• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

This is an interesting idea for saving some ounces and grams.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Wow, this sounds like a great idea! Please do share your experience! :)

DIY "liquid" travel containers. If you travel with a bit of conditioner or other liquid this might be useful. I am going to try this and take my stuff to the gym and see how it works.

Also if you don't want to DIY I found these on Amazon

Enjoy!
What a great idea. I liked it so much that I ran out and bought the 4 pack of yogurt containers, and I am going to try it out. Thanks so much for the tip.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Looks like a great idea. Though the ones on Amazon at 3.4oz might be tricky with airport security.
The limit here at least is 100 ml and these are 100.5
Yeh I know....... But I think the rule is it must be 'under' 100 ml to take with cabin luggage.

Looks like a great idea. Though the ones on Amazon at 3.4oz might be tricky with airport security.
The limit here at least is 100 ml and these are 100.5
Yeh I know....... But I think the rule is it must be 'under' 100 ml to take with cabin luggage.
She did say there were some that were 80 grams.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
They look interesting. I’m always on the lookout for lightweight travel tips. Any idea about the weight of the containers because for me weight is more important than volume?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
An alternative is this:
I use empty 35 mm film containers (the ones we all used before the advent of digital cameras). They weigh about 9 grams empty and about 25 grams full of cream.

I like the bright colours ... less likely to leave my shampoo in the shower unintentionally.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I hope you all think that I am a bit of a downer here but if you want to cut your 'walking weight' why not just go on a diet for a week or so before you go?

Not a downer and it is good advice, but having a lighter pack also helps as well.

What a clever idea! These pouches are typically filled with kid’s snack food, often watery fruit purées and they are easy to rinse out. Here in France they all seem to be the same size, 90 grams, which is a bit over 3 oz. Empty, they are 7 grams, or 0.2 oz. Although the opening is small I think they could easily work for shampoo or other lotions.
When refilled, they hold under 100 ml of liquid and fit comfortably in a one litre bag, meeting carry on baggage restrictions — see photo.

Now when can I go again so I can try all these things out?

Attachments

• 59E4AAD8-B04A-41A7-8327-5E0FE7A0BC7E.jpeg
    59E4AAD8-B04A-41A7-8327-5E0FE7A0BC7E.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 17
  • 53AEBF3B-305E-4868-BB8D-91D0EBA2B4BD.jpeg
    53AEBF3B-305E-4868-BB8D-91D0EBA2B4BD.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 16
Found these in a corner shop in Moscow. Absolutely perfect, twice as many shampoo and conditioner as I usually take with me in small bottles.

Going to use them for my next three-week trip to Italy starting this Friday, and they I'll try refilling them to see how this will work. @PaulCat, thank you again for the great idea!:)

Attachments

• photo_2018-02-27_19-37-08.jpg
    photo_2018-02-27_19-37-08.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 26
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I use an almost identical set of containers I bought at REI - they work great - just make sure the top is snapped tight shut!

As a woman with long hair I understand the need for shampoo vs. a general soap BUT why carry all the water that's in your shampoo and conditioner? There are lots shampoo bars out there that would last longer and weigh less.
I got the idea to make my own - evaporate my usual conditioning shampoo into a solid over my old fashioned radiator this winter and it worked great! FYI - 16 oz of shampoo now weighs less than 1 oz. and the two bars are still drying.
IMG_20180303_091954.jpg

DIY "liquid" travel containers. If you travel with a bit of conditioner or other liquid this might be useful. I am going to try this and take my stuff to the gym and see how it works.

Also if you don't want to DIY I found these on Amazon

Enjoy!
I finally limited the weight of all kinds of little liquids by using one bar of super lavender soap for EVERYTHING. And it worked. For laundry, me, my hair and whatever else needed washing. And it smelled good which definitely helps!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have bought these shampoo leaves. Weighs a few grams, has 50 shampoo leaves. You put one leaf in your palm, add water and lather on hair. 1520115039084420169072.jpg

@Selina Ward a good idea but don't rely on it. I've tried them and found that a bit of moisture inevitably gets inside, from my hands or the atmosphere, and the next thing the leaves are all stuck together and un-useable. It becomes a little lump of soap.

My plan was to hold them in a tiny snaplock bag and take a leaf out and into a tiny snaplock to take to the shower, so i wont have the container anywhere near the wet areas. Hopefully it's worth a try.

Nothing lost. After all, Spain is the land of beautiful Castille soap - so an easy solution if they don't work.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.