• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

This is not your normal forum! (A grateful thread)

Time of past OR future Camino
Yearly and Various 2014-2019
Via Monastica 2022
This year in the space of three months I had the good fortune of meeting a number of forum members face to face. In each case it was a delight - either to put a face to a name for those I'd not met before, and to deepen friendships with those I already knew.

It no longer surprises me that people 'out there' are the same as they are here. Of course, perceptions are naturally more three-dimensional and vivid in 'real life' than they are here, but I've never experienced the surprise of dissonance. All my meetings with other forum members this year and in past years felt 'seamless' - just the continuation of an existing relationship in real time and in the physical realm.

That seamlessness extends to the sense of community that is so strongly fostered here. We often speak of the Forum as a virtual albergue and it very much is. We share the joys and challenges of the road, both on the Camino itself as well as on the more challenging camino of life. We may not always agree here , and sometimes the disagreements are strong and strongly worded. But in spite of this, we are here for each other in the same way as fellow pilgrims are when actually walking.
Coming from all backgrounds and many countries around the world.

Things being what they are today this is no small thing to be grateful for.

Thank you everyone, for being here.
Thank you to the hard-working moderators who remind us to be civil when we forget.
And thank you to Ivar for getting the ball rolling in the first place, and for keeping it rolling behind the scenes.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I agree completely. I too have had the good fortune to meet many people from this forum and it is always a delightful experience and I feel as if I already know them.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Seriously speaking... yes, vnwalking. Yes actually, to everything you have said here just now. True, and so simple. If I can add a tiny piece: not for the first time yesterday, looking around me when I was waiting somewhere, I looked and saw again that we wear who are and who we are becoming, in every gesture, how we stand and walk and act, react and interact. That is also true here, as you say, in this forum, a sort of virtual albergue. Thanks for your words of encouragement to us all to try to become who we really want to see when we look in the virtual mirror!

I have to admit that I was inspired to write what I did as a 'reset,' after writing a too-sharp response to @Morgan Holmes in the cell phone manners thread. It was she who got me to sit back and reflect that the forum (and the camino, and life) can bring out the best in us and the worst in us all - and in doing that I was remembering meeting and being inspired by all the very good people here, that I've met in the flesh or not.

It's hot. And maybe we're all more grumpy than usual. Thank you all for your words of encouragement -
to try to become who we really want to see when we look in the virtual mirror!
(I couldn't have said it better, @kirkie...we all lift each other up, on a good day...;))

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
What a lovely thread, @VNwalking, I couldn't agree more. I've met quite a few forum members in recent years and it feels like catching up with an old friend, rather than meeting a stranger.

I've been very busy lately with work and family commitments, but it's always a joy to dip in and out of the forum when I can. I love seeing the excited posts from those preparing for their first Camino and the generous and helpful advice from those who've done it before. We've much to be grateful for in this happy little place!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
This year in the space of three months I had the good fortune of meeting a number of forum members face to face. In each case it was a delight - either to put a face to a name for those I'd not met before, and to deepen friendships with those I already knew.

It no longer surprises me that people 'out there' are the same as they are here. Of course, perceptions are naturally more three-dimensional and vivid in 'real life' than they are here, but I've never experienced the surprise of dissonance. All my meetings with other forum members this year and in past years felt 'seamless' - just the continuation of an existing relationship in real time and in the physical realm.

That seamlessness extends to the sense of community that is so strongly fostered here. We often speak of the Forum as a virtual albergue and it very much is. We share the joys and challenges of the road, both on the Camino itself as well as on the more challenging camino of life. We may not always agree here , and sometimes the disagreements are strong and strongly worded. But in spite of this, we are here for each other in the same way as fellow pilgrims are when actually walking.

Thank you to the hard-working moderators who remind us to be civil when we forget.
And thank you to Ivar for getting the ball rolling in the first place, and for keeping it rolling behind the scenes.
Thank you VNwalking
Such wise, true and lovely words.

Like yourself, I had the good fortune to meet two wonderful forum members.
One....a lady from California who stayed with us in London for 10 days, on her way to the Camino
Then a meeting with a lady in Dublin....who has recently given a lot of encouragement and kind words

Both...ongoing friendships with frequent communication
And we will meet again
So......it's never too late to make friends ....from whatever direction they come!!

And yes,the word seamless comes to mind

With thanks and best wishes
Annette

Where else in the virtual world do we experience this opportunity to do safely lay our soul bare? No wonder we feel we already know people before we ever get to meet them . Even if our paths should never cross, we still walked in the same places , and through this forum can affirm our connection.

During my two weeks of volunteer work in Santiago I had the pleasure to meet several forum members .
And meeting you in Rotterdam was very special for me.
It's nice to talk with each other face to face.
And as you know , the first day traveling home was special and emotional. The reactions I got from forum members made my day. That's make this forum special.
Wish you all the very best , Peter .

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
@VNwalking what a lovely thread to begin my morning! I think this forum exemplifies the best in all of us as pilgrims. I am always so touched by how willingly people offer ideas and support to others. I'm returning to the Camino Frances in September; I would love nothing better than to cross paths with people on this forum. Thanks to Ivar, the moderators and all of you!

Thank you @VNwalking for posting these generous and compassionate words.
I can't add anything really because you captivated my emotions perfectly.

I am proud to call myself a friend to some of you! You guys know who I mean.
And I am very much looking forward meeting some of you in the ( near ) future.
Very grateful.

it feels like catching up with an old friend, rather than meeting a stranger.
Exactly. You put it better than I, Nuala, and in fewer words. :cool:
I would love nothing better than to cross paths with people on this forum.
Start in Santiago with @SYates at Egeria House and @natefaith at Pilgrim House. Other than that It's luck of the draw. And you may meet people without knowing it. I've met a couple of Forum members without being aware of it in the moment - only figuring that out later. And who knows how many we've all met out there without ever knowing it?
meeting you in Rotterdam was very special for me.
Same, Peter, same.
Very grateful.
Oh, yes. That's the flavor of the day, here, after reading everyone's replies.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
the Forum as a virtual albergue and it very much is. We share the joys and challenges of the road, both on the Camino itself as well as on the more challenging camino of life.
love this quote...I never though of this being a 'virtual albergue' ...and yes, now I'm back home and at work, it's very much about the camino of life.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yes, it is a fine description of the forum, and if I may say so, of this thread! Describe a virtual albergue... and by the hokey, it will have to have many mansions to house all of our menagerie! Ready, steady, go! (sorry: this is not in the Not a Seruous thread thread, so i have to draw a line through it)

Love.png

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have on occasion meet people from the forum in the flesh and it's always been a plus! Camino Gen was the first. I will always remember her with great fondness and a smile. Then it was Silly Doll aka Sylvia from S.A., someone whose advice and information has been a great help over the years.

One other thing I am eternally grateful for is being able to come here to the forum with a question, that in the "outside" world would be meet with negativity. When I tell others I'm having PF issues and struggling to train etc (such as I do now!) they immediately assume I'm canning my plans. Only here do you meet others who promptly have advice AND encouragement. People here understand that yes it is possible to walk with difficulties. Here your not viewed s completely mad (well...perhaps because we're all a bit mad!)

SO thanks to all the pilgrims here who have made my walks possible! Gracias. And to Camino Gen who will always be rushing ahead of me with a smile and her lovely purple socks!

All true! I am a member of a virtual Caff that hides under a snooker table BTL of a famous crossword puzzle site. We've become friends across the globe and have Gatherings in real life- parties, hikes, museum jaunts., dog walkings, wakes ..many have been wishing me bon chemin but so far I've yet to persuade anyone to come along. I love these virtual communities.

As I head out from Burgos in a month, I, too, hope to meet forum members on the Way. My pack has LURCH velcroed to the back so if you see me say Hello as you pass. I have read so many posts from so many members that I feel like we are a "band of brothers & sisters". If we meet at an alburgue for the night, I look forward to conversations with others. Supposedly I have PTSD from my occupations, but this forum has assisted mightily and the Camino should finish the job. So Buen Camino to you all and may you Vaya con Dios!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Buen Camino @Lurch. May it bring you all it's best surprises. PTSD isn't rare among the good people in this place. Lots know where you are coming from and will be sending you good wishes.

Flying out of Las Vegas, if'n I can get past the ranks of one-armed bandits. Thank you...you have no idea how comments like this bring up one's spirits, although truthfully, they are already elevated, getting ready. At my age, I know better than to tackle the Pyrenees, at least this trip, so will start from Burgos on the 22nd .

Semper fi my friend and thanks again for the comment!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Slow? Probably just American!

Virtual, come on you know that.
Caff - Cafe in Cockney English
Snooker Table- snooker is a game rather like pool. ( I don't play it, but that is my assumption).
BTL- below the line, ie the comment section after articles
the famous newspaper? not saying.

and you did have your tongue firmly clenched (albeit painlessly) between your teeth, didn't you?!

the Caff is where we have silly fun, something this thread seems adept at as well.

I still don't really get it, even though you translated the acronym. See? I AM slow.;)
But we do get your point, which is the point. And it's true!
you did have your tongue firmly clenched (albeit painlessly) between your teeth, didn't you?!
Well, mostly, But I'm OAOOT, so terrible at acronyms. o_O

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I still don't really get it, even though you translated the acronym. See? I AM slow.;)
But we do get your point, which is the point. And it's true!

Well, mostly, But I'm OAOOT, so terrible at acronyms. o_O

Okay .... I’m going to ask ... since I’m obviously OAOOT too (‘cause I haven’t a clue what this means ;)) and I’d like to know what it is that I am ...
Likewise what it is that you are ...

thankful? oh yes. for this thread. for being able to breathe, and think, and smile, and see people, and carry other people's concerns and joys and sorrows with me, and try to lighten their load a little bit. for the Indian summer's day we are having. and thinking of all those walking, or planning to walk, or regretting that their camino has ended, too soon: the camino won't run away. buen camino!

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back