• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Third week on the Camino May/June 2016

Angie94

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances - 2016 www.angie-carter.com/camino
https://youtu.be/PtE_hvREZc4
Hola fellow pilgrims and forum members! Well I have started my third week on the Camino and I'm very happy that I listen to the suggestions of hanging in there after the first week when it was so hard emotionally and mentally. I have met various people that I am hanging with and I am feeling much better. I don't have any anxiety anymore and the fears have dissipated. I try to walk alone some of the day with my newfound friends either in front of me or behind me and then sometimes we all walk together. We help each other find beds for the next day and make reservations or figure out how far we want to walk and the share dinner together. We arrived in Burgos Day before yesterday and I have two new blisters! Uggggh! We are all taking a rest day to chill out for a while and visit the cathedral. It was truly a magnificent site to see!!! WOW!! I am so grateful to God for these experiences I am having and the interesting people I am meeting!! I went to the sports store today and got some good hiking sandals, give my feet a break from the hiking boots...and I am taking care of my blisters so they should be OK. Everything else is going wonderful. I continue to wear my cho-pat knee braces, I could probably get by without them but I think they help. I have not had any swollen knees or new problems yet.
If you need a good recommendation for a hotel in Burgos I recommend Fernan Gonzalez hotel on Calera Street. A 4 star hotel right across the street from the cathedral and close to markets and other stores. 49 Euros a night (The group I am hanging with was very happy I found this place!)
If you were worried about doing the Camino it is exactly like all the other members said, things start to fall into place, things work out, and things get easier. Don't give up before it gets AWESOME!!! My first week is nothing like it is now. I had so MANY questions before I left and wondered if I was bringing the right stuff or not... I will just tell you what I am glad I did bring, this is just my opinion, others may have a different opinion. 1) sleeping bag ( it has been unusually chilly for this time of year - that could all change now that we are going to hit the Meseta)
2) zip lock bags quart size (I carry my pilgrims passport and a couple other documents in the bag- helps protect them)
3) the lush bar soap is NOT working out for me, messy and wet. I just got some regular shampoo.
4) my Buff
5) pull on sleeves
6) smarTube and sip n clip
Download booking.com app in case you decide you would like to reserve a night ahead. I don't speak much Spanish and it was difficult to call ahead in some instances as they didn't speak much English. I am glad the girls I'm hanging with speak fairly good Spanish! I tried to learn some before I left but it just doesn't "stick"!...I continue to practice. You can get by without it but as others have said it makes it easier if you know some.
Also, like others have said if you get here and find you don't have something you need you can find it here. Also I carried way too many snacks… I didn't need to do that. A few are fine but most of it was unnecessary weight.
I have wore my Royal Robbins hiking skirt (sometimes with leggings, sometimes without) I like it!! Glad I brought a long sleeve shirt.
Catch you all next week on week four!!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 47
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I agree with SY - as its still late Spring/Early Summer there should be some green grass which does make it look so much better. You knee brace will be useful going down mule killer hill into Hornillos (its steep and has very rough gravel - or at least it did back in Sept 2015). Cheers.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Angie I'm pleased it's now working out for you, as has been said, enjoy the Meseta it really is wonderful.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Great going, Angie!
The meseta is not everyone's cup of tea...people love it or hate it.
I think it's magical, my favorite part of the Frances. I hope it works its magic for you too!

The Meseta is great. It's the mind numbing Senda that follows it :eek:

Though I note that those sections of Senda that really start around Fromista are still 'technically' on the Meseta. ...

Last edited:
The Meseta is great. It's the mind numbing Senda that follows it :eek:
Ha ha....
Much of that can be avoided, by taking the alternative route after Sahagun, and a gain after Leon.
The road after Mazariffe, though...that is definitely a challenge. Fortunately there is virtually no traffic, but it's flat, long, and very straight and there's no senda.
'Mind-numbing' definitely fits. It's generally a good indication of how much more inner work I need to do. :)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Fabulous news! So glad that you persevered and have your Camino family.

You may find that the big wide skies and far horizons of the Meseta suit your broadened outlook. Enjoy!

A word of warning about the Buff - they're addictive and I'm certain that they breed!

I liked the Meseta, Some the upgrades wore me out, but reaching the top was great. Some heavy winds and rain accompanied us. But mostly just cloudy. This was last April.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The road after Mazariffe, though...that is definitely a challenge. Fortunately there is virtually no traffic, but it's flat, long, and very straight and there's no senda.
'Mind-numbing' definitely fits. It's generally a good indication of how much more inner work I need to do. :)

Walked from Mazarife today. Not bad at all (except for my new blisters). It's green, lots of wildflowers, mostly tractor traffic - enjoyed watching them plow the fields. Lots of walking on the highway, but I hear (from searching this forum) that the traditional route is worse, walking next to the highway, but lots of traffic.

... I am glad the girls I'm hanging with speak fairly good Spanish! I tried to learn some before I left but it just doesn't "stick"!...
I have wore my Royal Robbins hiking skirt...
Languages don't stick with me either. But walking alone I found that I was much better with Spanish than I thought (vs when walking with people I'd suddenly rely on them). I love my Royal Robbins hiking skirt - used it this year as my "dressy skirt" in Madrid. And when I'm not wearing my Macabi skirts to work, I'm usually wearing my RR!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hola fellow pilgrims and forum members! Well I have started my third week on the Camino and I'm very happy that I listen to the suggestions of hanging in there after the first week when it was so hard emotionally and mentally. I have met various people that I am hanging with and I am feeling much better. I don't have any anxiety anymore and the fears have dissipated. I try to walk alone some of the day with my newfound friends either in front of me or behind me and then sometimes we all walk together. We help each other find beds for the next day and make reservations or figure out how far we want to walk and the share dinner together. We arrived in Burgos Day before yesterday and I have two new blisters! Uggggh! We are all taking a rest day to chill out for a while and visit the cathedral. It was truly a magnificent site to see!!! WOW!! I am so grateful to God for these experiences I am having and the interesting people I am meeting!! I went to the sports store today and got some good hiking sandals, give my feet a break from the hiking boots...and I am taking care of my blisters so they should be OK. Everything else is going wonderful. I continue to wear my cho-pat knee braces, I could probably get by without them but I think they help. I have not had any swollen knees or new problems yet.
If you need a good recommendation for a hotel in Burgos I recommend Fernan Gonzalez hotel on Calera Street. A 4 star hotel right across the street from the cathedral and close to markets and other stores. 49 Euros a night (The group I am hanging with was very happy I found this place!)
If you were worried about doing the Camino it is exactly like all the other members said, things start to fall into place, things work out, and things get easier. Don't give up before it gets AWESOME!!! My first week is nothing like it is now. I had so MANY questions before I left and wondered if I was bringing the right stuff or not... I will just tell you what I am glad I did bring, this is just my opinion, others may have a different opinion. 1) sleeping bag ( it has been unusually chilly for this time of year - that could all change now that we are going to hit the Meseta)
2) zip lock bags quart size (I carry my pilgrims passport and a couple other documents in the bag- helps protect them)
3) the lush bar soap is NOT working out for me, messy and wet. I just got some regular shampoo.
4) my Buff
5) pull on sleeves
6) smarTube and sip n clip
Download booking.com app in case you decide you would like to reserve a night ahead. I don't speak much Spanish and it was difficult to call ahead in some instances as they didn't speak much English. I am glad the girls I'm hanging with speak fairly good Spanish! I tried to learn some before I left but it just doesn't "stick"!...I continue to practice. You can get by without it but as others have said it makes it easier if you know some.
Also, like others have said if you get here and find you don't have something you need you can find it here. Also I carried way too many snacks… I didn't need to do that. A few are fine but most of it was unnecessary weight.
I have wore my Royal Robbins hiking skirt (sometimes with leggings, sometimes without) I like it!! Glad I brought a long sleeve shirt.
Catch you all next week on week four!!
Angie - Well done! so pleased to hear that you did not 'give in' and were drowned out in worries and fear. Worries are like praying for what you don't want.
:eek:
Much to be grateful for , no?! give yourself, and your feet/knees/muscles proper rest and pampering. It always amazed me how the body manages to restore and recuperate after a good nights sleep.
sometimes i wobbled onto bed - not having any notion of how this body might be able to rise again the next morning, let alone to walk with a backpack many more miles.
lo and behold ... right as rain - and off i went.
but proper rest is needed - be wise. and wishing you much FUN too. blessed be, C.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back