• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

This is how I feel about Spanish food (sorry)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Italian is good, they should have more pilgrim routes.
Spanish is fine if you like fish and snacking.
And Indian is the best for vegetarians.

In my generally very hungry opinion.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I love the food in Spain and having travelled the world all my working life, I love the food everywhere. I sometimes find English food so very boring, but again each to their own

It depends where you eat. I know that after a splendid menu del dia (mid afternoon ) ., definitely no room for dinner. I always return home without weight loss !! I wonder why?
It's certainly great value., you must admit.
Annie
I enjoyed the pilgrim meals and the menu del dias the first week, but tired of them well before I got to Santiago. On my first Camino I ate mosly tienda picnic lunches and lost ten pounds. On my 2nd and 3rd Caminos I only lost 2 pounds! Very dissappointing, but I was with different family members who loved the big meals, and a different route with fewer options to purchase groceries...Oh, and I eventually tired of the morning tortilla and desired a full blown breakfast of fried eggs, bacon and toasted Spanish bread far too often. No wonder the scale made me sad when I weighed in after returning home.:(

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
On my first four Caminos, I lost from 15-20 pounds (7-9 kg) over the month or so I was walking. However, on my last Camino, this May, I did not lose any weight...hmmm?

Typically, I return home noticeably thinner. Everyone compliments me on my recent Camino accomplishment, and on how well I look. Then, like clockwork and lost airline baggage, BAM! the weight magically finds me again.

Funny thing, that,..

Paul calls me a gastrogrina , I guess because I post a lot about the food I eat on the Camino... (now in Arzua)....
I truly don't get the complaints.

I feel you don't like the menu de dia, spend a few Euros extra and design your own plates.... but also be prepared to pay for your own drinks...

I was told the other day that an establishment has to have permission to offer a menu de dia and that it has to conform to certain foods... (no idea how factual this is)

Buen Camino

Last edited:
An English person is posting this thread? Hee hee, just saying.
(Well, we all have opinions and preferences. And if we can laugh at them no-one starts wars...)
But just wondering, David...have you ever had good Tapas? Try the ones at Bar Gaucho next time you roll through Pamplona and see if you still don't like Spanish food.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Generally, I'll eat almost anything that doesn't eat me first. To my sorrow, however, I discovered that my system cannot tolerate Jamón, either Serrano or Iberico. Because they're dry-cured and not cooked, they're just too oily.

I agree; be they in Barcelona, Seville, Ronda, Granada, Cordoba, Toledo or wherever, tapas are marvelous.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I could eat prosciutto all day long, so hoping Iberian ham is similar. It's shockingly expensive here in the US, and harder to find than prosciutto, though. I enjoy lots of small plates, grazing throughout the day, so local cuisine sounds lovely. Plus all that good cheese. And wine. Yum!
In my opinion prosciutto di parma is slightly better than Jamon Serrano but the best is Jamon iberico by far.
Iberico ham is also expensive in Spain.
Serrano is the best value for the money.

Generally, I'll eat almost anything that doesn't eat me first. To my sorrow, however, I discovered that my system cannot tolerate Jamón, either Serrano or Iberico. Because they're dry-cured and not cooked, they're just too oily.

I agree; be they in Barcelona, Seville, Ronda, Granada, Cordoba, Toledo or wherever, tapas are marvelous.
Well there is always cecina de caballo...no fat

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Pata negra de bellotas is as good as it gets, and as expensive as it gets. Not too salty quite marbled. But the stuff ypu find in grocery stores, prepackaged, does the job for delicious sandwiches. You may also be able to find chunks of serrano: a bit hard on the dentures, but keeps in your backpack for days and is good protein to snack on when the body starts to weaken.

In summer, boxed gazpacho is also yummy. Dia makes a good one they keep in the refrigerator. I have also taster another brand, found on the shelf, that was so so.

Listen, when I travel by car in the US all I seem to find in Mc Donald's, Craker Barell (apparently they sell food?), Red Barn, Denys, TGIF and what ever else comes in chains aiming for profit, not taste, quality oe "experience". So if you chose to be taken in by the tourist/pilgrim tailored "pilgrim menu", you have noone to blame but yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

I ate far more tapas on the Norte, my favorites probably in San Sabastian and Bilbao. Very high quality ones were available more often, sitting on the counters of most bars, from lunch onward, even in the smaller villages. It was so nice to point to exactly what I wanted, rather than have quite a few "surprise" del dias appear at my table since my Spanish is very limited.

HORSE meat? My ancestors relished it, second only to buffalo. I'm a bit surprised that it can be found on modern menus.

Yup, last time I passed through Roncesvalles one of the bar-restaurants there offered 'foal burger'. I passed that one - horses for courses I guess (sorry for the extremely bad pun!). Buen Camino, SY

PS I do love Spanish cuisine, but the idea of eating horse meat ... let's just say I couldn't do it!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
This quote goes beyond the realm of food, but it's all in the same spirit:

"Heaven is where the police are British, the lovers French, the mechanics German, the chefs Italian, and it is all organized by the Swiss.
Hell is where the police are German, the lovers Swiss, the mechanics French, the chefs British, and it is all organized by the Italians."

In fairness, I'll leave it my continental friends to insert where we Americans fit into either category.

American road food can be a bit limited, especially as you get into the more rural areas. Like anyplace, you have to do a little research ahead of time and learn about the local specialties (awesome barbecue in some areas of the country, fresh seafood in others, and so on), and then get off the beaten path. We'll try to do some of that along the Camino, schedule permitting, of course. We've allowed several "free days" to rest, restore and explore a bit over the course of the Camino, so hopefully we can find some great local dining spots.

If one limits his/her choices to what one can find at the exits of the US Interstate Highway system, it is a bit limited. However, if one should remember the lessons learned from the Camino -- if one should wander into some of the many small towns that exist just off of the Interstate, and take a meal at the City Cafe, one is likely to have a considerably different experience.

To be quite clear, they're not all called the "City Cafe;" they go by very many names. But they're there. Just look for all the local vehicles - usually pickup trucks - parked around it. The menu is composed of mostly-local foodstuffs. The food is fresh, and hot, and plentiful, and its abso-danged-lutely delicious!

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Come over to Belgium and I'll take you to the best horse steak restaurant !
O dear, now you've done it!

My next (non-Camino) Europe trip will be to re-trace my father's footsteps, as a young American soldier, thru WWII Europe. He was with Patton's Third Army, so he wound up knee-deep in Belgium.

We'll call before we ring your doorbell. :D:D:D;)

My next (non-Camino) Europe trip will be to re-trace my father's footsteps, as a young American soldier, thru WWII Europe. He was with Patton's Third Army, so he wound up knee-deep in Belgium.

It will be my honour to guide you around.

And as ever : eternal gratitude for what the generation of your dad did for all of us.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
American road food can be a bit limited, especially as you get into the more rural areas. Like anyplace, you have to do a little research ahead of time and learn about the local specialties...
My point exactly. The OP probably has made as much effort fiding a decent meal than I do in the US from travelling on highways from point A to point B in the middle of nowhere.

Okay, this all-American girl is NOT eating horsemeat. Sorry. I suppose that's species-ist, or something, but I would imagine it's awfully tough anyway.

Nope. Properly prepared it's tender and o-so-nice. In my older years I have found that beef is incredibly difficult to digest. I am a native-born (Native) American, and I simply don't know why the American culture values beef so much.

... yes, always look for the place the locals eat...!

To do that, one simply must get one's as-pirations off of the main highways and out to the roads and streets where the real folks live...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Come over to Belgium and I'll take you to the best horse steak restaurant !
Ah, Belgium, where eating well is the national sport. Seriously, even if the most remote little place in Belgium, I have never had a so-so meal. And the decor and quality of the Reataurants in Brussels... yummy. Pricey, but yummy: three course dinner, not inclusing wine, would cost the equaivalent of C$100. Only the Chinese place was less, and that was C$50!

@Jersey,

Isn't prosciutto di parma also considerably drier than Spanish jamón?
The prosciutto is definitely dryer than the Iberico.
To be honest not sure about the Serrano. My guess would be yes.
Few years back picked my buddy up at Newark airport, he was coming in from Madrid. I'm waiting waiting finally he comes out from customs.
Sweat dripping off his face & looking all disheveled. I ask him what's the matter. He tells me " the airport police discovered my Spanish ham " lol
They put him through the ringer for a half pound of ham.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yup, last time I passed through Roncesvalles one of the bar-restaurants there offered 'foal burger'. I passed that one - horses for courses I guess (sorry for the extremely bad pun!). Buen Camino, SY

PS I do love Spanish cuisine, but the idea of eating horse meat ... let's just say I couldn't do it!

Ah yes - remember all those lovely shaggy horses all through that area? They're not all being bred as little girls' ponies! ;):(:eek: Some 2015 stats from the Spanish government on equine agriculture...

And I agree with you, I think I'd pass on the hamburguesa de potro too!

Ah, Belgium, where eating well is the national sport. Seriously, even if the most remote little place in Belgium, I have never had a so-so meal. And the decor and quality of the Reataurants in Brussels... yummy. Pricey, but yummy: three course dinner, not inclusing wine, would cost the equaivalent of C$100. Only the Chinese place was less, and that was C$50!
It's not exactly fair to compare the 8€-10€, three-course pilgrims' menu, including wine, to either of those. While definitely not gourmet dining, in two Caminos I've only had one pilgrims' menu dinner that I considered really bad. It's hard to screw up french fries :D.

It's not exactly fair to compare the 8€-10€, three-course pilgrims' menu, including wine, to either of those. While definitely not gourmet dining, in two Caminos I've only had one pilgrims' menu dinner that I considered really bad. It's hard to screw up french fries :D.
Not comparing them, just remembering how well one eats in Belgium. But even in small neighbourhoods eateries you could not go wrong, and those were 10€ or so. In fact I had company vouchers for 10€ per day that I could spend at the grocery store or restaurants since my company did not have a cafeteria. Could even use ot to buy alcohol at the geocery store! Ah, the good old days.

Pilgrim menus are a tourist trap. Ypu choose to fall in it, you're problem. So many other inexpensive options out there.

Half a pound? I hope he sat there amd ate ot in front of them.
I imagine he lost any appetite he might have had when he got caught lying.
Getting caught bringing raw meat into the USA can get you into some hot water if they want to bust your chops.

I used to know people who could get you a prime Canadian Haggis in New Jersey for January 25th.
BTW isn't Spam the national dish of Hawaii:-?

Not comparing them, just remembering how well one eats in Belgium. But even in small neighbourhoods eateries you could not go wrong, and those were 10€ or so. In fact I had company vouchers for 10€ per day that I could spend at the grocery store or restaurants since my company did not have a cafeteria. Could even use ot to buy alcohol at the geocery store! Ah, the good old days.

Pilgrim menus are a tourist trap. Ypu choose to fall in it, you're problem. So many other inexpensive options out there.
I mostly fell into the tourist trap of ordering pilgrim menus or del dias. If I looked around, I'd see locals eating more interesting and unusual fare and I'm not talking at any high end places. Unfortunately since I speak very little Spanish I didn't know other options were readily available and when I asked to look at a menu I had little understanding. I did try to use my google translate, but often it didn't work for the menus very often. Those of you on the forum who speak rather fluent Spanish are in a much better situation to improve your meals! Lucky you. :rolleyes:

Those of you on the forum who speak rather fluent Spanish are in a much better situation to improve your meals! Lucky you. :rolleyes:
I can understand. When it comes to types of fish or seafood I often have no clue, as Spain often has different names for these than Mexico, which I am more used to. So Google comes along. As long as I know what the protein is, and if the food os fried or not, I am happy.

Well, this OP was obviously failing again at doing humour :(

The absolutely BEST restaurant I have eaten in in Spain is in a narrow lane in Burgos near the cathedral. When we went in it was only locals in there, joyful chatty happy laughing people - the buzz was extraordinary. The restaurant section was closed off by a wooden barrier but when we stood by the bar a little confused they immediately sent us through the barrier and gave us the last table - service was brilliant, so cheerful and friendly and helpful - we all ended up hugging each other when we left - and the food was stunning, really stunning .. nothing frozen, all fresh and cooked fresh .. one of the early dishes I had was black pudding and I had to complain - that England was the home of black pudding and theirs - a Burgos recipe - was better than ours. When we praised the main dish they went off and brought the chef out of the galley - she was so pleased. Prices were very good - as was the wine, not expensive at all - and their house red was excellent, a fairly local wine 'typical of the region'.

I'm not sure if I should tell anyone, don't want to ruin it, it has been there and mainly missed by tourists, for 59 years ... oh, ok - Casa Pancho, Calle San Lorenzo, 13-15
http://barpancho.com/barpancho.php

As for 'British' food, by which we all mean English food I think. all that stuff about how awful it is dates from the Second World War - our cuisine is excellent, we have British chefs opening top restaurants all over the world - unlike the French we don't over cook our vegetables for a start! I say again, our cuisine is wonderful - though you do have to go to real restaurants to find it.

Last edited:
As for 'British' food, by which we all mean English food I think. all that stuff about how awful it is dates from the Second World War - our cuisine is excellent, we have British chefs opening top restaurants all over the world - unlike the French we don't over cook our vegetables for a start! I say again, our cuisine is wonderful - though you do have to go to real restaurants to find it.

Haha, your sense of humour again, I see. I won't get caught this time ;):D Bon appétit!

Since I have the terrible shellfish allergy, I tend to say away from all seafood/fish if I can't read every single word on the menu. I'm sure it's wonderful, but it's not going to be fun for my dining companions if they have to whip out the Epi-pen and call an ambulance. :eek:

I also miss out on a lot of Spanish dishes as I don't eat any sea food that is an exoskeleton - no shells, or armoured creatures such as lobster, crays, etc.

Since I have the terrible shellfish allergy, I tend to say away from all seafood/fish if I can't read every single word on the menu. I'm sure it's wonderful, but it's not going to be fun for my dining companions if they have to whip out the Epi-pen and call an ambulance. :eek:
Good luck finding a single restaurant that does not prepare some aort of fish or seafood. Even in albergues I would be very careful as people don't necessarily give dishes and utensils a good cleaning. I have friends with allergies, and know how careful they have to be, not only about what they order, but what may have come in contact with their order.

What a great idea. I wish I was able to do the same. I had 3 uncles in WWII. ( one resting comfortably in Arlington who served in WWII, Korea & Vietnam )
One of my big regrets is never trying to talk to them about the war.
My dad served in Korea on a navy destroyer. Never in harms way so nothing much to talk about.
My hats off to your dad

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I could eat prosciutto all day long, so hoping Iberian ham is similar. It's shockingly expensive here in the US, and harder to find than prosciutto, though. I enjoy lots of small plates, grazing throughout the day, so local cuisine sounds lovely. Plus all that good cheese. And wine. Yum!

Jamon Serrano is very similar, stop by a Carrefour or other Supermercados, and you'll see full legs at various prices, the cheapest was €35 for the whole leg! I wish I could have taken one home with me.

David...have you ever had good Tapas? Try the ones at Bar Gaucho next time you roll through Pamplona and see if you still don't like Spanish food.

“¡Tapas!
Aquí no hay tapas. No, no, no!
Tapas es más de Madrid, del sur, eh!
Aquí estamos en Navarra. En Navarra son los pintxos, eh!
Las tapas y los pintxos pase lo mismo, pero, pero no lo es.
La tapa viene con un plato grande, eh!
Los pintxos vienen como platos separados, mas pequeñitos,
más trabajados en una presentación. "

- The Way, Pamplona restaurant scene

As the "Mole" (in the movie "Atlantis") would say, "I can't rezist." :D:D:D

The best meals I experienced were the communal dinners that some of the abergues provided. I agree that the pilgrim menus were not usually very good, but if I saw a lentil or bean soup, that was usually very tasty. The wine was also very nice. I learned very quickly to avoid the very overcooked spaghetti, with two exceptions, the Ermità di San Nicolas and San Bruno in Moratinos, both run by Italians. Going out for Tapas / Pinchos was also fun. I did not care much for the jamon, although I tried it in many places. I found it a bit tough and rather stringy. I'll stick with prosciutto. Although I didn't love the pilgrim menus, I tried to keep in mind that it is a difficult balancing act to provide copious amounts of food for hungry pilgrims for 10€. Many pilgrims would not be able to afford to make the journey if they had to order from a regular menu every day. For me, it also meant that I didn't have to shop, cook, and clean up. Meeting new people and socialising at lunch or dinner was worth the less than memorable meals.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It depends where you eat. I know that after a splendid menu del dia (mid afternoon ) ., definitely no room for dinner. I always return home without weight loss !! I wonder why?
It's certainly great value., you must admit.
Annie
Hi Annie - I managed to loose 4 or more kgs on the camino. Now I have to buy new pants. See you soon. Mike

Jamon Serrano is very similar, stop by a Carrefour or other Supermercados, and you'll see full legs at various prices, the cheapest was €35 for the whole leg! I wish I could have taken one home with me.

Yes, I love Jamon Serrano. Toast bread (slice) on glowing embers, rub it with a clove of garlic, lace with olive oil out of a porron, and slap on a slice or 2 or 3 of Jamon Serrano and goat cheese; with lots of olives, tomate, and Cava.
It was like €30 the cheapest leg in a tienda-de-jamon in Granada in 2000; or was that Jamon Iberico? I wanted to bring home a leg too but who wants to lug a leg around Europe for 5 weeks (before flying home)?

Airline limits on baggage will be tricky this time. :)

We had picnic lunches and often either cooked for ourselves (and others) in the albergues or ate out in nearby restaurants getting a menu (dia or perigrino). The food was good in some restaurants, not-so-good in others. But we loved the cheese! And the chocolate in Spain! My son loves pulpo! And in Burgos, we had a celebratory dinner and had a wonderful meal of roast lamb. -- So, cheese, bread, oranges, chocolate... Life is good. And oh yes, Wine!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The photo of that fish, above, has scared me!

Re legs of ham seen in supermarkets and so on - I have always wondered ... which type should one buy? Are they cured all the way through - as in, how does one keep them? Do you hang it up at home and it lasts until it is gone? cover it somehow to keep insects off? Or keep it in the fridge? Does it have an 'eat by' time limit? Sorry to be naive but would like to know as they have always intrigued me, carnivore that I am.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Take one leg of ham, complete with trotter; place on an old table/chopping block; take one axe and cut ham as required! We wish we had had the camera out at one of the private places we stayed in 2012. (He did then change to using a knife to make small slices.)
This year we watched a ham being sliced wafer thin with a carving knife - it was for a wedding party at our hotel; and yes we were offered some too :) and it was cured right through.
In one bar some of the hams had temperature gauges in, presumably to ensure that they were keeping OK.
The hams in the photo were in Santiago.

Attachments

• hams.JPG
    hams.JPG
    175.5 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
What a great idea. I wish I was able to do the same.
Fortunately I have a copy of his unit's history from its formation (my father was part of the training cadre) all the way through the war. It lists (almost) every place they went. Some of them no longer exist, so part of the fun will be working with the locals to figure things out.

Like most combat veterans he would never talk about his experiences -- other than for the silly, funny or stupid things that happened.

Lol, reminds me of the stories our fellow east coast ex-pats tell of getting Taylor ham to California...although that's not illegal, as long as it's in your checked luggage.
We here in Jersey prefer to call it Pork Roll lol
I should have added I have another friend who has brought Iberico ham undetected into the USA. Twice. Possibly the dogs at JFK to not have as good a sense of smell as the ones at Newark airport? LOL
But this is the important part. Sliced ham does not travel well in packed luggage on long flights.

IMG_0853.JPG
The photo of that fish, above, has scared me!

Re legs of ham seen in supermarkets and so on - I have always wondered ... which type should one buy? Are they cured all the way through - as in, how does one keep them? Do you hang it up at home and it lasts until it is gone? cover it somehow to keep insects off? Or keep it in the fridge? Does it have an 'eat by' time limit? Sorry to be naive but would like to know as they have always intrigued me, carnivore that I am.
A friend of mine just keeps the ham leg on his kitchen counter in a contraption very similar to this one.

I mostly fell into the tourist trap of ordering pilgrim menus or del dias. If I looked around, I'd see locals eating more interesting and unusual fare and I'm not talking at any high end places. Unfortunately since I speak very little Spanish I didn't know other options were readily available and when I asked to look at a menu I had little understanding. I did try to use my google translate, but often it didn't work for the menus very often. Those of you on the forum who speak rather fluent Spanish are in a much better situation to improve your meals! Lucky you. :rolleyes:
You must ask for the carta, not the menu if you wish to order individual items. We started the camino in Roncesvalles, and we did not learn this simple fact until we reached Viana. Thereafter we had better food.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
On my recent (abandoned) camino, we found the best restaurant by following some of the bank tellers at lunchtime. Spanish lunchtime (about 2pm). They disappeared into a little dark doorway behind which we found a cavernous dinning room full of locals.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
On my recent (abandoned) camino, we found the best restaurant by following some of the bank tellers at lunchtime. Spanish lunchtime (about 2pm). They disappeared into a little dark doorway behind which we found a cavernous dinning room full of locals.

Yes. Don't mind the carpet of used wax paper and sticks on the floor in front of the tapas bar. They are supposed to be dropped nonchalantly after being used to transfer the tapa from plate to mouth. ;) (smoke-filled tapas bar outside Madrid)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I ate very well on the Camino, a few were even guia Michelin. Some peregrino meals were truly delicious (especially when it was home cooked), but most were boring. Realistically, for 10 euros restauranters would have to cut corners if they were going to serve three courses with wine. So, I found that if you want better quality food, you just have to pay a little more.

I am very disapointed that you cannot get Spam Fritters anywher on the Camino(s) even the Ingles where you used to get more Scandinavians walking the route!
Just having to put up with low quality Pork, Veal, Beef and Seafood really makes my blood boil.
Ha ha

I ate very well on the Camino, a few were even guia Michelin. Some peregrino meals were truly delicious (especially when it was home cooked), but most were boring. Realistically, for 10 euros restauranters would have to cut corners if they were going to serve three courses with wine. So, I found that if you want better quality food, you just have to pay a little more.
Good point on the cost factor.
I believe Casa Marcelo ( the restaurant in Santiago that Christian recommended) has a Michelin star. I believe most folks do not appreciate the cost involved in top quality ingredients

Some ridiculous comments on this thread, I have to say. Spanish food is, on the whole, excellent. Just because you prefer fast food or just because you don't know anything else apart from what you find on the ubiquitous 'menú del peregrino' does not mean that you can categorise Spanish food as poor. The original video is meant as a joke, I take it. I hope so, anyway.

I had excellent food on both my caminos, but then I rarely ate the peregrino meals. In Betanzos, we had the Tortilla de Betanzos at Meson o Pote, which is a yummy variation on the traditional tortilla. And we had a ridiculously good dinner in Ferrol at O Camino do Ingles - it was not inexpensive but really, Michelin star worthy. And the most perfect bocadillo de atun in Morgade - perfect amount of oil from the tuna and juice from the tomato moistening the bread...

An English person is posting this thread? Hee hee, just saying.
(Well, we all have opinions and preferences. And if we can laugh at them no-one starts wars...)
But just wondering, David...have you ever had good Tapas? Try the ones at Bar Gaucho next time you roll through Pamplona and see if you still don't like Spanish food.
I hear you! We had some of the best pinchos in Pamplona along our journey. Unfortunately, we did not see many peregrinos along the narrow street full of pincho bars off of the main plaza. Bar Guacho was awesome.

Good point on the cost factor.
I believe Casa Marcelo ( the restaurant in Santiago that Christian recommended) has a Michelin star. I believe most folks do not appreciate the cost involved in top quality ingredients
Ahhhh, now I get it thank you! When so many rwcommended Casa Marcelo I didn't get it, because thought they were refering to Casa Manolo. I wonder how many others also manke that mistake. o_O

I know - everyone raves about it .. but whenever I eat on Camino I feel like this (though here it is Mexican food)

Enjoy!! :):)

A few years ago, in a bar in Malaga, I heard an elderly Englishman exclaim:

"I can't stand all this foreign muck, first thing I'll do when I get back home is have a decent Ruby Murray!" . . .

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

I've found this (or the like, marble or thick wood plate) prosciutto stand most convenient:
https://www.google.si/search?q=kava...VEEJoKHfXyCHgQ_AUIBigB&biw=1366&bih=633&dpr=1

Keep your ham at room temp (not 45C Extremadura temps maybe) covered with a dish towel.
Ditto!
And if not "ripe" (dry) enough for your taste keep it in the fridge until desired dryness.

Must admit being a pescitarian i lived off salads and spanish omlettes or went to the supermarket and bought instant noodles, tho lots of bread and jam too, got back to find i didnt put any weight on

[/QUOTE]

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I've found this (or the like, marble or thick wood plate) prosciutto stand most convenient:
https://www.google.si/search?q=kavaleta+za+pršut&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj92OvzjOnUAhVEEJoKHfXyCHgQ_AUIBigB&biw=1366&bih=633&dpr=1

Ditto!
And if not "ripe" (dry) enough for your taste keep it in the fridge until desired dryness.
As a side note. Iberico ham is supposed to be good for our cholesterol levels because of the acorns they feed the pigs where as the other hams don't have this advantage
( but taste almost as good ) :)

As a side note. Iberico ham is supposed to be good for our cholesterol levels because of the acorns they feed the pigs where as the other hams don't have this advantage
( but taste almost as good ) :)
Usually "they" do not feed them but rather let them feed themselves in dehesas (oak forests). You have red and black label depending on feeding. I did some googling and found out something I didn' know:
  • The next grade is called jamón ibérico cebo de campo. This ham is from pigs that are pastured and fed a combination of acorns and grain. As of 2014, this ham bears a green label.
  • The third type is called jamón ibérico de cebo, or simply, jamón ibérico. This ham is from pigs that are fed only grain. The ham is cured for 24 months. As of 2014, this ham bears a white label.

Usually "they" do not feed them but rather let them feed themselves in dehesas (oak forests). You have red and black label depending on feeding. I did some googling and found out something I didn' know:
  • The next grade is called jamón ibérico cebo de campo. This ham is from pigs that are pastured and fed a combination of acorns and grain. As of 2014, this ham bears a green label.
  • The third type is called jamón ibérico de cebo, or simply, jamón ibérico. This ham is from pigs that are fed only grain. The ham is cured for 24 months. As of 2014, this ham bears a white label.
So the red label are the ones who feed themselves in the forest on I would guess mostly acorns?
Any idea the price for a leg of the red or green?
After my Camino I'm heading down to Valencia for my friends 40th birthday in August and I'm racking my brain for a great gift.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
So the red label are the ones who feed themselves in the forest on I would guess mostly acorns?
Any idea the price for a leg of the red or green?
After my Camino I'm heading down to Valencia for my friends 40th birthday in August and I'm racking my brain for a great gift.
A pata negra de bellota will go for about 80€ per kg. Multiply this by the number ok kg in a leg, perhaps 7 or 8, and you can decide how much you like your friend.

And they don't feed only on bellota, only, if they are "de bellota", during their last two months of life.

Below is the ultimate sketch that explains the different ways iberico is clasified, based on the breed and feed. Remember this and you are all set. There was a similar table at the ham museum in Monesterio.

https://www.google.ca/search?client...2i10i30i19k1.bT_DPRR5sxw#imgrc=nm_XQTHTdHMNjM:

Last edited by a moderator:

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Forgive me if already in a thread somewhere, but any search for the above brings up basically every post ever written! Did anyone get to see the premiere? Dying to know what it's like as the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back