• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Thoroughly inconsistent!

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
Time of past OR future Camino
walking every day for the rest of my life
A few weeks back I started a thread called Thoroughly depressing
It was prompted by an afternoon spent looking at the first week of photos from our Via de la Plata when it rained every day and we often ended up with no warm showers at the end of the day.
I have just spent an hour flicking through photos from a different part of the walk. What a different feeling I am left with! It was HOT, scorching hot! The emotions evoked by those photos are quite different. In fact it was like a completely different camino. I remember exhaustion, mirages, determination not to grizzle about the heat knowing we'd just been walking in rain! And more rain was to come;-)
Photos, images, journals - they bring such powerful memories.
I can't walk any camino this year, but I am ready for another!!!!! And I really want to do one without my kids!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Yes, I agree. Rachael, I know how you feel. For quite a few years I made the choice, willingly and gladly, to put family responsibilities ahead. I'm glad I did. But when I did go back to the Camino, I had such a thrill at being completely alone, with no-one to answer to except myself, no-one to worry about, and no-one even knowing where I was.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I've only walked the VDLP (3 times), but when you talk about walking alone, this is the one for you. You can really get lost in your thoughts and become meditative, as it's rare to come across many others (if any). Yet at the end of the day there are always people in the restaurants, pubs, hostels, etc. to partake in enjoyable company and conversation.

I've only walked the VDLP (3 times), but when you talk about walking alone, this is the one for you. You can really get lost in your thoughts and become meditative, as it's rare to come across many others (if any). Yet at the end of the day there are always people in the restaurants, pubs, hostels, etc. to partake in enjoyable company and conversation.
We walked the VdlP last year (May/June) and walked WITH others almost every day!!!

I walked the VDLP last year also - April/May and only walked with others on a couple of days. I prefer being alone while walking - except when I get lost! Had loads of brief encounters during the day though and enough company in the afternoons and evenings.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We're due to start the Via de la Plata in mid-April this year. We are hoping for relatively warm temperatures and little rain. What will we get in reality??!!

We're due to start the Via de la Plata in mid-April this year. We are hoping for relatively warm temperatures and little rain. What will we get in reality??!!

Climate is what you can expect, weather is what you will get ;-) Sorry, don't have my crystal ball at hand just now - but warm rain comes to mind plus dry sunny, but not to hot days with coolish nights . Buen Camino, SY

When do you start Wendy? We are starting from Sevilla on 15th April.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yes, I agree. Rachael, I know how you feel. For quite a few years I made the choice, willingly and gladly, to put family responsibilities ahead. I'm glad I did. But when I did go back to the Camino, I had such a thrill at being completely alone, with no-one to answer to except myself, no-one to worry about, and no-one even knowing where I was.
You hit the nail on the head :) went from my parents house to a house with my husband who had a 3 year old son. We have been together 32 years. I have never been on my own. this is a major part of my needing to do this pilgrimage. "I've gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please keep me here" can't remember who said that but I like it :)

We walked the VDLP sept-oct. Most of the days we walked alone. Some days we met a few pelgrims in the Alb or we we're alone. More people on the way from Salamanca via the Sanabres to Santiago. We had gorgeous weather !
Realy nice !!

Most read last week in this forum

After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back