A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

This, I will carry to Santiago...

Camino Badges
Camino(s) past & future
Frances(2006) Portugues(2013)
San Salvador (2017) Ingles (2019)
This morning as i wished buen camino to departing pilgrims, one told me what was making his bag so big and heavy: framed photos of his mother and his sister. He has carried them from South Korea. He plans to leave them in Santiago.
(Very few pilgrims i have met are aware of the forum, by the way).
What do you plan to carry to Santiago, that you will not leave behind in a donativo box, or post onwards?

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2005,2008,2010,2015.camino Portuguese 2007 .primativo2012.camino Norte 2009.sjpdp to finisterre and muxia 2007. Le Puy to jpdp 2006. Via francigena vercelli to Lucca 2014. Lucca to Rome 2016.
This morning as i wished buen camino to departing pilgrims, one told me what was making his bag so big and heavy: framed photos of his mother and his sister. He has carried them from South Korea. He plans to leave them in Santiago.
(Very few pilgrims i have met are aware of the forum, by the way).
What do you plan to carry to Santiago, that you will not leave behind in a donativo box, or post onwards?
Morning Kirkie,
An admirable man to be sure

I always bring my mothers mortuary card with me when we go abroad or on a camino
At home, I use it as a bookmark

Although I had not planned leaving it anywhere on the Invierno in July or indeed in Santiago...this is where it is...just before Ponte Ulla as we came off the invierno.

As we went through the woods, we came across a hollowed out tree containing trinkets, pictures of saints, beads, poems and pictures of loved ones......
So now, Elizabeth McGrath has joined them ....anyone passing by just say hello to her!!

Like this, somewhere near the end of the CF is a mound of stones memorial made for an Irish woman whose name I can't recall right now ...same items left there

Re the forum...we met a hospitalero from the Norte who had never heard of this forum....indeed he knows all about it now!!!image.jpeg

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
CF (2015) and (2019)
As I did a final sweep of packing I spied my many years departed Dad's handkerchief. It was one of the few things of his I had kept. I stuffed it in my pack and found it a great comfort....just pulling it out, even if to use as intended filled me with memories. It was extremely practical - no tissue litter to fall out of pockets and washed and dried nightly in an instant. Totally functional in many ways and much lighter and faster drying than a normal neckerchief scarf and so much more meaningful! I debated leaving it tied to a fence along the way but felt it would just mean clutter for someone else to have to clean up and I didn't really want to leave it anyway. Now on my hikes, it's the first thing in my pack! I tried a ladies handkerchief but it just wasn't as large and meaningful as my Dad's. It' a funny but practical memory for sure!

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 6 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 43 4.0%
  • April

Votes: 162 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 261 24.6%