• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Thoroughly depressing

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
Time of past OR future Camino
walking every day for the rest of my life
I just spent half an hour looking through my photos from the Via de la Plata earlier this year. The few days in Seville were brilliant and amazing and I felt nostalgic. Then the day we started walking it started raining and did not stop for a week. By the time I got to the end of the week in photos, I was thinking fondly of some of the scenery we saw, but depressed at the wetness! It was actually horrible. A bad day on the camino is NOT better than being tucked up in bed with a good book! Not by day five of rain anyway. I am not in the least bit interested in returning!
And I am very grateful that our first few walks were not so hard or we would never have continued.

PS I'll be back;-)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You walked in May I think? Hope it will be OK for us in April, a bit further north (Salamanca to SDC). If too horrible we'll decamp.

Hmm I go end of March, wanted to start in Zamora for the Sanabres.
Due to different reasons it will be the Frances from Carrion de los Condes. Think I will get my share of rain too...:D

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Oh, yes. March rain.
I will never forget walking in the blowing sleet storm from San Juan de Ortega to Atapuerca. My hands felt frozen (in spite of gloves), and a couple of times I nearly fell over my poles because they were getting blown across my legs in the howling wind, and I was woozy from the damp cold. And this after 5 days of rain, snow, mist, drizzle.
It. Was. Terrible.
But you know what? The amazing thing is how much resilience can come from that kind of experience. And how much common sense. The next time I found myself in similar weather, it didn't seem so much of a big deal--but I also didn't try to push past my limits again. Who needs hypothermia?

Walking from Zamora, Sanabres to S de C. In May.
We had some coldish days , this April, from Caceres to Zamora.
Full of optimism and wearing shorts!

I just spent half an hour looking through my photos from the Via de la Plata earlier this year. The few days in Seville were brilliant and amazing and I felt nostalgic. Then the day we started walking it started raining and did not stop for a week. By the time I got to the end of the week in photos, I was thinking fondly of some of the scenery we saw, but depressed at the wetness! It was actually horrible. A bad day on the camino is NOT better than being tucked up in bed with a good book! Not by day five of rain anyway. I am not in the least bit interested in returning!
And I am very grateful that our first few walks were not so hard or we would never have continued.

PS I'll be back;-)
Funny Kiwifamily.
Where are you off to in 2017?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Avoiding rain was the primary reason that I chose to walk August/September this year. I had a few days with rain, but not all day, and not too heavy. It was very hot in August when I started, but I quickly got used to the fact that I was going to be sweaty, and it made me appreciate that shower at the end of the day so much more. :) I also appreciated clear blue skies, allowing me to see the beautiful countryside I was walking through. And carrying my own shade in the form of a hands free umbrella made walking the Meseta in the heat much more tolerable.
However, I wouldn't walk the Via de la Plata in the summer. I do know my limits!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I started from Almeria early May and had some really wet days but also lots of hot ones too. If I recall rightly it was dry once I reached the Via de Plata at Merida by which time I was a few days behind Rachel and family.

Al the Optimist, you are so...well, optimistic! You are right - after the rain we hit the thirties. We spent the whole walk consciously not complaining about the rain or the heat!!! (Although it was disappointing to walk through the mountains of the Sanabres in pouring rain and only snatch glimpses of the splendor!)
Funny Kiwifamily.
Where are you off to in 2017?
In forty days we are sending our 14 year old to India for three months to tutor the children of a missionary family who are homeschooling.
When we booked his flights there were some Very Good Deals so hubby and I (and Grandpa) are going to meet him in Malaysia for a week on his return. (Hubby's mum was from there so we'll be visiting family and he lived half his childhood there - the other half across the ditch)
We have a walking goal to knock off every track in a book about our city!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I just spent half an hour looking through my photos from the Via de la Plata earlier this year. The few days in Seville were brilliant and amazing and I felt nostalgic. Then the day we started walking it started raining and did not stop for a week. ... depressed at the wetness! It was actually horrible. A bad day on the camino is NOT better than being tucked up in bed with a good book! Not by day five of rain anyway. I am not in the least bit interested in returning!
And I am very grateful that our first few walks were not so hard or we would never have continued. PS I'll be back;-)

My first day, on my first Camino attempt was the walk from Merida to Aljucen - and it rain virtually the whole way. Luckily I had a Basque pilgrim to help guide the way and as the day would have been my father's 99th birthday I simply chose to ignore the rain and take in the experience. I was able to recall the vision on the TV the previous night - the bullfight patrons in Madrid had all their winter woolies on and light snow fell.
So yes PLEASE do not let those five days govern your Camino experiences; return to the Via de la Plata (maybe early June) and start in Salamanca.
Buen Camino.;)

Famous last words - even a bad day (or days) hiking the camino is/are better than good days at home. Most people hike the Via de la Plata in the spring, and almost no one walks it in the fall - they don't know what they're missing!

On a slightly different note, for what it's worth, I'm going through severe withdrawal pangs as of late ...

Al the Optimist, you are so...well, optimistic! You are right - after the rain we hit the thirties. We spent the whole walk consciously not complaining about the rain or the heat!!! (Although it was disappointing to walk through the mountains of the Sanabres in pouring rain and only snatch glimpses of the splendor!)

In forty days we are sending our 14 year old to India for three months to tutor the children of a missionary family who are homeschooling.
When we booked his flights there were some Very Good Deals so hubby and I (and Grandpa) are going to meet him in Malaysia for a week on his return. (Hubby's mum was from there so we'll be visiting family and he lived half his childhood there - the other half across the ditch)
We have a walking goal to knock off every track in a book about our city!
You are amazingly adventurous. And your son is following suit. Great walks in our city!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Out of our 35 days walk in 2012, we had 31 days of rain. Not constantly, but several showers a day. The poncho was never far away :oops:
And because of the bad weather I searched for an explanation for this weather... and I found an explanation ;)

Probably someone walking close to me deserved all that rain :D:D:D

Avoiding rain was the primary reason that I chose to walk August/September this year. I had a few days with rain, but not all day, and not too heavy. It was very hot in August when I started, but I quickly got used to the fact that I was going to be sweaty, and it made me appreciate that shower at the end of the day so much more. :) I also appreciated clear blue skies, allowing me to see the beautiful countryside I was walking through. And carrying my own shade in the form of a hands free umbrella made walking the Meseta in the heat much more tolerable.
However, I wouldn't walk the Via de la Plata in the summer. I do know my limits!
Living in LA for decades turned out to be a good prep for walking the VDLP on a number of occasions during June and July. Very hot most days, no rain and no need for a jacket or a sleeping bag which helped with traveling light. Most days I started around 5 am, the sun was up by 9 and I was off the road by noon or 1pm. Washed hiking clothes daily. Clothes dried in an hour.

You walked in May I think? Hope it will be OK for us in April, a bit further north (Salamanca to SDC). If too horrible we'll decamp.
Decamp or wimp out?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
How is walking the meseta in April? I'm thinking of starting in Burgos this time and had wanted a spring experience since my first Camino was autumn.

This year walking the Portuguese camino from Lisbon I had 18 days of rain, but hey this is the CAMINO (PILGRIMAGE) so it is expected, some year has been better, in a long journey you get everything and everything is welcome, i wouldn't have any other way or I would stay at home in my comfortable armchair, the only reason I am doing the Caminos is the attraction to reach where James is rested and pay my respect to him, the rest doesn't have any importance.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Why did you expect only the weather you wanted: for the locals that rain was heaven sent? Why did you expect anything at all? However, if you centre your life on expectations and if those expectations are not fulfilled - there's plenty else to try but why blame the camino: it is what it is! Take or leave it, love it or hate it; it won't care, if it changes it changes and if it doesn't it doesn't. That is the way of the camino...........................

PS I'll be back;-)
Luck plays a role in everything in life. I walked in May 2015, and every day was almost a heatwave! I was lucky, I suppose, and happy about it. There again, I have had (we all have) miserable wet, depressing vacations somewhere at some time or other. As the saying goes, "There is no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes." I say, Never give up. Try again another time, and it can be as different as night and day.

Y'all are marshing my mellow ;). I am starting my Camino the second week in May and I was letting all the talk of rain get to me.... So today I decided to walk about 4 miles out in a rain storm in 50 degrees and I am feeling somewhat better now.... It is a pilgrimage after all and it is about letting go of control and trusting...I am getting quite excited... My son was going but now he has bowed out gracefully... I am scared to go alone but encouraged by this forum!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am just remembering one of my first great lessons on the Camino.

I recall walking in heavy rain for several days and discovering that it was not so bad, and I would survive. How great was that? Reconnecting with nature, getting real. It also intensified to the point of ecstasy the pleasure of warmth and being dry at the end of the day. Something that had become ho-hum and I normally take for granted.

I am just remembering one of my first great lessons on the Camino.

I recall walking in heavy rain for several days and discovering that it was not so bad, and I would survive. How great was that? Reconnecting with nature, getting real. It also intensified to the point of ecstasy the pleasure of warmth and being dry at the end of the day. Something that had become ho-hum and I normally take for granted.
I LOVE it and whole heartedly agree! I could use a little reminder of that myself...realized today that i may need to wear my waterproof hiking boots and PANTS as well...I know that "the rain in Spain falls mainly on the plain" and that the weather in May can be unpredictable...my research has run the gamut....rain, snow, cold, hot...expect the unexpected but don't over pack...quite the challenge...my list changes daily. Well, at least everytime I try to hike up a mountain with a full pack anyways ;)

I share your sense of resilience - my kids have learnt they can walk for a week in the rain and not complain, and walk in nearly 40 degrees and not complain - and I am proud of them......and at the same time your post highlights something that perhaps made our time difficult for us - some days there was no warmth at the end of the day, no hot shower and cold showers are miserable when you are already shivering....and putting wet clothes on again the next day never gets easier!
I would return and walk in the rain again even though it can be hard - I was just really surprised at the emotion evoked as I looked through our dreary photos! And having to detour because of a swollen river resulting in a 42km day in constant rain was truly hard for the youngest (10 years). She hobbled the last five kilometers into town, at one stage a big silent tear rolling down her cheek - but she refused my offer for me to walk on quickly and come back with a taxi! She complains about lesser things at home;-)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Rachel, hope you and your inspiring family had a wonderful Christmas! I'm not a martyr that's for sure, and I'm so grateful that we have choice about what we tackle. As I said in my earlier post, if the VDLP is too horrible in late April, we'll go elsewhere to walk.

I was just really surprised at the emotion evoked as I looked through our dreary photos! And having to detour because of a swollen river resulting in a 42km day in constant rain was truly hard for the youngest (10 years). She hobbled the last five kilometers into town, at one stage a big silent tear rolling down her cheek - but she refused my offer for me to walk on quickly and come back with a taxi! She complains about lesser things at home;-)
I suspect that is why you found the memories a bit depressing. You were not simply "enjoying" your own resilience-building adventure; you were feeling responsible for how your children felt. It is harder to be philosophical about discomfort or inconveniences when you are suffering both for yourself and others.

I suspect that is why you found the memories a bit depressing. You were not simply "enjoying" your own resilience-building adventure; you were feeling responsible for how your children felt. It is harder to be philosophical about discomfort or inconveniences when you are suffering both for yourself and others.
That's exactly it! Although the kids came eagerly and coped admirably, I wanted (I realize now) more pleasant experience for them, not so much "growth"! I wanted them to want to walk again, but they don't. It was not just the rain. There were more difficult people this time, they were somewhat alienated from others for the first two weeks because there were no Spanish or English speakers (only German, Polish and Italian), there were not the same close connections they'd had with one or two particular people on previous walks.....quite possibly the post-walk anti-camino sentiments they now have influence my emotions too.
Thanks for your insight @C clearly

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The alienation bit worries me. I'm walking with two others on the VDLP (only from Salamanca) in April, one of them has never walked a camino before. I really want them to meet and get to know lots of other people. I've walked the CF myself so frequently I was seduced by the VDLP but am doing a bit of a rethink.

No, don't rethink Kanga! Your experience may well be different! I actually felt very connected because I can bumble along in both Polish and German and so I ended up being the "translator" - it turns out my kids prefer to be able to talk independently with people instead of needing me as a go-between. On previous caminos, that had been one of the highlights for them! There were lots of English speakers after Salamanca!!

I would have to rate the Via de la Plata as my favorite of all caminos, even though it was - except for Lisboa to Porto - the 'loneliest' camino I've walked. I do have the advantage of being able to speak German fluently, and can hold my own in French and Spanish, but there is something really special about this camino - it is really about getting in touch with yourself, and getting away from all the blah-blah and b.s. - it's mainly you when you're on the Via. I loved it - it's a really special walk, but admittedly, not for everyone ...

Last edited:
The smell of rain can reduce stress and improve your mood by 60% or at least that's according to lots of "quotes" on social media. Planning to walk in April/May and preparing mentally to use this as my mantra. If this fails and it may well if blessed with days on end of rain then I fully intend to use the KiwiFamily as my inspiration.

February 2014, slipped in MUD on the slippery rocks otherside of Alto de Perdon, and sprained ankle. Remainder of pilgrimage my daily prayer: Please no more mud. I slipped, slid, and splashed through mud all the way to Fisterra. That's how prayer was answered. I vowed never a winter camino again. If it were not for family and life obligations, I'd be on the way right now, mud and all. But, summer 2017: here I come.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Y'all are marshing my mellow ;). I am starting my Camino the second week in May and I was letting all the talk of rain get to me.... So today I decided to walk about 4 miles out in a rain storm in 50 degrees and I am feeling somewhat better now.... It is a pilgrimage after all and it is about letting go of control and trusting...I am getting quite excited... My son was going but now he has bowed out gracefully... I am scared to go alone but encouraged by this forum!
I walked 5May to 9June 2016 and had gorgeous weather. My friends who walked April 2016 got very wet/muddy.

I did the Camino last year and walked through the maseta on April 29th, it was beautiful sunny, a little cool at times but just an amazing experience buen Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I recall walking in heavy rain for several days and discovering that it was not so bad, and I would survive. How great was that? Reconnecting with nature, getting real. It also intensified to the point of ecstasy the pleasure of warmth and being dry at the end of the day.
your post highlights something that perhaps made our time difficult for us - some days there was no warmth at the end of the day, no hot shower and cold showers are miserable when you are already shivering....and putting wet clothes on again the next day never gets easier!
Day 8 on the Via Gebennensis was torrential rain all day. The kind of rain that pours down at a 45 degree angle and hits you right in the face no matter how you try to avoid it. There's no ducking in to doorways or waiting it out in a cafe, you must walk on. Clothes get wet right down to your underwear and boots fill up and overflow. Each step brings a sloshing, squishing rush of cold water between your toes. At several points you laugh out loud, really loud, almost a roaring against the storm...because there just is no alternative.
And then you finally arrive to Revel-Tourdan and Yves opens the door to the warmth of his ancient, stone, restored home (you know, the kind of old building you've seen for days and dreamed of restoring if only you had enough money). A roaring fire blazes in the hearth and up the spiral staircase you find a lovely, cozy room and a...BATHTUB!
You truly believe you have found heaven on earth, and as the hot water warms your bones you smile, the rain is forgotten, and peace and gratitude invade your soul.

@kaixo your story is the kind of hallucination we had about Day 5-in-a-row of rain! By day 7 we had designed an awesome albergue;-)

PS I'll be back;-)
Kiwis, sorry to hear about the depression. Not sure when you walked, but I walked from last week of May until the first week of July, and only had two rainy mornings. There were about four rainy nights, but I didn't care about that because I was asleep.

Plus, in June all the flowers are out, and life is brilliant. Could not imagine going any other time!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
@kaixo your story is the kind of hallucination we had about Day 5-in-a-row of rain! By day 7 we had designed an awesome albergue;-)
Ah the dreams we have for those old buildings!
I can only imagine your thoughts/hallucinations after so many days of rain.
P.s. Glad to hear, in spite of it all, that you will be back. ;)

I started on the first of February 2016, done the Astorga this time. It was great, I attach a link of a short Youtube slide show I made. Pour a glass of Spanish Wine and enjoy the Virtual journey.

I started on the first of February 2016, done the Astorga this time. It was great, I attach a link of a short Youtube slide show I made. Pour a glass of Spanish Wine and enjoy the Virtual journey.
Thanks for sharing the nice pictures :)
Nice to dream away when having here cold and snowy weather ;)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Well, I am going to walk the Camino Frances on April/May 2017 and the most important preparation I've been doing is trying to act natural if I have to wake up and walk on the rain everyday. If I get prepared for that, anything I get on the camino is more than expected...

I walked the VdlP last May and experienced lots and lots of rain...and cold, damp evenings in unheated albergues for much of the route from Merida to Salamanca. My mistake was to think the weather would be much warmer and drier than it was, and consequently I didn't have the right combination of clothes to cope with the unseasonal climatic conditions. Que peña!!
A fantastic camino, nonetheless!!

Oh no! I had the same reaction when I moved cross-country to the rainy West-coast... Maybe plan your next Camino with a few flexible days of 'leisure'. If it rains again so thoroughly you can wait it out in a beautiful city. Wish I'd had an extra day in Pamplona!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello Kiwi-family. I am sorry your experiences on the VdlP have had an impact on the children's outlook for future walking and understand your feeling of responsibility for their enjoyment. We were on the VdlP too, in May/June. Am sorry we didn't meet up, we knew you were about, but we only did bits of it this time and my husband had eventually, to give up, me carrying on alone or with friends.

We too find walking in constant rain depressing and difficult. In fact, we intended to walk from Cordoba, where we'd been staying with our grown kids, but the swollen rivers and lack of pilgrims on the Mozarabe, changed our minds and we started from Sevilla instead. Best decision, because we met such great people.

You are giving your kids such gifts of resilience and strength by walking with them.They will carry these gifts through life. Buen camino always to all of you. Carole (and Ian)

And then you finally arrive to Revel-Tourdan and Yves opens the door to the warmth of his ancient, stone, restored home .
Hi, I'm blocking out a few days planning for my upcoming Camino, would you have kept any contacts for the wonderful sounding place in Revel-Tourdan with Yves as your host. It sounds like just the place we would like to stay in.
Thanks
Ross

Hi Ross,

Here is the contact info from my yellow 2014 guide. I hope it is still current.
Chambres et table pelerins: Yves et Marie-Claude Pinget
7 Rue des Soupirs
04 74 84 57 04
06 10 67 02 64

Bon chemin and please post of your experience.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks very much for that information,
cheers

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back