• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Thoughts about my upcoming walk

tillyjones

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances June 2015
VDLP May 2017
del Norte Sept 2018
I am using the Camino to mark a major transition. I lost my job some time ago, couldn't find a job, went back to school, used my savings, so had to sell my house (closes next week). So, I am purging all of my belongings down to what fits in my car (using Camino packing thinking). I am first walking the VDLP and then returning to Canada, getting in my car and driving...to where I don't know, and will hope to find a job and somewhere to live. It's all a bit stressful.

Anyway, perhaps these feelings come from the overall chaos and stress I'm experiencing. I was so looking forward to this Camino to leave all of the stress of the past two years behind. I thought, doing what I enjoy, nature, outdoors, walking, travel, etc. will be just what the doctor ordered.

BUT, I am suddenly not excited anymore and quite worried that it's going to make me even more sad. I am now reading many posts of people unhappy on the Camino, or at least encountering a lot of stressors. And a lot of people seem to be struggling with the isolation of the less traveled routes right now. While I am the ultimate 'introvert', I do like people to be around sometimes, even if I don't interact with them, for a sense of comfort for safety purposes and a distraction from the tediousness of my own thoughts. I'm starting to worry that I'm not going to enjoy this Camino, and giving up 6 weeks from job searching and relocating may be something that I end up regretting.

Anyway...just venting.

(and somewhat side note...I'm terrified of dogs and now the fear of dogs has crept in...being alone with an aggressive dog is terrifying to me. This got me thinking about worst case scenarios. What is the emergency number to call (i.e., 911) in Spain??)

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Last edited:
You have a lot of major stresses in life right now. You have done what you needed to do to change things for the better. Life is like the Camino, one step at a time and one foot in front of the other.

Go walk. Just walk. It will be the only thing you need to do for a month or so.
Wake up each day and say "today is good." Just that day. Enjoy your solitude, or new friends, or the rain watering the plants which give us food. Take time to savor the sights you see and the food you eat.

When you are done walking, take the next steps in life.

Hugs.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Tilly. Have just finished the 2nd day of VdlP. There are about 20 pilgrims walking the last two days that I have seen. So there are sightings of others and greetings etc as you go along. However, we came across a French lady yesterday who was being harassed by 2 dogs. There are 4 of us and the dogs went back into the bush. They were only small, but a nuisance.
Perhaps you could bus the first day to Guillena and skip the dogs.
In the albergue tonight there are 2 women who are walking alone.
Have you considered other caminos? Also, when do you plan to start? It is getting hot already here on VdlP.

Tillyjones, you are where you need to be and what you feel (your doubts) virtually all of us on this forum have felt at some time.

All of us, like you, have at some point been called to give up our humdrum lives and go out and find our true passion. For me there is no better place to do that than on the VdlP. It becomes a Hero's Journey where I can find something greater than myself. I've walked with Claude, David, Mary and Michael, pilgrims like you who quit their jobs, sold their houses and walked off across the farm roads of Spain looking for a new life. They all found something wondrous.

If you decide to pursue that journey and walk the VdlP, it's guaranteed that someone or something will pop up when you least expect it and try to persuade you to give up, to reject the call (" I am suddenly not excited anymore and quite worried"). I've walked the VdlP twice and I've lost count of the number of times I wanted to give up. Every time I had good, objective reasons for quitting. The trick is the Camino, the Hero's Journey, isn't supposed to make sense or be objective. It's a journey of the heart.

So, what does your heart tell you to do?

Hi Tilly. Have just finished the 2nd day of VdlP. There are about 20 pilgrims walking the last two days that I have seen. So there are sightings of others and greetings etc as you go along. However, we came across a French lady yesterday who was being harassed by 2 dogs. There are 4 of us and the dogs went back into the bush. They were only small, but a nuisance.
Perhaps you could bus the first day to Guillena and skip the dogs.
In the albergue tonight there are 2 women who are walking alone.
Have you considered other caminos? Also, when do you plan to start? It is getting hot already here on VdlP.
Thanks Sharon. I don't think I want to change plans. And I'm too stubborn to use wheels for any part! I'm landing in Seville May 3rd and I see that the heat is already a factor!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi, Tilly,
I think that even people with the best possible life circumstances experience a fair amount of anxiety and nervousness as their camino draws near, so I am not at all surprised that with all that's going on in your life, you would be having all sorts of worries and nerve/anxiety issues. I think that your instincts were right -- that there is no place better than a Camino to try to sort things out on your own and at your own speed. The distractions of life fall away as you realize all you need to do is get up, walk, eat, wash clothes, eat and sleep. You will have tons and tons of mental energy and space to think, to put things in perspective, to sort it all out in the present. I think you can trust that your initial idea was the right one, and that maybe one of the real downsides of a forum like this is that we parse through every possible problem and every possible negative aspect.

I too am a dog-phobe, but I have a tried and true way to deal with it that has never failed. From another thread, where I wrote:

I am another one of those who has a ridiculous irrational fear of dogs, which comes from an awful childhood bite. I am not even brave enough to bend down and pretend to pick up a rock. I walk solitary caminos most years, and frequently come across dogs that have planted themselves in front of me and are barking loudly and sometimes meanly. My technique is always the same. I stop in my tracks. I start to yell, "oiga, oiga" to get the attention of the owner. The dog keeps barking but since I have stopped at the point that he started barking, he doesn't advance towards me.

At some point all of that commotion will bring out the owner. She/he inevitably says, "pasa pasa, no hace nada." (go on, the dog won't bite.) But I always just stay put and tell the owner that I am afraid and that I will go on once she comes to get the dog. It always works.

Since I walk untraveled caminos a lot, there are many more loose dogs where there are no pilgrims, and I have never ever had a problem with this technique.

Anyway, Tilly, only you can decide whether now is the time to walk the camino for you or not, but I hope you can put aside some of the noise that the forum has produced to make you less positive than you were when the whole journey began. Buen camino, Laurie

Tillyjones, you are where you need to be and what you feel (your doubts) virtually all of us on this forum have felt at some time.

All of us, like you, have at some point been called to give up our humdrum lives and go out and find our true passion. For me there is no better place to do that than on the VdlP. It becomes a Hero's Journey where I can find something greater than myself. I've walked with Claude, David, Mary and Michael, pilgrims like you who quit their jobs, sold their houses and walked off across the farm roads of Spain looking for a new life. They all found something wondrous.

If you decide to pursue that journey and walk the VdlP, it's guaranteed that someone or something will pop up when you least expect it and try to persuade you to give up, to reject the call (" I am suddenly not excited anymore and quite worried"). I've walked the VdlP twice and I've lost count of the number of times I wanted to give up. Every time I had good, objective reasons for quitting. The trick is the Camino, the Hero's Journey, isn't supposed to make sense or be objective. It's a journey of the heart.

So, what does your heart tell you to do?

Thank you @bsewall. That made me tear up a bit. ;) You will be one of my pop ups. And that's why, even though I mostly keep to myself, sometimes I need to reach out to others to get through the tough parts.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It sounds like you are determined, and have made up your mind. I walked my first camino after separating from my partner of 22 years. I'd never really thought about doing it, and 10 days after making the decision I was walking the camino. I wasn't in the greatest shape then, and it was hard. I'm an introvert and it was sometimes lonely. But it was one of the best experiences of my life, and since then I've done two more caminos, and about to start another in one week. Don't second guess and doubt yourself. I think you'll be so glad! And what's the worst that can happen? You stop and do something else.

It's all a bit stressful.
A bit?! Wow, Tilly, that's huge amount of change and uncertainty to absorb in one go.
You couldn't have made a better choice of a way to digest all that, even if at the moment it doesn't feel that way.
One foot in front of the other, and clarity will eventually come, perhaps when you least expect it.

May your journey be deeply blessed...a very buen Camino to you, and please let us know how it went, because we will be wondering.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
hi Tilly,

Sometimes I follow the forum very closely and, consequently, issues reported and discussed become something for me to worry about. After walking 4 caminos, I know these concerns are usually not as 'bad' as they appear on my computer screen.

As much as the forum is a wonderful source of support and information, it can also magnify certain issues simply by mentioning them.

I understand how you are feeling at the moment as I am planning to walk the Via de la Plata next year and have probably been reading the same forum posts you are - and starting to doubt my choice of camino! I appreciate so much the previous replies made to your post as they are encouraging to me to continue with my plans.

buen camino,
Norelle

Good luck Tilly. You are super brave to walk on, in spite of the hurly-burly in your world right now. This will be my first Camino, and the thing that most excites me most is that I will get to walk in one direction for thirty-something days. Each day a new start, new scenery, new friends, new food, new weather, and all the while I am walking towards something so much bigger than myself, supported by the energy of love that resides within the pathways and the fellow pilgrims I'll meet on the way. In spite of that, I am also scared of feeling lonely on a busy track, of missing my family, my animals, my bed...:p You will start before me, and I will look forward to hearing about your experience, and drawing inspiration from your posts. Buen Camino x

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am no stranger to feelings of sadness and loss, or chaos and stress for that matter. In my case they are mostly a consequence of thinking too much. Besides that, I'm always judging myself because I don't seem to live up to the ridiculously high standards I somehow 'adopted' along my life.
Having said that, I found that during travel in general (and the camino in particular) my overactive brain grinds to a halt. Which is a good thing, because all that thinking doesn't really get me anywhere. My internal monologue has a distinct loop-like quality and I mostly end up where I started in the first place.
Travel has a way to slam my face in the 'here and now', where I find out that I actually am getting somewhere without a lot of thought and/or judgement. Very refreshing and the eye-opener I seem to need every now and then. The obligatory wake-up call. I may think a lot, but I'm a slow learner.
In hindsight my longest and most intense travel adventures were always after major transitions. Three months of work and travel in Israel after my high school graduation, a year in Australia after my house burned down (during a breakup with my then girlfriend), and most recently a three month camino after the death of my father.
Travel is therapy for me. Time to let stuff sink in, undisturbed. Recalibrate and reconnect. Time and space to rediscover what matters and what doesn't. And, not unimportant, to have some fun, for chrissake! I have never, ever, regretted those travels afterwards. On the contrary, they served as fuel to move on.
I hope you'll brave the fear and worries you speak of, and have an amazing journey.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Tillyjones!
Just a quickie to say .... you can see how many caminos I've walked. I have never, ever been bitten by a dog.
If it makes you feel more secure, take a dog-zapper with you. They don't hurt the dog at all, but the dog can't stand the high pitch noise [which we can't even hear] and runs away.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000IBRI2Y/?tag=casaivar-21
Relax.
Take a deep breath.
Start really looking forward to you camino, which will, I promise, be wonderful and something you will remember for the rest of your life!
Buen camino!

I am using the Camino to mark a major transition. I lost my job some time ago, couldn't find a job, went back to school, used my savings, so had to sell my house (closes next week). So, I am purging all of my belongings down to what fits in my car (using Camino packing thinking). I am first walking the VDLP and then returning to Canada, getting in my car and driving...to where I don't know, and will hope to find a job and somewhere to live. It's all a bit stressful.

Anyway, perhaps these feelings come from the overall chaos and stress I'm experiencing. I was so looking forward to this Camino to leave all of the stress of the past two years behind. I thought, doing what I enjoy, nature, outdoors, walking, travel, etc. will be just what the doctor ordered.

BUT, I am suddenly not excited anymore and quite worried that it's going to make me even more sad. I am now reading many posts of people unhappy on the Camino, or at least encountering a lot of stressors. And a lot of people seem to be struggling with the isolation of the less traveled routes right now. While I am the ultimate 'introvert', I do like people to be around sometimes, even if I don't interact with them, for a sense of comfort for safety purposes and a distraction from the tediousness of my own thoughts. I'm starting to worry that I'm not going to enjoy this Camino, and giving up 6 weeks from job searching and relocating may be something that I end up regretting.

Anyway...just venting.

(and somewhat side note...I'm terrified of dogs and now the fear of dogs has crept in...being alone with an aggressive dog is terrifying to me. This got me thinking about worst case scenarios. What is the emergency number to call (i.e., 911) in Spain??)

Hi I'm a Jennifer and maybe I'm one of those posts you read about with a difficult adjustment period that went on too long for my liking and the loneliness I was feeling. If so, I won't say it wasn't true for me but I will add that this was just the process that comes with my Camino. It is places such as the Forum where you are able share anything (pretty much) and have lots of people who listen and offer their thoughts. I can certainly understand feeling a bit wary even without reading these posts you speak of. It seems like this is more than just a tiring arduous time in your life and with an unknown future I encourage you to consider a few things before deciding on either way. First off, the Camino is wonderful, but it may not be exactly the answer for the questions or level of expectations. The Camino will give you something but it may not be remotely close to what you thought you'd find this is not to say it would be more negative or more positive. It just is what happens. Also, I'm not sure about your financial means and although the Camino can be inexpensive considering the experience one gets in return...it's still an expense. If you are giving up job searching for walking the Camino I would be hesitant going when theres so much at stake. The Camino will always be here. Maybe when sought under more stable conditions without expectations Camino time may be better spent dedicated to finding more solid ground first. Taking care of yourself isn't the easiest task at all and the Camino isn't either. I wish you nothing but the best and if ever I met you along the Way I would give you a big smile and buy you a coffee con leche. Whatever you decide make sure it's for the right reasons. Also, I think you will find many friends after a very brief adjustment time. The Camino makes sure you get what you need and if walking alone just use common sense and trust your gut. That's what I've done and I've felt very safe. Of course, the Frances was my first and very much a nice ease into the Camino way. Many blessings my friend.
Buen Camino
Jennifer

quite worried that it's going to make me even more sad.

My friend, that way of thinking is familiar to me. It's a binary mindset of hope and fear: hoping that a choice will fix our problems, but fearing that this same choice will only lead to further disappointment.

Too often, that's a recipe for paralysis.

What's worked for me in wrangling that kind of thinking: challenge the assumption that anything outside of yourself can "make" you feel sad (or happy). A pilgrimage is but a setting for change: the unburdening of great sadness is ultimately a choice and one that happens gradually. As I see it at least, this is why it is said the real Camino happens after one reaches Santiago.

Often in life we have to just surrender to events and let them take us on an unknown journey. To get better acquainted with the shadow side of experiences. One with no promises of redemption but of a kind of gentle, quiet hope that things will get better.

This is at least what I tell myself as I prepare for my own walk.
I hope this bit of advice helps a little.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi tillyjones - the vdlp is, in many places, stunningly beautiful. That alone is a good tonic. And then walking every day is a powerful way to experience yourself, others and the world around you differently. Sometimes we get the most anxious before things that are - or will be - the most important to us.
Spring is high season on the vdlp - so you will certainly meet people and you will be able, for the most part, to choose how much or how little company you would like. And some of that company will definitely surprise and delight you in ways you could not even imagine now.
best of luck,
Mary Louise

I just want to write a thank you for all of you who took the time to write such thoughtful and inspirational words. I am truly teary as I read through them (partly due to my overall stress level which makes me more vulnerable).

With the issues I deal with, I seldom benefit from the kindness of others, so it is particularly touching and a bit overwhelming. The benefits have been far greater than just my concerns about going on this walk.

A few things have stood out; the reminder that any decision we make has an unknown outcome - it could be great or it could be really horrible and there is no way to know except to walk through it and find out. Regardless of how grim things might feel when I'm walking, I will definitely know that a bad day on the Camino is probably better than a lot of alternatives. Also, I don't really get to interact with people in my everyday life much, so if this walk provides me the potential to meet even one of the type of people who have shown themselves here, then I'll be better for it. I still remember a man that I walked with for a grand total of 3 or 4 hours on the Frances who moved me greatly.

Thanks everybody.

Hi, Tilly,

In 2014 I resigned from my job due to burnout -- gave plenty of notice. My initial plan was to get another position when I actually left. But I realized that I needed some kind of major change, I did not know what.

I ended up signing up for a 4 month retreat at my favorite spiritual center. I sold most of my belongings and drove off with my stuff in my car. Because of my level of burnout, I realized that I needed more than 4 months, and ended up staying for 10 months. I finally figured out where I needed to be and that I needed to give up my profession.

So, I moved into a new area (thankfully near my wonderful brother) and walked the Camino last spring. This transition has been hard, but it's also filled me with joy and new directions that have been transformative.

It's all still unfolding. The Camino gave me space to know that I was going in the right direction. If I had walked it earlier, I'm sure it would have confirmed my intuitions about the drastic life change that was ahead of me.

It gave me a lot of peace and inner knowing of where I am in the world. It taught me that everything is Camino -- taking a pilgrimage with the outcome not predetermined, trusting the waymarkings, not certain of what I will find that day, being held by fellow pilgrims (and holding them as well). All this one step at a time.

May it be so for you!
Holding you in the light,
Priscilla

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Tilley,
You have experienced a lot of traumatic changes in the past few years! Of course you feel like the bottoms come out, question your decisions, and feel at a loss! Not one of us would feel any different, though we might make different decisions to make life a little better. It sounds like you're on the path to heal. It's not a staight path, just like the Camino. Walking is the greatest of healers. So, as noted above, walk -eat -socialize- be alone- enjoy the wonders of the journey! As for the dogs, there was quite a bit written about topic recently- find and digest, to help your fears. In the mean time believe in yourself, trust your intuition, and let the Way do the rest! Buen Camino!
Micah

Tilly, I just want to let you know that I have appreciated many of your comments and insights on this forum. I think the other pilgrims walking along the VDLP (or any path in life) would truly miss out on all you have to offer if you chose not to walk. I wish you a Buen Camino wherever it may be.

Tilly, I just want to let you know that I have appreciated many of your comments and insights on this forum. I think the other pilgrims walking along the VDLP (or any path in life) would truly miss out on all you have to offer if you chose not to walk. I wish you a Buen Camino wherever it may be.

That's sweet. Thanks for that.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Tilly, Your post resonated with me on a number of levels. If you are open, I think you may find this book a worthy read and very comforting in dealing with many of your valid emotions right now. "Living Beautifully with Uncertainty and Change" by Pema Chodron. I cannot begin to count the number of times I have referenced this book when speaking with individuals who are stressed in life for one reason or another or are going through a transition. I truly treasure this book and I believe it is likely available at your local library, too.

Btw, I was attacked by a pack of 8 neighborhood dogs at the age of 10. To this day, my fear of dogs is very real and I will readily admit it did give me a moment of pause when thinking about doing this trip. But, alas, I'm not going to let it stop me because living in fear is not how I want to live my life. So, I plan to take my pepper spray which I always carry, and along with my walking sticks, and @peregrina2000's useful tip, I will manage through it.

Also, when I was going through a major transition in my life, the best piece of advice I was given came from a stranger who said to me, "Be good to yourself during this time." I think walking The Camino is you being good to yourself.

xx

That's sweet. Thanks for that.
Genuinely heartfelt.

On a lighter note, we were terrified of cows on the TMB. It turns out they are harmless (even the ones with horns although I Googled the death by cow stats as we debated how to get around them - 12 people were killed by cows worldwide in 2016 :-0). Needless to say, it worked out (after 30 minutes of overcoming our irrational albeit very real FEAR ). Harmless. Cows are harmless.

Sometimes we just have too much information. Nonetheless, I was also a victim of being surrounded by a pack of dogs as a teenager. I climbed up on to a car and the dogs ran away. They were probably harmless as well which might be why their owners let them run loose. I think I would handle it better now that I have adopted an aggressive dog. He is a rescue dog and "fear aggressive" which means he is aggressive whenever he encounters something new (like someone wearing a hat or riding a bike :) ); I was afraid of my own dog until I realized he was afraid of everything. The best way to deal with my fear aggressive dog (which I would never have running loose) is to simply ignore him and to let him get to know you on his own terms.

I am grateful that you asked about the emergency number in Spain. Again, I thank you for your insights!Boo!.JPG

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Anyway...just venting.

Love your courage and honesty. I don't have experience yet as I don't go till June, but I think the Camino is exactly what you need.

Forgive me for injecting a negative note, @tillyjones, but I bought a Dogdazer on Amazon last year and took it with me on my CF. I kept it in the small stretchy pocket on my backpack waist strap. I never had to use it. BUT I've tested it at home (before and) since as it didn't seem to be working. After repeated tries (mostly on dogs on the other sides of fences), I have to say that mine doesn't work. It could be faulty, but the little battery light comes on when I press the button!? I've read posts by others who have said that this device works, and there's more than one recommendation here on the forum. I hope I'm wrong about this, for your sake.

I had a dog-nut girlfriend a few years ago who told me a lot about dogs. I still keep a few things she told me in mind when confronted by aggressive dogs: Never show your teeth. Don't make eye contact, look down. Face the dog and walk backwards. If their ears go back and they bare their teeth and snarl, you're in trouble - otherwise they might just be afraid of you, or are being overly territorial, or are showing off in front of a second dog. There are quite a few dogs around where I live (edge of forest) so I always take at least one walking pole with me just for the doggies. Hold out your pole tip close to the dog's face and don't let it get behind you (obviously). If you can, keep moving - sideways, backwards.

I plan on walking more isolated and less populated Caminos in future, so I must sort this out. I might contact a dog-training school or talk to a vet and get some advice on what's best to do. I'm a vegetarian, so don't have pets, have never felt comfortable with dogs - they probably sense that, if so that might be part of the problem.

Don't read a book called "Black Dogs" by Ian McEwan. It's an allegorical story, a novel of ideas but with real dogs, my favourite of the few of his books that I've read. I suspect that Mr. McEwan might be a closet vegetarian!

Buen Camino, - Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
I lost my job some time ago, couldn't find a job, went back to school, used my savings, so had to sell my house (closes next week). So, I am purging all of my belongings down to what fits in my car (using Camino packing thinking). I am first walking the VDLP and then returning to Canada, getting in my car and driving...to where I don't know, and will hope to find a job and somewhere to live. It's all a bit stressful.

It's all a bit stressful ... really! Of course it's stressful, and fear of the unknown can be our greatest fear. But you survived ... maybe some bumps and bruises, but you survived! Compared to that the Camino sounds like a walk in the park. The distraction from those life stressors maybe exactly what you need. Your gut told you that already. It's OK to take a break and give your mind a rest. We all need to recharge in one way or another.

I don't think I want to change plans. And I'm too stubborn to use wheels for any part!

Sounds like you have an inner resilience and confidence that you need to reconnect with. You may not realize it now, but it is there and has helped you through your transition.

“So be sure when you step, Step with care and great tact. And remember that life's A Great Balancing Act. And will you succeed? Yes! You will, indeed! (98 and ¾ percent guaranteed) Kid, you'll move mountains.”
Dr. Seuss, Oh, The Places You'll Go!

And a few more: https://www.goodreads.com/work/quotes/2125304-oh-the-places-you-ll-go

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We just finished the VDLP at the end of March. We saw a total of 26 different people on the entire walk, that being said, the alburgues were just opening up and we usually saw people at the end of the day in the alburgues. It is less traveled than CF and has its own charm because of that. More people are walking and I understand the busiest months are may and june. I will write about dogs! I like dogs, but loose dogs are worrisome. Very seldom were there loose dogs, There were dogs in fields protecting animals, but there was good fencing to keep them in. Dogs in peoples houses, again good fences. Occasionally small villages had dogs loose, but usually they were not interested in us so long as we stayed on the camino path. We had our walking sticks handy, but not held in a threatening manner, as dogs seem to know if you are going to hurt them. There is a lot of barking, which I am not used to so I translated it as dogs, cheering us on saying Buen Camino...silly perhaps but positive and diffuses fear.

We just finished the VDLP at the end of March. We saw a total of 26 different people on the entire walk, that being said, the alburgues were just opening up and we usually saw people at the end of the day in the alburgues. It is less traveled than CF and has its own charm because of that. More people are walking and I understand the busiest months are may and june. I will write about dogs! I like dogs, but loose dogs are worrisome. Very seldom were there loose dogs, There were dogs in fields protecting animals, but there was good fencing to keep them in. Dogs in peoples houses, again good fences. Occasionally small villages had dogs loose, but usually they were not interested in us so long as we stayed on the camino path. We had our walking sticks handy, but not held in a threatening manner, as dogs seem to know if you are going to hurt them. There is a lot of barking, which I am not used to so I translated it as dogs, cheering us on saying Buen Camino...silly perhaps but positive and diffuses fear.
Was due to start on 25th April but due to an accident requiring some sutures i am now hoping , hoping to start circa 2nd May. If i do get going , hope to meet you on the way from Seville . Paddy from Dublin , wary of dogs , wary of lots of things but in love with life.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Anyway...just venting.

Hi Tilly, I hope this works (I have never posted on this site, and I might mess this up). Anyway, I have been an hospitalera on the VDLP now for a month. I am so sorry for what you have been going through, and I hope that you find some joy and answers while walking. With regards to people, there are a lot of people coming through the VDLP at the moment (albergues basically full, etc.) For dogs, you should be fine as long as you have ´bastones´ (sticks) . If you are afraid and are approached by a dog, just lift your stick, and the dog will retreat. Also, you can use your sticks for other animals in the way (cows, pigs, etc.) and for balance, etc. It is starting to get hot on the Sevilla-Salamanca leg, however, so please be careful . It is still cool-cold between Salamanca and Santiago. Blessings and best of luck to you. Buen Camino!!

Hi Tilly, I hope this works (I have never posted on this site, and I might mess this up). Anyway, I have been an hospitalera on the VDLP now for a month. I am so sorry for what you have been going through, and I hope that you find some joy and answers while walking. With regards to people, there are a lot of people coming through the VDLP at the moment (albergues basically full, etc.) For dogs, you should be fine as long as you have ´bastones´ (sticks) . If you are afraid and are approached by a dog, just lift your stick, and the dog will retreat. Also, you can use your sticks for other animals in the way (cows, pigs, etc.) and for balance, etc. It is starting to get hot on the Sevilla-Salamanca leg, however, so please be careful . It is still cool-cold between Salamanca and Santiago. Blessings and best of luck to you. Buen Camino!!
Thanks Kerin. Where are you located?

Dear compañera, the Vía de la Plata presents a beautiful balance between solitude and shared moments at the end of the day, it is a stressing time you are going through, but you are brave and positive, that will be the greatest help.
I would seriously consider skipping the first stage and start directly in Guillena, like somebody else suggested above.

¡Buen camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Anyway...just venting.

Hi Tilly. When will you start walking? I'm currently walking the Via Augusta and will arrive in Sevilla on Thursday, April 27th. I plan to take a rest day there and start walking the VdlP on Saturday, 29 April. I don't know when you will start walking, but if you are starting your VdlP on the 29th of April I would be more than happy to walk with you on the first stage to get you past the dogs if you want. Let me know.

I've been planning this Camino for months (tickets booked, pack ready to go) and just a few days before my flight, I seriously had one of those "what the hell am I doing?" moments. I came anyway and am currently sitting in El Cuervo de Sevilla, after my walk from Jerez de la Frontera, very happy I did and so grateful for the Camino. I'm sure you will feel the same when you come. Sending you courage to follow your heart.

Hi Tilly. When will you start walking? I'm currently walking the Via Augusta and will arrive in Sevilla on Thursday, April 27th. I plan to take a rest day there and start walking the VdlP on Saturday, 29 April. I don't know when you will start walking, but if you are starting your VdlP on the 29th of April I would be more than happy to walk with you on the first stage to get you past the dogs if you want. Let me know.

I've been planning this Camino for months (tickets booked, pack ready to go) and just a few days before my flight, I seriously had one of those "what the hell am I doing?" moments. I came anyway and am currently sitting in El Cuervo de Sevilla, after my walk from Jerez de la Frontera, very happy I did and so grateful for the Camino. I'm sure you will feel the same when you come. Sending you courage to follow your heart.
Hi Jim , hoping my Doc will clear me to go after removing some sutures on Thursday, fingers crossed. Might get to meet you guys yet. Avoid the dog problem ( and others ) by taking a local bus to Santiponce , outskirts of Seville which is recommende by many pilgrims.

Hi Jim. I don't arrive in Seville until May 3, or I would take you up on your offer! As many have said to catch a ride to Guillena I probably should but I am stubborn and need to see myself why people would say that.

Hi Jim , hoping my Doc will clear me to go after removing some sutures on Thursday, fingers crossed. Might get to meet you guys yet. Avoid the dog problem ( and others ) by taking a local bus to Santiponce , outskirts of Seville which is recommende by many pilgrims.

Excellent Paddy!! Really hope we run into each other sooner or later along the way. Hope all goes well with the doctor and that you can walk as planned. Keep in touch! Would be lovely to meet you.

Hi Jim. I don't arrive in Seville until May 3, or I would take you up on your offer! As many have said to catch a ride to Guillena I probably should but I am stubborn and need to see myself why people would say that.

Hi, the issue is, you are leaving the outskirsts of a big city, quite a lot of traffic, a river that you might not be able to cross easily, dogs, slums, roads... those are the reasons why I skipped Sevilla-Guillena.

Buen camino, it is only next week, yipee!!!

Hi Tilly my wife and I are arriving in Seville on the 3rd may and ,after a visit to Cadiz ,plan to start walking on the 6thMay . You are more than welcome to walk with us if our paths cross. This is our 3rd Camino and I hope to walk all the way,my wife is walking the first week and hopefully can join me later again

Hi Tilly my wife and I are arriving in Seville on the 3rd may and ,after a visit to Cadiz ,plan to start walking on the 6thMay . You are more than welcome to walk with us if our paths cross. This is our 3rd Camino and I hope to walk all the way,my wife is walking the first week and hopefully can join me later again
Thanks Kevin. I'll watch for you in Seville. Ha! I am booked into the Triana May 3 and 4 with plans to start walking on the 5th.

Hi Tilly.

Looks like I will be a few days ahead of you. I'll be taking some rest days between Sevilla and Santiago so I hope we meet up along the way. I personally think you are doing the right thing. I've gone through a similar situation and the Camino has been a real blessing for me. Life is precious and fleeting. Take the chance to follow your heart no matter where it leads. The Camino has a way of opening hearts. Take care and have a wonderful Camino adventure!!

Hi Tilly

Congrats on your courageous life changes! The camino is an adventure and so is life

I want to give you advice but I think that may rob you of something so instead I will tell you my experience.

I went to do the Norte a couple of years ago, but with a very open mind. I wanted solitude. Mountains. Testing. Introspection. All very serious.

I got kidnapped by a crazy Irish lady at Biarritz airport and ended up on the Frances. The fun, the community spirit, the joy, everything, was the exact opposite of what I was looking for and exactly what I needed.

Last year I went back to the Norte. It was tough, I nearly quit, at my lowest ebb I found strength and thearfter frie nds and then everything got better. It was wonderful. But again I found something I needed not what I thought.

But I realised the Frances was right the first time.

If you are worriwant d about feeling alone maybe doing a quieter route is a different thing for you. I wanted to be along and found I needed people. Then when I went to find people I found myself alone.

You will likely find what you need, but for me, that meant keeping a flexible open mind.

Have a great time whatever you do

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Tilly

Congrats on your courageous life changes! The camino is an adventure and so is life

I want to give you advice but I think that may rob you of something so instead I will tell you my experience.

I went to do the Norte a couple of years ago, but with a very open mind. I wanted solitude. Mountains. Testing. Introspection. All very serious.

I got kidnapped by a crazy Irish lady at Biarritz airport and ended up on the Frances. The fun, the community spirit, the joy, everything, was the exact opposite of what I was looking for and exactly what I needed.

Last year I went back to the Norte. It was tough, I nearly quit, at my lowest ebb I found strength and thearfter frie nds and then everything got better. It was wonderful. But again I found something I needed not what I thought.

But I realised the Frances was right the first time.

If you are worriwant d about feeling alone maybe doing a quieter route is a different thing for you. I wanted to be along and found I needed people. Then when I went to find people I found myself alone.

You will likely find what you need, but for me, that meant keeping a flexible open mind.

Have a great time whatever you do
There you go Tilly,,,,,,, just meet a crazy Irishwoman and just like Markus you will enjoy the " Craic ". Craic is an Irishism for fun , frivolity, madness ,kindness , love and enjoyment of life . Wish i could have been the Irishman to share it with you but a simple accident confines me to Irelands shore Had planned the Via for 25th April but now i think it will be 2018. What the hell , thats life . Enjoy your walk , have fun ,,,,,,,,,,,,,live . Vaya con Dios ,,,,,,,,,,,,,Paddy

There you go Tilly,,,,,,, just meet a crazy Irishwoman and just like Markus you will enjoy the " Craic ". Craic is an Irishism for fun , frivolity, madness ,kindness , love and enjoyment of life . Wish i could have been the Irishman to share it with you but a simple accident confines me to Irelands shore Had planned the Via for 25th April but now i think it will be 2018. What the hell , thats life . Enjoy your walk , have fun ,,,,,,,,,,,,,live . Vaya con Dios ,,,,,,,,,,,,,Paddy

Sorry you can't make it Paddy. I was going to be on the lookout for you.

I contemplated not going up until three days ago, but I am all in now and leave in the morning. I need more time to get my head straight before I embark on part 2 of my life.

Sorry you can't make it Paddy. I was going to be on the lookout for you.

I contemplated not going up until three days ago, but I am all in now and leave in the morning. I need more time to get my head straight before I embark on part 2 of my life.

Great, Tilly! Have a wonderful Camino - even when it's hard hope it ends up being exactly what you needed for this time in your life. Bon voyage and Buen Camino!

Great, Tilly! Have a wonderful Camino - even when it's hard hope it ends up being exactly what you needed for this time in your life. Bon voyage and Buen Camino!
Bon Voyage Tilly or as we say in Gaelic " Go Neiri an bothar leat " may the road rise with you..........I am so jealous of you guys , Have fun , Paddy

Actually, it is the BIG "Feria de Sevilla" week this week, if you do not have accommodation arranged, you might find problems to get somewhere to sleep in town. Sevillans love their Feria festival, but beware if you go see the Feria you will not be allowed into most of the "houses" there, they are private and you need to be invited if you want to join the party!

If you are staying in Triana, try one of the famous quails at Ruperto, full of locals and tasty food, and it is also scargot/snail season, you will see them all over, go ahead, be brave and taste them, the broth that comes with them is yummy.

I think and hope Tilly , that you are already a few days along the VdlP, and that the camino is doing its thing, enveloping you, challenging you and giving you all variety of experiences. I know we'd all love to hear how it's going, when you get the chance, but only if you wish to share.

The VdlP was our first camino in 2006 and we've done it or parts of, a number of times since. Dogs were more of a problem back then, but we've noticed, as pilgrim numbers increase, that dogs have become used to us and are not usually much of a problem. I'm also afraid of big angry dogs and have successfully used the 'picking up a pretend stone and throwing it' technique and sometimes standing and shouting as Peregrina2000 mentioned.

My pretend stone act worked so well here in Oz, a yappy dog owner threatened to report me for animal cruelty. He swore he saw a stone.

Buen camino Tilly.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back