• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

This ONE SIMPLE TRICK ensures that you can, indeed, camp the Camino del Norte

focalmatter

Just a quick note to my fellow tent-livers as this was something I was super curious about prior to starting my trip.

First off, YES - you can absolutely camp pretty much every stage of the Camino del Norte. BUT - I can only speak to my own experience. For example, I don't know if this "trick" would work as well in the Summer, or after Covid eventually dies down. All I can say is it's worked every time I've used it.

Secondly, I wanted to just run through a few other camping options for y'all to consider first:

1. Albergues - a number of albergues offer part of their property for camping, and even those that don't do it officially might still let you camp out if you ask nicely. They'll typically charge half the bed rate and give you full run of the albergue facilities.

2. Farms - speaking of asking nicely, though I haven't had the chance to try it myself (if/when I do I'll update the thread) I have been assured by a number of people (including the famous Padre Ernesto) that farmers are happy to let peregrinos camp out on a corner of the property if they don't make a fuss and are out early. You just need to walk up and ask.

3. Official campgrounds - there are a few. They're okay. They tend to be off the trail and kinda meh, but they're options.

4. Abandoned structures - I'm sure I'll catch flak for this, but Spain is LITTERED with abandoned farmhouses. A few nights ago, miles from towns in either direction, we found an abandoned, absolutely haunted farmhouse in the middle of nowhere that kept us warm and dry while it poured outside. We actually left it better than we found it, having cleaned up the foyer so that we could lay out our sleeping bags. WARNING: DO NOT DO THIS UNLESS YOU'RE OKAY WITH DYING. Abandoned structures can be VERY dangerous and stuff can fall apart at a moment's notice, not to mention you're sharing the house with rats, bugs, and ghosts. Squat Camping can be free and awesome, but very risky. Approach accordingly.

Okay so. The trick. It's super simple. I learned it from a girl I met in Deba and it's worked every time since. It came naturally to her, a Dutch person; to me, someone who lives in the States, it was understandably not something I ever would've considered.

Go to the Police.

That's it. That's the entire trick. Go to the police, talk to the person on duty, and say "I'm a peregrino, I have nowhere to stay but I have a tent. Is there anywhere in town I can camp for the night? I'll set up after dark and be gone before sunrise."

Every single time I've used this, I've been given somewhere to stay. One cop sent us to a park, one told us to camp behind the closed albergue, yet another said "Camp wherever, as long as you don't bother anyone we won't bother you."

We haven't had to do this every night so far (we've been spending some in albergues), but every time I've tried it, it's worked.

Happy Camping!

Last edited by a moderator:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Just a quick note to my fellow tent-livers as this was something I was super curious about prior to starting my trip.

First off, YES - you can absolutely camp pretty much every stage of the Camino del Norte. BUT - I can only speak to my own experience. For example, I don't know if this "trick" would work as well in the Summer, or after Covid eventually dies down. All I can say is it's worked every time I've used it.

Secondly, I wanted to just run through a few other camping options for y'all to consider first:

1. Albergues - a number of albergues offer part of their property for camping, and even those that don't do it officially might still let you camp out if you ask nicely. They'll typically charge half the bed rate and give you full run of the albergue facilities.

2. Farms - speaking of asking nicely, though I haven't had the chance to try it myself (if/when I do I'll update the thread) I have been assured by a number of people (including the famous Padre Ernesto) that farmers are happy to let peregrinos camp out on a corner of the property if they don't make a fuss and are out early. You just need to walk up and ask.

3. Official campgrounds - there are a few. They're okay. They tend to be off the trail and kinda meh, but they're options.

4. Abandoned structures - I'm sure I'll catch flak for this, but Spain is LITTERED with abandoned farmhouses. A few nights ago, miles from towns in either direction, we found an abandoned, absolutely haunted farmhouse in the middle of nowhere that kept us warm and dry while it poured outside. We actually left it better than we found it, having cleaned up the foyer so that we could lay out our sleeping bags. WARNING: DO NOT DO THIS UNLESS YOU'RE OKAY WITH DYING. Abandoned structures can be VERY dangerous and stuff can fall apart at a moment's notice, not to mention you're sharing the house with rats, bugs, and ghosts. Squat Camping can be free and awesome, but very risky. Approach accordingly.

Okay so. The trick. It's super simple. I learned it from a girl I met in Deba and it's worked every time since. It came naturally to her, a Dutch person; to me, someone who lives in the States, it was understandably not something I ever would've considered.

Go to the Police.

That's it. That's the entire trick. Go to the police, talk to the person on duty, and say "I'm a peregrino, I have nowhere to stay but I have a tent. Is there anywhere in town I can camp for the night? I'll set up after dark and be gone before sunrise."

Every single time I've used this, I've been given somewhere to stay. One cop sent us to a park, one told us to camp behind the closed albergue, yet another said "Camp wherever, as long as you don't bother anyone we won't bother you."

We haven't had to do this every night so far (we've been spending some in albergues), but every time I've tried it, it's worked.

Happy Camping!
You are right. I could not believe how many abandoned structures I saw along the Norte camino. That was back in 2017 so it sounds like it has not changed alot. Maybe fall out from the "crisis" of 2008.
Additionally my walking pilgram companions seemed to use their tent frequently. Like you said some albergues were fine about letting them camp. Also we encountered more than a few camp grounds along the way. Camping is fun but I'd rather not lug around extra weight plus I enjoy the fellowship of the albergues personally. To each his own. Buen camino 😉

The vast majority of the abandoned buildings I encountered had no roofs. But still, they would shelter you from the wind and provide a bit of privacy.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The vast majority of the abandoned buildings I encountered had no roofs. But still, they would shelter you from the wind and provide a bit of privacy.
We lucked out with this one. The rest of the house was sketchy, but the floor above the entry hall was solid and we cleared the room of all debris. It was dusty as hell but did the job

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.