• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

This is Exciting! My Shoes and Backpack are purchased! Training begins!

Dan the Man

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, 2015, 2017, 2019
I just had to say again THANKS all for your advice and everyone's 2 cents worth! I have connected with some very cool people already.

I went to Sail in Toronto yesterday to look at their backpacks and shoes. The salesperson spent TONS of time with me on the backpack, then brought me to the shoe department. I narrowed down my backpack choices to 2 after he did some back measurements, had me try multiple packs, and guided me through the features of each. He had me load up both pack options I was considering with weight and shop in the store. My choice became obvious based upon pure comfort. I then went to look at shoes and made my purchase there with my merino wool socks and my orthotics on. I am ready to train, Merrell shoes and my Gregory backpack! LOL Poles are my next weekend's purchase!

I still have to figure out my starting point. I have been drawn to this camino for the last 9 years. Of course back then, I had no torn disc issues in my back. I have this feeling that I need to see and spend a night in SJPDP. I dont know wy but I know that my gut says for me to start there. I have chatted with some of you about just starting in Pamplona and not risking a problem so early on.

Currently, I plan to start either August 26 or September 3rd. I am just watching flight prices right now. I am also checking out European cities to fly into that make getting to SJPDP easy. Someone mentioned Dublin and that actually has good connections flights to Biarritz.

I am considering the Valcarlos route. I am also considering and looking into 1 of the following choices below. Does anyone have advice on either?

a) Start and spend a day in SJPDP and walk to the Auberge Orisson. I can stay overnight and see how I feel. If I feel it may be too much, I could cab to Roncesvalles??

b) Start and spend a day in SJPDP and simply bus to Roncesvalles and begin my first days of walking from there? Is that easy to do?

My back has been perfectly fine for months now. I just think a really tough climb on day 1 may not be the best idea? Maybe I need to get the SJPDP starting point out of my head too.

Thanks,
Dan

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I just had to say again THANKS all for your advice and everyone's 2 cents worth! I have connected with some very cool people already.

I went to Sail in Toronto yesterday to look at their backpacks and shoes. The salesperson spent TONS of time with me on the backpack, then brought me to the shoe department. I narrowed down my backpack choices to 2 after he did some back measurements, had me try multiple packs, and guided me through the features of each. He had me load up both pack options I was considering with weight and shop in the store. My choice became obvious based upon pure comfort. I then went to look at shoes and made my purchase there with my merino wool socks and my orthotics on. I am ready to train, Merrell shoes and my Gregory backpack! LOL Poles are my next weekend's purchase!

I still have to figure out my starting point. I have been drawn to this camino for the last 9 years. Of course back then, I had no torn disc issues in my back. I have this feeling that I need to see and spend a night in SJPDP. I dont know wy but I know that my gut says for me to start there. I have chatted with some of you about just starting in Pamplona and not risking a problem so early on.

Currently, I plan to start either August 26 or September 3rd. I am just watching flight prices right now. I am also checking out European cities to fly into that make getting to SJPDP easy. Someone mentioned Dublin and that actually has good connections flights to Biarritz.

I am considering the Valcarlos route. I am also considering and looking into 1 of the following choices below. Does anyone have advice on either?

a) Start and spend a day in SJPDP and walk to the Auberge Orisson. I can stay overnight and see how I feel. If I feel it may be too much, I could cab to Roncesvalles??

b) Start and spend a day in SJPDP and simply bus to Roncesvalles and begin my first days of walking from there? Is that easy to do?

My back has been perfectly fine for months now. I just think a really tough climb on day 1 may not be the best idea? Maybe I need to get the SJPDP starting point out of my head too.

Thanks,
Dan
Hi Dan, welcome to this wonderful forum family. Albergue Orisson will be great for the first day ( about 8,0 km. ) , I do the same in 6 days. When everything whent well i will walk day 2 till Auritz or Espinal. We will see. !! Wish you wel and a Buen Camino, Peter.

WestJet flies into Dublin, and then Ryanair to Biarritz. I have been checking that out for October, but double-check the availability of Dublin-Biarritz; it may not be daily.
And we are planning the stop at Orisson to break up a difficult first day or two. I wouldn't want to risk injury so early on.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Thanks,
Dan
Hi Dan,
I am sure you have seen the videos posted in one of your earlier threads. The climb is not that hard. But it is a long stage if you do it in one go. I can understand your concerns now given your back. But the Nepolion route is stunning. It is easily doable by breaking at Orisson. If you want send your pack ahead and walk with a 'daypack'.

I started from sjdp with a 10kg pack. When i reached Orisson, just had to stay. It is such a beautiful spot to enjoy the Pyrenees with some good French cuisine. But do book a room as you are going during a busy period. Then i saw backpack transport service for 5 euro. Next day i had my pack transported and carried only a sandwitch prepared by the alberque and water. If your back does not complain, you can continue to carry your pack. Know that the backpack transport service is available all along the Camino.

Hi Dan
For the walk over the PYrenese on first day, you could send your pack ahead to your chosen accommodation by taxi or other transport.
It is very easy to arrange from SJDP.

My 2 cents. Orisson is worth the stay. It is a lovely way to start slowly and you will make friends that you will keep for the duration of your walk and beyond.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Thanks,
Dan

The walk to Orisson is a steep little jaunt, even though it sounds like a short way. The view is beautiful though and the staff there were wonderful. I would request a room in the main building (not below the road near the sheep). If you do end up in the lower rooms, make sure to take a bottom bunk as the roof leaked on my friend when we were there, lol.

If you need to cab or bus, then cab or bus. Don't let anyone make you feel like you have to push yourself past what your body tells you to. That being said, don't miss SJPP, basque country was honestly my favourite part of the entire trip. The walk from Orisson to Roncesvalles was the most intense of my entire camino, but if you walk to Orisson and then cab to Roncesvalles you will still experience the beauty of the Pyrenees. Burgos to Leon offers plenty of country-side to skip, ;)

If you are still unclear on how to get to SJPP feel free to message for more specific advice. Personally we flew into Madrid, bussed to Pamplona and were picked up by Istvan, the owner of Corazon Puro, spent the night with them and then in the morning they took us to SJPP. Corazon Puro was by far my favourite place on the camino, Istvan is a remarkable human being. We booked into the auberge du pelerin in SJPP, which I would also recommend.Spain 108.JPG Spain 108.JPG

Dan,

The walk from SJPP takes 3-3.5 hours. A short first day. If you want that, great. What we did was just walk to Orrison the same day we got to SJPP. Made the next day easier.

Ultreia.
Jo Jo

Hello Dan,

I assume that you are like me with back pain issues; when I walk and exercise consistently I feel great. However, I always remember that my back needs to be respected and not abused - don't overdue it.

You seem to have a good feel for things; do what you feel good about and enjoy it. Consider your level of fitness and makes allowances for yourself if you have not been walking long distances. However, it does not take too long for naturally athletic people to find their groove hiking. There are no prizes for long distances repeatedly done, but there can be consequences.

Doucement,

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Thanks,
Dan
I understand completely. I had hoped to go last year then again this year. Totalled my knee and I also suffer from stenosis because of severe back issues. BUT! I am finally planning again. I think I watch The Way at least once every couple of months, and I am constantly looking for similar movies such as Wild and Tracks. I am always reading thinking or watching something about walking but the Camino is definitely my destination. Recently I have been watching the T.V program Walking the Nile. I am addicted to it. The Camino has been calling me for about 5 years and now again I have the Camino on my mind every hour of every day. 2016 is my year. I will prepare and train this year and plan on either Spring or early Summer. I am proud of you for going through the back issues and doing it anyway. GOOD ON YOU! Buen Camino!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Thanks,
Dan
Oh and go around...there is an easier rout around the mountain from SJPDP...its not as taxing and can be done much more safely, in my opinion, for those of us doing this with back/knee injuries. Check out your guide books for the alternative route to Roncesvalles.

I have done both routes. Although the Valcarlos route is not as taxing as the first day on the Napoleon route, I found the second part of the next day really hard. The views are not as spectacular as on the Napoleon route but it is a beautiful route as well.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I have done both routes. Although the Valcarlos route is not as taxing as the first day on the Napoleon route, I found the second part of the next day really hard. The views are not as spectacular as on the Napoleon route but it is a beautiful route as well.
Ooo why was it hard the second day....is it the hill? I have often wondered about it?

Yes the hill! The section before you get to the church at Ibaneta is really steep. We met a guy coming down from Ibaneta, (walking the opposite direction just before steep part starts, he was on his way to Rome), he greeted us and said "good luck"!

I, too, am stuck on the horns of this particular dilemma, viz: Orisson (Napoleon) or Valcarlos (Charlemagne)?
and I, too, have a cr@p back (4 cracked and/or collapsed vertebrae, now 60mm shorter than heretofore!)
Do I late Spring, end of April 2016, weather permitting:
1) Spend day one doing the 8km uphill to Orisson and then, next day, take on the final uphill push and then the downhill (I've got good ankles) to Roncevalles
or
2) Go flattish to Valcarlos on day one and then, day two, face the long uphill slog to Roncevalles
or
Is it really just a case of tossing a coin with the end result, with either route, being just the same?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I was thinking maybe what I needed to do was just take it slow and camp out if need be. OOO gonna take a raking over the coals here but I do plan on bringing a tent so that I can not have to deal with the bustle all the time. Maybe I could just break it down a little more. And who knows... Slow and steady wins the race...if there really is a race. I know there are certain stretches one is told to complete per day but I'm not sure I plan on following that either. I do have to be careful more than most with my back...and Lord knows what it will be like with a pack but I don't mind stretching it out a little. I also hear that walking poles are an excellent choice for those of us with bad knees and back so maybe that will help some too. And at the end of the day...one can always make that decision upon arrival. Taking it day by day is not a bad thing.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.