• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

This map is GREAT!!!

peregrina2000

Staff member
I was lucky to snag one of the IGN camino maps. It arrived here in the US, no customs hassle, just right into my mailbox. It's printed on very heavy paper, very large and lists 43 caminos. 43!!!!!!! Lots of camino dreaming in my future. Unfortunately, I don't think my walking future holds enough years for me to get close to that number. :(

https://www.santiagodecompostela.me...s/products/camino-de-santiago-map-1-1-250-000

The other real benefit I see is that I can finally understand how the different caminos I have walked relate to each other geographically. Till this lovely map arrived, I was pretty clueless about the bigger picture.

But it seems to be sold out again, hope it will be back in stock. Thanks to Ivar for making it available. Buen camino, Laurie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
A selection of Camino Jewellery
What LesBrass said.:D
I am thinking to pay a visit to the map store in A Coruna this July, to look at this and 1:25,000 scale walking maps. There is something wonderful about a paper map - you can see everything at a glance in any light, without having to scroll or zoom - with no need to recharge batteries, except at the local tapas bar.;)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Map sold out at Stanford’s too!

And don’t give up on planning caminos, peregrina! Remember the 93 year old pilgrim on the Francés. I only started at 70 seven years ago and have the next five years covered with caminos in various planning stages!

And thank you for all your useful info and your inspiration generally!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
What LesBrass said.:D
I am thinking to pay a visit to the map store in A Coruna this July, to look at this and 1:25,000 scale walking maps. There is something wonderful about a paper map - you can see everything at a glance in any light, without having to scroll or zoom - with no need to recharge batteries, except at the local tapas bar.;)
Totally agree, yes I know that electronic/digital is the way of the future but a paper map lets you see all the side routes etc. Cheers

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Would someone who has one please publish the ISBN the name of the publisher who holds copyrite?? We might have better luck going to original supplier.
Mike, if Ivar is out, go to the Spanish National Geographic Institute (IGN) - they produced the maps and hold the copyright. There is a website where you can place orders. I don't know if they ship overseas, but I would be surprised if they didn't. But it may take some time.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have them on order... hoping to have them back in stock late this week/early next.
I got one of the maps from Ivar shortly after it was first mentioned in another thread a few weeks ago. At the time Ivar said it was out of stock, but I received my copy within a week or so later. And I agree with what everyone has said--it's a great map. I only have two comments: 1) It would be nice to have an option for a rolled map for those who may wish to frame it for mounting on a wall, and 2) It would be nice to have the route names printed on the map itself along the respective routes rather than (or in addition to) the numerical key on the map legend. BTW @ivar, I have tried several times to post a review--including those two comments--but every time I hit the "Post" button I get an error message.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
@ivar : Got delivery today. 3 days from Northwest Spain to Arctic Norway: Not bad at all! :) But I ordered 3 credentials, but received 4... I guess that means I owe you a free coffee for you next time in SdC. :D Thanks!

BTW: The map is REALLY great and opens for new insight in f.ex. the relationships between different Caminos. Planning alternatives is much easier now!

Edit: The Wise Pilgrim Guide looks very informative. Even if I have done 5 CFs, this guide will be very informative in the sunny afternoons with a good Rioja! :):)

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@ivar : Got delivery today. 3 days from Northwest Spain to Arctic Norway: Not bad at all! :) But I ordered 3 credentials, but received 4... I guess that means I owe you a free coffee for you next time in SdC. :D Thanks!

BTW: The map is REALLY great and opens for new insight in f.ex. the relationships between different Caminos. Planning alternatives is much easier now!

Edit: The Wise Pilgrim Guide looks very informative. Even if I have done 5 CFs, this guide will be very informative in the sunny afternoons with a good Rioja! :):)
The guide comes with a free credential. :) happy planning!

How can I get hold of the map please where do I order it from please.
Thank you.
A very happy holiday to all of you.
A peaceful and Blessed 2018.
Thank you to all those who made my life bearable.
I only wish all my Angels were here with me.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I was lucky to snag one of the IGN camino maps. It arrived here in the US, no customs hassle, just right into my mailbox. It's printed on very heavy paper, very large and lists 43 caminos. 43!!!!!!! Lots of camino dreaming in my future. Unfortunately, I don't think my walking future holds enough years for me to get close to that number. :(

https://www.santiagodecompostela.me...s/products/camino-de-santiago-map-1-1-250-000

The other real benefit I see is that I can finally understand how the different caminos I have walked relate to each other geographically. Till this lovely map arrived, I was pretty clueless about the bigger picture.

But it seems to be sold out again, hope it will be back in stock. Thanks to Ivar for making it available. Buen camino, Laurie
Hi Laurie - I got so excited when I saw your post - have been trying to get this map for a couple of years now (after seeing my friend Andree Lombard's one) but when I tried to order it was not able to do so and they tell me my c/card is not acceptable on the pay setup system - this is such a great map and I love maps so will have to try when I am in Santiago next year - I think I may see you on your walk from Almeria - I agree with you, I don't think I have that many years left to do all the caminos - in friendship and buen camino - Marilyn van Graan

I think it might be related to your browser... (Not sure otherwise) Maybe try on a different device? Thanks!
Hi Ivar - firstly thank you for such a great site - I am trying to order one of these amazing maps but the pay site says my visa card is not acceptable - would it be possible to purchase it in Santiago when I am there next year - I did ask at the credential office and they sent me off to a shop but still no luck. Many thanks once again for all your info passed on to us and I wish you a blessed and happy Christmas and New Year - Marilyn van Graab

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Stanfords will have the map back in stock around end of January, Lets hope Ivar has it before then.

While I agree nothing beats a paper map, if you want something to savour while you wait for one to arrive there's nothing to stop you from downloading the free IGN app and map of Spain then you can zoom in from the whole of Spain up to a scale where you can almost feel the gravel under your boots - amazing artistry.
You can also, of course, overlay your favourite camino . . .Camino_Ingles_2018[1].png

While I agree nothing beats a paper map, if you want something to savour while you wait for one to arrive there's nothing to stop you from downloading the free IGN app and map of Spain then you can zoom in from the whole of Spain up to a scale where you can almost feel the gravel under your boots - amazing artistry.
You can also, of course, overlay your favourite camino . . .
Can you supply us with a link to a downloadable, please?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

The basic IGN map is not there for Apple. But there is a similar map with the Caminos, or at least some of them, already loaded. Use the IGN.en website link in the developers info to get at them as the App Store search didn’t get at them. Not sure about the zooming. It seems to be a PDF of a paper map with the Caminos on top, so there’s only so much that you can do. A lot of foot power and horse sense will be needed to find particular shells, I guess.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
ok, so I have added some more in stock... I don't actually have them in stock but will ship as soon as I do have them.

Uhh, how does the ordering work in the website if it’s out of stock? In other words, how can I or anyone get put in the list for backorders? There’s no button or other link gizmo.

Thanks for the info on this map, I plan to order one as soon as it becomes available at Tienda de Ivar. Wishing all caminantes a Feliz Navidad, y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.
An update on this one -- I received my map from Tienda de Ivar yesterday. Excellence service by la Tienda de Ivar. The map is awesome. Thanks, y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
This map is now back in stock after almost a year out of stock.

I love my map - but then I am a map person - so grateful for that lovely lady who posted one to me here in SA - I use it when planning our caminos - or should say when Maggie has planned it and I mark off the route and as many towns as I see - love it love it!!! THANK YOU

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

My advice would be to jump on this opportunity, Ivar I hope you bought the entire stock! It is a great map and the best place to start your camino dreaming. It covers my entire desk so that all the work I have to do is hidden below and I can focus on the important things. 😄

I love my map - but then I am a map person - so grateful for that lovely lady who posted one to me here in SA - I use it when planning our caminos - or should say when Maggie has planned it and I mark off the route and as many towns as I see - love it love it!!! THANK YOU

Hi Marilyn! I am the one who ordered a map for both of us and sent one to you. Later I gave away my map to our local association of the "Amis de St. Jacques" thinking I could get one for myself again easily. Have been waiting ever since and have now ordered a new one for myself. During the "permanences" of our association every month this map is a great source of information for discussions between those who have walked a number of caminos and those who seek help with planning.

This map is great as Laurie said at the origin of this thread!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Bought my map a few days ago.
Hope to get it before I have to leave Portland ... looking forward to planning my next walk (as soon as this danged morton's neuroma resolves).

WOW!!!! 100 maps in 24 hours must be some kind of record. Just goes to show you how many silent members we have lurking in the shadows. :eek: I'm assuming you were a bit surprised by that, Ivar?

I am one of those occasional posters, but I am in the forum reading almost daily.
When I ordered the map there were 16 left !!!
Thanks again Ivar, am looking forward to it when it arrives all the way down here in Oz.

Hi Marilyn! I am the one who ordered a map for both of us and sent one to you. Later I gave away my map to our local association of the "Amis de St. Jacques" thinking I could get one for myself again easily. Have been waiting ever since and have now ordered a new one for myself. During the "permanences" of our association every month this map is a great source of information for discussions between those who have walked a number of caminos and those who seek help with planning.

This map is great as Laurie said at the origin of this thread!
Well hola to you dear Ina - did not know you were Pelerine - hope this finds you well - will be forever grateful for that wonderful map - even my granddaughter follows me when I am plotting!!! So sorry that you are still without your one - what a kind and generous soul you are. Hope your one arrives soon. Are or have you walked this year/ love and warm hugs from a very cold and wintery Cape TownXX

€46,-
Well hola to you dear Ina - did not know you were Pelerine - hope this finds you well - will be forever grateful for that wonderful map - even my granddaughter follows me when I am plotting!!! So sorry that you are still without your one - what a kind and generous soul you are. Hope your one arrives soon. Are or have you walked this year/ love and warm hugs from a very cold and wintery Cape TownXX

Well, hola back to you, dear Marilyn! I followed you during your walk with Maggie on the Mozárabe as I was planning my bit of the Mozárabe from Almeria to Granada. Did this with my two daughters at the end of April/beginning of May this year.

Back to the subject of this thread I ordered TWO copies of THE map, one for me to keep and another one to give away. My own map will not leave me again!

Big hug from the heat wave in France which brings even Brittany temperatures to the high twenties!

When Ivar’s had sold out some time before Christmas last year I got maps for all my grandchildren from Stanford’s in London. Google Stanford’s....
....good luck!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I happpen to be in London right now. The kind people at Stanford’s found the last copy for me to pick up. What an interesting store!
One of my favourite stores when I visit London!

€60,-
This is now back in stock again:

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
This is now back in stock again:
OMG, rush to your favorite branch of Ivar’s store and buy it — QUICKLY, because it will soon be out of stock again! How many did you snag this time, Ivar?

It's OK, but the best IGN Camino map that I know of has been out of print since the 20th Century, sadly. It shows all of the main routes from the eastern part of Central Europe towards Galicia.

Yes, because of its early publication date, today it's rather out of date (the route up from Madrid to Léon is depicted as following the old historic path that has become a busy motorway) ; but it also shows many secondary Camino routes that to this day lack any waymarking nor other support structures at all, but are still rather important not just historically, but sometimes practically.

The major flaw of the map, apart from its occasional out-of-datedness, is that its depiction of the Via Romea/Francigena routes is very defective, even though the geography depicted is where all of its major routes are located.

€46,-
I got 100... I see there are about 45 left now... so by the looks of it they will be gone by tomorrow... I will try my best to get more in after that...
I am happy having been able to order one!! Thank you for the message, I reacted immediately 😊

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Lovely surprise when it came this morning. I try to forget about non-essentials that I've ordered online so I don't wait impatiently. Great map, and I can see how people get a hooked on walking different routes. A little treat to myself in solo lockdown. Thank you!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hy all,

one of the last ones (?) is mine now. Just ordered.

So long
DonCamino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Mine is already 2 1/2 years old, and lives on the wall next to my desk -- 15 cm from my right arm 🥰

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

I have that map. Im surprised how often I get it out and show people - who are always really impressed.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
As we head into hibernation season here in the northern hemisphere, and as much of the southern hemisphere continues in lockdown, I know there’s a lot of camino dreaming going on.

IMO, an essential tool for all that dreaming is this IGN map. It looks like they are in stock, so if you don’t have one, seize the opportunity. You will not regret it.

Will do, Laurie. Soon I will be able to take a look on the map to acclimate myself when forum gurus, such as yourself, mention the unusual routes they walk.
Hopefully ordering one will be as simple as making a donation to the forum.

I just pulled out my trusty IGN (Instituto de Geografía Nacional, I think) map to answer a question about crossing over from the Camino de Madrid to the Levante, and it occurred to me to check to see if Ivar is still selling it, because it is one of my best camino purchases EVER!

And wow, the map is on sale! Especially for new members who may not have seen this map, or who never knew that there are at least 48 caminos on the Iberian peninsula, you should take a look. It is an absolute must-have for camino dreamers. You can get it at the store here.

I just pulled out my trusty IGN (Instituto de Geografía Nacional, I think) map to answer a question about crossing over from the Camino de Madrid to the Levante, and it occurred to me to check to see if Ivar is still selling it, because it is one of my best camino purchases EVER!

And wow, the map is on sale! Especially for new members who may not have seen this map, or who never knew that there are at least 48 caminos on the Iberian peninsula, you should take a look. It is an absolute must-have for camino dreamers. You can get it at the store here.
Hey, Peregrina2000, I am curious to know how many routes you have notched in your belt since you first posted your love of this map in 2017--you had mentioned you didn't think you had enough years to do so many. My thinking, too! I had thought a small group could divvy up the routes and then total the completed routes together!

I read this and somehow the idea of Camino relay teams popped into my head. The person who walks the final stage has the fun of selling the concept to the pilgrim office.... :)
That's one thought of doing it, especially useful if folks have only a short time to be there!

The late 1980s French IGN map is still the best one of the historic Western European routes, though the Spanish map discussed in this thread is most decent for the major and secondary waymarked official ones currently in use by typical pilgrims.

I find it to be quite scandalous that the French one has been so very long out of print.

Though just a reprint of it wouldn't be enough, as it would need a huge revision to at the very least incorporate all of the Via Romea routes, which it's quite bad with.

Ever trace out your camino routes with a red highlighter? Some Appalachian Mountain Club members mark their successfully completed trails that way. The most zealous are called redliners.

The lead from an article*:

Redlining the White Mountains

“Redlining” in this context means to hike all of the trails described in the AMC’s White Mountain Guidebook. That’s 1440.4 miles based on the book’s 29th Edition, but since the most basic out-and-back trail requires two trips — out and back — it adds up to a whole lot of hiking and exploring when it’s all said and done.

Redlining is a novel, rewarding pursuit that takes its participants all over the region’s White Mountain National Forest and more, and exposes them to some real hidden gems.
* Probably of interest only to those who hike the Whites.

Five years ago a shared a trail with a redliner. But only for an hour. Steep means nothing to them.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.