• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

This ONLY applies to women...

P

Pattii

Ok I am gonna ask it. No one has to answer and hopefully the men will respectfully decline to comment unless it is a damned good one.

For those women who still need to be concerned with our feminine hygiene and brave enough to discuss it here ...I am wondering if there are similarities to the products there that we have here and are they readily available? I had a hell of a time in Jamaica...now Im not saying Spain will be the same but it would be nice to not have to carry the extra weight for the entire journey.

Any insight Ladies who have already done the Camino...?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I didn't have any trouble finding sanitary products in the supermarkets. They are pretty much the same.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I found what I needed easily enough in the local supermarkets.

I carried my own from home, but I've lived in other countries in Europe without difficulty finding similar products

Actually you just might find some guys chipping in saying they bought feminine hygiene products too and used them on their feet!!!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm a female but I have no idea what so special with US products in this area but we here in Europe have menstruation as well and have quite good products for it. But I can't promise that it is exactly as the stuff you have in the US.

I had no problem to find pads and tampons in even the smallest tienda. The only thing i didn't like was that the small tiendas sold the pads without wings and I prefer with wings when hiking.

I started to use a diva cup (menstrual cup) 4 months ago... And it's the best thing in the world!!!! Should have done it years ago!!! You onlu have to empty it 2-3 times a day, no leaks, no odors....i run, swim, and don't need to worry about finding a decent bathroom every 2-3 hours due to my heavy flow!!!

Spain is a first world country. In many ways its much more advanced as Canada. Jamaica is at the other end of the spectrum and there is no comparison to be made.

You won't have problems finding any product you can imagine. (unless you can't read the label)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Spain is a first world country. In many ways its much more advanced as Canada. Jamaica is at the other end of the spectrum and there is no comparison to be made.

You won't have problems finding any product you can imagine. (unless you can't read the label)
Im fussy...lol. And yes I am aware that Jamaica is 3rd world but they do have high end markets. Its the product itself...like wings...lol As I said I am a bit fussy but I know what works for me. I have no idea what the difference is in products from Canada/US to Europe...But so far everyone says its good to go so yay!

Actually you just might find some guys chipping in saying they bought feminine hygiene products too and used them on their feet!!!!
lol I probably shouldn't tell but when I read that I was thrown back to my preteen years... My brother is 5 years younger than me and I remember one time him being very little and running out of the bathroom with a towel tied to his neck and two pads taped around his wrists; He was being a super hero and the pads were bullet blockers evidently... lmao!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Pattii - you can buy everything you need in Spain.
And it's true about wearing Panty Liners on feet - I did when I returned from Camino last June, to protect the healing blisters. :rolleyes:

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I had a good laugh over your post Kiwi...well they are after all sanitary...why not use them. I actually think our red cross training says they are a good option. I actually have a couple in my medi kit for that purpose...but I don't usually discuss it...grins. I am not a prude but I am very private with certain issues...lol So this is good for me...

Well, once on an airplane going to an important meeting, I managed to spill most of a glass of milk on my navy blue business suit. As I mopped with the all too inadequate napkin which was leaving behind a lot of lint, the flight attendant, male, presented a sanitary napkin. It worked wonders, very absorbent and no lint. Only thing , it did leave me with a very red , embarrassed, face.

Actually if you lift the big secret and tell us exactly which product you are using at home we can easily tell you the European equivalent of it ;-) Buen Camino! SY

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Everything is available on Camino - But I took some supplies since I am very fuzzy about various size tampons for heavy to light days, and took the air out of the ziplock and it was so think I was able to put it away until I needed it.

If you are on the pill, don't skip a month, I mean don't take the pill back to back, as you will have double the flow when you get back, trust me I was bleeding for more than 15 days never again.
** my periods were so light I didn't have one, when I was training for the Camino I didn't have much of a period with all the walking, and exercising, and ditto during the Camino. I researched about it, and hold true for some athletes as some women end up skipping their periods the flow is lighter, so that was the case for me. I just got back so I'll be curious what the next month will be like since I am not walking more than 5 km a day.

And please, please, PLEASE don't leave those sanitary objects lying on the side of the Camino.
Believe it or not, I saw many discarded along The Way.
Disgusting and lazy behavior!

Everything is available on Camino - But I took some supplies since I am very fuzzy about various size tampons for heavy to light days, and took the air out of the ziplock and it was so think I was able to put it away until I needed it.

If you are on the pill, don't skip a month, I mean don't take the pill back to back, as you will have double the flow when you get back, trust me I was bleeding for more than 15 days never again.
** my periods were so light I didn't have one, when I was training for the Camino I didn't have much of a period with all the walking, and exercising, and ditto during the Camino. I researched about it, and hold true for some athletes as some women end up skipping their periods the flow is lighter, so that was the case for me. I just got back so I'll be curious what the next month will be like since I am not walking more than 5 km a day.
Happy Happy Joy Joy...did you have a good Camino...very proud of you!

I don't do the pill for those reasons...it just makes me bleed worse. I also am particular about products. I am all about comfort so I tend to really be picky. I am going to bring some and then see what I can find. I know at the end of the day the only month(s) I am most concerned about are when I'm actually on the Camino. The rest I can buy there and if worse comes to worst I can have someone send something as I will be overseas for quite some time.

And please, please, PLEASE don't leave those sanitary objects lying on the side of the Camino.
Believe it or not, I saw many discarded along The Way.
Disgusting and lazy behavior!
I simply cannot believe people do that...its absolutely mind blowing that a woman could be so dirty and disgusting. I don't know what is wrong with people seriously... how hard can it be to bag it up and take it to a garbage can for heaven sake...

SHAME ON those who litter...double shame on a woman who litters in that way...

RE: the multi-uses of pads--a friend told me that in the past, before backpacks were designed for women (or as comfortable as many of the men's are now), she and her friends would use pads to protect their shoulders from the rubbing of the straps.

Panty liners - available across Spain - make wonderful heel protection padding and gauze bandage replacements. A woman pilgrim showed me this trick this mast May.

As a side note, and as a fellow who grew up with sisters, and living with various women I can also note that it seemed to when I was in a tienda or super mercado that most of the major North American brands are available in Spain, France too. The selection may be lacking in smaller towns but is better (duh!) in the larger cities and towns and cities. But the basic feminine hygiene need can be aptly met. One just needs to be flexible and retain a sense of humor about something that is a natural function.

That said, I hereby pile on the scrum in this thread with concurring about littering of any kind...eeeew!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I had to share carrying my wife's sanitary pads. http://philippine-grocers.com/produ...y_id=2&product_category_id=&search=&brand_id=
She is allergic to the vast majority and these are one of the very few brands she tolerates. When we go back to her country we fill our suitcases with a year's supply. Risking the local stuff, even good quality, wouldn't have been worth the risk, given a previous really bad experience. As they are so bulky and take up so much space and we were away for two months, I had to help with the carrying.
So maybe if any camino threatening allergies etc are involved, carting it all around would be a good move.

tampons are great as wadding for starting a camp fire should you be caught out in the cold!

Im fussy...lol. And yes I am aware that Jamaica is 3rd world but they do have high end markets. Its the product itself...like wings...lol As I said I am a bit fussy but I know what works for me. I have no idea what the difference is in products from Canada/US to Europe...But so far everyone says its good to go so yay!

Ok, love a TMI thread! But truth be told I had mine both times I walked!! Literally as the plan landed...so did my period. Despite having just had it in the US!! Damn! However, the Pharmacia's are wonderful! They are very helpful and considerate and I also found what I was looking for in the grocery stores (most of the time!)

Another thought...dark pants..Personally I was very grateful on more than a few occasions that I had black hiking pants on!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
OK loving this thread! Thanks to the men who are brave enough to carry pads for their wives and brave enough to see the value of a sanitary pantyliner without scruntching noses!

HUGE HUGS to all...for this input!

That tends to happen to me to when I travel which is why I was asking about it ahead of time. The worst is being caught off guard...and only finding products that you know are going to give you a huge hassle.

...its absolutely mind blowing that a woman could be so dirty and disgusting. ...double shame on a woman who litters in that way...

Sorry, but that sounds a bit sexist! What is the difference of a man or woman littering the Camino? Apart, obviously, of what they are littering it with?
SY

Sorry, but that sounds a bit sexist! What is the difference of a man or woman littering the Camino? Apart, obviously, of what they are littering it with?
SY
This is entirely sexist...indeed. I meant it that way. I did say shame on anyone who litters and double shame on a woman that litters with a soiled sanitary product.
Everyone can litter of course but for the most part only women can litter with bloody used sanitary napkins/tampons. That is the point exactly. I think its disgusting when people leave their bodily waste unburied or dirty tissue along the way but it is worse by far and outrageous that a woman would leave soiled sanitary products as well.

Several reasons. First perhaps the TP would break down if it were biodegradable (which is what I plan on taking) but I don't think tampons and pads break down that fast.
Second they are bloody. That attracts all sorts of animals that may not regularly be on route. Most animals will not go shove their faces in faeces...but they will with blood of any sort. They are attracted to it. Its like putting your food high at a campsite with bears...if you don't they come a-knocking.
Third because of my faith I believe these things should be kept...private....not like I don't think I can talk about it or ask someone about something. But this is a bodily function in my personal opinion that should be kept private. There should be a little mystery in a woman's world. I would be absolutely horrified if I found someones bloody pad along the way. I think its uncivilized. That is my opinion.
AND it is a woman's issue...literally...not a man's...which is why I chastised women and not men.

To me its the same as leaving a used condom around...just as disgusting.

Im all for the equality of the sexes but there are some ways men and women are very different. I expect women to squat to pee and I expect women to clean up their sanitary products....lol period.!

Last edited by a moderator:

To me its the same as leaving a used condom around...just as disgusting.

Seen it, and you really don't want to know where! BTW for <<<that one it takes two normally. Just want to state my personal opinion: Both men and women do, unfortunately, litter the Camino and both should be equally ashamed of doing so.

Buen - litter free - Camino para tod@s - SY

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Brilliant! Good one! SY
agreed ...it should be mandatory reading before doing any long hike or camping in nature. Its all about leaving it the way you found it...or even better...leaving it better than you found it.

One guy I read about...can't remember who...decided to pick up garbage alone the way for one of the weeks he was there...I think thats how the story goes. It was his way of giving back to the Camino.

... One guy I read about...can't remember who...decided to pick up garbage alone the way for one of the weeks he was there...I think thats how the story goes. It was his way of giving back to the Camino.

There are more than one that are doing this, Spanish hospitaleros even do semi regular clean ups of the camino under the theme of "por un camino limpio / for a clean way". There is NO reason NOT to join them and to take one more coke bottle, or similar, out than you have taken in ;-) SY

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I need to second the use of the Diva Cup. I will be walking in April and I just bought mine today. Worrying about that while walking (and possibly having it TWICE while walking), is something that I just don't want to deal with. Not only do you not have to carry supplies and worry about where to change stuff out in the open and how to dispose of it, but the Diva Cup, or whatever version you get, lasts for years, so it's good for the environment as well. It's ideal for the camino AND for life and I think a lot more women should think about this option!

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.