• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

This is how I feel about Spanish food (sorry)

A pata negra de bellota will go for about 80€ per kg. Multiply this by the number ok kg in a leg, perhaps 7 or 8, and you can decide how much you like your friend.

And they don't feed only on bellota, only, if they are "de bellota", during their last two months of life.

Below is the ultimate sketch that explains the different ways iberico is clasified, based on the breed and feed. Remember this and you are all set. There was a similar table at the ham museum in Monesterio.

https://www.google.ca/search?client...2i10i30i19k1.bT_DPRR5sxw#imgrc=nm_XQTHTdHMNjM:
He's a very good friend. The price is borderline for my budget. Definitely a wedding present but you gave me a good idea. I will try and find a friend of his & it can be a present from both of us.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
He's a very good friend. The price is borderline for my budget. Definitely a wedding present but you gave me a good idea. I will try and find a friend of his & it can be a present from both of us.
So you are loking for the black lable. Easy to remember: like the black belt, the very top.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We just finished the Primitivo. I'm a boring, fussy eater so my opinion will not count. My wife ate the nice foods but we often, for my sake, just pop into a supermarket and buy food to be prepared at the albergues and also snacks which we ate in park with drinks. And because I'm a big beer lover, I love the beers and especially the reasonable price in the supermarkets.:))

Last edited:
New Orleans barbecue shrimp anyone?
Roux is ubiquitous in Cajun/Creole cuisine -- gumbos, etouffes, etc. After we moved to SoCal I had to learn to make a good roux; it's quite tricky, and some good cooks - including my favorite aunt - just can't seem to do it.

It's been said that, when learning that their son is thinking of marriage, New Orleans mothers ask the same three questions: (1) Who's her momma, (2) Is she Catholic, and (3) Can she make a roux.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I used to know people who could get you a prime Canadian Haggis in New Jersey for January 25th.
BTW isn't Spam the national dish of Hawaii:-?
one may not call it the national dish, exactly, but it certainly is the state comfort food.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If you feel that eating a "non perfect" meal is suffering, then don't eat...
We'll talk eachother after a few days :)
I did not say eating a non perfect meal was suffering.
I did say there is no need to suffer unnecessarily. There is a difference.
In other words if there is a better meal to be had not too far away and for not too much more money? Might as well have a go at it :)

I did not say eating a non perfect meal was suffering.
I did say there is no need to suffer unnecessarily. There is a difference.
In other words if there is a better meal to be had not too far away and for not too much more money? Might as well have a go at it :)

Exactly..and like already is said...follow the locals!

one may not call it the national dish, exactly, but it certainly is the state comfort food.
I thought haggis was a Scottish dish?
Not that it matters to me. I'm Scottish, English, German & both sides of the Irish

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I thought haggis was a Scottish dish?
Not that it matters to me. I'm Scottish, English, German & both sides of the Irish

This does stray off the subject of Spanish cuisine (somewhere along the line I am looking forward to trying Paella while I am there.... also churros...)
Haggis is a Scottish dish, made of several parts of a sheep (waste not, want not) that tend to make the unintiated rather queasy. It is also illegal in the USA. So are Kinder Eggs, but I digress.

Spam. however, with all its components of mystery meat, is quite legal and thus one of the great mysteries of out Time.

Each of our national cuisines have things that others find strange. Cod Cheeks, anyone?

This does stray off the subject of Spanish cuisine (somewhere along the line I am looking forward to trying Paella while I am there.... also churros...)
?

Hi AbbyDee, churros you may find.... Paellla, on the other hand.... I hope our Spanish members correct me if I'm wrong but...it isn't a dish that I have ever found on the Camino francés... I was once served a frozen seafood paella because the others wanted to try it but it doesn't do the dish justice. Bears no resemblance to the real thing. (Maybe I'm just fussy :eek::D)
If you want to eat well, stick to the local dishes ;)
Buen camino.

Paellla, on the other hand.... I hope our Spanish members correct me if I'm wrong but...it isn't a dish that I have ever found on the Camino francés... .
Forum rumour has it that in Hontanas their seems to be some sort of informal paella competition, with many albergues serving it. It's not because a dish is more common in an area that it cannot be well prepared 300 or 500 km away.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi AbbyDee, churros you may find.... Paellla, on the other hand.... I hope our Spanish members correct me if I'm wrong but...it isn't a dish that I have ever found on the Camino francés... I was once served a frozen seafood paella because the others wanted to try it but it doesn't do the dish justice. Bears no resemblance to the real thing. (Maybe I'm just fussy :eek::D)
Buen camino.

Who knows? I may find it.... or not :) There is always pulpo. and from the many books I have read, there seems to be a contingent of peregrinos who did their caminos powered by cafe con leche, chocolate croissants, bocadillos and Coke Zero (his main complaint was that if you needed ice for an injury, there was ice aplenty, but very miserly in your soft drinks) and one guy who scavenged his way along on the leftovers in the albergue kitchens. (he was on a very limited budget) And one (he was in Leon at the time) who waxed ecstatic over dipping his churro in chocolate.

I am sure whatever I find wherever will be an adventure!

Who knows? I may find it.... or not :) There is always pulpo. and from the many books I have read, there seems to be a contingent of peregrinos who did their caminos powered by cafe con leche, chocolate croissants, bocadillos and Coke Zero (his main complaint was that if you needed ice for an injury, there was ice aplenty, but very miserly in your soft drinks) and one guy who scavenged his way along on the leftovers in the albergue kitchens. (he was on a very limited budget) And one (he was in Leon at the time) who waxed ecstatic over dipping his churro in chocolate.

I am sure whatever I find wherever will be an adventure!

Chocolate con churros is indeed something else! :cool:
My husband on the Camino thrives on cafe con leche, napolitanas and....cerveza (grande, of course) :rolleyes::D
I'm just boring and love cafe solo and bocadillo de tortilla de patatas.

Buen provecho and...buen camino! :)

Buen camino.
I've heard that paella originally comes from Valencia region. Again, Spanish members, please explain/correct.

But I can swear that the best seafood for me (pulpo as first choice of course) was in Galicia.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
In my opinion prosciutto di parma is slightly better than Jamon Serrano but the best is Jamon iberico by far.
Iberico ham is also expensive in Spain.
Serrano is the best value for the money.

All excellent, though personally my favourite is a good Parisian cooked ham, except that most sadly it's near impossible to find even in France, whereas the "mostly OK", and average or poor quality variants are everywhere ; so that even for the French, either an Italian, Spanish, or French raw or smoked ham will be the best available. Freshly-cooked ham is even harder to find !!

But a good Parisian cooked ham served simply with some young boiled potatoes sprinkled with a little black pepper and olive oil, perhaps salt to taste, yummy !

---

I've lost weight on every Camino, sometimes a great deal of it ; but not on the Way to Rome, where despite the 25 to 65 K hiking days, I gained about 5 kilos, as the food really is just that amazing, and they provide it so generously too ...

---

I've only rarely had a pilgrim menu or menu del dia or single course meal with vino tinto or whatever to dislike on the Camino -- I like a good pilgrim menu, perhaps because food on the Way most days consists of a little bread plus a variety of fillings + fruit and veg, from what's available and what I feel like, so the menu del peregrino seems like an enjoyable change rather than the same old day after day as I've heard some describe it.

The "bread plus" diet is BTW hands down superior in France to either Spain or Italy -- the French sausages and cheeses and hams and pâtés and terrines and etc etc are simply amazing once you've worked out how to choose between them for both daily variety and local variations, and although the Spanish and especially Italian veg and fruit tends to be better when you buy locally, the French aren't bad with theirs either. The Italian version of the "bread plus" diet anyway is simply called a pizza. :p

HORSE meat? My ancestors relished it, second only to buffalo. I'm a bit surprised that it can be found on modern menus.

When it's tender it can be great, but quite frequently it can be way too tough.

I've eaten it in school lunch in both Catalonia and France.

Paellla, on the other hand.... I hope our Spanish members correct me if I'm wrong but...it isn't a dish that I have ever found on the Camino francés... I was once served a frozen seafood paella because the others wanted to try it but it doesn't do the dish justice. Bears no resemblance to the real thing. (Maybe I'm just fussy :eek::D)

Not too fussy no :p --- if you keep your eyes peeled, you can occasionally find freshly made paella all along the Camino from Menton on the Italian border and most of the way to Santiago -- though I'm really not sure I'd look for any in Galicia. Closer to Italy it might be a bit dodgy, though certainly not as bad as the frozen version ; but it steadily improves in quality, I've found, as you head towards Spain, even if it's been prepared in a supermarket or a local food market stall. These sorts of "paella specials" exist in Spain too along the Camino, though you should never count on them being there, but in Spain it would be wiser to seek one of the few genuine paella joints on the Camino that I've heard about, but never visited. My advice anyway would be to never order a paella unless you can see beforehand that it's really on the menu, and not sitting in a freezer. Avoid it completely outside Spain and the South of France.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
What concerns me about ordering Paella on the Camino is that it appears at your table within fifteen minutes - so, yes, must be frozen pre-prepared I guess.

If it doesn't appear almost instantly (because they sell a lot of it and have prepared it just before opening time), or if they don't politely warn you you'll need to wait for it, that's the strongest sign it's not freshly made.

I do tend never to order paella unless I can see with my own eyes that it's fresh.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If it doesn't appear almost instantly (because they sell a lot of it and have prepared it just before opening time), or if they don't politely warn you you'll need to wait for it, that's the strongest sign it's not freshly made.

I do tend never to order paella unless I can see with my own eyes that it's fresh.

For those of you who start from Valencia, then YESSS, go for paella ;) But there are also so many other good dishes in Valencia... Fish stew, fish soup... They're just annoying as their cooking is pretty good! :D
I also had fantastic sea food (fish and shellfish I had never even heard of) in Santander, I guess the Camino del Norte must be pretty special food-wise :cool:
I know I go on (but then I'm French :rolleyes::D), go with the local specialities wherever you are. It is always exquisite (if to your taste!)
Don't do like the French do and order steak and chips and then complain it isn't as good as in France! :D

Buen camino to all and... Buen provecho! Bon appétit !

I've heard that paella originally comes from Valencia region. Again, Spanish members, please explain/correct.
Sushi comes from Japan, but I can still get excellent sushi at home :), and I hear Morimoto does a pretty good job with his Japanese cuisine in the US. That is what recipes are for. Whether from Valencia or not, people follow recipes, and use the same ingredients.

But I can swear that the best seafood for me (pulpo as first choice of course) was in Galicia.
Last year in Madrid my friend made what he told me was authentic Valencian paella. Chicken & rabbit. His girlfriend from Valencia helped him make it. Not sure what else went into the dish (I was out for a walk when they put it together )
I do know he was a little upset by what Jamie Oliver considers Paella while another friend up in La Coruna could care less.
They have both told me generally speaking the best seafood is up in Galicia. The best overall food in San Sebastian.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Last year in Madrid my friend made what he told me was authentic Valencian paella. Chicken & rabbit. His girlfriend from Valencia helped him make it. Not sure what else went into the dish (I was out for a walk when they put it together )
I do know he was a little upset by what Jamie Oliver considers Paella while another friend up in La Coruna could care less.
They have both told me generally speaking the best seafood is up in Galicia. The best overall food in San Sebastian.
When I ate it paella de Valencia contained also seafood and chorizo. I googled and found this recipee:
http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/paella-valencia
which confirms that. But as we say here not every village and every house in the village prepare food the same way. That makes cuisine diverse and interesting.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
When I ate it paella de Valencia contained also seafood and chorizo. I googled and found this recipee:
which confirms that. But as we say here not every village and every house in the village prepare food the same way. That makes cuisine diverse and interesting.

My mum used to make a simple chicken, spring onion, and white mushrooms paella for lunch on school days in Catalonia -- never had anything quite like it since (it was a local recipe from the grocer's wife), and likely never will

Generally, I'll eat almost anything that doesn't eat me first. To my sorrow, however, I discovered that my system cannot tolerate Jamón, either Serrano or Iberico. Because they're dry-cured and not cooked, they're just too oily.

I agree; be they in Barcelona, Seville, Ronda, Granada, Cordoba, Toledo or wherever, tapas are marvelous.

Hey there, hearing about Ronda, my place of birth, in this site make me smile, due it´s far from the Caminos.
I agree, tapas are marvelous. :) But, I think you dind´t try a good jamon. A good iberico is not oily. o_O
Buen Camino and ¡Buen apetito!

€46,-
Hello, moderators? Can we find an XXX rating for vegetarians for threads like this? ¡Dios mío! The things you folks eat! Brings the topic full circle for me, a lover of Spain and the Camino, but NOT of its food!

In Ponferrada while volunteering my Spanish cohort cooked the best meals, especially his Paella. In Rabanal male co-warden prepared excellent salad dressing. And, in a teeny town just beyond Fromista two Spanish peregrinos prepared dinner, in our albergue, and insisted I join them. In a resturant in Cizur Menor, I had mouth watering cheesecake courtesy of three priests. When, I think on it many of my meals and foodstuffs on pilgrimage were either cooked or supplied by men. Um. Now, that some years have past and my lithe physique has been replaced by a steroid-induced Rubenesque one, I wonder if my spoiled times of yore are now truly a thing of the past. Even if that becomes that case next time out, I will eat well, and munch on as much Manchego cheese as Santiago allows.

When I ate it paella de Valencia contained also seafood and chorizo.
But as we say here not every village and every house in the village prepare food the same way. That makes cuisine diverse and interesting.

Yes, the Umami from seafood (especially shellfish) give it character. Aside from Rice and Saffron, clams or mussels preferably both are also default for my paella; then the "stuff" - squid, chicken, crabs, Chorizo Bilbao, fish, shrimp, etc.; whatever is available. Titled paella like Paella Mariscos or Paella Negra or Paella Valenciana are best eaten in Spain to ensure authenticity.;)

... authentic Valencian paella. Chicken & rabbit. His girlfriend from Valencia helped him make it.

I ate fried rabbit (like fried chicken) only once, near Valencia - with a pitcher of iced Sangria - in 1979 (Madrededios, so previous lifetime). :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hey there, hearing about Ronda, my place of birth, in this site make me smile, due it´s far from the Caminos.
I agree, tapas are marvelous. :) But, I think you dind´t try a good jamon. A good iberico is not oily. o_O
Buen Camino and ¡Buen apetito!
Yep, we were touring southern Spain on our own. We arrived in Ronda (after getting seriously lost in the hill country) from Seville and continued southward from there to the coast.

We're going back one of these days, hopefully sooner rather than later. About the jamon: after two bad experiences in a row I'll not be trying it again. I may talk slow, my friend, but I don't think slow.;)

Last edited:
Yep, we were touring southern Spain on our own. We arrived in Ronda (after getting seriously lost in the hill country) from Seville and continued southward from there to the coast.

We're going back one of these days, hopefully sooner rather than later. About the jamon: after two bad experiences in a row I'll not be trying it again. I may talk slow, my friend, but I don't think slow.;)
:D I don't see slow!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Paella even made it to the New World. Its living descendant is found today, along the Gulf Coast.

Anybody ever heard of jambalaya? It's essentially paella, modified with Cajun and Caribbean flavors/ingredients. Like paella, jambalaya is more a style of cooking than a specific dish; one includes what one has on hand.

Just watch some fish cooking tv show. Paella made with hallibutmona bed on Italian rice, cilantro and habanero....

Purists ... nah, I don't feel sorry... as long as one knows what the original is, and the derivatives Not unlike walking around with a tourist shell on...:cool:

Just watch some fish cooking tv show. Paella made with hallibutmona bed on Italian rice, cilantro and habanero....

Purists ... nah, I don't feel sorry... as long as one knows what the original is, and the derivatives Not unlike walking around with a tourist shell on...:cool:
What is hallibutmona?
Italian rice? risotto?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Cajun food along with barbecue is pretty much the closest thing we have to true American cuisine.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Paella even made it to the New World. Its living descendant is found today, along the Gulf Coast.
... and the Far East too. "Valenciana" or "Arroz Valenciana" our local version of Paella Valenciana is a special-occasion dish served in Panay Island (4 provinces), Philippines. Although I grew up there accepting it as local food, I wonder why it cannot be found as local food in other islands as well.

Instead of the short grain non-sticky variety of rice that absorbs a lot of water, local sticky rice is used. What we get is a lump of yellow sticky rice embedded with "stuff"- the usual chicken, pork, liver, etc. cooked in an oversized wok. Instead of Saffron, Annato (Achiote-Spanish or Atsuete-Pilipino) is used. The result is a dish that needs "ten centavos more" to taste like Paella Valenciana. It's almost there.;)

I learned that Latin American Paella uses Achiote. Our Atsuete must have come from there since the Philippines was ruled by Spain via the Viceroy of Mexico for 3 centuries.

... paella... is more a style of cooking than a specific dish;
Agree! :)

Attachments

• upload_2017-7-10_18-46-21.png
    upload_2017-7-10_18-46-21.png
    185.1 KB · Views: 11
Hello, moderators? Can we find an XXX rating for vegetarians for threads like this? ¡Dios mío! The things you folks eat! Brings the topic full circle for me, a lover of Spain and the Camino, but NOT of its food!
In most places along the Camino Frances, you will need to get a short way off the route to find good Spanish food. For example in Ponferrada a short walk over the bridge there is a super little restaurant (Meson Luisi) where the tables are taken up by locals! Not a pilgrim in sight. The food is excellent - you would probably find something to suit even if you are vegetarian!

Buen Provecho!
Tio Tel

Anybody ever heard of jambalaya? It's essentially paella, modified with Cajun and Caribbean flavors/ingredients. Like paella, jambalaya is more a style of cooking than a specific dish; one includes what one has on hand.
From the more-than-you-ever-wanted-to-know department:

My own jambalaya recipe sautés onion, bell pepper and celery -- commonly called the trinity along the Gulf Coast -- with ham cubes and just a touch of cayenne pepper, thyme and coriander, and some black pepper and salt, in some type of oil. (I prefer peanut oil because of its higher smoke-point.) We add garlic to the pot shortly before dumping in the liquid and long-grain white rice -- don't want it to burn.

If we're using chicken, we sauté it beforehand until it turns white. We remove it from the pot, then dump it back in when we add the rice. Don't want to overcook it, you see.

We wait until the rice is nearly done before adding the tomatoes, seafood and sausage. (Jambalaya always contains some type of sausage.) Then, just before taking the pot off the heat, I typically stir in a can of fully-drained corn. This is a personal touch; most folks don't do it.

Then I serve it with southern-style buttermilk cornbread. ("Southern-style" means that it contains absolutely no sugar; sugar makes it taste like cake, AND causes it to fall apart if you even look at it the wrong way.) Yum-yum!

Last edited:
It will be my honour to guide you around.

And as ever : eternal gratitude for what the generation of your dad did for all of us.

Thank you, from the son of a half-blood Mississippi country boy.

Here's "the rest of the story" as the late Paul Harvey would have said:

My father didn't enlist out of patriotic fervor, but out of necessity. He enlisted shortly after his 21st birthday in 1939, simply because he needed a job. The state of Mississippi was still in the grasp of the Great Depression, and Uncle Sam was just about the only organization that was hiring.

He had been in the Field Artillery for nearly two years before the War began. So, when the Army needed a training cadre to help create another artillery unit, he was one of the first in line. The rest, as they say, is history.

Last edited:
Here's "the rest of the story" as the late Paul Harvey would have said:

My father didn't enlist out of patriotic fervor, but out of necessity. He enlisted in 1939, shortly after his 21st birthday, simply because he needed a job. In 1939 the state of Mississippi was still in the grasp of the Great Depression, and Uncle Sam was just about the only organization that was hiring.

Can't 'like ' your post. A sad but poignant example of life and history....

It depends where you eat. I know that after a splendid menu del dia (mid afternoon ) ., definitely no room for dinner. I always return home without weight loss !! I wonder why?
It's certainly great value., you must admit.
Annie

I love the spanish food. It is ver y ver y good ! I love the coffe, the Bread, the Caña (beer), the wine (Albariño) and the pulpo !!!

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Food on the camino did its job and I was so hungry that I appreciated each and every meal. But after a few weeks I was craved vegtables and a plain piece of meat. I lost 18 pounds abd dropped two sizes in clothing, but gained on size in shoes.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
We just returned home from watching our second total solar eclipse here in the U.S. in 7 years. Our next is in 20 years. We have become hooked on the magical, mystical, moving unique experience...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back