• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino This JUST happened...

Shawnasong

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2016
I know you are going to love this story...

I left Puente La Reina this morning. I entered the town of Maneru and was going to keep on walking straight through. I stopped and double backed to stop for a coffee and to practice what I preach about foot care. As I was standing there chatting with a long lost friend from 3 days ago, a man walked up and said, "Does anyone know Shawna Morris?"
I turned and said, "That's me!"
"I found your passport and your peregrino passport back at the albergue!"
Wow. I had a feeling I forgot something this morning. So then, after 20 minutes of failed attempts to get a taxi, the owner of this cafe albergue gave me a ride to get my passport. Now, it's hard to convey in words here the level of commitment to helping me that these proprietors had, but it was moving.
And because of this detour, I got to know a smidge of these two...they met on the Camino about ten years ago, and about 4 months ago bought this albergue, which is very nice and clean. It is called El Cantero, and it is in Maneru. Please stop in and give them some love.

I'm trying to load a picture, but I can't and need to move along.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Great story! Maneru was a pretty little hamlet in 2000 (if my memory is right and it is a few km before Cirauqui). (I was flashed outside the cemetery on the way out of town, but that bad memory doesn't change my assessment). But I do remember being there a few years later and seeing tons of cranes and construction. What's the situation now? Great news that there is a nice Albergue, it is a perfect "between stages" place to stop!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

I left Puente La Reina this morning. I entered the town of Maneru and was going to keep on walking straight through. I stopped and double backed to stop for a coffee and to practice what I preach about foot care. As I was standing there chatting with a long lost friend from 3 days ago, a man walked up and said, "Does anyone know Shawna Morris?"
Wow. I had a feeling I forgot something this morning. So then, after 20 minutes of failed attempts to get a taxi, the owner of this cafe albergue gave me a ride to get my passport. Now, it's hard to convey in words here the level of commitment to helping me that these proprietors had, but it was moving.
And because of this detour, I got to know a smidge of these two...they met on the Camino about ten years ago, and about 4 months ago bought this albergue, which is very nice and clean. It is called El Cantero, and it is in Maneru. Please stop in and give them some love.

Just beautiful. Buen Camino :), Caesar

Wonderful story!

I fell over at the entrance to Maneru... face planted hard on the concrete :( No real harm done so I dusted myself off and carried on... I did end up with a black eye, bruised and swollen nose, grazed and bruised chin and mouth, cut lip and wow my knees hurt!

But you've reminded me that a very nice lady stopped and gave me her good luck charm which now lives in my purse... and I must take it out and put it in my rucksack to take with me to Seville!

es16.jpg

I would have left it behind if I hadn't read your post... so thank you! :cool:

p.s. I cant believe I'm sharing that photo!! :oops::oops::oops:

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
LesBrass - I did exactly the same thing a couple of years ago in the UK. It was winter. I'd just finished walking the Cotswolds Way, and was feeling pretty proud of myself for squeezing in a good walk in December. I was wandering around Bath, waiting to meet some friends for dinner in a fairly posh restaurant, when I tripped on the uneven pavement. I spent the next few days looking just like your photo - which of course was lovely for going through customs and immigration on the way home. It was also a bit tricky to have supper while holding a bag of ice on my face!

The true Camino Spirit :)

Some wonderful synchronicity unfolding there...

It's frightening just how easy it is to leave something behind though. So glad that it all worked out well for you.

Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yes, the synchronicity on the Camino
really blowed my mind.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Ivar,
Can I like this ten times?

Walking into Maneru on a grey and drizzly morning I told myself that this moment in time had been tailor made for me: I breed a rare Spaniel, and it is thought it goes back to a Spanish breed called Pachon de Navarra. What did I see in the middle of the Maneru plaza? A Pachon! I'm convinced there is not another pilgrim who would have cared on bit, but for me it was like finding the holy grail.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

The perfect example of Camino spirit!
By the way, have you met up with Diana ( from Costa Rica too) yet?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
What a nice story. I am about to start the Camino, from Mont-de-Marsan in France, together with my dog. I've read some alarming stories here (especially the death of the Belgian Pelgrim), but this story is how I imagine it to be. Thanks for posting it.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
What a nice story. I am about to start the Camino, from Mont-de-Marsan in France, together with my dog. I've read some alarming stories here (especially the death of the Belgian Pelgrim), but this story is how I imagine it to be. Thanks for posting it.

Hi Veerle and welcome here.

Just a small question : is your dog used to walking long distances? Are you taking a cart with you where he can rest time to time? I ask this because there are some threads here that discuss the pro and cons of taking your dog on the Camino.

Ultreia from a fellow Belgian.

And do you take a tent where you can sleep with your dog and do you have your travel back sorted out as public transport in Spain isn't exactly dog friendly ... SY

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I heartily agree (and have written elsewhere) that taking a pet on the camino may not be in the best interest of the pet. That said, should people do it anyway (imagine, not listening to me :rolleyes:...why am I having flashbacks to not listening in the SJPdP pilgrim office?) then please ake sure they stay on a lead, that they have ID on their collar with phone that will be answered, and email, and that they have an implanted microchip with up-to-date contact info. Just think how you and your beloved pet would feel and fare should they become separated from you.
edit: especially since they probably don't speak the language, so people calling to them if they get loose might just scare or confuse them....i spent a fair amount of time say 'bueno perro, bonito perro' as I tiptoed around some Cujos on the Norte and Primitivo....I don't think they appreciated my badly rolled r's anymore than most Spaniards

Actually the major language confusion with Spanish canines is with clacking your tongue. Anywhere else in Europe it is a signal for 'good dog, come here, say hello' whilst in Spain it means 'BAD DOG, GO AWAY/BUZZ OFF!'. Buen Camino, SY

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Actually the major language confusion with Spanish canines is with clacking your tongue. Anywhere else in Europe it is a signal for 'good dog, come here, say hello' whilst in Spain it means 'BAD DOG, GO AWAY/BUZZ OFF!'. Buen Camino, SY
very good to know ... of course, i can't make that clacking sound either...stupid, defective tongue :(

I met two pilgrims with happy dogs.... It was such HARD work though, for the humans....
One had a tent and always looked after his dog first. He was fabulous.
The other had 2 dogs and stopped all the time to see to them.... Equally wonderful.
We lost each other of course but it was a wonderful sight.
I couldn't recommend it, really, honestly, if you walk the Camino for something in you. If you walk with a dog, you walk FOR the dog and so it should be, cos he sure didn't ask to be there ;)

Last edited:
Thanks for your good advice. It has been very useful. I decided on the last moment to leave the dog at home. Difficult decision, but a wise one I think. I will start tomorrow at Saint-Jean-Pied-De-Port.

I think it is a very wise decision!
Buen Camino en veel plezier!

Thanks for your good advice. It has been very useful. I decided on the last moment to leave the dog at home. Difficult decision, but a wise one I think. I will start tomorrow at Saint-Jean-Pied-De-Port.

Well done, your dog will thank you! Buen Camino, SY

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

I know exactly the two hospitaleros that you are talking about! Earlier this summer I left my sunhat behind at Uterga and when I realized it I was in Maneru and stopped in at El Cantero to see if they might be able to call the other albergue for me and they managed to have it sent on to Villatuerta with a cyclist and I picked it up down the Way. A sunhat is not a passport, I know, but I was so grateful to have these two kind people care enough to help me :) will never forget it. Their stamp is still one of my most treasured in my credencial!

Last edited:
I love this story so much! What would happen if someone collected these beautiful stories of humanity as we have walked, and compiled them into a feel good coffee table book.... I have a few stories of the depth of human spirit from my camino, and I know that just about every pilgrim has their stories, too. Thanks for sharing.

"I found your passport and your peregrino passport back at the albergue!".

Nothing to do with the camino, Shawna, but I had a similar experience. I was flagged down by a passing vehicle while driving on a highway in Perth. The driver said, "Have you lost your wallet?". Indeed I had, though I was unaware of it until that moment. He'd picked it up in a cinema, and some time later noticed he was driving behind a car with (to him) unusual Carnarvon number plates!

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.