• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Thoughts and Questions about Camino Le Puy

Cjhubbs97

Time of past OR future Camino
Summer and Fall 2016
So as many of you have probably noticed, over the past couple of days I have been considering walking the Camino 'Tours' route or the Camino 'Le Puy' route in a couple of years. At this time I am heavily leaning towards the Camino ' Le Puy' because of time constraints, lack of a proper trail. and also because it sounds that you all consider that route to be a more enjoyable experience than the route from Paris. With all this said I (and my parents) have some questions. Firstly, I have done some research on the overall weather in Le Puy from April-June but haven't been able to decide what would be an ideal month to walk. I am hoping to walk from Le Puy to Santiago and wouldn't like to pack a ton of extra clothes and equipment for extremely cold weather for 'Le Puy' when most of it will be extremely unnecessary for Spain in June and July (thus a lot of it would become dead weight. I am wondering if you all think it would be better for me to start walking in Le Puy in early May, mid May or late May so as to avoid as much of the extreme cold as possible? Also, from your personal experiences was much of the 'Le Puy' route considerably cold even into May?

My parents were also wondering how safe the route from Le Puy to St Jean, they seem to think the route is rather unsafe and at this time are uncomfortable with me going without a person who has experienced the Camino before. From what I have read so far I never received the impression that the route was unsafe and that many people walk it alone, obviously one shouldn't leave their money and important documents out in plain site, but I figure you all would be more knowledgeable in this area and can tell me the truth about whether the route is 'safe' enough for a 19 year old American to traverse without much danger. Lastly, I was wondering how important it would be to learn French before one embarks on this route? Is it very important to have a general overview of the language or could one get buy without learning much of the language? Also if you do suggest to have a basic knowledge in French is there any programs you think might be useful to learn French with? Thanks for the help!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I can't speak to most of your questions, as I haven't yet walked the Le Puy route (I'm starting May 31 of this year). However, learning some French would definitely be beneficial. Not only would communication be much easier, since most French people don't speak English very well if at all, but you wouldn't be the "rude American." Learning some of the local language is always beneficial, and much appreciated by the locals. Just be sure to work on your accent if you do decide to learn some French, because Anglo accents in French can be VERY difficult to understand.

The route was dangerous in the days when the Bete of the Gevaudan ate 100 women and children ( early 1700'sI think).

They have made considerable progress since then, and I can't for the life of me thing of anything particularly dangerous on the route. Not much traffic, no cliffs, no big towns with thieves, just the usual meteorites and lightning issues.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
To learn French, go to Verbal Planet and find the teacher Julian, for one on one lessons on video skype. He is by far the best of many I work with.

To learn some French here are my suggestions:
  1. Go to your local library and take out the Pimsleur French CDs. (Many libraries have them and if they don't they can get them via interlibrary loan.) Please note, Pimsleur CDs. They are the best IMO.
  2. You are 19 and can probably find a French course in a community college or adult evening course near you. Take several of these courses...you have plenty of time to do so before your Camino begins. Try to select a course that has a native French speaker teaching it. Always do the homework, always come prepared, always volunteer in class, and attend all the classes.
  3. Combine 1 & 2 above. The Pimsleur CDs, if listened to repetitively, will boost your fluency and improve your pronunciation.
Your future Camino will make you a more motivated student and the payoff for all of your language learning efforts will be a more interesting hike, since every morning and every evening the conversation in the gites where you will stay will be mostly in French. And you'll be able to express yourself in shops, restaurants, and to the owners of lodging where you might wish to make a reservation (more and more recommended on the Le Puy route). You won't achieve fluency in a year, but you can make a lot of headway.

Tom

I've walked it twice.

1. No particular dangers. A well marked trail. Moderate number of walkers, some if whom will go all the way, some of whom will just be weekend hikers.
2. A bit if basic French helps but I've always coped by smiling, waiving my hands and drawing pictures - sometimes with hilarious results. Learn how to ask for a bed and a meal.
3. Get a copy of Miam Miam Dodo (in French but easy to understand) and study it with your parents - it will help them to see where you are going, what services are available.
4. Organise a mobile phone to keep in touch with your parents along the way - there are threads on the forum with information on prepaid mobiles in France.
5. If your parents are really worried is there any chance that one of them could walk the first week with you? That is what my husband did the first time I walked the Camino - and once he could see I would be OK he was happy to let me go on by myself.
6. Spend lots of time in this forum and ask as many questions as you like! It's all fun.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Forgot to answer question about time to go - May/June is my suggestion, so you would be walking into summer. With careful layering of clothes you won't need much - but start watching for cheap merino (thrift shops, sales) - I am fine in a merino t-shirt with merino cardigan and light wind/rain proof top layer. Thermal long johns stuck in the pack don't weigh much but are good as nightclothes as well as for cold snaps.

Thank you all so much for the help, really appreciate it! I thought the trail was safe enough, encouraging to know I wasn't to off base. Although I hope I don't run into the ghost of Bete of the Gevaudan, doesn't sound like a pleasant character at all. I've decided that I'm going to be taking a French course in the fall with school as a way to introduce myself to the language. I definitely like the idea of looking at some Pimsleur CDs in addition to taking the course with school. I'll have to try and find a copy of Miam Miam Dodo soon. I'm actually looking at new phone plans now so I will have to keep a temporary upgrade to an international plan or something similar in mind with the carrier I choose. So it sounds like I will be walking on the Le Puy route in a couple of years because it clearly has become the obvious choice for myself and my comrades to take. I was thinking May would be a good month to start in... do you think it would make any difference to start walking in the beginning of May versus the middle of May? Thanks for the help!

Early May is plagued with several long holiday weekends in France, which makes the lodging hunt a challenge. On the other hand, August is very hot and dry, so you'd want to wrap up your trip by the end of July. It is possible to mail home unneeded gear (not cheap, but possible). From a safety and security standpoint, I suspect you are at greater risk in the cities and airports you will be transiting on the way in and the way out. In Spain, where there are more people about, and you spend more time in larger towns, there may be a few more risks. But if you are careful about your cash, credit/ATM cards and travel documents, you should be fine. I like the suggestion to have a parent walk some of the first week with you; they may also enjoy reading the blogs of our various Le Puy walkers.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm actually looking at new phone plans now so I will have to keep a temporary upgrade to an international plan or something similar in mind with the carrier I choose

I think you'll find it's much better just to make sure your phone can be unlocked so that you can buy a sim in the country where you'll be traveling. International plans for American phone companies are almost always staggeringly expensive when you're calling back to the US from another country, no matter how reasonable they may be for calling from here to there.

We started on 25 April 2008 from the cathedral in LePuy. One day of snow (30 Apr) between Nasbinal and Aumont- Aubrac. Otherwise lowest temperature was about 40 degrees F. Unlike some coming from Geneva, we did not take snow gear or gloves and got along well, except for one rainy and cold day on the Aubrac Plateau the first week, where we used extra socks. Once downhill at St Come d'Olt, the temperature rose about ten degrees F. We planned for 50 degree F days and generally got that, and even warmer.

Echo what has been said about early May. A plethora of national vacations the first week (May Day, VE Day, Pentecost), plus a weekend. Seems everyone wanted to walk and stay in a gite that week! Otherwise, things settled down after the first week. Despite having to book lodging, we found something every night for two. As mention above, almost all tourist offices in large town had English speakers quite helpful in letting you book ahead. Miam Miam Dodo also designated gites where English is spoken. In addition to making your stay that much easier, they can also call ahead and make reservations for you. Towards the end of our French portion, we found ourselves using this method to book several days in advance.

Some hot days in France, and zippered trousers that could convert to shorts offered a real advantage. Went over the Pyrennes on 25 May on a warm day, although we weer hit by hail after arriving in Roncevalles. We found that at that elevation, days proved cold the first few days. Very wet the first week also, and roughly fifty degree F days. "Sunny Spain" remained illusive until the last ten days, 16-25 June. Had several pairs of shorts sent ahead to the post office for pick up in Pamplona, which we sent right back. Kept fleece jacket and vest alone with slicker and cover for sac a dos/mochilla, which proved sufficient.

Main security threat was not Bete de Gauvadan, but snorers in gites/alberques (including one of us).

Buen Camino

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for your advice and suggestions, I really appreciate them all! I'm thinking that my comrades and I will begin walking from Le Puy the 2nd full week of May (so we can attempt to miss the bulk of the holidays you mentioned in the first week of the month). Glad to hear the route is pretty safe as long as you use common sense. I'll have to look into the options we have for phones while were over in France and Spain, thats one of the few things I haven't really attempted to read anything about yet. After reading the synopsis of your Trip McAleerSherry it sounds like my general outline for our trip was pretty accurate. At the moment the general outline of our pilgrimage has us start walking to Le Puy on May 10th, arriving in Saint Jean on June 21st, and arriving in Santiago on August 1st. This outline also includes us taking two days off from walking every week and is a total of around 83 days start to finish. So now that I have a general idea of our route and length I have at least one more major question to ask you all. How much money do you think I should take to walk this route? I have heard that 1000 euro a month was sufficient for the Camino Frances route but does this hold true for the Le Puy and if so do you think 3000 euro for the entire trip be sufficient or do you think I would need more money? Thanks for the help!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
We are six years out of date, but others have addressed this question in earlier posts and have provided very good responses. In general, our most expensive daily cost was lodging, followed closely by meals. We stayed at hotels in France at least twice as reservations elsewhere were not available. They were the most costly expenses. At the other extreme, donatavio albergues/gites were a good investment, albeit often crowded and completo the peak times you will be traveling. Recommend that you look at the on-line Miam Miam Dodo http://www.chemindecompostelle.com/Selection/CarteFrance.html to get a rough idea of private gites and their costs (unfortunately this version appears to have only about half the gites listed in the printed copy, but offers a sample). Also recommend that you look at Margaret Riodan's blog, http://chemincamino08.blogspot.com if you haven't already. It is chock full of good advise, although she is also "class of 2008," like us, and a bit dated. Another good site for the Camino Frances is http://www.mundicamino.com/rutas.cfm?id=15.

The second major cost will be meals. The gites often offer demi-pension meals at extra cost. They are great to fill up and enjoy the cameraderie, especially if you know some French or are with one or more English speakers. We missed these dinners in the Spanish portion. At the other extreme, a number of French people and particular made do by fixing very good meals from cans. Most gites/albergues had kitchens that permitted them to cook cheaply for themselves. (At your age, if you are male, you may need to fill up on more, however.) In Spain, the menu de peligrino is pretty standard, albeit boring after a while, although some bars in large towns serve tapas.

The third possible cost might be injuries. If you have to make reservations in the French portion, if behooves you to arrive on time where you have a reserved space. Other places may well be unavailable. If you get injured on a particular etape, taxi service may well be mandatory (approx. one euro per kilometer) to get you to your night's accomo:)dations.

A long winded way to say that your estimate is probably all right but a little on the low side. Keep a reserve handy in case of contingencies. (One social worker we met in France had gotten laid off her job and was doing the Camino Podenisis on unemployment compensation!) Austere is doable, but you will have to sacrifice a bit in meals and nice accomodations (a number of people in Spain tended to rent a hotel room in each city they came to [weekly] in order to take a break from crowded alberques).

A final word on language. You can do each portion without knowing the language, although it is enjoyable to communicate with as many other pelerins/pelegrinos as possible. We invested in phrase books in French and found that 60 percent of our communication involved some twenty phrases, "do you have room for two, or bunks for two? etc." You can get by, although the more of each language you know, the better.:)

I would budget 35-40 euros/day in France, and I'm guessing 20-25E in Spain, plus train/bus and assorted sundries. Remember that North Americans are limited to a 90-day stay in the Schengen visa area (which includes France and Spain).

So as many of you have probably noticed, over the past couple of days I have been considering walking the Camino 'Tours' route or the Camino 'Le Puy' route in a couple of years. At this time I am heavily leaning towards the Camino ' Le Puy' because of time constraints, lack of a proper trail. and also because it sounds that you all consider that route to be a more enjoyable experience than the route from Paris. With all this said I (and my parents) have some questions. Firstly, I have done some research on the overall weather in Le Puy from April-June but haven't been able to decide what would be an ideal month to walk. I am hoping to walk from Le Puy to Santiago and wouldn't like to pack a ton of extra clothes and equipment for extremely cold weather for 'Le Puy' when most of it will be extremely unnecessary for Spain in June and July (thus a lot of it would become dead weight. I am wondering if you all think it would be better for me to start walking in Le Puy in early May, mid May or late May so as to avoid as much of the extreme cold as possible? Also, from your personal experiences was much of the 'Le Puy' route considerably cold even into May?

My parents were also wondering how safe the route from Le Puy to St Jean, they seem to think the route is rather unsafe and at this time are uncomfortable with me going without a person who has experienced the Camino before. From what I have read so far I never received the impression that the route was unsafe and that many people walk it alone, obviously one shouldn't leave their money and important documents out in plain site, but I figure you all would be more knowledgeable in this area and can tell me the truth about whether the route is 'safe' enough for a 19 year old American to traverse without much danger. Lastly, I was wondering how important it would be to learn French before one embarks on this route? Is it very important to have a general overview of the language or could one get buy without learning much of the language? Also if you do suggest to have a basic knowledge in French is there any programs you think might be useful to learn French with? Thanks for the help!
I walked both the Tours and Le Puy routes last year. The Le Puy route was spectacular and I look forward to walking it again some day. One of my favorite things about that route is that every single little village seems to have a tourist office with an English speaker. They're really helpful. The people who live along the route are extremely kind. I think I heard more "bonjour"s on the Le Puy route than "buen camino"s on the Frances.

If you bring a smartphone with a data plan (I used ATT - think it was $60/mo for 300mb) the Google Translate app is tremendous because it stores everything you've ever translated so you'll build up a personal dictionary of your most frequently used expressions. It practically freaked out the Basques when I declared "Garagardo bat nahi dut!" ("I want a beer!") in Basque at a bar in Larceveux. I got by 90% of the time with "bonjour", "avez vous", "je voudrais", "s'il vous plais" and my personal favorite "Je ne pas parle Francais". Just remember when you get to Montcuq, pronounce it with a hard "q", overwise you'll be referring to your own rear-end.

It seemed very safe. I'm a guy and did it "alone" but met many women walking alone as well. One got bit by a dog heading into Moissac; she didn't have poles or a stick.

As for the Tours route, there's a ton to see but the route is very developed and there's a new TGV line under construction from Paris to Bordeaux. French trains are a very pleasant experience and even without the new TGV, a train trip stopping at Orleans, Tours, Poitiers, Saintes, Bordeaux and Dax would be really nice. Some of the walking is very nice too, especially the five or so days between Dax and SJPdP.

In terms of clothes/weather, think layers. I started Le Puy in mid-late April and was warm enough wearing pretty much everything I had (t-shirt, cashmere sweater (yeah - cashmere!) and thin rain shell, even in a snow storm headed into Saugues(sp?). I'm very glad I had good gloves and a ski cap. After Le Puy - Pamplona I took the summer off and walked Tours - SdC in the fall, finishing Nov 8th. The temperature range was from over 90f in early Sept to freezing in Galicia. The layering thing worked in all climates. I used to make fun of pants with zip-off legs but they're really pretty awesome.

The single best thing I've ever read about the Le Puy route is KiwiNomad's blog http://chemincamino08.blogspot.com/

Bon chemin!

Last edited:
I am currently 9 days into the Le Puy route (Conques). I have had nothing but wonderful experiences, no crime or violence. The way is very well marked and the family (group) I have fallen in with sre totally supportive. Obvious precautions with valuables stand as always, bon chemin, Richard

Hi,
Last year was a little horrendous for weather after leaving Le Puy towards the end of May 2013 we had snow for 3 days. According to locals that was rather exceptionnal. We've just come back (30th May) after doing Aire sur l'Adour to SJPdP and there were up to 35°C, a nice change from last year. As others have noted the GR 65 is very well waymarked, just a bit of trouble finding the way out of some towns. I can't think of one single incident anywhere that I would have deemed unsafe, a couple of parts of the trail with stones and mud, that's all, but nothing crimewise. Enjoy your planning.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

About the weather: we just returned from hiking Le Puy to Conques. Started May 29 and finished 10 days later. Weather was better than we expected, with mostly sunny days and highs in the low 60s to start with the low to mid-70s by the end. One day it rained on and off, and another day we had mist and some rain for an hour or so. We did fine in the Aubrac Hills - highs around 58 - but we felt fortunate to leave them when we did: the day after we left the Aubrac it was supposed to get to 49 degrees, with light rain (that's pretty chilly in my book). I think one forum said there was some snow in the Aubrac the end of May last year. Based only on this year's experience, I would say late May to early June was just about right for hiking weather for Le Puy to Conques.

I started at Le Puy May 4th, only had 1 wet day going into Eauze, exceptional weather. As for safety - I never felt unsafe, no violence, no petty stealing, the trust level was definately higher than in Spain. My only advice is to learn the language, then you will not feel isolated. The old adage is "when in France you walk with the French - when in Spain you walk with the world" Bon Chemin.

About the weather: we just returned from hiking Le Puy to Conques. Started May 29 and finished 10 days later. Weather was better than we expected, with mostly sunny days and highs in the low 60s to start with the low to mid-70s by the end. One day it rained on and off, and another day we had mist and some rain for an hour or so. We did fine in the Aubrac Hills - highs around 58 - but we felt fortunate to leave them when we did: the day after we left the Aubrac it was supposed to get to 49 degrees, with light rain (that's pretty chilly in my book). I think one forum said there was some snow in the Aubrac the end of May last year. Based only on this year's experience, I would say late May to early June was just about right for hiking weather for Le Puy to Conques.

Yes I mentioned that I'd had snow last year from around the 26th/27th May for three days. Started in Fay, on the non GR route (but the real one) through Monistrol until we got the chapel St Roch just after Le Sauvage.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Early May is plagued with several long holiday weekends in France, which makes the lodging hunt a challenge. On the other hand, August is very hot and dry, so you'd want to wrap up your trip by the end of July. It is possible to mail home unneeded gear (not cheap, but possible). From a safety and security standpoint, I suspect you are at greater risk in the cities and airports you will be transiting on the way in and the way out. In Spain, where there are more people about, and you spend more time in larger towns, there may be a few more risks. But if you are careful about your cash, credit/ATM cards and travel documents, you should be fine. I like the suggestion to have a parent walk some of the first week with you; they may also enjoy reading the blogs of our various Le Puy walkers.
Hi There I like your entries and had a question, being my first Camino I wa wondering if the Lu Puy route in July would be good? I speak french so want to start there will it be terribly hot ?

@ScottDickson: The interior of San Diego County, where you live, has weather very much like the Le Puy route in July. Temps will be warmer than in the spring, of course, with highs ranging from high 80'sF to low 100'sF, depending on the year. The French mainly take their holidays in August, which will be warmer than July. It would be good to regularly book a day or two ahead, as many gites will close or take long weekends off in the slow months of summer, especially if no guests are booked in.

Thank you Ms.Kitsambler for getting back with me, I know I am getting a late start but it’s the only time slot I have this year. Does this part of the trip offer more cover and is the low volume of Pilgrims going to make for a lonely walk? I’ll be solo.

If you would be so kind to help me in budgeting with some idea of what a reasonable per day cost might be for basic food and accommodations?

Thanks in advance for your good insights, I really appreciate it and will certainly pay it forward!

Warm regards,

Scott

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you all so much for the help, really appreciate it! I thought the trail was safe enough, encouraging to know I wasn't to off base. Although I hope I don't run into the ghost of Bete of the Gevaudan, doesn't sound like a pleasant character at all. I've decided that I'm going to be taking a French course in the fall with school as a way to introduce myself to the language. I definitely like the idea of looking at some Pimsleur CDs in addition to taking the course with school. I'll have to try and find a copy of Miam Miam Dodo soon. I'm actually looking at new phone plans now so I will have to keep a temporary upgrade to an international plan or something similar in mind with the carrier I choose. So it sounds like I will be walking on the Le Puy route in a couple of years because it clearly has become the obvious choice for myself and my comrades to take. I was thinking May would be a good month to start in... do you think it would make any difference to start walking in the beginning of May versus the middle of May? Thanks for the help!

Dont worry about the Bete, I met it last year and it lost to me in a drinking challenge so I've sent it to live in Wales as penance!

For private gites with demi-pension, 40-45 euros. Some towns you'll be able to find cheaper, others not. It's an average that does not include transportation in or out.

Hi Ms. Kitsambler, It getting more real for me now, I leave in 15 days for Lu Puy! Thanks for your good advise. Would you suggest buying the 2014 Miam Miam DODO before I leave or would I be able to pick one up in Lu Puy? Is there a 2015 edition?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You will be able to find a 2015 edition of the Miam-miam dodo book in LePuy. Even at some of the small tobacco and news shops.

You will be able to find a 2015 edition of the Miam-miam dodo book in LePuy. Even at some of the small tobacco and news shops.
So I leave for the walk tomorrow!

I'll be coming into Paris and am wondering if there is a recommended gait there to stay at?

Thank you so much for all this great dialog!

I'll be following you, Scott, on-line and literally- 2 weeks behind...
I want to ask on this thread, for a recommendation to stay in Le Puy.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Son, you will have the time of your life! Just remember to open any conversation with a French person with "bonjour" or "bonsoir/matin" Madame, Monsiieur or Mams'elle- they are sticklers for formality. Smile, be polite, say "s'il vous plait" and "merci" and be especially polite to women and older men. As my father used to say, politeness costs nothing and it buys you a lot. DON'T be the Rude American! I still cringe at the memory of an American coming into a bar where I was having a quiet drink who said to the barman "Gimme a Jack Daniel's." He was served politely, but frostily!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back