• PLEASE NOTE: Please think twice before you travel to Spain now. More here.

Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

A helping hand This Forum is a Camino Business too!

Camino(s) past & future
CF SJPdP to SdC
(May 2015)
CF Sarria to SdC
(May 2016)
CF SJPDP-SdC
(May 2018)
VdlP (2022?)
Your turn @ivar.

And don't you dare delete this thread :p

As we all know, @ivar has done a tremendous job recently in promoting the plight of many Camino Businesses, and has allowed them to post a range of donation links here. The intention being to help keep those businesses stay alive during the Pandemic.

We also know, that @ivar hates to promote himself or his business.
Just try to find the Forum Store link. Heck, it's hard to even buy anything from him :rolleyes:

You may not know, but in a recent interview I had with @ivar, he shared that the Forum is now his only source of income.

So I'd like to make a suggestion.

That we help keep THIS Camino Business alive too. And show our thanks and gratitude to @ivar for providing us with our '2nd home' and wonderful 'community'.

This is certainly one Camino related Business (and family) that I want to see 'make it' through these difficult times.

There is a really easy way, for those who can, to provide some additional support to @ivar . It already exists!

Just go to this link and you can make a donation to the running costs of the Forum, from as little as e10.

And not only will you be helping @ivar, but you'll get some cool benefits too, like not seeing the adverts for a period, and having a 'donating member' tag added below your avatar to show your appreciation.

Just know @ivar that you are loved and appreciated by so many people here.
And we know you always put others before yourself.

But not this time ;)

Please allow us the pleasure of supporting the Forum, and You.

The 'joy of giving'.

It's a two way thing..........

Keep up the great work and our best wishes to you and your family at these tough times.

Last edited:

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)
And don't you dare delete this thread
🤣

@Robo, thank you for the chuckle as well as the opportunity for the prompted generosity! I am sure I'm not the only one here with a vested interest in keeping this forum alive and thriving. So I just happily offered a donation — let's keep it going!
💖
Thank you Ivar for all you do to pull us together.

Camino(s) past & future
Frances April 2016
Portugese from Lisbon 2018
Via Francigena (2020)
Your turn @ivar.

As we all know, @ivar has done a tremendous job recently in promoting the plight of many Camino Businesses, and has allowed them to post a range of donation links here. The intention being to help keep those businesses stay alive during the Pandemic.

Just try to find the Forum Store link. Heck, it's hard to even buy anything from him :rolleyes:

You may not know, but in a recent interview I had with @ivar, he shared that the Forum is now his only source of income.

That we help keep THIS Camino Business alive too. And show our thanks and gratitude to @ivar for providing us with our '2nd home' and wonderful 'community'.

This is certainly one Camino related Business (and family) that I want to see 'make it' through these difficult times.

There is a really easy way, for those who can, to provide some additional support to @ivar . It already exists!

Just go to this link and you can make a donation to the running costs of the Forum, from as little as e10.

And not only will you be helping @ivar, but you'll get some cool benefits too, like not seeing the adverts for a period, and having a 'donating member' tag added below your avatar to show your appreciation.

But not this time ;)

The 'joy of giving'.

Keep up the great work and our best wishes to you and your family at these tough times.
Thank you from a fellow Aussie. I had no idea really this was the only form of income for Ivar. Would hate to lose this forum and everyone here.

Icacos

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2013)
You are so correct. A few days ago, i was so long in finding the Forum Store that, by the time I located it, I had run out of time so didn’t order the hands-free umbrella I want to give a friend. Now I am reminded ... oh my goodness, there’s the link to the Forum Store ... just there to the right as I type this!

i will see if I can order that umbrella now ... just don’t know if there is international shipping happening now.

Stay safe, everyone.

Rex

One Step at a Time
Camino(s) past & future
SJPdP to Santiago (2013)
Lisboa to Santiago (2018)
via Francigena (1st Half ~ 6/2021)
Thanks for the link and the prompt. Was thinking of all the things I've been doing during COVID restrictions (dry rot repair, painting the house, installing new garage door openers, re-fencing the back acres, etc... The only fun things (not that hard physical labor is not fun, but...) that are consistent in this period are my daily long runs (got to stay in shape for the Caminos to come) and the daily updates from Casa Ivar and the weekly Zoom calls. Thanks for all you do, Ivar, and stay safe.
Buen Camino!

Camino(s) past & future
CF SJPdP to SdC
(May 2015)
CF Sarria to SdC
(May 2016)
CF SJPDP-SdC
(May 2018)
VdlP (2022?)
You are so correct. A few days ago, i was so long in finding the Forum Store that, by the time I located it, I had run out of time so didn’t order the hands-free umbrella I want to give a friend. Now I am reminded ... oh my goodness, there’s the link to the Forum Store ... just there to the right as I type this!

i will see if I can order that umbrella now ... just don’t know if there is international shipping happening now.

Stay safe, everyone.

Good idea. Better to order now in case you forget :)

lt56ny

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF(2012) Le Puy/CF (2015) Portugues (2017) Norte (2018) CF (2019) VDLP?
Your turn @ivar.

But not this time ;)

The 'joy of giving'.

Thanks for this much needed and appreciated threat that MUST NEVER BE DELETED! GOT THAT IVAR!!!!!

Camino(s) past & future
(2009): Camino Frances
(2011): Sevilla-Salamanca, VdlP
(2012): Salamanca-SdC, VdlP
(2014): SJpdP-Astorga
(2015): Astorga-SdC
(2016) May Pamplona-Moratinos; Sept.:Burgos-SdC
(2016): August/Sept: Camino San Olav (Burgos-Covarubbias), Burgos-Sarria
(2017): May: Portuguese; Sept: Pamplona-SdC
Holy sh... Now, donation boxes are popping up everywhere, on every member avatar! What have you started, @Robo ???

Camino(s) past & future
CF Sep/Oct 2015
C Primitivo Sep / Oct 2016
Portugese Sep/Oct 2017
VdlP, Muxia 2018
Your turn @ivar.

But not this time ;)

The 'joy of giving'.

Well done Robo. Absolutely agree with everything you say. Now more than ever it is a pleasure and an honor to be a part of this forum. Ivar's video reports connect us directly with Santiago and Spain. Delighted to continue supporting the forum and Ivar. We are all in this together and we need to be kind and supportive.
The opportunity for everyone to share their stories and helpful information here is invaluable as it enhances our Camino experience and keeps us connected.
This pandemic challenges us all but we must have belief that this too shall pass. We want you to be there when we get to the other side.
Job done!
JamesP

RENSHAW

Official Camino Vino taster
Camino(s) past & future
2003 CF Roncesvalles to Santiago
2/4 weeks on the CF frequently.
Hospitalero San Anton June 2016.
Ivar , in the past when times were good I was a donating member. I hope you understand, if I do get some money into my account , I would donate it to an Albergue that is teetering on ruin and now that we are in the winter months these private owners are really going to suffer. The 'second wave' seems to be taking hold now.

JennyH94

Pilgrim in progress
Camino(s) past & future
CF - sections and whole (2012-2019) and part VF (2017)
Thanks Robo so much for this thread. The Forum is our main link to the Camino and I appreciate more than words can say everything that Ivar has done and continues to do to keep that link strong. Thank you Ivar.
While writing I say a huge thank you too to the Mods for all the work they do in keeping the Forum a place of goodwill across the global pilgrim community.
Cheers from Oz -
Jenny

RENSHAW

Official Camino Vino taster
Camino(s) past & future
2003 CF Roncesvalles to Santiago
2/4 weeks on the CF frequently.
Hospitalero San Anton June 2016.
@RENSHAW your contributions to this forum over many years qualify you, IMO, as a donating member ;)
Most heart Warming , Thank you.
I am indebted to the Camino and so much to the people who have indulged and served me. If ever I do get some money in , and times are hard right now , I will certainly make a contribution.

Camino(s) past & future
CF SJPdP to SdC
(May 2015)
CF Sarria to SdC
(May 2016)
CF SJPDP-SdC
(May 2018)
VdlP (2022?)

Stay safe, everyone.

Woo Hoo! My new Camino de Invierno Guidebook just arrived at the Door! More planning :)

It would be nice if this thread maintains some new posts and comments to keep it near the top of the thread list for a while.

Because as we all know, @ivar sure as heck won't pin it! :rolleyes:

Gotta love him......... :)

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
CF14
LePuy/CF(21?)
Aussie Camino15
WHW15
CP16
CdelN Fin/Muxia18
GGW StCuthWay HadrWall CotswoldWay19
Thank you and well done Robo for starting this thread.

We had the pleasure of meeting Ivar back in 2018 after we walked the Camino del Norte. It was such a delight to meet him in the flesh. The forum has kept us all going over the last year during these rather strange times. I (Anne) visit it at least a couple of times everyday. We are both very thankful for its existence and appreciate everything Ivar does and the positive contributions of all the members.

Best wishes to Ivar and his family, we look forward to meeting you again.
Anne & Pat

Camino(s) past & future
Portuguese coastal (2021)
Hi everyone!
This may sound a bit over the top but it's how i feel.
I only joined the forum in July, but the help and advice given to me about my particular needs on the Camino, by so many good people from across this wonderful World has made me feel welcome and it is truly inclusive of all!
The forum has become my breakfast companion and the first thing i check into everyday(and numerous times thereafter). I love listening to everyone's,tips,stories and adventures on their walks.
I always listen to Ivar's Camino conversations and updates as an insight into whats happening at the moment.
I had no hesitation about responding to Robo's request as i hope to be here for years to come and without Ivar where would this forum be.
I think that at this time it is hard to chose who to help and when.
There is Wise pilgrim he tried to help me yesterday; how many of us have his apps that are used on the Camino?
I listened to Robo's vid about Susi of Casa Susi on the French way.
The way i look at it is like this:
If i were in a pub would i buy my friend a pint "of-course i would" is there that much of a difference here! We rely on these guys supporting our dreams, and our ability to enrich our lives with Camino.
Oh my life, all that and i haven't walked yet!
But next year when i do it will be on here;thanks to the good heart of this forum.
Woody.

JohnLloyd

Author of "Go Your Own Way"
Camino(s) past & future
Francés - SJPDP to SdC - Autumn 2018
Portugués - Porto to SdC - Spring 2019
Francés again - ASAP
This forum is one of the very few corners of the Internet that remains a beacon of positivity, friendship and community, transcending national and cultural boundaries, and giving us all a place to pay homage to the Way.

Saying "gracias" is one thing. Chipping in a few euros is another. I'm delighted to do both.

Camino(s) past & future
CF SJPdP to SdC
(May 2015)
CF Sarria to SdC
(May 2016)
CF SJPDP-SdC
(May 2018)
VdlP (2022?)
Hi everyone!
This may sound a bit over the top but it's how i feel.
I only joined the forum in July, but the help and advice given to me about my particular needs on the Camino, by so many good people from across this wonderful World has made me feel welcome and it is truly inclusive of all!
The forum has become my breakfast companion and the first thing i check into everyday(and numerous times thereafter). I love listening to everyone's,tips,stories and adventures on their walks.
I always listen to Ivar's Camino conversations and updates as an insight into whats happening at the moment.
I had no hesitation about responding to Robo's request as i hope to be here for years to come and without Ivar where would this forum be.
I think that at this time it is hard to chose who to help and when.
There is Wise pilgrim he tried to help me yesterday; how many of us have his apps that are used on the Camino?
I listened to Robo's vid about Susi of Casa Susi on the French way.
The way i look at it is like this:
If i were in a pub would i buy my friend a pint "of-course i would" is there that much of a difference here! We rely on these guys supporting our dreams, and our ability to enrich our lives with Camino.
Oh my life, all that and i haven't walked yet!
But next year when i do it will be on here;thanks to the good heart of this forum.
Woody.

The "Spirit" of the Camino is a wonderful and tangible thing.
It will amaze and overwhelm you when you eventually get to walk in the path of so many millions of Pilgrims.

Somehow, @ivar has managed to create that same spirit here, in a virtual World.

I'm so thankful for that..........

And for the many amazing members who have become friends over the years, even though we have never met face to face.

OK. well a few of you I have ! Over a cup of tea in Santiago, on a bridge in the middle of nowhere (outside Melide) catching a coffee just out of Sarria, on the way up to Orrison.

Heck, thinking about it....I've actually met quite a few fellow Camino Addicts here! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

susanawee

susanawee
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances-(2013/14/18
Camino Salvado Perth -(2015)
West Highland Way (2016)
Lyon France 2017
Your turn @ivar.

But not this time ;)

The 'joy of giving'.

Hi Robbo....thankyou for the above and I agree with everything you have written here. I would be quite happy to make a donation to help keep the forum alive and to support Ivar in all that he does for us. But, on this note, and i have approached Ivar with the question before, the Easiest way for me, and I am sure also for some others, is via PayPal, but for whatever reason, this is not supported by Ivar. I use Pay pal in order to keep my small business of selling thecAustralian Pilgrims on the Camino patches and have found, that although it does cost me a small amount in fees, it is by far, the Easiest way for most people to pay. If you could possibly organise somehow, to make this option available, I will be very happy to make a donation straight away. Also, there is the difference between Aust dollars and the Euro, so, from this end, we are already behind the 'eight ball'. So just from that point, I feel it would be the easier option for me, my only source of income being the Aust pension. Cheers Susanawee - not trying to rock any one's boat here. (Susan Morris- Aust Pilgrims on the Camino and beyond Fb group owner)

Camino(s) past & future
frances 1998, 2000, 2013
Your turn @ivar.

But not this time ;)

The 'joy of giving'.

Our albergue is on “the other side”, that of the victims of the situation with Ivar and at the same time that of the beneficiaries of Ivar's work and of your love for the Camino de Santiago.
We have a double reason to collaborate and share these problems, albeit humbly. Many few do a lot.
Robo, thank you very much for reminding us, Anita and me, of this.

Paul Wilson

Camino(s) past & future
Portuguese April 2019
Frances May 2021
My dream of walking the Camino started about 5yrs ago when I found a copy of The Way in my father in laws caravan I watched it and was intrigued. I did some internet research and found the forum and was hooked.
Last year, with my 75yr old father in law we walked the Portuguese from Valenca and it was fantastic but my plan was for the Frances in May 2021, I retire from the fire service on the 6th and will be on a train to St Jean on the 12th thanks to @ivar and the forum I found my passion growing I have been buying from the store monthly to do a little bit to help him keep our dreams alive keep safe all and I hope to meet some of you next year Buen Camino perigrinos and gracias Ivar 👍

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2012, 2015, Portugues 2013, 2019, 2020, Ingles 2014, Norte 2016/2017/2018, Primitivo 2020
Your turn @ivar.

But not this time ;)

The 'joy of giving'.

very happy to have made a donation to this worthy cause; ivar & co are indeed bringing us much and valuable joy; however, surely the point of making a contribution at this time is to recognize that camino forum represents someone's livelihood rather than that it is a business; i am sure that even in the best of times it has never been a gold mine

Jenyat53

Camino(s) past & future
CF: September 2013 & April/ May 2014
CF: April/May 2016 CP Tui - SDC Feb 2018
I'm proud to have purchased a "Lifetime Membership" and encourage others to do the same.

My life would be vastly poorer without the Forum.
That’s a great idea @rappahannock_rev I feel the same here in Oz. I will check out how to do the Lifetime Membership. A great way to thank @ivar for all his hard work and loving attention to detail.

Camino(s) past & future
CF SJPdP to SdC
(May 2015)
CF Sarria to SdC
(May 2016)
CF SJPDP-SdC
(May 2018)
VdlP (2022?)
That’s a great idea @rappahannock_rev I feel the same here in Oz. I will check out how to do the Lifetime Membership. A great way to thank @ivar for all his hard work and loving attention to detail.

Well done. Very easy. Just click on the link and each option is explained.
Including the lifetime membership.

Camino(s) past & future
May 2017 September (2019)
Your turn @ivar.

But not this time ;)

The 'joy of giving'.

Done. As our currency is in junk status, the exchange rate is horrendous, so, as a pensioner I can only afford €10. But every little bit helps I'm sure. I so enjoy reading the posts on this forum.

Camino(s) past & future
(2017) Started in Sarria.
(2019) Considering a longer walk.
Ivar, thank you for your dedication to this Forum. Love reading the posts though I don't post or often respond to a post. I have found some very valuable information and can't image not having this walking/hiking resource. My goal is to hopefully do another Camino in a couple of years.

Jenyat53

Camino(s) past & future
CF: September 2013 & April/ May 2014
CF: April/May 2016 CP Tui - SDC Feb 2018
Well done. Very easy. Just click on the link and each option is explained.
Including the lifetime membership.
Done and dusted thank you.
This is a wonderful way, for those of us who can, to help Ivar maintain a service that has helped and will help all of us for years to come. I studied the forum for almost four years before my first camino which made the actual experience absolutely fabulous in a way it would not have been without the knowledge I had acquired. I still read the daily email every morning..... they are irreplaceable in my life.
Thank you @ivar 🙏🏼

Camino(s) past & future
(2009): Camino Frances
(2011): Sevilla-Salamanca, VdlP
(2012): Salamanca-SdC, VdlP
(2014): SJpdP-Astorga
(2015): Astorga-SdC
(2016) May Pamplona-Moratinos; Sept.:Burgos-SdC
(2016): August/Sept: Camino San Olav (Burgos-Covarubbias), Burgos-Sarria
(2017): May: Portuguese; Sept: Pamplona-SdC
very happy to have made a donation to this worthy cause; ivar & co are indeed bringing us much and valuable joy; however, surely the point of making a contribution at this time is to recognize that camino forum represents someone's livelihood rather than that it is a business; i am sure that even in the best of times it has never been a gold mine
Indeed, fellow Norwegian. (I suspect).

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2008) Le Puy to SJPP (2010) Camino Primitivo (2010)
VLP (2013) Norte (2016/17)
Your turn @ivar.

But not this time ;)

The 'joy of giving'.

Robo - thank you for posting this - I agree wholeheartedly with all the sentiments expressed by other pilgrims and I also appreciate all that Ivan does for us on this excellent forum. You made me aware that my donation amount had expired, so I will make things right! Well done you and a big thank you to Ivan (and to the moderators) who contribute to the quality of the forum.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2008) Le Puy to SJPP (2010) Camino Primitivo (2010)
VLP (2013) Norte (2016/17)
Your turn @ivar.

But not this time ;)

The 'joy of giving'.

There is so much wisdom on this forum, that I don't often write a post, but I read all posts avidly. Robo - I must say "Thank You" for reminding us of Ivan's crucial role in running the forum and I want to thank him and all the wonderful moderators for providing past, present and future pilgrims with so such excellent support. You also reminded me that it was a while since I had made a donation, so that has now been attended to! Looking forward to when we can once again walk the Camino. Thank you so much Ivan - I hope you and your family are safe.

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
Most heart Warming , Thank you.
I am indebted to the Camino and so much to the people who have indulged and served me. If ever I do get some money in , and times are hard right now , I will certainly make a contribution.
No worries... I just saw your message now. You have been on the forum for 10 years, so you deserve an upgrade just for that... you are now a "Donating member". Thank you for participating on the forum over the years!

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2014)
Camino Via Podiensis (2018)
Done😊 Thanks so much to Ivar and all the folks here that keep this wonderful site running. I don't always say much but am a happy lurker fascinated by all things camino. Linda

Camino(s) past & future
St Jean-Sahagun'16' Sahagun Santiago Finisterre'18' Portugese'19'
Your turn @ivar.

But not this time ;)

The 'joy of giving'.

Thanks for the Info Bob, This forum is helping me keep sane during lock-down here in Ireland. Please Ivar - keep going. A question for the members - Are there any albergues in serious need of support ?

ivar

Administrator
Staff member

JillGat

la tierra encantada
Camino(s) past & future
C. Frances SJPP - Finisterre - Muxia (May 2016)
C. Frances (Sept 2017)
Camino Portugues (June 2019)
During this pandemic time when most of us are not walking, I have found that I don't visit and post as often here (even though I think of the Camino every day!). So I hadn't noticed that my "membership dues" had lapsed, too. I think it is especially important now to keep our "donating member" status updated to support Ivar in keeping this forum going. Just a reminder!

Advertisement

Booking.com

Camino Conversations

Camino Conversations

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

Most downloaded Resources

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 57 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 202 15.2%
  • May