• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

This time will be different...less is more!

Sarahandlouise

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2013
As Louise and I prepare to return to the Camino cut short by bereavement in April we have decided on a few changes. I have accepted that I am not going to be the Camino Chemist! Last time I took not one set of antibiotics but three different types to cover all eventualities. I had every type of medicine and painkiller,dressings,gels and sprays and although when we left many fellow pilgrims benefitted from my supplies I am leaving health care to the professionals this time around.
Clothes ...one less of everything.
In September we will leave the sleeping bags and take a silk liner.
Flip flops(thongs for our American friends) will stay as taking off the shoes at the end of the day and walking to eat our pilgrims menu regardless of the temperature was priceless.
Louise's hat much as it was essential was so aesthetically awful that it has to be swopped for something else(see the blog http://www.walkthecamino.wordpress.com )
Socks..we now know what works, I gave Louise mine she gave hers to me and suddenly we both felt better.
Left arm sunburn will be a thing of the past and a higher factor employed.
Take more orange barocca as we could only find mint flavour in Spain.
Ditch the poncho...I'd rather get wet!
Collect more contact details , we missed the opportunity to get e mail addresses from a few special people and are now trying to find them.....thank goodness for modern technology and social media.
Take my chances and leave the industrial strength and sized bed bug spray behind!
So just 37 days to go before we return and the excitement is building. I showed a group of friends the film ' The way' yesterday and interrupted their viewing with ' I was there, I stood there, I stayed there' despite that they share my sheer joy our return.
Thank you once again for your help and advice .....we could not have done this without you all.
Sarah and Louise

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thank you so much the sharing of your experiences are so valuable for the newbie.

The "less is more" insights are so important from my perspective and I am particularly taken with the "rather get wet" comment.

I'd appreciate other insights about how it is possible to strip out the excessive and how to keep it simple and to make it real.

Dax

I would say it is ok to get wet, so long as you have the facilities to dry off at the end of the day. We spent several consecutive days in hard rain without drying facilities at the end of the day. It was extremely unpleasant to put on cold and wet clothes in the morning. I didn't take a poncho because of the negative press I read on the forums, but I would definitely consider one if I have the opportunity to walk another camino.

Buen camino, Maggie

Daily report from Camino Frances Apr/May 2013 at http://magwood.wordpress.com

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Sarahandlouise said:
Ditch the poncho...I'd rather get wet!
Was wandering round some monastery ruins towards the end of a Camino and got caught in a lovely warm shower without my poncho. A week later I was still lovely and warm - tucked up with pneumonia.

SarahandLouise:

Sounds as if you have a plan.

That said, I do recommend you bring a poncho or rain gear of some kind.

Ultreya,
Joe

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I too truly hate ponchos, however this Spring along the Via Podiensis it rained every day, copiously, from Le Puy until almost Moissac including three days of snow rain and sleet. Luckily I had a rain jacket and rain pants and gaiters, I remained dry. The contents of my backpack fared less well since the rain coat provided with most backpacks are good only against light showers. Weather is changing and past experience only counts for past experience any more. Should you decide against a poncho do make other arrangements once the contents of your backpack are wet you will be in serious trouble-gaiters in wet weather are a goodsend and take 95% of the mud of the dust of the dirt and upon reaching Galicia protect against the cow flops something one should consider on a less is more camino.

First time round we got caught leaving Pamplona and the poncho was a nightmare in windy conditions. Everything inside my backpack is packed into waterproof bags so we never had any issues with our gear getting wet and also makes everything easier to find as contents were written on the outside of the bag in permanent marker. We managed with good quality waterproof jackets and trousers.

Im looking forward to reading your blog while you are there. I followed you last time and was saddened with your bad news. Some great tips there. Not sure id agree with leaving the poncho behind. It was a lifesaver during my last camino in may.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Good for you! What is orange barroca ?? Am I missing something? :wink:
Buen camino!

The day we walked to Rabanal we remember as a dry dusty day on an orange path. The girls who arrived three hours after us remember it as the day of a huge thunderstorm in mud up to their ankles.
I really would think twice about leaving raingear behind.

I loved the post and enjoyed the replys, I start from Pamplona on the 4th Sept and am trying to see where I can cut things out. However Rain jacket, rain over pants are a must plus a raincoat for my back pack. In my training I have had a couple of chances to try them out and I was warm and cosy. As for thongs in Australia they mean flip flops however A Thong means a very uncomfortable pair of underpants. Anyway back to the contents of my back pack, with the minimum I have 8KGS, I have been training with my full back pack for 8 weeks and I can carry it, but I know day after day might be a different thing. I will see won't I and it's not that far off.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The eagle eyed amongst you will have noticed my mis spelling of Berocca! My excuse is Louise was carrying them and I only ever saw it fizzing in a beaker each morning. It delivers vitamins and minerals and is available from all good chemists. My responsibility was carrying a product called nuun which was dropped into Louise's camelback and my water bottles. This turns water into an electrolyte drink with no added sugar. We found that when walking long distances often in sunshine that added hydration was important. Mine were from a good walking equipment store in our local town but they are made by an American company based in Seattle.
Sarah and Louise

Ah, Berocca ! Forgive me in advance, and I may get shot down in flames for this, but being from the UK , I just don't get this obsession with carrying vitamins! I had this discussion with pilgrims from other countries who were laden down with vast quantities vitamin tablets, and eventually some of them decided to "risk" it, and dump the extra weight.
If you start the day with a zumo, some tostada with a tomato, eat some fruit and an ensalada every day , surely you will get all the vitamins you need :)

Second Fortview, real vitamins are much better then anthing dropped into a waterbottle or fizzing in a cup. Don't forget that red wine in the evening, no vitamins no minerals, a nice myth concerning cholesterol, but wine is woinderful, the best way to finish off a long day.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, Sarah,
How lucky you are to be able to return and resume your Camino so soon. I hadn't seen your blog till now and look forward to reading how it goes for you.

I don't know if you're keeping track of the "pro rain gear" vs. "no rain gear" opinions, but I will weigh in on the side of those who wouldn't walk a Camino without rain gear. I know you sometimes get hot and sweaty in that gear, but walking 8 hours in a cold Galician rain is, IMO, a lot more bearable with rain gear than without.

Buen camino to you, Laurie

I walked the Frances May 13-June 18 with my 16yo son and 18yo daughter. What a fabulous experience with so many adventures every day! I am sure we would all agree that we were very happy with our raincoats and pack covers, which we also used for additional theft protection in the larger city rail stations. We never used the rain pants that we brought along, and didn't just ditch them cause we couldn't financially justify leaving them behind (read: my husband would frown :)) It was easier and actually more comfortable to just not wear the pants and let our quick-dry trousers, well, you know, quick dry. We walked through plenty of rain, too, in that crazy, wet, Camino spring. Also, one of my most favorite things in my rucksack was my amazing, wonderful, enviable, coveted, sun-reflecting, 8oz, Go-Lite umbrella. We all loved that thing in rain and sun. Other pilgrims would laugh at us at first and question the additional weight of the umbrella hanging on the outside of my pack, but they were wishing that umbrella was theirs as we sweated out the meseta or mucked through rainy Galicia. I could have left the rain pants at home, but I would never leave my umbrella!

Louise has just announced she is taking her poncho! I will stick to my waterproof jacket, trousers, backpack cover and dry bags. No doubt when we set off in September and resume our daily blog you can all see the results of our decision.
Another real benefit to our Camino part two is a new set of fascinating people to meet which reminds me of a saying often used in Ireland(where I lived for 4 years) 'There are no strangers only friends you haven't met'.
Sarah

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Less is definitely more. However, I would never attempt the Camino without my Altus and possibly some gaiters to keep the rain off what little of my legs stick out under the hem.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.