• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

this is probably a dumb question, but...

douce-chemin

Time of past OR future Camino
new to the camino, hoping to walk a section of camino norte in August 2016
So my friend and I have booked our flights, booked our accommodations in Biarritz and then in SJdPP, but now what??!!

I have yet to buy a map of the camino (we're just doing 5 days from SJdPP), but how does one, especially one who is VERY directionally challenged actually find the trail? I feel very embarrassed asking this, but at the same time I can't seem to find any posts specific to this question... Am I safe to assume that there is sufficient signage to point one out of their hotel/hostel/auberge/pension to the trail head? How about in larger cities like Pamplona for example? How does one get from their accommodation tot he trail head in the morning?

Please forgive me this question, perhaps it's obvious and I'm simply too obtuse to have figured it out. Perhaps this all will be reveled when I buy a guide map?

As always, this Camino newbie appreciates all your advice, tips and encouragement!

Merci!!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Just this morning I was working on a Stage 1 resource and I have a map partly done. It is up on the gpsvisualizer.com website for just a little while. Get it while it is still there. It is an interactive map with zooming, panning and changes of base layer (Google street, ariel, hybrid, OpenStreetMap, OpenTopoMap, etc.) It is a modification from the GPX resource that this forum keeps.

To view it use this URL:
http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/display/20160217085546-33222-map.html

To download it use this URL:
http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/download/20160217085546-33222-map.html

Welcome to the Forum. The trail is well marked with yellow arrows of scallop shell signs so you will not need a map. There will also be loads of pilgrims leaving St Jean every morning so just follow on.
Have a great Camino.
Buen Camino.
thank you, so we are staying at Hotel Camou in Uhart-Cize (just West of SJdPP), is there a central meeting place in SJdPP where Pilgrims gather each morning? I would love for our first day to join some pilgrims for the adventure (and to avoid getting lost ha!) - please feel free to be as specific as possible - greatly appreciated!

For pilgrim gathering the Pilgrim office is a great spot at 39 rue de La Citadelle which is on the CF. Early morning walking west along the rue de La Citadelle towards the church and the Porte d'Espagne is also a busy place with happy pilgrims moving off at last. I have always loved that view at daybreak!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
thank you, so we are staying at Hotel Camou in Uhart-Cize (just West of SJdPP), is there a central meeting place in SJdPP where Pilgrims gather each morning? I would love for our first day to join some pilgrims for the adventure (and to avoid getting lost ha!) - please feel free to be as specific as possible - greatly appreciated!
Make your way to the Pilgrim Office on Rue Citadelle to get registered and have your credential stamped and you can leave from there. On the map below the red route is the Napoleon, the yellow is the Valcarlos. The Napoleon is closed until April 1st. The red arrow shows the location of the Pilgrim Office.
Ashampoo_Snap_2016.02.17_17h59m18s_003_.png

So my friend and I have booked our flights, booked our accommodations in Biarritz and then in SJdPP, but now what??!!

I have yet to buy a map of the camino (we're just doing 5 days from SJdPP), but how does one, especially one who is VERY directionally challenged actually find the trail? I feel very embarrassed asking this, but at the same time I can't seem to find any posts specific to this question... Am I safe to assume that there is sufficient signage to point one out of their hotel/hostel/auberge/pension to the trail head? How about in larger cities like Pamplona for example? How does one get from their accommodation tot he trail head in the morning?

Please forgive me this question, perhaps it's obvious and I'm simply too obtuse to have figured it out. Perhaps this all will be reveled when I buy a guide map?

As always, this Camino newbie appreciates all your advice, tips and encouragement!

Merci!!!
Hi, first there are no dumb questions .
As already stated you don't need a map.
The yellow arrows are all over the place.
Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Merci!!!
No, you defenitely won't get lost in sjpdp. Watch out for Burgos however. Some years ago we came out of wherever we were staying and as I am an expert at reading maps! I said we should turn right and off we went. 2 hours and about 6 km later, I thought and said"I recognise this place" my husband said "your mind is just playing tricks on you" ok. On we went for another 30 mins. "I defenitely know this place"says I. "Your mad" says he. Not so mad was I. Indeed We had passed this place yesterday!!! Had to get a bus back. I was so mad with myself. He never said a word bless him as he knows I am the expert in the family at reading maps. I am!!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Here is how you find the Camino in any town along the Camino Frances. Get up at 6 am. Walk to the largest church in town (it's usually on the main square). Over the next hour, watch 200 people walk by wearing backpacks, with clam shells attached, headed west. Follow them.

Last edited:
It's a great question! Once underway, whenever I would leave the route to get to an accommodation (or even just to veer off to find a store or something), I would pay very close attention at that point to where I was going (kind of like you pay really close attention when you park your car in a big parking lot/garage so you can find it again!). I would also drop a pin in my online map (I used maps.me) to show where I left the trail, just to make sure I got back to the same point in the morning. And, as basic as it sounds, when I was getting back on the route in the morning, I would look out for other pilgrims to make sure I was heading the right direction!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It's a great question! Once underway, whenever I would leave the route to get to an accommodation (or even just to veer off to find a store or something), I would pay very close attention at that point to where I was going (kind of like you pay really close attention when you park your car in a big parking lot/garage so you can find it again!). I would also drop a pin in my online map (I used maps.me) to show where I left the trail, just to make sure I got back to the same point in the morning. And, as basic as it sounds, when I was getting back on the route in the morning, I would look out for other pilgrims to make sure I was heading the right direction!
great tips!!!! thanks

Merci!!!

:)

From someone who seriously has no sense of direction and could get lost in a paper bag and still managed to walk the camino, trust me, it's hard to get lost. There are plenty of arrows. If you plan on staying anywhere that will take you off the path just pay attention where you left it and re trace your steps :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We love dumb questions...because it breaks up the monotony of answering the same question over and over again...and besides you might even get us to admit we were as lost about how the Camino works at one time...regardless I have enclosed a map of the trail from SJPDP to Roncevaux which includes pictures so it will be difficult for you to get lost on Camino at least on the first day...from Roncevaux the Camino is much easier to follow or just follow the Pilgrim in front of you if you can't find the yellow arrows. Buen Camino

Attachments

• LES PORTS DE CIZE.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 43
If you do happen to stray more than a few yards of the proper track you will probably hear lots of shouting from all the other pilgrims around you.

Don't worry, it's takes a great deal of skill and ingenuity to get lost. It's just not worth the effort, just stay with the crowd, they'll keep you on the correct track.

Bon Camino!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Merci!!!
I promise you won't get lost as long as you are alert! The trail through large cities is well marked with shells and/or arrows embedded in the sidewalks. The locals don't want pilgrims getting lost in the city!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We love dumb questions...because it breaks up the monotony of answering the same question over and over again...and besides you might even get us to admit we were as lost about how the Camino works at one time...regardless I have enclosed a map of the trail from SJPDP to Roncevaux which includes pictures so it will be difficult for you to get lost on Camino at least on the first day...from Roncevaux the Camino is much easier to follow or just follow the Pilgrim in front of you if you can't find the yellow arrows. Buen Camino

Definitely its no lack of dumb questions in this forum :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
When we arrived in a village that we were going to stay in overnight, we always did a walk in the afternoon to find the way out for the next morning. Saves trying to find the correct path in the dark.

CAMINO AQUI!!!
The locals don't want pilgrims getting lost in the city!

Leaving Roncevaux I lost the Camino six times in only two hours because of sightseeing...my first definite indication that I was lost was when a Spaniard yelled at my back, "CAMINO AQUI!!!" ("Camino Here!!!")...if you don't know any Spanish just memorize this phrase. Buen Camino

Last edited:
When we arrived in a village that we were going to stay in overnight, we always did a walk in the afternoon to find the way out for the next morning. Saves trying to find the correct path in the dark.
great simple idea :)rock of sense!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm not saying we don't get lost, or need help finding things but a little research goes a long ways, read maps, learn how to use maps, a compass, join this forum, if one is traveling to a foreign country learn a little about the country customs & courtesy
some useful phrases its not only part of the fun but also its helping one self, if some one tells you go north on this road at least one have an idea which way to go :)

zzotte

Since I don't know where I'm going therefore I'm never lost :)

I had a book with maps - I threw it away and got a better one a few days into the Camino. SJPP is pretty straightforward - and you can just follow the Peregrinos. Or ask pretty much anyone, anywhere along the Camino. Look for the conchas in the sidewalk, or the arrows painted on trees or along a brick retaining wall or spray painted on trees. The first few days everyone is asking and everyone looks a bit lost. The people of SJPP are accustomed to hollering out to people who are headed the wrong way and guiding them back out to the trail.
And know that even with all that...you will wander off the trail every so often - caught up in conversation or sightseeing or in search of some coffee or lost in thought or gazing at a view.
There is an actual term for what happens to your brain as you start looking for the arrows and conchas. My brain can't remember what it is - but after a few days you will see those arrows without trying. To this day I see them all over France and Spain and scattered around Europe in places I have been to many times and never noticed before.

CAMINO AQUI!!!

Leaving Roncevaux I lost the Camino six times in only two hours because of sightseeing...my first definite indication that I was lost was when a Spaniard yelled at my back, "CAMINO AQUI!!!" ("Camino Here!!!")...if you don't know any Spanish just memorize this phrase. Buen Camino

Oh how wonderful!!! I laughed my head off at this!!!! Ta!! I am totally "directionally challenged" and am so heartened to hear the queston and all the responses to this !!!!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Leaving Roncevaux I lost the Camino six times in only two hours because of sightseeing...my first definite indication that I was lost was when a Spaniard yelled at my back, "CAMINO AQUI!!!" ("Camino Here!!!")

In Pamplona an arrow had us turn a corner. We turned and kept heading down the street. A fellow sitting outside a bar turned us around with a point and a "vaya". The corner arrow was to get us to turn down the street and walk just a few meters to turn again to use a crosswalk heading in our original direction. Many crosswalks in Spain are farther from the road intersections than at home.

A fellow pilgrim told us that when he was confused in the park at Pamplona he had a woman take his hand and then led him to the Camino.

Merci!!!
I walked my first Camino in 2013 with no guide book, no maps and no elevation charts - I did get lost a couple of times, but locals and other pilgrims got me back to the yellow arrows. It was great fun not knowing exactly what to expect!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
No, you defenitely won't get lost in sjpdp. Watch out for Burgos however. Some years ago we came out of wherever we were staying and as I am an expert at reading maps! I said we should turn right and off we went. 2 hours and about 6 km later, I thought and said"I recognise this place" my husband said "your mind is just playing tricks on you" ok. On we went for another 30 mins. "I defenitely know this place"says I. "Your mad" says he. Not so mad was I. Indeed We had passed this place yesterday!!! Had to get a bus back. I was so mad with myself. He never said a word bless him as he knows I am the expert in the family at reading maps. I am!!
For those of us from southern realms and used to looking for the sun in the north just remember that you look to the south for the sun on the Camino. Many is a time that every cell in my being screamed wrong way! as we headed off west each morning.

Again thank you all! it is such a tremendous help to come on this forum and just ask, ask, ask... and I always receive!!!!
this is the first time my friend and I will have ever done anything like this, so it's such an unknown...which is exciting and scary all at the same time - all your encouragement is greatly appreciated!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.