• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Thongs ... when done walking for the day

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (Feb 2018)
No, not those kind of thongs.

These ......

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BRC51N6/?tag=casaivar02-20

Evidently they are used by long distance runners (after they run) and by people with foot pain. I am one of the latter, so I will buy a pair to try. They are supposed to be very light and cushiony (sp?), plus you can wear them in the shower.

upload_2017-2-17_12-6-13.png

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
They look very comfortable. Unfortunately I always feel a need to wear fully open toe sandals as it can be chilly in early evenings in spring Caminos, so I usually wear a pair of socks with the sandals. I know, dorky, but my toes stay warm and comfy!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

These ......

Evidently they are used by long distance runners (after they run) and by people with foot pain. I am one of the latter, so I will buy a pair to try. They are supposed to be very light and cushiony (sp?), plus you can wear them in the shower.

View attachment 31931

Those are Oofos. My "camp shoes" have always been crocs, but on the advice given by another poster in another thread, I gave the Oofos a try. They are not just thongs, they are "recovery shoes". And they are little clouds of paradise on my feet.

Seriously, I'm sold. They are going on camino with me instead of my crocs. I have hope they will help keep my plantars at bay post-walking.

They look very comfortable. Unfortunately I always feel a need to wear fully open toe sandals as it can be chilly in early evenings in spring Caminos, so I usually wear a pair of socks with the sandals. I know, dorky, but my toes stay warm and comfy!

Yes, well, that's where tabi (Japanese flip-flop) socks come to play. Embrace your inner dork!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

These ......

View attachment 31931
These are great thongs. I wore Havanans over 33 days and they were not supportive at all, however smaller in size than the OOFS to fit into my backpack. You can't skimp on foot comfort! So yes buy and try.

These look interesting. Do you know how much they weigh? I want something that will serve double duty with the shower and walking around town at the end of the day. I would prefer a closed toe for protection, and possibly a back strap. I was planning on bringing a pair of crocs. I have uses my crocs on a flat trail before to give my feet a rest from a blister. The downside to crocs is how slippery they become as they start to wear. I have seen to many slips and falls, and will not allow crocs on the boat.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Try keen uneeks brilliant.

after a whole life of being adverse to flip flops / thongs sandals, I took to these on my first Camino. Never have my feet been happier!! Spreading of the toes and drying out of puffed skin.... Ahhhh....
I too invested in Injini toe socks in Astorga and this gave comfort to obstinent blisters btw my toes, and gave great support. never cold feet. never again.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
These look interesting. Do you know how much they weigh? I want something that will serve double duty with the shower and walking around town at the end of the day. I would prefer a closed toe for protection, and possibly a back strap. I was planning on bringing a pair of crocs. I have uses my crocs on a flat trail before to give my feet a rest from a blister. The downside to crocs is how slippery they become as they start to wear. I have seen to many slips and falls, and will not allow crocs on the boat.

My Oofos flip-flops weigh 9 oz. By comparison, my Crocs Karin clogs (Mary Jane style w/ 2 straps) weigh 8 oz.

(Oofos also has slides and clogs, but don't know their weights. )

Warning, Oofos may spoil your other shoes for you. I used to think my Crocs were the most comfortable thing I ever had the privilege to grace my feet with post walking. After a couple days around the house in the Oofos, the Crocs feel like flat, hard cardboard.

@fenix do the Oofos get slippery (loose traction) as they wear? It does not take long for the crocs to start loosing traction.

Well, that's not something I've noticed with my crocs. But I've also never hiked in them. I use them for post-hike and camp shoes. I got the ones with straps so I could use them for stream crossing, but I'm pretty lazy about changing my shoes for that, and end up just splashing through and walking my hiking shoes dry.

I also use my crocs for house shoes, gardening, and errands and they've been incredibly durable. I haven't noticed a change in traction.

My biggest concern about the Oofos is durability - they are so soft and cushy. I don't intend to hike hike in them, but I want them to be evening/town shoes too - not just albergue/shower shoes.

I've only had the Oofos a few days now, but I'm taking them camping and on lots of city errands over the next couple months to see how they hold up.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Birkenstock EVAs worked for me, you can wear your regular socks or bare feet in them. Walked Burgos to Santiago in them as well as in Albergue and around town, no problems. And I wear them all the time at home, including right now. Very light and only $35 as I recall.

Birkenstock EVAs worked for me, you can wear your regular socks or bare feet in them. Walked Burgos to Santiago in them as well as in Albergue and around town, no problems. And I wear them all the time at home, including right now. Very light and only $35 as I recall.
I think Birkenstocks are a great shoe, and know several peoole who love them. Unfortunately they do not work for me. I am rather flat footed and the shape of their pronounced arch absolutely kills my feet!

I think Birkenstocks are a great shoe, and know several peoole who love them. Unfortunately they do not work for me. I am rather flat footed and the shape of their pronounced arch absolutely kills my feet!

My point exactly, shoe recommendations are not significant as well all have different feet. My wife cannot wear the Birkenstocks either.

It did amaze me when I was inducted into the Air Force and some guys THREW shoes at me after sizing me up and they all were really comfortable from the first day. How did they do that? I wish I still had those 'Vietnam" combat boots, they were great.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Well, that's not something I've noticed with my crocs. But I've also never hiked in them. I use them for post-hike and camp shoes. I got the ones with straps so I could use them for stream crossing, but I'm pretty lazy about changing my shoes for that, and end up just splashing through and walking my hiking shoes dry.

I also use my crocs for house shoes, gardening, and errands and they've been incredibly durable. I haven't noticed a change in traction.

My biggest concern about the Oofos is durability - they are so soft and cushy. I don't intend to hike hike in them, but I want them to be evening/town shoes too - not just albergue/shower shoes.

I've only had the Oofos a few days now, but I'm taking them camping and on lots of city errands over the next couple months to see how they hold up.
Hi
how have the oofos held up for durability?
Thank you

My daughter-in-law and two sister-in-laws all love their Oofas! It's helped their plantar fasciatis, but are quite expensive. Although not too heavy, they are not as lightweight as the various Croc options.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back