• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Thinking of walking via de plata april 12

suzannedarosa

I had planned to walk the camino frances on april 12,(2nd time for me & first for my friend) but am reconsidering the via de plata instead. I have a couple of questions that I wondered if any of you might have some advice on. I have the confraternity guide/cole/davies 2004 and raju book but 2001 guide which are all a little (or a lot) out of date

Is it a good idea to bring a sleeping pad?
Food/water/albergues - any portions of the walk that these would be difficult to find?

Any other advice for this time of year that would be good for us to consider?

thanks! Suzanne

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello Suzanne, the Camino is very well marked with the first "concha" on a wall directly across the road from "La Giralda" - the Cathedral in Sevilla. Use the Raju guide. Aprart from a few small differences it is still very accurate. Take a light sleeping bag. There are no crowds and you will see Andalucia and Extramadura in the Spring!
Best of luck,
Kevin O'Brien

Hi Kevin, thanks for your reply.

have you walked this route? seems like you have from what you say.

do you think we'd need to bring along a light sleeping pad on this walk? or just our bags

still deciding which route to do. after seeing the snow 3 feet on the tops of cars being dug out in Roncesvalles made us wonder if a spring walk in the south might not be a good idea & it is the right time for that area from what it sounds. will decide finally next week

thanks
sUzanne

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello again Suzanne, you are quite correct. I have been lucky enough to walk the Via de la Plata both in the Autumn and the Spring. By sleeping pad, I presume you mean those rubber bedroll things. We never found them to be necessary on the "La Plata". I know Alison mentions "roof and floor", but all the refs we were in had beds, and we never met anyone who had slept on the floor. The ref. in Laxe is possibly the best in Spain! There is more traffic there now, especially in the Spring, but there is still plenty of room!

Whatever you decide, have a lovely Camino,

Best

Kevin

Hi -
We also walked last spring - there is no need for a sleeping pad. Most alberques are adequate without it. You will love this Camino. We did. It goes on forever - some would think that is a bad thing - it's not. We wished it had really gone on forever, as it was so beautiful - the time span is luxurious for exploring the varied faces of Spain - the landscape, the people, the food, the sights and sounds. Not to speak of your inner landscape..... I envy you. We will not return until next spring.

Buen camino -

lynne

This was my experience in April 2006: Even PdlP can be a bit crowded in spring. The albergues are not so many and small, so suddenly it may be filled up. But most of the time there were a lot of beds for all of us. We brought sleeping pads - just in case - and used them twice. First in Guillena the first night and then in Valdesalor, just before Caceres. In Valdesalor some of our fellow-walkers actually slept on the floor - with just their sleeping-bags. We stoped in Caceres, and will continue frm there next week. You do not have to have a sleeping pad. We have decided to bring them this year also. Then we are more free to stop anywhere in the evening, and we also use them when we stop during the day. We have a very thin and light sort.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
i know for bens book, if you go onto the website, he has an updated list of albergues.i also have a list , i do not know where i got it from, but there are alot of albergues now, there is only one 38km day. afew 30's. i plan on walking in september.
dawn

Most read last week in this forum

My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading to Aciberos. There...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back