• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

This could come in handy!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Can you carry it on an airplane? :)
Once the blade is 5cm or shorter you can carry it on a plane. I have a Victorinox 'Swisscard' which lives in my wallet. Airport security regularly remove it and measure the blade (3.75cm) and it's always passed muster.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Once the blade is 5cm or shorter you can carry it on a plane. I have a Victorinox 'Swisscard' which lives in my wallet. Airport security regularly remove it and measure the blade (3.75cm) and it's always passed muster.
Unfortunately this is not true in the US.

What a brilliant idea! I love it! Unfortunately even the silver foil on the packet of polos in my pocket set the airport alarm off. Don't think I could get away with it.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I wasn't eligible as soon as it said hair clip.:rolleyes:

Are you sure? Until last week I would have said The same In Canada but as I went through The safety airport area I noticed new signs that indicated that You can now bring knifes, blades, etc., as long as them are less than 6 cm at The based of The blade.

I was actually joking when I asked about it being allowed on planes. But I just checked the tsa.gov page listing prohibited items. For knives it says they are prohibited from carry-on "Except for plastic or round bladed butter knives.". For scissors it says "Metal with pointed tips and a blade length greater than four inches measured from the fulcrum are not allowed."

It also notes "The final decision rests with the TSA officer on whether an item is allowed through the checkpoint." So no matter what the regs actually say, they may still prohibit anything. But I doubt the hairclip in the OP would really ever be an issue.

BTW, under Sporting Goods, it doesn't mention walking poles, but it does say that ski poles are prohibited in carry-on. And given that "the final decision rests with the TSA officer," I don't think I'd take my chances unless the poles were cheap enough that I was willing to take the chance of leaving then at the security checkpoint.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I ha

The Swiss Card is not an exception to the rules against knife blades. The x-Ray machine just does not see a blade, because this blade is designed to look like something else.

I personally carry a Gerber "Dime Travel" pocket multi/tool. It literally has everything except a knife and weighs a fraction of what the classic SA knife weighs. Check it out.

I also fly both domestic (US) and foreign often. I have never had a problem. In fact I present it to the security folks when I pass through and point out that it has no knife blade. The tiny scissor is flight/legal. I never have problems.

This tool is in my trouser pocket right now. I use the tool several times daily. I have never needed a knife blade. Everyone else has one to borrow. I am in my hotel at Villanfranca del Bierzo, on my fourth Camino.

I hope this helps.

The Swiss Card is not an exception to the rules against knife blades. The x-Ray machine just does not see a blade, because this blade is designed to look like something else.
I personally carry a Gerber "Dime Travel" pocket multi/tool. It literally has everything except a knife and weighs a fraction of what the classic SA knife weighs. Check it out.
Looking at the Swiss Card images on both the Victorinox website and Amazon dot com, it's hard for me to see how the knife blade is not visible in the x-ray since it's clearly visible in the transparent plastic card, but you should know. And thanks for the info on the Gerber Dime Travel -- I'm going to look into that for airline travel. I'm sure that TSA has a whole file on me noting the number of those little 1.5" blade pocket Swiss Army knives I've surrendered over the past few years. When you carry them everyday, it's just so darn easy to forget that they're there.

BTW, Tom, if we ever meet in person I'll have to share the story of my Swiss Army knife and Madrid airport security.

Jim

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
BTW, under Sporting Goods, it doesn't mention walking poles, but it does say that ski poles are prohibited in carry-on. And given that "the final decision rests with the TSA officer," I don't think I'd take my chances unless the poles were cheap enough that I was willing to take the chance of leaving then at the security checkpoint.

I know it's not nice to harp, so I try to refrain from responding every time I see someone from the US who is worried about carrying on hiking poles. But it's a slow news day on the forum. :) To my knowledge, and with @grayland as my corroboration, no one on this forum has ever reported being unable to carry on hiking poles through TSA security at a US airport. I have done it many many times, probably now getting into the 20s, both for my trips to Spain and other hiking trips around the US.

Having had my lovely hiking poles go missing en route to Spain once, which made for a hectic pre-Vdlp day, I have changed to carry on mode and have never had a problem. Not saying things won't change or that it hasn't happened, just that no one has reported a problem first hand on this forum, and that many of us do it regularly. Buen camino, Laurie

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back