unique in coming to that point. When I find myself getting close to that line, I take refuge in my beloved PM circle of forum friends with whom I can rant, release, and agonize. Having those very personal connections on an internet forum has been a totally unexpected benefit for me, and a great source of friendship.

So, Dave, if you do decide to come back, know that you have a ready-made circle of friends here who may have gravitated to you because of your amazing encyclopedic knowledge of shoes, boots, and gear generally, but who would love to offer you the support and friendship that spontaneously arises among those who share the camino bond. Buen camino, Laurie
Well said Laurie:)

Dave I thought of you often on the Primitivo. Wishing you all the best and hoping that "Baby come back" will somehow resonate thru the airwaves and bring you back to us!! ;-) "Come back...baby comeback!!" (love that Chinacat!!)

In his last post Dave gave us an explanation he didn’t have to.
He shared a deeply personal, humble process of reasoning of what and why, which he didn’t need to

But based on all he said, I believe, if we are truly that circles of friends, we owe it to him to let him process how and for how long he wants. He is doing what is right and healthy for himself

Let HIM decide when he is ready (and I doubt his sabbatical involves reading any of this)

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@davebugg,
Hope you see this brother.

I read your brave, disclosing post.

As one vet (albeit a Brit one) to another. I think I understand.

Do it your way pal and try not to forget that with this forum, you're never alone and pilgrims of old, new and yet to come here, need and will continue to need you here.

Buen (way-forward finding) Camino

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Fully agree with Peregrina 2000.....

Davebugg, I was wondering where you were on your Camino.
I just saw the reference to your last post and read through the whole thing...uhggg.
I'm sorry to hear about that painful experience and it's aftermath.
I'm glad you recognize the intensity of your reaction is something significant...requiring your full attention.
I'm wondering about the relationship of the Camino to your reaction...causation or correlation?
If correlation, it was certainly exacerbated by the Camino due to the expectation that you are surrounded by love, acceptance and understanding in this environment, free to communicate without being judged...and the next moment you are assaulted, threatened, accused and shamed by someone imitating the bullying behavior of the person he is condemning. We live in strange times, I'm sorry you were the recipient of this person's venom. I wish you all the best in working through this

You obviously receive pleasure from giving and teaching and you are so very good at it. This makes me hope you will be back eventually. I think you experienced a bad combination of events and timing that makes it look like a Camino issue when maybe it was just a person issue that happened to occur on the Camino. Try reframing it all to see if maybe this fits.

The caminos are NOT like "normal" life as there are lots of excited people with hightened expectations, burdens or grief to carry, issues to get through/over, petty bigotted views (all nationalities and beliefs/non beliefs) and a fair few weirdos too. BUT there's plenty of love and the best of humanity there too, more than you'll find in most other situations with such a varied congregation. Add copious quantities of vino, a mixture of nationlities and their respective cultural traits, a random tw@t and voila!

Sounds like Davebugg is dealing with this the way he needs to. I wouldn't advise any course of action other than to do what he feels is best for him.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Just came across this today and I read Dave's original post. There is no doubt the Camino especially the Francis is changing and not for the good.
I walked the Primitivo route this September and it brought back all the feelings of why I enjoy all things Camino so much. Then we reached Melide and walked our last couple of days on the Frances. It was our first time walking in the fall and the volume of people, bikers, transport companies for day pilgrims was astounding and a little dismaying.
I have never had anything but postive experiences with Americans on the Camino. As a Canadian and English speaker only, it is nice to chat. Some days it can be a little isolating when every other pilgrim is speaking another language or only has some understanding of English. I guess shame on me for my nonexistent Spanish.
I can understand some of Dave's rage because as a Canadian I am often mistaken for an American because of English. In some cases I have noticed an immediate change of attitude with who is addressing me when I advise I am Canadian. It is almost like they are a little embarrassed for the tone they initially addressed me in.
I was even challenged once regarding the Canadian flag symbol on my back pack. The obvious accusation was that I was an American hiding behind a Canadian flag!
I don't lose my cool very often, but made this person aware of what I thought about them. I get so upset with the smug attitude of some, that it is OK to bash all things American.
I guess the thing to understand is that not everyone who walks a Camino is a great selfless or decent person. There is a huge mix of people with different motivations for walking.
So hopefully Dave is able to work through his bad experience and decide to come back. I do agree though it is probably good to take a break from the forum when your mindset is decidedly negative.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Dave, I must be about your age,as I also was in the Nam. I always liked your posts,and always wish for more. I do not know what all the fuss is about,and do not care. I enjoy hearing with people who have shared a common experience. Other than that we are all different,come from different places,with different viewpoints,and are headed in different directions! As it should be. Take care of yourself,and know that you are cared for. Maybe we will meet on some camino in the future. I get warm feeling thinking about the possibility!

Heartfelt well-wishing!

Dave will come back if and when he's ready, and we should trust his wisdom about that. So please stop pressuring him to do what you want him to do.
And meanwhile it's true - we do miss him.
@peregrina2000 , you hit the nail on the head with your last post - there are links of friendship and care here that I never expected to find. It's 'only' a forum, after all....
Well...NOT.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.