• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Thinking of you NZ

Tassie Kaz

Sempre Avanti
Time of past OR future Camino
2024?
I'm sure other Forum members will join with me in letting our Kiwi friends know we are thinking of them & sending our support after the shocking & tragic events which unfolded in New Zealand yesterday.
The walking community is all about diversity, acceptance, compassion, sharing & learning (this Forum is a prime example).
We are often foreigners in new lands in which we are accepted & welcomed. We walk with faith that we will have safe passage. We encounter multiple nationalities, cultures & beliefs which enriches our experience & in return we are ambassadors for our home country.
We are a walking united nations & although outwardly diverse, underneath we are the same & share a common goal.
Stay strong New Zealand...we're with you.
👣🌏

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Kaz, thank you for your kind thoughts. This has certainly sent our little country of 4.5 million people from 200 different races into turmoil. People all over the country are both very angry and very sad. I have had messages of support from my Camino family members all over the world which has been comforting. We will get through this as we do with other difficult events even though we are at the end of the earth we still have our heartbreaks. This picture of a crying Kiwi says it all really...Mark

Hi Kaz, thank you for your kind thoughts. This has certainly sent our little country of 4.5 million people from 200 different races into turmoil. People all over the country are both very angry and very sad. I have had messages of support from my Camino family members all over the world which has been comforting. We will get through this as we do with other difficult events even though we are at the end of the earth we still have our heartbreaks. This picture of a crying Kiwi says it all really...Mark
View attachment 53266
You may be at the end of the earth but you are not alone. The actions of one have left the other 24,999,999 of us across The Ditch, appalled & devastated.
We stand beside you.
🇳🇿🤝🇦🇺

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Just...yes.
Though we walk the camino for countless reasons, and we come from many places, all those differences melt along the way - and astonishingly quickly. Rain falls on everyone the same way and blisters don't care about age, gender, race, or nationality. Status and wealth don't matter anymore, either, when everyone is ankle deep in sticky Rioja mud. There is only our common humanity in the face of the universal challenges of walking, and niether hate nor division have any part in that.

The preciousness of this keeps coming back to me today, after the heartbreaking and shocking news from Christchurch, and with a particular urgency. They are us, we are them. Whoever 'they' are. The Way has shown us that however different we seem on the surface, it is just surface.

I don't know where I'm going with this except to say to my brothers and sisters in (and from) NZ, kia kaha.
And to everyone...buen camino.
May we never forget glimpse of unity that the road has shown us, and find ways to bring it alive at home.
Te aroha, te whakapono, me te rangimarie, tatou tatou e - Love, faith, and peace for us all

THANK YOU from a kiwi. At the moment we are numb and shattered God bless.❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤.now one more ❤

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure other Forum members will join with me in letting our Kiwi friends know we are thinking of them & sending our support after the shocking & tragic events which unfolded in New Zealand yesterday.
The walking community is all about diversity, acceptance, compassion, sharing & learning (this Forum is a prime example).
We are often foreigners in new lands in which we are accepted & welcomed. We walk with faith that we will have safe passage. We encounter multiple nationalities, cultures & beliefs which enriches our experience & in return we are ambassadors for our home country.
We are a walking united nations & although outwardly diverse, underneath we are the same & share a common goal.
👣🌏
Thank you so much Tazzie.
This is such a dreadful time for people here. The massacre was one thing, but what also saddened me was the fact that the international school strike for climate action, which had a huge turnout in New Zealand took place on the same day and has not had any coverage as the Chtistchurch thing happened that same afternoon.
What the kids did was the most positive thing to date, demanding immediate action globally and I feel so disappointed for the children that their event was overshadowed by this tragedy.
It would have been very encouraging for them to have recognition through extensive media coverage. Instead there has been nothing but repetitive coverage of the Christchurch events, all day every day. It is so depressing and give huge exposure and airtime to the perpetrators of this crime.
The message to kids is, that if you want to get somewhere you have to use violence, as a peaceful protest doesn't cut it.
The media are really irresponsible In this, as obviously no one has thought about the mental health of our future generation.
I have written to the media re this and hope they will run some special features re the school strikes.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you so much Tazzie.
This is such a dreadful time for people here. The massacre was one thing, but what also saddened me was the fact that the international school strike for climate action, which had a huge turnout in New Zealand took place on the same day and has not had any coverage as the Chtistchurch thing happened that same afternoon.
What the kids did was the most positive thing to date, demanding immediate action globally and I feel so disappointed for the children that their event was overshadowed by this tragedy.
It would have been very encouraging for them to have recognition through extensive media coverage. Instead there has been nothing but repetitive coverage of the Christchurch events, all day every day. It is so depressing and give huge exposure and airtime to the perpetrators of this crime.
The message to kids is, that if you want to get somewhere you have to use violence, as a peaceful protest doesn't cut it.
The media are really irresponsible In this, as obviously no one has thought about the mental health of our future generation.
I have written to the media re this and hope they will run some special features re the school strikes.
If it's any consolation Gittihare, the Australian strike & marches by the students did receive good media coverage & it was mentioned NZ students also took part. On this occasion it was unfortunate timing but hopefully the young people will know in their hearts & minds they participated in a movement towards positive change. If nothing else, the turnout alone would have shown them they can do great things when they all come together.
👣🌏

Last edited:
If it's any consolation Gittihare, the Australian strike & marches by the students did receive good media coverage & it was mentioned NZ students also took part. Hopefully the young people will know in their hearts & minds they participated in a movement towards positive change. If nothing else, the turnout alone would have shown them they can do great things when they all come together.
Unfortunately, on this occasion it was timing no-one could have predicted.
👣 🌏
I know, thank you...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
👣🌏
Thank you for your kind words. I am shocked and overwhelmed that terrorism has reached us, so far down here at the bottom of the world. It has shaken us to the core. So many of the people who have been targeted came to NZ to live a safe and peaceful life without persecution. I feel deeply ashamed that this could happen to them in our beautiful land.

Thank you for your kind words. I am shocked and overwhelmed that terrorism has reached us, so far down here at the bottom of the world. It has shaken us to the core. So many of the people who have been targeted came to NZ to live a safe and peaceful life without persecution. I feel deeply ashamed that this could happen to them in our beautiful land.
Although I have similar feelings of shame regarding the perpetrator, this was the action of an extremist individual; the event is not indicative of New Zealand nor is the assailant indicative of Australians. Hopefully & thankfully, people understand this.
We're in it together...& so is the rest of the world.
👣 🌏

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We are devastated to think it can happen (did happen) here. There is nothing we can do to really atone for the terrible damage done.
My Camino plans (from Vézelay) seem a trivial effort by comparison. It makes me think that pilgrimage is such a selfish thing. But for some reason it still seems right. Maybe we can shine a little light?
Thanks for your kind thoughts.
Arohanui ki a koutou.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We are devastated to think it can happen (did happen) here. There is nothing we can do to really atone for the terrible damage done.
My Camino plans (from Vézelay) seem a trivial effort by comparison. It makes me think that pilgrimage is such a selfish thing. But for some reason it still seems right. Maybe we can shine a little light?
Thanks for your kind thoughts.
Arohanui ki a koutou.
I agree it makes our pilgrimages feel a bit trivial...we're always fussing over gear, weather, routes, etc BUT doing them provides opportunities to represent our home countries whilst acknowledging diversity, demonstrating acceptance, tolerance & the ability to adapt & learn from those of different cultures & beliefs we meet along the Way. I feel the walking community is a beacon of what could be...harmony & goodwill.
Keep walking everyone...who knows what can be achieved from it.
👣🌏

Last edited:
Still thinking of all of you in Aotearoa....
This feels utterly malignant, and even now unimaginable.
The news cycle will move on, but the shock and grief will take a long time to process and heal.
Kia kaha ~Te aroha, te whakapono, me te rangimarie, tatou tatou e . . .

I agree it makes our pilgrimages feel a bit trivial
the walking community is a beacon of what could be...harmony & inclusiveness.
We are each only able to do what we can do.
When you do something that adds more love and light into the world it's like dropping a pebble in a still pond. The ripples go out and who knows where they go?
And the camino is a significant source of light...of kindness, unity, understanding common humanity...not to mention any epiphanies that may occur to each of us along the way. So don't discount any of it, saying 'this doesn't matter, it's nothing.' One drop at a time is enough to fill a big pot.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Kia ora koutou katoa, friendly greetings to you all.

I'm just starting to move back towards normal. The massacre having happened I felt so proud of our Prime Minister, both on the day and every day since in the way she carried herself personally and her acts and words to individuals and the country.

From watching the news brodcasts (Al Jazeera, BBC, CNN as well as our own, with the haka, karakia and waiata (agressive dance, paryers and songs) I am reminded of the proverb:

He aha te mea nui o te ao
... (What is the most important thing in the world?)
He ta'nga'ta, he ta'nga'ta, he ta'nga'ta.
... (It is the people, the people, the people)

Hei konā mai (goodbye for now)

Kia ora, Alwyn,
My heart goes out to you, and to all.
Once again Aoteroa shines. Amidst the depths of this tragedy, every day there are a thousand acts of kindness,compassion, and respect - from the schoolkids in Chch doing the haka in the street as an act of grief and respect, all the way up to the PM, whose leadership sets an example for the world. And everyone in between.
I too am proud, and immensely heartened.
This is how we could all be living. It is possible.
Me ngā whakaaro, inoi aroha atu...kia kaha....

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Kia ora, Alwyn,
My heart goes out to you, and to all.
Once again Aoteroa shines. Amidst the depths of this tragedy, every day there are a thousand acts of kindness,compassion, and respect - from the schoolkids in Chch doing the haka in the street as an act of grief and respect, all the way up to the PM, whose leadership sets an example for the world. And everyone in between.
I too am proud, and immensely heartened.
This is how we could all be living. It is possible.
Me ngā whakaaro, inoi aroha atu...kia kaha....
Thank you for posting the link to the video showing the schoolchildren's powerful and moving haka. I am so bereft, but I have to believe that this generation and the leadership modelled by your PM, will make change happen.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We in the USA are far too used to these horrors.

May NZ find strength.
Yes, and that is why I left the USA over 40 years ago now, but now the madness is spreading. I do hope that NZ can tighten their gun control laws and that Oz ensures the post-Port Arthur measures are not weakened or watered down. All my love and support to the people of Christchurch (our sister city) and to all of New Zealand.

Yes, and that is why I left the USA over 40 years ago now, but now the madness is spreading. I do hope that NZ can tighten their gun control laws and that Oz ensures the post-Port Arthur measures are not weakened or watered down. All my love and support to the people of Christchurch (our sister city) and to all of New Zealand.
Seems like there is nowhere left to run...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back