• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

This is totally against Camino spirit but . . .

Poshlloyd

Time of past OR future Camino
Sep 2013
I am getting a little tired of the 5am club. They wake me up with their torches and noise at 5am, then go to bed with doors closed and lights off at 8pm, so I feel uncomfortable going to and from my stuff, chilling on my bunk. And worst of all I have to do my final next day prep with the lights off!
I'm not 100% serious as I am tolerant, as everyone has their own Camino, but I expect to be able to use my room functionally till 10pm.
Rant over!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi Poshlloyd

If the room is functional till 10pm why is the light turned off at 8 pm?

Buen Camino!

Yeah, that is always a tough one. I dealt with it differently depending on my mood. Sometimes when people were in bed with the lights out at 7 or 8 I tried to respect it, but other times I just got fed up, turned the lights on and did what I needed to do. I know there are no established rules as to how early the lights go out but my personal opinion is that it should match how late they go out, which was generally 10. Plus, most people exhausted enough to sleep at 7 probably won't be too affected by lights. Or they can hang towels or sarongs from the bunk for a little extra shade.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I can understand people getting up and departing very early in the height of the summer, largely to avoid the heat later in the day, but I could not fathom why they were leaving before 6am in the pitch dark during April/May when I walked this year. There was no shortage of beds and no heat to worry about. I would be interested to know the reason why people do this - any feedback welcome.

Quite recognizable and not easily understood. As you said @Poshlloyd there is a matter of tolerance for the way other people experience their Camino. Unfortunately I experienced in the same period as @Magwood (Hi Maggie) that tolerance is not always a two-way street.

I'm not a morning person, either. That's one of the reasons I prefer tenting: go to bed and get up on your own schedule and you won't bother anyone else doing so, either.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am getting a little tired of the 5am club. They wake me up with their torches and noise at 5am, then go to bed with doors closed and lights off at 8pm, so I feel uncomfortable going to and from my stuff, chilling on my bunk. And worst of all I have to do my final next day prep with the lights off!
I'm not 100% serious as I am tolerant, as everyone has their own Camino, but I expect to be able to use my room functionally till 10pm.
Rant over!
If you need to turn the lights on and its before 10PM, by all means go ahead! Its not your fault they choose to get up at 0430 and wake the rest of us up.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I can understand people getting up and departing very early in the height of the summer, largely to avoid the heat later in the day, but I could not fathom why they were leaving before 6am in the pitch dark during April/May when I walked this year. There was no shortage of beds and no heat to worry about. I would be interested to know the reason why people do this - any feedback welcome.
I can't fathom leaving in the pitch dark, I can read terrain quite well during the day, even with a headlamp I wouldn't walk in pitch darkness, bad things happen in pitch darkness. There was a pilgrim who left at 0500 and was in a standoff with some dogs for over 90 minutes, he sure didn't save any time by leaving in the dark.

I feel the Albergue should lay down and explain the rules to everyone that books in. No lights out till ten and no torches or noise till after 7am. I love a few glasses of vino and unwind with new friends in the evening then bed at ten and not a moment before. Its what makes the Camino for me but I will tolerate the early risers if they can tolerate me shuffling to bed at ten.

i used a RED filter head lamp and a hand held. the red light helps you see better, digging in you pack etc. and will not disturb others. Other than that intrusion, get use to 50 people in a room and acting out their own personal habits. its part of the message for tolerance.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I feel the Albergue should lay down and explain the rules to everyone that books in. No lights out till ten and no torches or noise till after 7am. I love a few glasses of vino and unwind with new friends in the evening then bed at ten and not a moment before. Its what makes the Camino for me but I will tolerate the early risers if they can tolerate me shuffling to bed at ten.

The municipal albergue in Santo Domingo de la Calzada had notices that no-one should get up before 7am I think, but when I crept out of the dorm to use the loo a little before this time, I was faced with probably 20 pilgrims all scrabbling about on the central landing getting ready to leave. There are people who don't believe rules are made for them.

There were several times I turned the lights back on while I was on the camino. I had a couple people get fussy about it and I just reminded them that I had rights too and albergue rules allowed lights on until 10. If I went to bed early some days I didn't expect that others wouldn't be able to stay up. That's just silly. Also, sometimes I got up really early 5-6 and I tried to be as respectful as possible when I needed to do that. Many people who rise early fear lack of room availability if they wait too long before rising. That was a problem for the last 1/2 of the Frances in June 2013. If you have a slower pace you may need to rise early to arrive at the same time faster walkers do. People need to remember - You are staying in rooms with several people who are probably all different than you. Bring earplugs and eye masks if you are sensitive and tolerate and accept others or stay in a hotel by yourself.

Did the Camino Frances in May-July- 33 days and it seemed to me that it was generally accepted that lights out were at 10pm and lights on at 6:30 am. It is dark before then anyway and you cannot read the waymarkers. In the evening it was light outside till 10:30 pm! In the am I turned on the lights at 6;30 am as I cannot pack with just a phone glow! No one ever said anything.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Generally, the House Rule is LIGHTS OUT at 10pm. If somebody protest about lights been ON BEFORE 10 pm THEY are breaking the rule, not you....it really is quite simple.

I can't imagine myself thinking that because I'm in bed at 8 PM the lights should be out and everybody else should be quiet, despite a lights out at 10 PM rule. If I'm so tired I'm in bed that early, I can sleep with light and noise, and if I can't, maybe I'm not so tired after all.

I seriously doubt the "Camino spirit" means people should allows jerks to walk all over them. I'm of the opinion that good fences make good neighbors, as Robert Frost said.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
One 'peregrine' (bullies will always bully unless we stand up to them) got very angry with my partner (shouted at her) for waking him from his siesta in 'his' darkened shared room (12) at 3pm afternoon - yet didnt consider others when he was moving out at 0430.
From then I talked or put lights on whenever I felt like it .... no tip-toeing in the middle of the day or <9pm.
The great thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving. Wendal Holmes( The Promise of a new Day Sept 3 -Hazelden)

Rant over!
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
W.B. Yeats (1865–1939)
"He Wishes For the Cloths of Heaven"

The problem as I see it is that pilgrims all develop different sleeping/waking routines as the walk progresses. Some have siestas, some go to bed early, some late, some rise in the night and some stay under the covers until everyone is gone. What we've all got to do is be tolerant of the fact that you'll encounter the full range throughout your journey. If your rhythm is being upset and you're becoming cranky, do something about it - sleep somewhere else. I hate tenting, but after this summer, I'd seriously consider bringing one in future.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I can deal with the lights at night and early in the morning just like jploomis pointed out if you're tired you will sleep through it. It's the plastic sachet crackle after 10pm and before 6am that drives me nuts. There was one guy last year who had an aluminum foil mat he slept on, talk about an annoyance that took the prize. I suggested to someone he probably walk the Camino with an aluminum foil hat as well;)

I'm an early riser, and especially early when I travel. Not because I set an alarm, but because I'm too damn excited to sleep any more. It's not so bad in shared accommodation, and if I wake up super early I lie there until others start to stir or I sneak outside and enjoy some morning air.

I do my utmost not to disturb others as I'm also a very light sleeper and have had many experiences of thoughtless people in shared accommodation, too. I really don't see anything wrong with pointing out bad behaviour if people complain that you turned a light on up to 10pm if that's when the rules say they go out, etc. Those people surely aren't going to learn humility on their own.

Rant over!
I'm with you brother. I plan to hike the Camino in April/May and if lights are turned off before the posted time, I'll simply turn them back on, unless it is apparent that everybody is ready for lights out. We red neck Kentuckians frown on unnecessary rudeness.

€46,-
So I am one of the dreaded early risers (a silent one, I fervently hope and pray). I am not an early nighter - I think 10pm is perfectly reasonable and can frequently be found knocking back wines far later than that! I do, however, absolutely treasure my dawns, and to walk amongst them is one of my greatest joys on any journey. Hence, I like to be packed and gone by the predawn, whatever time that is.
I basically have everything in my pack, and simply roll out of bed, and carry my sleeping bag outside. I do all preps in the corridor or public area - no plastic bags.
I'm pretty used to communal living, and really don't mind much what others do. What I struggle with is the anger or irritability of others. I've rarely if ever had it directed at me, but I've seen it directed at others, and it is seriously unpleasant. Yes, some people can be quite extraordinarily oblivious to the disruption they cause either early morning or early at night, but it doesn't justify censure from others. At times the albergues can feel policed by people who believe they have a special right to lay down the law of the camino, and I find it unutterably tedious. Walk as you walk, smile at who you meet, and if you don't like it - book a room for the night, which I usually do if I am feeling lacking in happy clappy spirit.
Let's face it. We're all adults, we all have our own ways of doing things, and sometimes, sleeping with fifty odd people you don't know is going to piss you off. If it does, sleep somewhere else and have a glass of something nice!

My two cents worth.

I think your attitude could alter Kentucky Jay before the end of May

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Rant over!

It is not against the spirit of the Camino not to get up at 5am! Nor is it to want to have light in the room until 10pm. Sounds perfectly reasonable to me, SY

I am getting a little tired of the 5am club.

The 5 AM club annoy me to distraction !!!

They are systematically the most selfish people on the Camino ...

If I ever ran into them in two albergues in a row, I would certainly not be in the habit of being careful about their desires to sleep at 8 PM and expect everyone else to tip-toe quietly about in darkness, whilst they give themselves the right to have alarm clocks ringing at 5 AM, lights on, loud conversation, and disturbing EVERYONE else's sleep.

Treating them at 10 PM the same way that they treat others at 5 AM is a natural reaction.

€46,-
I have gotten up at 0430 for decades. Sleeping until 0600 is a concession on my part! In my opinion nothing much good happens after 2100, so I like to be sleeping. I have a sleep mask and ear plugs, so the movement of other pilgrims does not bother me. ;)

Yeah --- but more importantly, do you set up a loud alarm clock, switch all lights on, make NO attempt to be quiet, and instead start engaging in loud conversation while others are trying to sleep ?

I don't get why they don't get it. Many do, many get up really early, all packed, roll out of bed and tiptoe out of the dorm to get dressed and ready to go without disturbing anyone's sleep. I really don't get why some others think it's okay to start packing in the morning when they could have done it the day before; why they have to pack everything in noisy plastic bags, when there are fabric ones; why they have to sweep their headlamp around the room to see what they're doing, when a small keyring LED light would do; why they have to chat to their companions before they get out of the room, when I assume they could have discussed any logistics issues the previous evening. I don't get that they feel okay with that. I was mortified if I had to go to the loo in the night and the door creaked (which I also don't get, and sometimes tried to fix with my aloe vera vaseline ...) It's not hard: go by Jesus' golden rule of doing unto others as you would have them do unto you. And don't do what you wouldn't like others to do. Be kind.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I know that I am a newbie, since I have only been on the trail for a week, but I actually LIKE the 5 am crowd. I am a heavy sleeper, and out of respect for others, have refrained from using alarms. Their stirring has allowed me to see some of the most beautiful sunrises, even though I am normally a total night owl. We all have a portion to contribute, so, may we all learn to appreciate the awesomeness that is difference!

Blessings,

Ruth

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The saddest part of this entire thread is the fact that people are coming right out and saying they were vengeful toward others.

OK, so someone griped when you turned the light back on because it was prior to 10pm. Was it polite for them to gripe? Probably not. But, many people are saying that because someone was upset with them, they were no longer worried about politely being quiet in the morning. Really? You feel the need to "get them back?" I find that so sad and self-focused.

Rather than learning a lesson in tolerance or compassion (and practicing it), you decide to act selfishly just because someone said something to you? It seems hypocritical to the whole reason for doing the camino in the first place. I hope I don't run into people like that on my camino.

If I go to bed early and I get woken up, then that is a possibility I accepted when checking into non-private housing. However, just because someone else might be a jerk is no reason or justification for me not to show some grace and be the bigger person.

Being nice to each other is a really good idea... even if the other person is not the first to be nice.

I think they just don't think. I get easily annoyed by some stuff done by other people, so I try not to do it.

I probably still do tons of other stuff that annoy others but wouldn't annoy me...

Wow a lot of feeling there.

There is something special about walking as the sun rises. I might have been annoyed by lights, snoring, plastic bags, etc but at the end of it all, when looking back, none of it matters! Just enjoythe luxury of even having the experience.

Last edited:
?..........none of it matters! Just enjoy the luxury of even having the experience.

So true. It is an absolute luxury to be able to afford the time and expense of walking the camino. Not many of us can find the space for this indulgence. I really appreciate that I have been able to do it.

........Camino Frances with my daughter - http://magwood.wordpress.com

lol thats why Im taking a tent...then I can love everyone along the way despite them being the early birds or the late sleepers.

Preventative medicine!

Also...try telling them. Try communication. Use your voice! Sometimes it actually works...but ...do it before you are royally miffed... go to them in a spirit of peace and see if you can find a happy medium...or some way of fitting it all together so everyone benefits.

But remember the Camino is not random...not from the way I believe. So chances are there is something to be learned from the very difficulties you are experiencing...and every joy you experience along Camino! Maybe those people who are driving you mad are walking there at EXACTLY the right time...just to remind you to figure out why you react in a certain way or don't communicate? They deserve for you to have said this to them first... Maybe thats the lesson?

Hugs for the late sleepers and early birds both!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
There is a lesson for all to learn here concerning both sides here. Have a conversation, honesty, humility, tolerance and acceptance of others and also compromise. Consideration by all and realising that it is not all about me. Not easy though when you are tired, excited, wide awake and have the habits of a lifetime. Do you have to go with the flow. No! However it is there and will it change? Perhaps those who irritate may change but that may require honesty by all concerned.

I just don't think that the early risers realise that they are being inconsiderate.I tried walking in the dark. I was in a hotel. IT was rubbish. Couldn't see squat.

I just don't think that the early risers realise that they are being inconsiderate.
It is the noise that is inconsiderate, not the getting up per se. Plastic bags really are a blight! Many early morning pilgrims are quite quiet. They prepack the night before, roll out of bed, grab their pack, and finish packing in the common areas or hallway.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Which was my point for open communication...perhaps they don't understand. And maybe a friendly conversation saying "hey listen how can we each help the other so our own journey can be what its supposed to?" might help the situation. Understanding and being open are the key here. Make a point of having a conversation...

I know one thing for sure. The Camino should not be about strife. Strife is spiritual (even if you don't think so) and if it were me I would be trying to find ways to "kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight " (Bruce Cockburn). IF it bothers you that bad fix it. Anything is better then letting it eat at you day after day. Be brave and resourceful!

It is the noise that is inconsiderate, not the getting up per se.

Exactly.

I mean, I think getting up to walk the Camino at 5 AM is silly, but if that's what people want, then that's what they want. But I love the 5 AM people who are considerate and do their best not to disturb to bits !!!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Which was my point for open communication...perhaps they don't understand. And maybe a friendly conversation saying "hey listen how can we each help the other so our own journey can be what its supposed to?" might help the situation. Understanding and being open are the key here. Make a point of having a conversation...
Early in the morning having been woken by the plastic bag brigade, or the sweeping headlights in my eyes or any of the other ways those departing early have to disrupt the dormitory, I am far from being inclined to start a conversation of this or any other nature. If they leave early, I hope not to catch up with them. I just know that there will be someone else to replace them.

If you can do it, save up some money, plan a shorter Camino, and splurge on some rooms. We go to restaurants when they open (9:00 or so), get to bed at midnight, and are back on the trail by 10 am. And we don't suffer any of the irritations so eloquently described above.

Early in the morning having been woken by the plastic bag brigade, or the sweeping headlights in my eyes or any of the other ways those departing early have to disrupt the dormitory, I am far from being inclined to start a conversation of this or any other nature. If they leave early, I hope not to catch up with them. I just know that there will be someone else to replace them.

Duh...that would be like starting a conversation about how bad the sex was right after you were with your wife/husband. Maybe you should take the time to catch up with them on the trail and get to know them...harder to be bitchy about someone you know as a friend.

I personally think this is so bloody trivial. Sorry but many are being incredibly petty here and I do think its entirely out of the Camino spirit. There are some things that should be kept to yourself or discussed with the person that is causing the irritation...bringing it into the forum lessens the forum in my opinion and doesn't solve the problem or find a solution. Some of these comments...also in my opinion... are stubborn and arrogant. I mean come on...think about what you are saying...someone is rustling a bag...and making some noise and it bothers you...so instead of talking to them about it you are gonna send bad thots and keep bad thots about these people letting it take/rob joy from you for the ENTIRE COMINO? AND... then bring all the anger and frustrtion all the way home and dump it in the forum?? So dealing with the anger and the frustration is harder than a conversation? Really?

tsk tsk tsk ...If you cannot deal with the way someone is behaving you have no right to bitch about them if you are not going to address the issue WITH THEM...at this point you are a part of the problem not the solution. Disconnect your anger and go talk to the people for heaven sake... How old are we???

And I if you have a problem with what I'm posting...please by all means...communicate it with ME...don't start a thread about it here...

Last edited by a moderator:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

I was one of those early risers and I did it because I was so utterly slow! If I didn't leave then, I'd have got to my destination too late. 20-25 kms always took me forever. Some days I did 17 km and left 'late' at 7.00 am, but I was still always late in! I did always try to be quiet though.

I was one of those early risers and I did it because I was so utterly slow! If I didn't leave then, I'd have got to my destination too late. 20-25 kms always took me forever. Some days I did 17 km and left 'late' at 7.00 am, but I was still always late in! I did always try to be quiet though.
Im proud of you that you kept at it!

@Pattii

Well, the fact is that in some albergues there's a rule not to get up (i.e. put the lights on, rumble around etc.) before 06:30 for example. Some people for different reasons don't act accordingly .... And also there's a very common rule in most albergues that lights go off at 22:00, so why be bitchy if somebody switch them on at 21:00? But some do still complain... early risers mostly!!! And for early risers there are wholla lot suggestions to pack themselves in the evening and finish morning preparations in communal area or at least not use plastic bags (in the morning in dormitory!!!) which can be so "noisy" for those who are still sleeping. Well, after that I suppose not :mad:

Those rules are usually written and posted somewhere visible. Why then use plastic bags, headlamps and talk at 04:30??? At least get yourself a bed near the exit of dormitory.

I too experienced many of those early risers day after day, although breaking stages. But still there were more I wasn't aware of their leaving at all. So I believe there is some hope ;)

Ultreia!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I personally think this is so bloody trivial. Sorry but many are being incredibly petty here and I do think its entirely out of the Camino spirit. [snip] So dealing with the anger and the frustration is harder than a conversation? Really? [snip]
I think I came close to being angry in Castrojeriz, when I was asked to sleep in the common room because I snored, and was then woken by the early risers. Otherwise, it was just another part of the day, and I didn't really bother about it.
[snip] Maybe you should take the time to catch up with them on the trail and get to know them...harder to be bitchy about someone you know as a friend. [snip]
The earliest I left an albergue was about 7.30, and normally it was shortly after 8.00am. The early departures would have 1 1/2 to 2 hours walking already done by the time that I left. Not something I was going to catch up except perhaps at the end of the day if they had raced to the same town or village I had got to more slowly. I had little in common with the early starters, I clearly wasn't going to spend much time in their company on the path, so befriending them wasn't one of my priorities in the evening.
[snip]If you cannot deal with the way someone is behaving you have no right to bitch about them if you are not going to address the issue WITH THEM...at this point you are a part of the problem not the solution. Disconnect your anger and go talk to the people for heaven sake... How old are we???[snip]
While I might agree with Patti's overall assessment that this post verges on the trivial and petty, I don't agree with this assessment. Forum members have every right to vent their frustration. If it alerts someone yet to do their Camino about an issue they will need to deal with along the way and gives them some approaches to deal with that issue, that is even better.

What they cannot expect is that venting here will solve the problem. Generally, forum members appear to be a small part of the overall Camino population, and any of us that are prompted to avoid a vexatious behaviour will be a drop in the ocean. It won't stop many of us carrying a fabric food bag or packing the night before, or hanging a head torch around our necks rather than strapping it to our foreheads. Just don't expect it will resolve the issue.

Regards

This is like a "smoking" forum. There will always be the smokers who demand their rights to smoke and the non smokers who demand their rights to a non smoking world. Who deserves more rights. I thot we were all equal.

This is after all eveyrone's Pilgrimage...

Tolerance. Communication. Understanding and...

Earplugs and a sleeping mask! Easy solution AND you get to be the bigger person...thats a great deal!

More determined than ever to take a tent...
Bueno Camino!

An easier solution......... Follow the rules in the albergue.:)

If the rules say light to 10pm, it´s lights to 10 pm.

If the rules say no get up till 6:30 am , it´s no get up to 6:30 am.

Those who freely choose to break them are selfish and don´t know how to live in community.

Buen Camino!

€46,-
Tolerance. Communication. Understanding and...
[snip]
More determined than ever to take a tent...
Bueno Camino!
Patti, I do find it rather interesting that you are so engaged in this discussion when you seem determined to avoid staying in albergues. Other than the one place I mentioned, the petty things like headlights and plastic bags were largely an annoyance, much as small buzzing insects are an annoyance. Wave them off.

My observation is that you don't meet many other pilgrims walking - that happens at bars/cafes along the way and in the afternoon and evening over a drink, meal or relaxing in the albergue. Staying in a tent is avoiding the issue, not practising tolerance or any of the other admirable qualities you are suggesting we observe.

Seriously? lol You assume because I'm taking a tent that I'm not tolerant...or that I won't socialize or that I'm avoiding something. Hmm... I honestly thought the Camino for one would be very different than the Camino for another.

As a matter of fact I'm just a planner because I have a disability and I have to be. I like to be prepared and I like choices and I like avoiding petty issues so I find a way to be the solution instead of the problem. And besides...if I end up having to be in the 5am club to make the distance then I guess having a tent with me benefits those who are wanting their rest. So every one wins. This Camino will be challenging enough for me as it is and I can't take the weight of changing people on as well. We can't change people. It's something I learned the hard way but...BUT... I have also learned that I can give myself the freedom to have a voice or to change myself or my surroundings or my direction so that a situation that I'm not comfortable with doesn't affect me or anyone else in a negative way. I would rather make friends than enemies. I don't expect you to understand my journey... I just know that the Camino choses the way and I am incredibly open to whatever is asked of me. God knows my heart.

At the end of the day...this topic has taken up much room in the forum and in my brain...Im excited that I just found a sleeping bag weighing 540 grams!

I hope you all excuse me as I bow out of this particular thread.

Blessings all
Pattii

This above all: to thine own self be true,
And it must follow, as the night the day,
Thou canst not then be false to any man.

Shakespeare

Hi Dougfitz, the headlamp/flashlight around the neck...that sounds like a good idea, does it help solve the sweeping lighthouse effect of headlamp on head? I am definitely not an early riser but rather a middle-of-the-night loo visitor and am trying to learn ways if using a flashlight that will make it easier for those sleeping, yet save me from banging my toes on beds and backpacks. With that said, I did download a free flashlight app for my phone that has a red screen option, the problem is I have to go from bright white first before I can click to red.

€46,-
Hi Dougfitz, the headlamp/flashlight around the neck...that sounds like a good idea, does it help solve the sweeping lighthouse effect of headlamp on head? I am definitely not an early riser but rather a middle-of-the-night loo visitor and am trying to learn ways if using a flashlight that will make it easier for those sleeping, yet save me from banging my toes on beds and backpacks. With that said, I did download a free flashlight app for my phone that has a red screen option, the problem is I have to go from bright white first before I can click to red.
All I do is extend the head strap and carry the headlamp around my neck. Adjust the lamp angle so that it illuminates just ahead of you, where you are going to walk. Even if you swing around, the light doesn't normally shine into people's faces, but stays broadly pointing at the floor.

I am lucky enough to have a rather old Black Diamond lamp about the size of my thumb, which I can leave around my neck when I go to bed. That way I don't have to scramble around and look for it when I need to go to the toilets in the wee hours.

Last edited:
Anyone who thinks that they are going to change the behavior of very many other pilgrims is delusional!!;) It will be an endless repeat of the same rant/discussion each day for over a month. Most of the time you will be completely ignored, and you may get punched in the face a couple of times. Dealing internally with your irritation will be much more successful. "Serentity now," as Frank Costanza said.

I do realize it is more about getting it off you chest than it is about finding a solution, so venting here is much more productive than confrontation on the Camino.

Anyone who thinks that they are going to change the behavior of very many other pilgrims is delusional!!

Yep !!!

Advice number one will always be -- walk faster or slower than the 5 AM crowd as you have identified them, so as to avoid the albergues that they will be sleeping in.

They are a small minority among pilgrims, and they tend to gather in easily identifiable groups.

Yep !!!

Advice number one will always be -- walk faster or slower than the 5 AM crowd as you have identified them, so as to avoid the albergues that they will be sleeping in.

They are a small minority among pilgrims, and they tend to gather in easily identifiable groups.

I usually caught up to the early risers by 0800 and passed them during their morning break, ask them where they are headed to next, and make a mental note that you won't be staying there.
If I stopped my walk by 1200-1300, it drove me crazy, I walked till 1500-1600 and felt more accomplished.

I have no need to feel more accomplished; I am content to be just what I am.:) I start early. I am the slowest pilgrim on the camino (actually, I have passed eight other pilgrims in some 4,000 kilometers, so I am not quite the slowest). I stop early. I can sit and watch the birds for hours, so even the dullest village fascinates me. I have no problem with ambitious, challenged pilgrims, but I have no desire to be one of them. I admire those who walk 40km days, but I would not do it even if I could. I cover about 3km per hour, so it is a seven hour walking day to do 20km. Even when I know I could do more, I always ask myself why I SHOULD do more. Usually there is no real answer except that I COULD. When that is the answer, I stop, do my laundry and have a drink.;)

All I do is extend the head strap and carry the headlamp around my neck. Adjust the lamp angle so that it illuminates just ahead of you, where you are going to walk. Even if you swing around, the light doesn't normally shine into people's faces, but stays broadly pointing at the floor.

I am lucky enough to have a rather old Black Diamond lamp about the size of my thumb, which I can leave around my neck when I go to bed. That way I don't have to scramble around and look for it when I need to go to the toilets in the wee hours.

Thanks. I think I might have the same black diamond - will convert it to a necklace for a test run tonight.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.